PDA

View Full Version : First ever NEW VAMPIRE COUNTS battle rep. vs dark elves.

NecroNurgle
25-01-2008, 06:50
Rex, if you read this feel free to correct me. I'll post the turns as individual posts.

So my army list was (with point values removed, sorry):
Vampire Counts 2250

skeleton warriors w/spears x10
standard
musician
champion
banner of the double unit str.
Vampire lvl 2 summon skeletons power stone

skeleton warriors w/spears x10
standard
musician
champion
war banner

Ghouls x10
Ghast
Vampire lvl 2 summon ghouls power stone

Dire Wolves x5

Dire Wolves x5

Corpse Cart 75

Corpse Cart 75

Grave Guard x 20
seneschal
musician
standard
Banner of barrows (+1 to hit)
Count Mannfred
Skull staff power stone

Grave Guard w/great weapons x 20
seneschal
musician
standard
Banner of Strigos (gain hate)
Vampire lvl 2 book of arkan

Total

Here's his list.

Highborn on Dragon with Sea dragon cloak, heavy armor, Draich of Dark Power (+2s killing blow), shield, Heart Stone of Darkness (4+ ward)

Sorceress on foot, lvl 1 with 2 Dispel Scrolls

Noble on Pegasus with Sea dragon cloak, Enchanted shield, Heavy Armor, Seal of Ghrond and a lance

Core:
5 Dark riders, RXB, musician
5 Dark Riders, RXB, musician
12 corsairs, musician
12 corsairs musician
10 Dark Elf warriors with Shields and RxB

Special:
12 Witch Elves, Hag with manbane
2 Cold One chariots, spears
shades i think... I dont think i filled special (happens once in a blue moon)

Rare:
Testing out 4 RBT and they didnt impress me

NecroNurgle
25-01-2008, 07:17
Deployment. This would be a lot easier with the pictures Rex...
There's a hill in his deployment of to my right and one in mine in the middle. The main terrain features were two forests in middle of the table dividing the board into thirds. This proves to be problematic for my deployment because I had the idea to keep the blocks nice and tight but I have to split the army to avoid getting out flanked. But the new rules support this kind of deployment.

He puts two of his bolt throwers on a hill with the crossbow warriors off to my right. The Lord is also deployed on my left as well as the first chariot and the witch elves.
The other two bolt throwers are in the middle of the board so they can shoot down the alley created by the forests. I think the dark riders and both units of corsairs were in the middle accompanied by another chariot. And the pegasus.

I've got the graveguard with mannfred, ghouls and one unit of skeletons, and one unit of wolves in the middle. Off to my right, I've got the graveguard with greatweapons the other skeletons and direwolves. The corpse carts are placed behind each of the blocks of grave guard.

AzureDruchii
25-01-2008, 07:37
Ya sorry, just been swamped with midterms coming up... ill try and load em up right now...

So just spent 5 mins fiddling and of course I brought the wrong adapter to my dorm. I'll go home to paint on saturday and Definitely put them up as well as with my side of the story! Really sorry Rob, this weeks been crazy!

As for the Battle Rep, bad luck was on both sides but I'm sure everyone will get a good laugh out of a certain situation... Dragon with Lord > 10 skeletons

-REx

Oh, btw

Highborn on Dragon with Sea dragon cloak, heavy armor, Draich of Dark Power (+2s killing blow), shield, Heart Stone of Darkness (4+ ward)

Sorceress on foot, lvl 1 with 2 Dispel Scrolls

Noble on Pegasus with Sea dragon cloak, Enchanted shield, Heavy Armor, Seal of Ghrond and a lance

Core:
5 Dark riders, RXB, musician
5 Dark Riders, RXB, musician
12 corsairs, musician
12 corsairs musician
10 Dark Elf warriors with Shields and RxB

Special:
12 Witch Elves, Hag with manbane
2 Cold One chariots, spears
shades i think... I dont think i filled special (happens once in a blue moon)

Rare:
Testing out 4 RBT and they didnt impress me

So theres my list!

-Rex
p.s. Rob, we missed ya yesterday!

NecroNurgle
25-01-2008, 08:03
Take these with a grain of salt, this was a week ago.
He gets to go first. Which is pretty bad for me.

