PDA

View Full Version : Gender of the Gods of Chaos

Wraithbored
26-09-2005, 23:01
Okay the gender of Slaanesh has been discussed to death, but there is another chaos power that is surely interesting to discuss:

Tzeentch:
Tzeentch is most definitely female, immagine how a male could be so sneaky, underhanded, manipulative, greedy, amibitious, etc. etc. All tradmearks of the new age emanicipated female.
Also she uses her minions only as long as they provide some use then they are discard like broken or useless toys. She demands abosulte loaylty but she frowns if you expect the same from her.

These are just my preliminary "findings" i will add more with time.

P.S. This thread IS NOT meant to be about gender bashing or sexual discrimination of any kind, it is just a jest on human gender stereotypes, that the two sexes overimposed on each other. With this in mind carry on the debate in cynical yet as kind as possible tones! ;)

devolutionary
26-09-2005, 23:09
How can you possibly attribute a gender to Chaos Gods? They are written about from a male point of view, and so earn the title of "Him", but they are genderless, yes even Slaanesh. The only Daemons with an obvious gender are those of Slaanesh, but only in the lower ranks. Tzeentch in particular can never be locked in to one gender, if only because he/she/it is the stuff fo change itself.

Wraithbored
26-09-2005, 23:10
^See Title of this thread, to understand it's nature

Khaine's Messenger
26-09-2005, 23:14
They are all cogenitors*. Once they may have been submissive, subservient, but they were the glue that bonded all things together, and without them, nothing could be born, nothing facillitated. They could be a real political force if they could be agitated, because they, some people believe, are the heart of a real power-base. And the Chaos Gods, unlike some of the more submissive facillitators of history, have taken their place....

*Sorry for that. Last Star Trek reference of the day.

Iuris
27-09-2005, 07:08
Oh dear.

Well, following from the fluff, we get four males, one female and one hermaphrodite, since Slaanesh is keeping his/her/its oprions open.

If we do get to the point of comparing the personalities of the chaos gods to the male and female stereotypes, we get similar results. Khorne's aggressiveness is the male hallmark. Tzeentch, contrary to the esteemed colleague's opinion is primarily about ambition, which is actually better pronounced in males than in females. Slaanesh is, well, toeing the line. The closest to the female is actually Nurgle, with his protective attitude and rather maternal control, but he's still known as father Nurgle, so...

Bauglir
27-09-2005, 09:53
Tzeentch is most definitely female[...]sneaky, underhanded, manipulative, greedy, amibitious, [...]tradmearks of the new age emanicipated female. [...] uses her minions only as long as they provide some use then they are discard like broken or useless toys. [...]abosulte loaylty but she frowns if you expect the same from her.

Been having some problems with your sweetheart lately, haven't you ;) ?

Starchild
27-09-2005, 16:08
Judging from John Blanche's illustrations of the Chaos Powers in Realm of Chaos, here's the verdict:

Tzeentch is apparently androgynous in form, but has masculine references in GW texts. (Gender is never an issue with the archetypal Magician.)

As already discussed, Slaanesh is bisexual, and has both masculine feminine references in GW texts. (She who thirsts, etc.)

Nurgle is male, referred to as "Father Nurgle" in GW texts.

Khorne is male. :skull:

Minister
27-09-2005, 16:49
TO quote myself in a similar discussion on the Fantasy board:

My own opinion is that the Gods have neither gender.

Khorne is usually represented as male, because in the Warhammer world (as in the "real" world), warfare (particularly during the time when it consisted primarily of hitting other people with sharp things) is concidered a male persuit, and so the resonance causes Khorne to be represented as masculine, and to present his humanoid daemons as such to a degree.

Tzeentch is ever shifting. Though it would be equaly valid to represent the Changer of Ways or his daemons as of either gender, males tend to be dominant in the societies of the old world, and so the male pronoun is more common.

