PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Wood Elf Army

ultimus666
25-01-2008, 14:35
So I've recently decided to start playing WHFB due to the fact that a few friends of mine play. The Wood Elf army has captured my interest and so I'd like to start purchasing some units. However, I'm not really sure where to start. I have a vague idea of how the rules work, having watched my friends play before. Not enough to help me build an army though. I'd like to start small, say 500 points, and then work my way up to 1000. I'm supposed to head to my local Games Workshop later with a friend (who's also going to start playing, as either Skaven or Ogre) and I'd like to pick up some units. Any recommendations where to start? I'll probably only get one unit set today, just to get a feel for gluing and painting them. Also, could anyone suggest a good army list for 500 points? Something that will help me get a feel for Wood Elf strategy. Anyways, thanks a lot for any and all help.

Jack of Blades
25-01-2008, 14:39
NO! don't buy any units! buy the book, buy the rulebook or loan your friend's rulebook. This is a grave mistake, I promise you, get the book first and understand the rules. Don't make my mistake.

Chiungalla
25-01-2008, 15:47
Buy or lend the army book and the rule book first.
Then play your wood elves with friends and use paper or something to proxy your army.

So you can see if you like warhammer and if wood elves are good for you.

Don't make the mistake and buy half an army, till you realise, you don't like warhammer or that army.

Edit:
And if you don't want to listen to this kind of advices, go save your money, till you can buy yourself the battalion box. That is the perfect start for a wood elf army.

ultimus666
25-01-2008, 15:56
Well I actually have my friend's Rulebook here, just haven't had a chance to start reading it. I've played a couple matches of Warhammer with my friend's armies and I do enjoy it. Also, I didn't really want to spend a fortune today, just wanted to spend like...$20-30 just to have some units to paint. Is that such a bad idea?

Jack of Blades
25-01-2008, 15:58
Yes. Book or die (and get resurrected by me into a zombie).

One-S
25-01-2008, 16:02
I'd advise you to buy some dryads then.
They fit in any army build.
You cannot go wrong with buying them.
If you've got the money for it, the battalion box is a good start too.
cheers

Chaos Mortal
25-01-2008, 16:13
Dryads or glade guard! youll use them in practicly every points level and are great, the mainstay of any woodelf army =) (well mine anyway lol)

Semi_Bunny
25-01-2008, 22:05
Well if you really only want to spend 20-30$ then the armybook is right in your price range. Just read it up for about a week or and draft up your list first then buy models. Patience is key in warhammer, you cant rush starting up.