PDA

View Full Version : The Demon Trees

Necrotyr18
23-01-2008, 21:47
Well this list combines two of my favorite things in fantasy, Magic and Good close combat. So it's only natural I do an army that does both of these well. I was thinking about Chaos Tzeentch but after looking at their spells I thought them to be a bit under powered for my liking. So I came to WE which have a whole army of fear along with some really tough spellcasters and my mind was set. I already own all of the models and are in a process of painting them now, and I wanted to get input about what lists would give me a real run for my money. It has hard good success with a few scattered loses but nothing abnormal. So what would rape this:

CHARACTERS

Spellweaver - 305 pts. (Lore of Life)
Level 4
Wand of Wych Elm

Spellsinger - 150 pts. (Athel Loren)
Level 2
Calaingor's Stave

Spellsinger - 125 pts. (Athel Loren)
Level 2

Spellsinger - 125 pts. (Athel Loren)
Level 2
------------------------------
TROOPS

15 Dryads - 192 pts.
Nymph

15 Dryads - 192 pts.
Nymph

15 Dryads - 192 pts.
Nymph
SPECIAL

3 Tree Kin - 215 pts.
Elder

3 Tree Kin - 215 pts.
Elder
RARE

Treeman - 285

Total - - 1996

Magic dice - 12/Dispel Dice - 7(with re-roll)

So thoughts, concerns, or just praise(preferred)

Thanks in advance.

northwoodDreamer
24-01-2008, 00:41
So thoughts, concerns, or just praise(preferred)

Well if you want praise, I'll praise you for having a very different WE list from any that I have ever seen. Most people are very underwhelmed by the magic capabilities of the Woodies, but if you like them go for it. As for how good the list is, I really have no idea. As I said, it's a very unique list. However, if I had to bet on what armies would give you the most trouble I'd say Chaos, Vampire Counts, and Tomb Kings.

RavenBloodwind
24-01-2008, 00:54
Not to contradict northwoodDreamer, but the list is actually commonplace and called the "treemonic legion".

The difference between yours and a regular treemonic legion list is your characters.

The problem you have is that your characters cannot join any of your units. Read over the forest spirit rules, only forest spirit characters may join forest spirit units. You could theoretically make all your mages Glamourweave kindred but this isn't really worth the points.

As to your troops you'll find that 45 dryads work much better as 5 units of 9 than 3 units of 15. More mobility means more combined (flank) charges. You're never going to outnumber an opponent for fear to matter anyway.

Treekin are tough as nails but most find the extra points for the elder aren't worth it.

Treemen are fine. Most treemonic legions contain a treeman ancient as the general and another treeman.

So, overall not the best treemonic legion I ever saw but not horrid. Just make sure your characters aren't all out on their own or they'll die VERY quickly.

Edit: so common this one is posted on the same page http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124000

northwoodDreamer
24-01-2008, 01:41
Not to contradict northwoodDreamer, but the list is actually commonplace and called the "treemonic legion".

The difference between yours and a regular treemonic legion list is your characters.

I was more or less talking about the character selection in conjuncture with the treemonic legion list. I have never seen 3 spellsingers and a spellweaver with an entire army of trees.

Highborn
24-01-2008, 02:17
There's a reason for that. Minimum 128 points to convert all his mages to Glamourweave mages, and the only units they can join are the Treekin, who don't have the numbers to offer them protection from shooting or Look Out Sir.

Necrotyr18
03-02-2008, 03:28
Well the spells in Athel Loren don't need LOS so I just stick them behind Dryads and let them cast. The Spellweaver using the Lore of Life I squeeze between two units but back far enough to not get charged as most of their spells that require LOS don't need a range. Just distance to a piece of terrain so I dont really worry about the Glamourweave upgrades as I don't need to join them to units.

BTW, just played a game against a 2k Tzeentch army and won, many thanks to the treeman for holding two chosen knight units and them wiping them out with the help of dryads and tree kin. Funny tid bit I miscasted 5!! times that game and rolled a 7 for all and ended up taking no wounds, he mis-casted no times.

I'll be playing a 2k game against Beasts of Chaos, Khorne Minotaur list and a game against a Vampire Count army. I'll tell you how it goes tomorrow.

Necrotyr18
05-02-2008, 20:12
Well the game against the Beast of Chaos Khorne player was pretty bad. I only killed about half his points and he killed around all of my models except for a few wizards that he couldn't catch. I inflicted some major hurt on the Shaggoth and a couple of minotaur units and some best heards but other than that I got ran through.

Though on the other hand when I faced the Tzeentch player I massacred him. I lost one tree kin unit and a few select dryads. He had everything dead except for a knight unit at half left.

So that day I either massacred or got massacred.

ZeroTwentythree
05-02-2008, 20:24
Well the spells in Athel Loren don't need LOS so I just stick them behind Dryads and let them cast. The Spellweaver using the Lore of Life I squeeze between two units but back far enough to not get charged as most of their spells that require LOS don't need a range. Just distance to a piece of terrain so I dont really worry about the Glamourweave upgrades as I don't need to join them to units.

Jezzails on a hill. (Well, anything long-ranged on a hill, really.) Spellcasters with lore o' heavens. Flyers. Tunnel teams, tomb scorpions, gorgers... Really, I'd be a bit nervous about leaving 700 points of unarmoured T3 spell casters running around on their own.

Little Aaad
05-02-2008, 20:34
2 chosen units = illegal

Necrotyr18
05-02-2008, 22:19
2 chosen units = illegal

What did that habe to do with anything?

Any way I'm not really nervous about spells hitting my casters. More than likely I will dispel it unless they irrestible forced it. Though tomb spiders and tunneling units do scare me they have to pre marked so I'll make a note to myself to not head over in that direction with my casters.