No charges, the chariot on my right blows his stupidity roll (Rex manages to blow a couple of easy leadership checks during this battle) , most things that can move up do so. He keeps the alignment pretty straight the only thing that breaks ranks is the lord on a dragon seeking to crush my right flank and get behind me. In the magic phase he attempts a chill wind which I dispell.
The shooting phase goes baaaaad for me. First bolt thrower on the hill takes a shot at the corpse cart on my right flank. Does 3 wounds and the regen takes care of two. The other bolt thrower on the hill does enough to kill it and I don't make the saves. This begins a long night of me not making my saves. The two bolt throwers in the middle go to work on my dire wolf unit and manage to scrub it entirely.

My turn one
I move most of my stuff up.
My magic phase. Here's where my army is designed to shine...
I bulk up my ghoul unit with single die castings of Invocation from my vampire in said unit. Mostly this is to get him to use up his dispel dice, but he understands that and lets them go. My ghoul unit gets another rank.
I try to add a rank or two to my skeletons on the right, but I roll a one and then a two, so nothing. I then try to raise a zombie unit with my other vampire. Two dice, roll a four. So, I haven't worked my way through his dispel dice like i'd hoped...but mannfred is up next. I need to bulk up my army. So I try summon undead horde :D. But nope. Four dice. *********** 11. Even with the skull staff. So, I think I tried a magic missle at his bolt throwers, but he dispels it. Such crap.
Stay tuned for turn two.

Nedar
25-01-2008, 08:28
Heh, sounds like the reason i HATE magic thus for in WFB (funny, since Necrarch VC army was my first choice). Never get anything off, miscasts...get raped by it with 5 or 6 DD, etc.

I had a game tonight against a friend using the current book and at least my magic went well, eventhough my general had Lore of Death, and got his drain life stolen on turn two (casket of magic stealyness is LAME). I got a handfull of great summons though that won me the game (and a double cheesburger).

I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of this battle plays out. I just wrote up a "rumor" list to try and test tomorrow vs this annoying HE clown at the shop...not sure how much i'm off on my Vampire's points though, prob a lot since I gave them similar pointage to fully kitted thralls and my standard count. (I can figure out the item's costs well enough, it's the actual base cost of the vampires that i'm unsure of).

Let's rock!

sainthale1988
25-01-2008, 16:32
Grave Guard w/great weapons x 20

grave guard with great weapons!!!! :eek:. i'm so happy at this revolation that i'm lost for words..... the only thing i can think of is :evilgrin:

avihai
26-01-2008, 00:18
grave guard with great weapons!!!! :eek:. i'm so happy at this revolation that i'm lost for words..... the only thing i can think of is :evilgrin:

really?....?

@necronurgle

Keep it up. I can't wait to see more and I can't wait for the pics.

etancross
28-01-2008, 14:32
I give up on this.... the book should be "around" this week and i think I can talk someone into letting me use it so I can post a battlerep with pictures this week.... we've been wanting to get info on this game for what? 2 weeks now?

I hate to sound hateful, but come on man?

EvC
28-01-2008, 15:12
Encourage, don't criticise, etancross. We wanna see what you have to say NecroNurgle (It also might be helpful if you told us what Mannfred's powers are so we understand? ;) ) :)

etancross
28-01-2008, 15:26
Encourage, don't criticise, etancross. We wanna see what you have to say NecroNurgle (It also might be helpful if you told us what Mannfred's powers are so we understand? ;) ) :)

you're right EvC... I apologize NecroNurgle, but i hope my frustration is understood because I just want to see how the new/updated units preformed and keep waiting and waiting and waiting.

NecroNurgle thank you for ALL the information, and updates you have given us over the last few weeks, you have helped tie things together, and given us a better understanding of things to come and we all thank you. It is much appreciated and once again I apologize.

AzureDruchii
28-01-2008, 18:18
Etancross: Please dont get pissy at Necro Nurgle as I took the pictures and am currently having issues loading them to my computer. I can add some more stuff I suppose though

Turn 2: My dragon charges his unit of skeletons with a vampire in it. I move around to setup charges for my next turn. I shoot his Corpse Cart a bit lower, magic does nothing. In combat my Highborn Killing Blows his vampire. Then my dragon attacks the skeletons and kill NONE WHIFFED TO THE EXTREME. My dragon HB loses combat by 1 and FLEES... YA NO JOKE... sooo lame

His Turn 2: Moves all units up to get ready to take a charge. Magic fails as I remember with him casting very very little but there wasnt much to cast. I think he raised the skeleton unit that just saw off my Dragon a bit higher..

