PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts - Nothing to Fear - 2000 points

Deadseed
27-09-2005, 03:51
Necrach Vampire Lord
-Nehekhara's Noble Blood, Spell Familiar, Forbidden Lore, Gem of Blood; Death Magic

Necromancer
-level 2, Book of Arkhan, Black Pariapt; Necromancy Magic

Necromancer
-level 2, Power Familiar; Necromancy Magic

20 Skeletons
-light armour, standard bearer

20 Skeletons
-light armour, standard bearer

5 Dire Wolves

5 Dire Wolves

2 Spirit Hosts

24 Grave Guard
-halberds, shields, standard bearer, musician, Crypt Keeper, Banner of the Barrows

3 Fell Bats

Banshee

Banshee

Total: 2000 points

Ok, this is just something I wanted to try, so please don't tell me not to take a Vampire Lord, cause it's the only way to ensure I get all 6 spells of the Death Magic line. Why is this important? Because I'm basing my army around the Doom and Darkness! spell. I know this may be very stupid, as many armies now have fear causing units, and immunity to psychology, but it's just an idea I had long ago and I'm stubborn enough to see it through.

Basically bulk up at least one of the skeleton squads with Necromancy, then cast Doom and Darkness! on an enemy unit, charge them with the (hopefully) larger skeleton unit and watch them run away, then run them down with the Dire Wolves.

The skeletons have light armour for staying power in the case that I'm against an all immune army like Nurgle or something that this won't work against. And the largely kitted Grave Guard is for that purpose too. The Lord resides in the GG unit for protection.

g0ddy
27-09-2005, 17:15
Im not familiar with doom and darkness myself :( does it upgrade them to cause terror for a turn? increase their unit size in order to outnumber temporarily?

Could you elaborate.

- g0ddy

Deadseed
27-09-2005, 17:47
It causes an enemy unit to have -3 leadership for any leadership tests for one turn.

I also asked a manager of a local Games Workshop and he said this would also work for the Banshee wail attack thing, even though it doesn't say it's a leadership test. Anyone agree to or despute this?

Tormentor of Slaanesh
27-09-2005, 20:09
i would agree as it imposes a blanket leadership penalty while it is in effect.

chbster
27-09-2005, 20:40
And who are you playing against another VC? ;)

Deadseed
27-09-2005, 21:01
I actually haven't played yet. I worked at GW as Christmas help, I have had this army (the models) for like 3 years now, but I can never force myself to get into painting, and I refuse to play with it until it's painted.

So it's just a general army idea I had that I'm making, not really for playing against anyone in particular.

Scythe
28-09-2005, 10:17
There's quite a hole in this list; you want to use doom and darkness mainly to have units fleeing from your charges. However, magic phase is after the movement phase, which gives the opponent a whole turn to change his plans with that one unit fleeing. He has a movement phase to react, so to say. The doom and darkness spell would be nastier if you have some terror causers around. Since a terror test is taken at the start of the opponents turn, he can't move away from the terror causer to avoid the spells effect.

Tobias
28-09-2005, 15:23
And they won´t run away if you charge them, they'll hit youon 6'es ;)(then they run)

Problem with the list is, you have no sort of scrolls, 7dd is good, but what if a necromancer dies?

Versus shooting your dire wolves will be killed with ease, and the fell bats will be a target too for that ...

I don't think this will be so good :O

but you could give it a try :) since you have the models

Deadseed
28-09-2005, 20:42
I don't know, I think that in any VC army against a shooty army your Direwolves and Fell Bats might be shot up quickly, does that mean no VC army should have these units? Or are you just saying I should have 3 ranks of Dire Wolves in case they meet some shooting? I also don't see how a scroll will help that much. If the necromancer dies and he's the one with the scroll I still lose the scroll and I'm in the same position.

I see what you're saying, Scythe, about movement being before magic, but I was hoping that I might get Doom and Darkness off, then use the movement spell (can't remember what its called, Danse Macabre or something) to charge. Is this highly unrealistic?
Something that causes Terror would be great, but I was afraid of taking out a Necro for a Wraith in that I would lose magic. Maybe I should take out the banshees and add the Coach?

Tobias
28-09-2005, 21:32
you already have most of the time 14 PD why care for 2 pd less? And get terror in return cause when the enemy fails a terror test they flee auto, so much better ...

A scroll would help vs a spell that cpould kill your mage or such, cause there´s always one spell you don't want through and one time you'll fial to dispell

I mean versus lots of shooting those units won't be any help, and when your fast unit dies he simpele shoots the slower units, you need something like BK to get some attraction

Deadseed
28-09-2005, 21:35
I have BK models too (actually Brettonian knights that I put skulls on, but that's neither here nor there). Would you suggest replacing the Grave Guard with them? Is a unit of 8 enough?

And for causing terror would you suggest a Wraith or Black Coach? The Coach is much more expensive, but once everyone has taken their terror test at least the Coach can deal some damage, while the Wraith I think is pretty weak.

Scythe
29-09-2005, 09:08
I see what you're saying, Scythe, about movement being before magic, but I was hoping that I might get Doom and Darkness off, then use the movement spell (can't remember what its called, Danse Macabre or something) to charge. Is this highly unrealistic?
Something that causes Terror would be great, but I was afraid of taking out a Necro for a Wraith in that I would lose magic. Maybe I should take out the banshees and add the Coach?

I wouldn't count on it. First, you have to rely on 1 of your 2 necromancers getting vanhells in the first place, which isn't always the case with 4 spells. Second, you have to get the spell of. 9+ casting on 3 dice is usually managable, but you can count on the opponent saving a bunch of dispel die or a scroll for such a moment when a unit is about to charge.

I'm not a great fan of both the wraith or the coach. The coach is horribly vulnerable against any opponent with acces to S7 or higher (especially in ranged weapons), and the wraith is just quite expensive for what it acctually does. Still, I'd go for the wraith. You could support your infantry units a bit and cary an item like the cursed book around. An alternative option would be to get a banner bearer with hell banner, or take a wight lord with the terror causing helm.

Tormentor of Slaanesh
02-10-2005, 19:11
wraiths are a bit too flucky. sometimes they'll thrash, the rest they just die.
the coach is great as long as it reaches combat.

Scythe
03-10-2005, 08:21
Meh, the coach needs to deal a lot of damage to earn it's 200 pts back. It is at it's best against elves, I've found. They have very limited acces to S7 attacks, and each elf is quite expensive pts wise, which means that even a limited amount of kills earns you some pts. Furthermore, fully ranked units within elf armies are rarer, so you have more chance of lasting in combat or acctually winning when charging. Of course, elves are quite fast, so getting the charge might be difficult at times.

In the end, due it's US5, the coach is best for flank charges. However, it can never march so is limited to movement 8, which is usually not enough to move up the flanks reliably fast to get those charges of, which makes the coach rather hard to use.