Nurgle has a single aspect connected with primarily with the male gender, a paternal style of pride and fondness for his children. In the absence of any female aspects the male pronoun predominates. However, in truth, Grandfather Decay is no more male than the 'flu.

Slannesh is the exception, in that She who Thirsts does have reason to have a gender, however given the nature of Chaos and the domains of the Prince of Pleasure, asigning either exclusivley would be wrong. Therefore, unlike the others, Slannesh would be best represented as being a hermaphrodite .

The eternal problem with the English language in such matters, there's no substitute for "it" to imply something which is animate but neither male or female.

The Beast
27-09-2005, 17:17
The closest to the female is actually Nurgle, with his protective attitude and rather maternal control, but he's still known as father Nurgle, so...

Let me add too that it is usually the men who have bad B.O. They are also usually proud to release some nasty stank when it is truly nasty.

Philip S
27-09-2005, 18:37
The chaos gods are made up from the emotions of people, and as most humanoids in WH have two sexes, then the gods are made up of the emotions of both sexes.

Given stereotypes, it is said that women are more emotional than men so the gods would be made of a disproportionate amount of emotions from women thus the gods would all to slightly female.

As a point, it is emotion not effect that feeds the gods, a person who kills out of hate will feed Khorne far more that an emotionless professional killer.

If, as classic wisdom asserts that males should try to repress their emotions, they are stifling chaos and change.

It may be that in WH, males see the gods as male because they want them to be an opponent, whereas the truth is the gods are a reflection of their inner self, and no one has a worst enemy than themselves.

Chaos (emotion) is already part of the human psyche, as such you canít beat it the best you can do is repress it, but if you follow your heartís desire your can get real power, just in WH you may get a lot more than in reality and a few mutation besidesÖ

Following on with stereotypes, if women really are better at handling their emotions then they are also better at handling chaos and may be far more resistant.

Perhaps our poor male psyche has to resist because it canít cope with chaos and emotion landslide that revelling in it would bring? (Mind you we have beer for that! And men can be very emotional when drunk).

Chaos Ė we made it, itís us without restraints.

Philip

Ex-guest
28-09-2005, 06:57
Gods don't have genders. They are simply identified by their respective followers as male or female. Even the Star Child technically has no gender. Gods are above such mortal things such as different sexes. Thats my theory anyway.... :)

azimaith
28-09-2005, 07:07
Obviously anything they want.

Iuris
28-09-2005, 07:52
Humm, and what about the problem that sex is actually not the way in which warp entities procreate...

Jedi152
28-09-2005, 08:15
...Tzeentch is most definitely female, immagine how a male could be so sneaky, underhanded, manipulative, greedy, amibitious, etc. etc. All tradmearks of the new age emanicipated female.

Been having some problems with your sweetheart lately, haven't you?
I wasn't going to be the first to say it! Have we been having a little female trouble lately Wraithbored?

Wraithbored
28-09-2005, 11:43
^No you weren't the first to say it, but you really should visit our parts(where Iuris, Blackfang, Yerpo and me live) got some nastay female population here, good looking but very very mean, most of em won't think twice about using you to get to what they want/need.

sigur
28-09-2005, 11:48
I have no idea why someone could think that a god could have a gender. Gods are not a lifeform or anything you could compare with it. You also can't say anything about a god's consistence, it's form or it's needs. They can choose whatever seems to suit or whatever our mortal eyes want to see.

Psiweapon
28-09-2005, 22:09
Why can't you stop to question the question itself and just give an answer? Or, alternatively, DO question it, but also DO answer it.

My answer:

Slaanesh' sex is, obviously "yes please" or "very much".

Khorne would be the most male of them. (lol)

Tzeentch would be, I think, androgynous.

And Nurgle would be the most female (As it is the one that haves more children and more akin to reproduction.

And I think that they have traits of both genders, if they're feed by most of the beings in the galaxy, all kinds of influences have mixed and mingled so...