Heres the part you want to hear:

My Turn 3: Mass charges: The front of the GG with shields gets charged by a unit of corsairs and a chariot and the flank gets hit by my Noble and a unit of corsairs... 4 units VS one... My dragon rallies and gets ready to get charged... My Dark riders in his ass charge his final Corpse Cart and kill it. In combat I kill like 8 or so and he holds on with 3 models left... ouch that isnt good at all.. very very very bad... I killed the corpse Cart at least...

His turn 3: His Graveguard with shields on my left flank charges a bolt thrower and goes NUMNUMNUM... My dragon gets charged and spends next 2 turns eating skeletons. In his magic phase the entire unit of Grave Guard stand back up due to judicious use of IoN (This is where it got ugly)... My units hold on... barely

My turn 4: Dark Riders charge the rear of some skeletons behind the main combat hoping to god I get lucky. Thats the only charge and the game starts turning very very ugly. Rest of movement is negilible. Magic fails and so I shoot at the GG that are eating my bolt throwers in an attempt to stop them and get a few VP. Nope, cant kill em all so its on to combat. In the big combat I kill a few but it doesnt matter as Mannfred is still alive. Well I'm fuc$ed.. Oh ya and my Dark Riders couldnt finish the skeletons

His Turn 4: GG charge my crossbowmen and will pursue into my other Bolt Thrower. In Magic all the units get nice and healed up... ugh magic... oh and he dances a unit of ghouls into the big combat in the center not that it matters now. My dragon finally eats through the skeletons netting under 400 points. He was a great investment:wtf:... My units bail from the combat in the center and its pretty much GG

I think thats where we called it... Am I right Rob? Honestly I think thats how the battle went... LAME

-Rex

theunwantedbeing
28-01-2008, 18:25
Well that army is a tad small....
If the DE list loses I would be fairly surprised as on paper it seems the dakr elf player has a really rather large advantage.

The dragon fled huh?
Sounds like thats just pure bad luck....reason enough to void the outcome if you ask me.

etancross
28-01-2008, 18:43
Etancross: Please dont get pissy at Necro Nurgle as I took the pictures and am currently having issues loading them to my computer. I can add some more stuff I suppose though
-Rex

as im sure you saw I apologized 2x's.

thanks

EC

Lord of Nonsensical Crap
28-01-2008, 21:46
Wait, so you can resurrect Grave Guard with the new VCs?:eek:

Wow, scary stuff.

AzureDruchii
29-01-2008, 02:23
Well that army is a tad small....
If the DE list loses I would be fairly surprised as on paper it seems the dakr elf player has a really rather large advantage.

Are you kidding? Dark Elves are considered one of the weakest armies in 6th ed... and we are in 7th where we got quite a bit worse compared to the new armies... warseer amazes me everytime i read it

And yes, IoN can heal GG

-Rex

Nedar
29-01-2008, 04:05
I played a 2250 game at the shop today with a friend of mine. It was VERY interesting, and I gota say that I LOVE the VC so far. I ran with a Vampire Lord, 2 Vampires and a Barrow King as my heroes...this is the one area i'm not too sure on, as I have no idea what GW did with the base point costs (i'm assuming they went down some since we gota pay for powers we once had).

My list looked something like this:

Vampire Lord - MotDA, DA, Lord of the Dead with Skullstaff and Helm of Command

Vampire - Infinite Hatred, Dread Knight with Book of Arkhan and BP (He went with a unit of BKs, this is a phenominal combo since he can make them march and dance them another 8"s or more if you roll a 2...which I did)

Vampire - Infinite Hatred, Walking Death with Flayed Hauberk and Tomb Blade (a fun little combo that netted me a grand total of like 4 or 5 skelys...won't be doing that again)

