PDA

View Full Version : War Altar...

badgeraddict
23-01-2008, 19:50
Hi once again!

War Altar...any good?

Recently got myself one because it sounds fantastic (and because I'm painting it up right now to look like the Popemobile:)).

Any Tacticial advice for me? It's having its baptisem of fire against Skaven tomorrow.

Badgeraddict

Caboose123
23-01-2008, 20:37
Ah, i think its a wonderful creation, and use it in my 2k games.

What i do is give the "driver" the Armour of meteoric iron, for a nice save, and sword of might, or GW or anything really. The Arch Lector has 2 bound spells, and the war altar has another (the level 6 spell on the lore of light is incredibly devastating, as are the 2 soul fires coming towards the enemy's unit). Make sure you have other magic in the list, so they have difficulty dispelling everything.

With 2 soulfires combatting knights is a good idea, they usually cant get S7 (even though the altar has a ward save, its still easier to kill than the driver, and without it, the driver will die) as GWs will only give +1 S, You can ignore their armour with soulfire, after this, you can head towards the centre of the battle line and attempt to unleash the cleansing flare from the chariot. The doomfire ring and the orb of thunder should feature in armies with the war altar, as well as at least 1 other spell caster, would advice 2 or more extra ones though...

badgeraddict
23-01-2008, 20:49
I'm taking 2 wizards and a priest also for magic/magic defence.

Thinking of giving 'the pope' Van Hortsmanns thingymagig.

Not a lot of S7 with Skaven...unless he takes Orge Maneaters...they will be a problem...Cannons!

Caboose123
23-01-2008, 20:58
Meh, hes not really a fighter, he uses his magic to kill things, he is unbreakable (IIRC) so causing no wounds during the combat phase is not really a problem, IMHO.

Points would be better spent on protecting him, or other units to assist him. Van hostmanns should be saved for a wizard who uses lore of beasts and choose the Bears anger :)
"So you get my Vampie lord's stats..."
"No, actually i get a really p***ed off Vampire lord's stats..."

That'll wipe the smile of those Ws 7 or 8 heroes/lords!

badgeraddict
23-01-2008, 21:13
hehe possibly...still pondering

However your advice is very muchly appreciated!

Anyone else with advice? Must be surely!

Yade
23-01-2008, 21:37
Hi once again!

War Altar...any good?

Recently got myself one because it sounds fantastic (and because I'm painting it up right now to look like the Popemobile:)).

Any Tacticial advice for me? It's having its baptisem of fire against Skaven tomorrow.

Badgeraddict

Yes, its a beast. We call if the fantasy land raider. Remember that he can heal himself and the chariot with the heal prayer.

Caboose123
23-01-2008, 22:21
Its not that hard to destroy, people target the altar instead of the lector usually, and one S7 wound=Kaboom=Not good...

Still, it is very powerful, essential for a priest army! Lector + 1 wizard (for combat magic power, and maybe a dispel scroll) As many priests as possible, and small units of knights for the priests to join...

Dasqueek-Master Assassin
26-01-2008, 00:09
just watch out for the WLC rolling str 7 and you should be fine. but you also might want to look out for the SAD with 5 str5 D6 shots apiece of warplightning...

Jack of Blades
26-01-2008, 00:30
Arch Lector + Spellcasting Items + War Altar + Armour of Meteoric Iron if the spellcasting items leave any place (spellcasting items are first priority). Then choose Cleansing Flare as the bound spell. I mean, Cleansing Flare as a bound spell?! how neat isn't that!

elotsip
26-01-2008, 00:33
I use mine all the time, I have an empire army with the arch lector, 2 priests and a wizard. It does pretty good. Lots of magic and even more magic defence.
It's pretty tough and people tend to focus on it but it doesn't usually do that much but it can tie untis up and gets some great magic.

drdenner
17-02-2008, 13:32
Yes, its a beast. We call if the fantasy land raider. Remember that he can heal himself and the chariot with the heal prayer.

Uhm can he? Cant prayers can only target a unit champion, a character or the priest him self?

Oberon
17-02-2008, 13:41
Points would be better spent on protecting him, or other units to assist him. Van hostmanns should be saved for a wizard who uses lore of beasts and choose the Bears anger :)

While bears anger+speculum is very great in challenges, imagine a jaguar scar veteran, or a GW-wielding vampire, or anything like that charging down your war altar. Now, without the mirror the said monster can just whack your altar to bits, while you pound him back with that allmighty str4 hand weapon, fuelled by hatred. You lose, your general gets run down, and the game is lost. But! With the speculum, the vile enemy is reduced to str 6, and you will win/hold him until help arrives.
Speculum acts as an insurance, no armour can save the arch lector from a determined foe, but a mere mirror can do it.

Chaos Mortal
17-02-2008, 13:47
it really is good try to take as many bound items as you can then priests and wizards =)

Jack of Blades
17-02-2008, 14:39
Meh, hes not really a fighter, he uses his magic to kill things, he is unbreakable (IIRC) so causing no wounds during the combat phase is not really a problem, IMHO.

"So you get my Vampie lord's stats..."
"No, actually i get a really p***ed off Vampire lord's stats..."

That'll wipe the smile of those Ws 7 or 8 heroes/lords!

Wow, that's epic :D

Lvl 4 Wizard with a Van Horstmann's Speculum, Lore of Beasts and some other nice things against a Chaos Lord... 8 WS8 S7 Attacks :wtf:
I don't really know much about Arch Lectors, but imo get something that helps the rest of your army on him... not something for personal combat.

Chaos Mortal
17-02-2008, 16:58
wow who would have though wizard lords could be so deadly in combat lol

drdenner
18-02-2008, 22:50
"Yes, its a beast. We call if the fantasy land raider. Remember that he can heal himself and the chariot with the heal prayer."

Uhm can he? Cant prayers can only target a unit champion, a character or the priest him self?

Chicago Slim
19-02-2008, 02:42
"Yes, its a beast. We call if the fantasy land raider. Remember that he can heal himself and the chariot with the heal prayer."

Yep. It's to do with how the Prayers of Sigmar are worded (specifically, the fact that the healing prayer specifies that "the model" is healed of any wounds suffered).

So, the Priest casts the Prayer, with himself as the target; both the rider and the mount are affected.

Same's true of the 4+ ward prayer (obviously, not something the Arch Lector will cast on himself, since he's already got one, but it's nice when he casts it on a Lord on a Griffon, giving both rider and mount the 4+ ward!)

superduperkoopatrooper
19-02-2008, 16:22
I think Van Horstmann's Speculum is a popular choice to deny Str 7 enemy characters the chance to destroy the altar in combat.

Does the Lector not gain +2 save from being mounted in a chariot? In which case giving him heavy armour and enchanted shield is a cheaper alternative to AofMI.