PDA

View Full Version : That's not 3D. THIS is 3D.

Bubble Ghost
25-01-2008, 15:45
I saw this linked off Penny Arcade the other day, which means most people will already have seen it I guess. But I thought I'd post it here anyway, because it's that damn interesting. Will it ever be used for a game? I don't know. Normally I'd assume not, because involves more faffing around than the plug-in-and-go gaming that consoles, and especially the Wii, are intended for. But it would be such a huge step forward - almost a true extra dimension - achieved with such astonishing simplicity that I just don't know.

But anyway, it's interesting regardless of its eventual implications, if any. Have a look for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw&eurl=http://www.penny-arcade.com/

Neknoh
25-01-2008, 16:18
Think thisone was linked a few days ago, not sure though. ... anyhow, I have but two words to say.

Tutorial! Now!

dr.oetk3r
25-01-2008, 16:40
That's....AWESOME.

kortholaxthedamned
25-01-2008, 16:52
How cool is that!

Soulless Enigma
25-01-2008, 16:57
Wow...

I want it (sans 'sporty' glasses).

Here's hoping Ninetendo see this (unlikely as that is :().

ghost hunter
25-01-2008, 17:26
if wii developers made games like this i would go and get a wii tommorow!!!

Neknoh
25-01-2008, 17:27
I've got an idea

what if everyone that sees this does their absolute best to try and get this link to nintendo? Someone is bound to find something, be it only a mail-adress. And if that someone then would post the adress here, we can all try and make Nintendo aware of this. Do speak of your efforts.

I am going to hunt on the Wiibsite

theunwantedbeing
25-01-2008, 17:30
I doubt nintendo would make use of it.
The 360 and ps3 would be better able to make use of this idea though, what with their greater emphasis on singular play and first person shooters and such.

Even if the led's were simply on the controller and not some sort of headset you'de get you rmotion sensetivity and how most people hold a controller then playing racing games and such you'de get the same effect without needing to wear glasses or anything strapped to your head.

Neknoh
25-01-2008, 17:34
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform.jsp that's what I've found :p

Snoozer
25-01-2008, 18:34
Yeah I saw this a couple of weeks ago, but don't know why I didn't think of linking it here. I almost fell of my chair when I watched it.

You should also check his project web site for other cool stuff as well

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/

Especially the rest of his wiimote projects and the projector calibration stuff

:D

de Selby
25-01-2008, 18:42
It looks great, although 'in person' you'd still have the problem of the lack of stereoscopic depth, which would be really noticeable for the 'closest' objects. We don't notice this effect from the POV youtube film because everything in a film on a flat monitor/display lacks stereoscopic depth.

That could be fixed with funky 3d glasses, however! And overall, it is just a brilliant thing.

Arcane_Blade
25-01-2008, 18:48
Wow, now that is awesome.

Here's hoping developers of all consoles start taking note of these sorts of projects, nowadays the public are surpassing the companies in certain aspects, and no-one takes notice.

But this has to be too cool to ignore. :D

The Orange
26-01-2008, 00:17
Pretty neat, I wonder how long it's gonna take before one of those game developer companies actually picks him up. Besides the one down side of only working for one person, that's pretty damn innovative. Here's hoping something like that comes out in the future.

LeggoMeEggo
26-01-2008, 04:41
not gonna lie that is pretty 3D the guy who thought of it is a genius

floyd pinkerton
26-01-2008, 11:05
:eek:

wow, i may have to download that software (if you click 'more' in the description to the video, it's there)

Neknoh
26-01-2008, 17:40
"Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo, We appreciate hearing about the types of products that you would like to see from us in the future. While there hasn't been an announcement concerning a new Wii Remote that includes the features found on the video link you included in your e-mail, you never know what the future holds! As the worldwide leader and innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, and because of our history of pushing the limits of gameplay and design, you can always count on Nintendo offering the most imaginative products. In the meantime, keep checking our website's "What's New" section (http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew) for the latest information and announcements.
Sincerely, Nintendo of America Inc.David Glover "

Ok, that's the answer I got from Nintendo. Now get posting people! If enough people mail them the link, they HAVE to look at it sooner or later!

Bubble Ghost
26-01-2008, 17:47
That could be fixed with funky 3d glasses, however! And overall, it is just a brilliant thing.

Indeed. Imagine the effect of combining this system with traditional red/green eyeglasses type 3D. Futuristic HUD displays could hover in the air in front of you. You could duck as a sword swung past your head. Your TV could become the windscreen of your mech cockpit, allowing you to lean forward to see closer to your feet, and sending chunks of your TV screen/cockpit flying towards you if it got shattered.

But the really insane part is not the concept, which isn't anything new - it's the accessibility and inventiveness. It's the fact that all this could be achieved with just the usual Wii hardware and a pair of 99p goggles. Mindblowing. I really hope some game developer runs with this idea.

de Selby
28-01-2008, 16:01
Bubble Ghost: Wasn't there a stereoscopic system developed using glasses that alternated left/right opaque/transparent, so that the screen could alternately present the left hand and right hand view to the appropriate eye? Would allow full colour stereoscopic 3d (plus this system's brilliant 3d POV) with a bit more hardware and a high enough refresh rate...

And yes, what you describe is exactly what I was imagining :D

ozzfan
28-01-2008, 17:56
Now that is very clever.

I want one. Now!

theunwantedbeing
26-02-2008, 23:10
Hmmm, not sure if it's okay to bump this thread but it's relevant to the discussion at least. At some latest games convention thingy(not sure what it's called...) they had EXACTLY THIS running on a ps3 using the controller to direct where the view was angled at.

I only partly saw it, and it was only partly referenced but they panned the camera around somebody using it.
Looks like sony might be getting hold of this nifty little trick :)

Nazguire
27-02-2008, 03:18
"Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo, We appreciate hearing about the types of products that you would like to see from us in the future. While there hasn't been an announcement concerning a new Wii Remote that includes the features found on the video link you included in your e-mail, you never know what the future holds! As the worldwide leader and innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, and because of our history of pushing the limits of gameplay and design, you can always count on Nintendo offering the most imaginative products. In the meantime, keep checking our website's "What's New" section (Nintendo :: What's New (http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew)) for the latest information and announcements.
Sincerely, Nintendo of America Inc.David Glover "

Ok, that's the answer I got from Nintendo. Now get posting people! If enough people mail them the link, they HAVE to look at it sooner or later!

No there won't. Standard compute response with a custom sentence on top. Spoilsport I know :D