Barrow (Wight) King - Accursed Armor, GoB, GW, HA

15 Skeletons - Spears, FC - Banner of the Dead Legion (******* Rocks...counts as 30 off the bat and I raised like 6 or 8 more on turn one)
15 Skeletons - Spears, FC
10 Ghouls (MVPs took a 10 strong inner circle knight charge and had only 1 die, and 8 attacks wound and ended up with 2 left to hold the knights another whole turn)
5 Wolves (Got smoked by a conflag to 1 and only slowed a few units for a turn or two by himself, not bad really)
2 Corpse Carts - 1 with each power up (didn't do much, a few ASF procs that helped)

24 GG with GWs and BotB (Healable unit that can use Helm of Command to hit on 2+s most of the time, and wound on 2+s most of the time as well....Phenominal)
10 BKs - FC, War Banner (Prob the best unit of the game, helped me break over half of my opponents army)

That's about my entire list that I used. I fiddled around here and there so I wasn't taking way too much in the way of points since I don't know exact point values as of it, only going off what I've gotten in the rumor threads.

Aside from 2 ******* miscasts that really screwed me up (however, they both went well enough that my general lived and didn't hurt himself) The game went fairly well. I lost my Wind of Death the first time i tried to cast it, along with a wizard level and my magic phase...so i didn't get to try making up some spirits to block my opponents steam tank the proceeded to grind my general and his unit of skelys (Best part, I actually beat him in the end here).

The game ended up as a massacre for me, I took everything preaty much but 2 wounds on his steam tank and like 2 knights that ran off that couldn't rally anyway. I think I got the points fairly well in the 2250 range, but I'm not sure at all. I played all the rules I know almost flawlessly form memory (forgot to print out my rumor file I got) aside from spell 5 and 6 being 12 when i thought they were 11+ (didn't matter anyway for any rolls).

Funny thing, I never raised a single unit of zombies...I tried once but it was dispelled with gusto (It woulda blocked a charge he really wanted). But casting 6+ invocations at turn on a 3+ was awsome. Beefing my wimpy 15 skelyton units to 20-25+ in turn 1 was great, especialy since you can buy spears and keep the unit small and then raise them to more acceptable levels. Buying of zombie units really doesn't make sense to me. You can raise so many that you really should spend your points on GG and BKs, and get a couple good skeleton units since you can heal and beef these guys up at will (barring antimagic)...helps usher in the age of the GG which is by far my favorite unit in Warhammer Fantasy.

We got a ton of banners, but a lot of them aren't that great really. BotB is ace combined with Helm of Command, and getting a BSB with the regen banner would be great for BKs or GG for sure. The Screaming banner would be great too, you need to use it on a GG or BK unit though, but would probably help get those fear tests to fail more reliably. Mabie a cool combo would be 10ish BKs with a Dead Legion banner and a Screaming banner (BSB of course) to scare the crap out of people on the flanks. An upgrade to terror banner would have been sweet too.

avihai
29-01-2008, 12:29
MORE! I want MORE! lol pure awesome.

Lord of Nonsensical Crap
29-01-2008, 15:20
Great stuff Nedar, although....

Vampire Lord - MotDA, DA, Lord of the Dead with Skullstaff and Helm of Command

Vampire - Infinite Hatred, Dread Knight with Book of Arkhan and BP (He went with a unit of BKs, this is a phenominal combo since he can make them march and dance them another 8"s or more if you roll a 2...which I did)

...some explanations on what those abbreviations stand for would be nice.

Jack of Blades
29-01-2008, 15:45
Master of the Dark Arts, Dark Acolyte

Black Periapt

You're welcome :)

Nedar
01-02-2008, 07:04
Master of the Dark Arts = +2 Power Dice (I believe to his personal pool)

Dark Acolyte = +1 Magic Level (Only way to get a lord to 4 and a hero to 2)
*I will probably drop this for Forbidden Lore, 1 less PD for all the spells is a good trade IMO

Black Periapt = Store dice of course (good so you can addapt to magic-heavy or magic-light opponents)

grishnakh99
04-02-2008, 01:58
Isn't combining the BoA and the Black Periapt illegal?

Nedar
04-02-2008, 06:09
Lol...you are right :eek:. I never even thought about that. They are both arcane items. Guess I'll have to fix that next time I make a vampire like that heh.

:cheese::cheese::cheese:

Zoolander
13-02-2008, 19:50
There's a lesson there for us. Don't try to type up a battle report in pieces. Type it up separately in Word or something, and when it's done, then post it.