PDA

View Full Version : Hard Time Winning With Orcs & Goblins

stashman
24-01-2008, 22:37
I don't win much with my orcs and goblins. I use diffrent lists all the time, and thats not good according to my gamemates. I usualy don't have much magic but I will try diffrent next time. It will be vs. Empire and I think he will have a Steamtank, but not an Arch Lector. So the question is - Can this list do good? Can I get some ideas on how to use the army. All help is welcome, I need a win!!! :)

I have much magic and some shooting.

Black Orc Warboss @ 258 Pts
Heavy Armour, Shield, Boar, Porko's Pigstikka, Horn of Urgok

Orc Shaman @ 125 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade, Choppa, Power Stone

Goblin Shaman @ 135 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade, Hand Weapon, Power Stone, Nibbla's 'Itty Ring

Night Goblin Shaman @ 120 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; The Pipes of Doom

Boyz Mob (23#, 191 Pts)
Full Command, Choppa, Extra Choppa, Light Armour

Boyz Mob (24#, 198 Pts)
Full Command, Choppa, Spear, Light Armour, Shield

Goblin Mob (29#, 165 Pts)
Full Command, Hand Weapon, Spear, Light Armour, Shield

Night Goblin Mob (29#, 171 Pts)
Full Command, Nets, Hand Weapon, Spear, Shield

Goblin Spear Chukka @ 35 Pts

Goblin Spear Chukka @ 35 Pts

Goblin Wolf Chariot @ 63 Pts
Extra Crew

Goblin Wolf Chariot @ 63 Pts
Extra Crew

Squig Hoppers (8#, 120 Pts)

Giant @ 205 Pts

Giant @ 205 Pts

Wolf Rider Mob (6#, 108 Pts)
Boss, Musician, Hand Weapon, Short Bow, Spear, Light Armour, Shield

Wolf Rider Mob (5#, 76 Pts)
Musician, Hand Weapon, Short Bow, Spear, Light Armour

Wolf Rider Mob (5#, 71 Pts)
Musician, Hand Weapon, Spear, Light Armour

Snotlings (3#, 60 Pts)

Arrer Boyz Mob (16#, 96 Pts)
Bow, Choppa, Light Armour

Arnizipal
24-01-2008, 23:08
Maybe I'm a bit lazy for asking (as I can just add up the points values) but how many points are you aiming at?

You have a wide variety of trooptypes in your list. Do you have a plan for everything?
For example, I see you have 30 Common Goblins with spears and shields. Common Goblins are far more useful with a handweapon and shield so they have a decent 4+ save in close combat. If your going for spears you might as well take Night Goblins (who can have netters and fanatics to make them better fighters).

Snotling bases are a waste of point IMHO. Being Stubborn on Ld4 isn't going to do them much good. For 60 points you could get another wolf chariot, a pump wagon, a spear chukka or two fanatics.

What do you intend to use the Arrer Boyz for? They're not exactly great shots and for the rest they're just underequipped Orc Boyz. Perhaps you could drop them and upgrade one of your Boyz mobs to Big'Unz for some extra punch.

Your character equipment seems ok, though I'd drop the Power Stones and stick with Dispell Scrolls. You never know when you absolutely, positively have to stop a spell (or two ;) ).

And finally, purely from a background point of view... Since you have a Black Orc Warboss I'd try to include some Black Orcs somewhere who represent his tribe.

stashman
24-01-2008, 23:50
Maybe I'm a bit lazy for asking (as I can just add up the points values) but how many points are you aiming at?

You have a wide variety of trooptypes in your list. Do you have a plan for everything?
For example, I see you have 30 Common Goblins with spears and shields. Common Goblins are far more useful with a handweapon and shield so they have a decent 4+ save in close combat. If your going for spears you might as well take Night Goblins (who can have netters and fanatics to make them better fighters).

Snotling bases are a waste of point IMHO. Being Stubborn on Ld4 isn't going to do them much good. For 60 points you could get another wolf chariot, a pump wagon, a spear chukka or two fanatics.

What do you intend to use the Arrer Boyz for? They're not exactly great shots and for the rest they're just underequipped Orc Boyz. Perhaps you could drop them and upgrade one of your Boyz mobs to Big'Unz for some extra punch.

Your character equipment seems ok, though I'd drop the Power Stones and stick with Dispell Scrolls. You never know when you absolutely, positively have to stop a spell (or two ;) ).

And finally, purely from a background point of view... Since you have a Black Orc Warboss I'd try to include some Black Orcs somewhere who represent his tribe.

Sorry! 2500 pts

30 Common Goblins with spears shall protect the shaman and the shall stay in the back.

Night Goblins will stay with other shaman.

Okey, maybe I trade snotlings for fanatics, but I think my opponent have a Steam tank and I can try to stop the tanks movement.

Arrer Boyz are not bad, but an Empire army have a lot of shooting and I don't want to get the Big Uns blasted before they can charge!

16 arrows can kill some light cav (pistoliers) and give the odd shot onto greatswords.

With 3 shamans I don't know if I need scrolls.

I have 50 Black Orcs but they haven't done anything super good so I will try a fight without them.

Thanks for your advices and help.

Arnizipal
25-01-2008, 00:15
A 30 man unit is awfully big for a bodyguard role. Also, there's no point in buying them extra equipment or full command as they're not supposed to fight anyway. Alternatively you can give them short bow to take potshots at whatever comes within 16".

About the Big'Unz getting blasted: your opponent is always going to shoot at something. Right now he'll probably focus on your giants. Doesn't mean you have to drop the giants does it? ;)
You have plenty of fast cav and magic to deal with his shooting so I don't think you need to worry too much about that.

You can pretty much disable a steamtank by damaging it early in the game. The spear chukkaz could do this and if you can spare the points/free slots a rock lobba or a doom diver will also help a great deal in killing the thing.

EDIT: Forgot to ask: Where do you plan on putting your general?

kroq'gar
25-01-2008, 00:52
I dont play with orcs... but i've faced them often with empire and know what i hate to face.

worth upgrading the common goblins to orcs i'd think, and as above, arrow boyz struggle to hit the broad side of a barn at 10 paces, so i'd drop them.

if your facing empire you may want to consider some savage orcs - frenzy makes them immune to panic and the 6+ ward save isnt effected by handguns, not to mention they can tear regiments apart if you protect their flanks from detachments (your goblin chariots would be perfect for this roll, as they can easily punch through the weaker detah and threaten the enemys rear).

Take as many bolt throwers as you can squeeze in- they are all purpose against empire, take out knights, tanks (remember its a larg target, so +1 to hit and it cant be screened), and fast cav- even fire a few bolts at their warmachines if your feeling lucky.

for the tank itself, cause 4-5 wounds and it becomes effectively usless for the battle (a 300 point repeater pistol). If you can get a giant in there it'll tear the steam tank to shreds.

You also have alot of magic for a not to magical army. I'd think seriously about dropping a wizard and taking a black orc BSB armed for combat (add some killing, leadership, makes a unit not suffer animosity, and allows the rerolls with +1 static combat res)

Finally, take all regiments to at least 25 models.