PDA

View Full Version : Legions and the other books

Lardidar
25-01-2008, 13:55
Hello,

About 6-7 of us at the local GW are about to start playing LOTR. So I thought I'd buy all the books so I ould have a good read but before I do I have a question.

If I buy all the source books (Gondor in flames, Harad etc..) do I still need legions?

The reason I ask is there are a fer differnces in points and units from one to the other ... for example, in the legions the corsairs can have a bolt thrower but this is missing from the harad book list.

I think I am being a tad confused by all the books!

The_Warsmith
25-01-2008, 15:31
use the latest released books, this is GW advice, the rules in the newer books take presedance over the older ones so if you wanted a corsair army you wouldn't be able to have bolt throwers as the harad book says you can't

Rodman49
25-01-2008, 15:36
Hello,

About 6-7 of us at the local GW are about to start playing LOTR. So I thought I'd buy all the books so I ould have a good read but before I do I have a question.

If I buy all the source books (Gondor in flames, Harad etc..) do I still need legions?

The reason I ask is there are a fer differnces in points and units from one to the other ... for example, in the legions the corsairs can have a bolt thrower but this is missing from the harad book list.

Yeah I had the same problem, there are too many books and too many inconsistencies between them. In most cases the Journey and Source books override the stuff in the Legions. So like Half-Trolls being 22 points now instead of 15 is an override you would use.

In general though you can use Legions along with the online posted stats if you are mainly going to be using the Legions scenarios. I would only bother getting the Sourcebooks of the actual stuff you collect. The Journeybooks are also great because of the quality of scenarios and awesome terrain guides. The painting guides are only so-so in the though.

Rodman49
25-01-2008, 15:38
use the latest released books, this is GW advice, the rules in the newer books take presedance over the older ones so if you wanted a corsair army you wouldn't be able to have bolt throwers as the harad book says you can't

The book doesn't explicitly say you can't though right? It is just not included, I am under the impression that he can still include one.

lorelorn
26-01-2008, 04:39

If it were me, I would buy Legions before buying anything else. True, the lists will vary from books printed after Legions, if only slightly, but you basically have everything there in one book.

This page: http://us.games-workshop.com/games/lotr/legions/gaming/profiles/default.htm gives you the profiles and rules to go with the points values found in Legions.

You and your friends can use Legions to design and construct army lists, and buy specific books as (and if) needed for your chosen armies.

That's how I've approached it, as I would rather spend my money on figures than a dozen books where I just want one page.

brettz123
26-01-2008, 17:29
Honestly I would decide what army you want to play first and then get that specific book. Legions was good several years ago but isn't up to date and I don't really see the point in getting it if you don't have too.

I believe the current books are:
Harad
Gondor in Flames
The Ruin of Arnor
Khazad-Dum

Anything else will probably be replaced relatively soon so you may want to hold off on buying anything else. So if you aren't going to play any list that is only in LoME then I would skip on it.

brettz123
26-01-2008, 17:30
Ohh and one last thing a lot of the rules for specific models are available as PDFs from Games Workshop so you can download those and have the rules for the models even if you don't have the book.

Lardidar
26-01-2008, 17:46
Hmm, I think i will buy the source books to all the armies.

Legions can wait for now, I am planning a dwarf and harad army so I may aswell get the books set out just for them.

Thanks alot guys looking forward to getting to play, I love the LOTR rules (although I have only so far played them in the old west setting)

EDIT - Heh 1,000 posts :p

Pitalla Crimson
27-01-2008, 17:53
they should just burn legions and make an army book for each army, for example:
Gondor in flames= gondor
Harad=harad(obviously)
Mordor=(mordor,Angmar)
Eastern Invaders=Rhun,Khand
Kaza-dum=dwarves and goblins

with all this point changes ppl its just getting confused, so they are doing wath they say they didnt liked to do:wtf:

Rodman49
27-01-2008, 18:17
they should just burn legions and make an army book for each army, for example:
Gondor in flames= gondor
Harad=harad(obviously)
Mordor=(mordor,Angmar)
Eastern Invaders=Rhun,Khand
Kaza-dum=dwarves and goblins

with all this point changes ppl its just getting confused, so they are doing wath they say they didnt liked to do:wtf:

I think it would be better to have just two books - one for the good armies and one for the evil armies.

brettz123
27-01-2008, 19:32
I think it would be better to have just two books - one for the good armies and one for the evil armies.

I guess that depends on how much you are willing to pay for one book and how many armies you want to be able to play. Personally I think it would be nice if all the rules where just in the rulebook.

Pitalla Crimson
27-01-2008, 23:36
I agree there with rodman, one for evil and one for good would be great and simplier, however they have to stop changig rules and point costs with every rulebook that comes out.

Rodman49
28-01-2008, 13:04
I agree there with rodman, one for evil and one for good would be great and simplier, however they have to stop changig rules and point costs with every rulebook that comes out.

Yeah, I liked the first three rulebooks/editions of the game for the format of books. However the quality of the scenarios and the new books in general are much improved.