PDA

View Full Version : Moonstone of the Hidden Ways

northwoodDreamer
24-01-2008, 00:34
I think that Moonstone of the Hidden Ways is a very fun and cool magic item. Unfortunately, I have yet to figure out of a good way of using besides giving it to a Wardancer noble/highborn - which is a character I don't particularly care to field in my force. So I was wondering if anyone else had figured out any good ways of using the MotHW.

RavenBloodwind
24-01-2008, 00:39
I haven't found much enjoyment in using it myself.

A build similar to the wardancer character is putting it on a WildRider kindred with a unit of wild riders. Having such a high-speed unit pop up in the opponents deployment zone with an 18" charge range seems to be highly successful.

Another use it just plain annoyance. Put it on a juicy character in a juicy unit. Tempt your opponent to come after you and get completely out of place. Then blink across the table leaving him with his super killy unit stuck in a corner of the board with nothing to do.

InquisitorFenix
24-01-2008, 05:22
i think u 2 have pretty much hit the nail on the head. one way i have considered using it, if there were ample forests on the board, would be to use a wild rider noble and wild riders with moonstone in concert with drycha and a unit of dryads, ambush from the trees!!!

SilentTempest
24-01-2008, 10:20
Just trying to think of something different, but maybe you could give it to an Alter Lord (maybe even a Noble, depending on cost) and use it to get him in the opponent's backlines causing havoc with their warmachines...

Your Mum Rang
24-01-2008, 10:37
How about a Wild Rider Noble on a stag in a unit of Treekin? No-one wants those on their flanks!

Ikhoornix
24-01-2008, 10:47
you can also use the Moonstone to re-deploy your scouts/Waywatchers if you have the character with them.

enyoss
24-01-2008, 12:06
I used to use the Moonstone a lot when I first started with the Wood Elves, mainly with a unit of Wardancers. However, after a while I realized that it really comes into its own when used with a unit which can negate ranks. In my case I used it on a Mage in a unit of Eternal Guard, which would pop up behind my opponent's units and then charge in the rear. Admittedly, this would be better with a unit of Wild Riders (I didn't have any at the time) as it's more likely they'll be able to charge the turn after they teleport.

As an added bonus, even when I didn't take the Moonstone, my regular opponents were always really paranoid about leaving any woods unguarded, which often disrupted their play to my advantage.

In short I think the main strength of the Moonstone is in its potential to be very good rather than the fact that it's a surefire success.

Cheers,

enyoss

Krootman
25-01-2008, 13:16
I think im going to try it in a unit of wild riders or with some treekin. Using it vs wm's is very risky because unless you kill the crew their response will really hurt.

Chris_Tzeentch
27-01-2008, 19:18
How about a Wild Rider Noble on a stag in a unit of Treekin? No-one wants those on their flanks!

I have used this in the past with 4 Treekin and a mage with Glamorweave Kindred - works well.

Your Mum Rang
28-01-2008, 10:56
Wild Riders are probably better due to thier speed.

Lyonator
28-01-2008, 17:14
YMR: I dunno about that... I would tend to (never having actually used the stone) shoot to teleport slower units... purely because their movement isn't needed, especially if you're shooting for the other guy's DZ...
at a minimum of M5, that should be fast enough, I would say something like treekin would be ideal, able to kill CR, tough, and fast enough... the awesome M9 that our cav gets should be used to maneuver around the field...

just my two cents... treekin + spellslinger with stone on a unicorn would make for a hard hitting, tough unit.

EvC
28-01-2008, 18:16
As an added bonus, even when I didn't take the Moonstone, my regular opponents were always really paranoid about leaving any woods unguarded, which often disrupted their play to my advantage.

In short I think the main strength of the Moonstone is in its potential to be very good rather than the fact that it's a surefire success.

I have to say this is dead on the mark, as I was thinking of some kind of anti Wood Elf battleplan and thought I should cover any woods placed in my deployment zone like that, just in case a unit popped out the woods. Thankfully I'd forgotten my plan by the time the game had started, but maybe it'll catch me out in the future :D

Chaos Mortal
28-01-2008, 18:24
Lol i though i was the only person who fielded it with a unit of treekin lol. If you have not done son before try it out even in a friendly battle it will be great to see the look on your friends face whenever he sees a unit of 4 treekin and a great stag appewar ready for a flank charge =) even if you dont get the charge in it will make your opponant do stupid things and he will probably panic into a rash or stupid mave leaving his whole army in disarray leaving you to pick out the rest of his army one by one =)

Good Luck, Thanks, Chaos Mortal

Neknoh
28-01-2008, 18:30
Just remember to keep a unit of Wild riders ready to flank any unit that turns to soak the moonstoned charge with their front, that way, you have the choice:

Treekinn in flank or Wildriders in flank... not much else really

Krootman
29-01-2008, 15:34
Just remember to keep a unit of Wild riders ready to flank any unit that turns to soak the moonstoned charge with their front, that way, you have the choice:

Treekinn in flank or Wildriders in flank... not much else really

I like this, just put a glamorwave level 2 mage in a wood with some treekin, is the best way to go and heres why.

Imo I think a noble mounted on a stag costs way to much and with the moon stone you can not give him any other good gear. As for the highborn on a stag that costs well over 300 points and once you put a unit of treekin there it comes out to a quarter of your army in 2k

A glamorwave lvl 2 mage only costs about 40 more points then normal but gains a 5+ wardsave and the ability to hide in forest sprit units. Since its level 2 and treeisnging is not really reliant on los so the loss of 360 los is not to bad.

Dairym
29-01-2008, 21:11
Since most Athel Loren Magic doesn't need LOS, the moonstone and any 2 woods are one of the best sureties against your expensive level 4 mage getting ambushed.

If you really want stuff thrown at you add in the deepwood sphere.

Chaos Mortal
30-01-2008, 16:44
deepwood sphere and moontone really makes for an almost impossible to kill mage if you have a wood lol especially if your opponant is slowed down by forests =)