PDA

View Full Version : Boarboyz count as ...what?

sigur
25-01-2008, 20:25
Hey there, I happen to own quite a lot of them nice old Boar Boys and I'd like to somehow implement them into a new-style Ork army list but what should I use them for?

The candidates I worked out so far would be Warbikes and Stormboys. Here's the list of pros and cons:

Warbikes:
+ suitable base size
+ the "dust cloud" special rule fits pretty well
+ fast, yet believable movement for boar-mounted Orks
- Big guns. I really don't want to strap big shootas (or Dakkaguns or what the special bike guns are called in english) to the boars
(- not sure if the bikes aren't a little too tough to represent Boarboyz)

Stormboys:
+ fast movement
- weird mode of movement (like jumping over enemy troops/buildings/...)
- Deepstrike-ability is a bit far-fetched to represent but it could be something like the Boarboys storming onto the battlefield and then slowing down a bit. This representation of the rules could also include a boss on Cyboar with Zagstruk's rules (the Boarboys storming onto the battlefield, recklessly charging something)

So in total, the facts would inply using the Warbikes rules (apart from the guns problem) but I'm open to your suggestions. For example, I could just leave the guns away, maybe reducing the points costs a bit for friendly games or just paying the whole amount of points in more competetive areas but giving up on ranged killiness. I know that there are quite some people in my situation, sitting on some Boarboys and not knowing how to put them into the list.

Brother Siccarius
25-01-2008, 20:27
Probably go with bikes, as they seem to be the most accepted for boars and cyboars.

lord_blackfang
25-01-2008, 20:33
Bikes. In fact, how about Nob bikes as the 2 wounds could account for the boar and rider?

Da Reddaneks
25-01-2008, 20:37
Bikes as Cyboars. And the dakkaguns are just too good not to use.

logosloki
25-01-2008, 21:01
I vote bikes but I'll give you a reason to have them as stormboyz.

that whole on the roll of a one thing? it would represent thr boar eating its rider then tailing it:p

sigur
25-01-2008, 21:07
Bikes. In fact, how about Nob bikes as the 2 wounds could account for the boar and rider?

omg, mounts don't count as additional wounds, n00f!:p Just kidding. Nice idea about that, I'll consider it.

@Da Reddaneks:

Bikes as Cyboars. And the dakkaguns are just too good not to use.

Are they really that good? I mean, one shot/turn hits on average as I read that they don't count as twin-linked any more.

cuda1179
25-01-2008, 22:59
They are still twin linked. If you read carefully, the rider had a non-twin linked gun, and the bike itself has a twin linked gun. As silly as it seems the rider's personal weapon is completley useless.

VetSgtNamaan
25-01-2008, 23:29
Well I intend to use mine as counts as bikers. But then again I do have alot of boar boyz lying around.

carlisimo
26-01-2008, 00:58
Is the dust cloud still dust, or really nasty flatulence?

vipernyc
26-01-2008, 01:25
i'd use bikers... if your concerned about modelling the dakkaguns on the boars you can just give the riders huge, t/l big shootas.

if you wanted to use stormboyz, though, you could rationalize them ignoring terrain by saying the boars are so powerful they barrel through everything.

ImpTyranid
26-01-2008, 03:09
Definitely bikers. Cyboars would be for the guns and what not, but they don't look as cool as a regular boar boy.

As for using the Stormboyz and their deepstrike ability? Just assume it's calvary flanking the enemy ala Jeb Stuart.

Clang
26-01-2008, 05:05
or strap wings/rokkits/anti-grav engines/helicopter blades to them and they count as dethkoptas?

or leave them as is, and count as 'Ard Boyz, the boar justifying the higher save? (only one unit per army allowed in the new codex, though...)

Sir_Turalyon
26-01-2008, 19:15
Nob warbikes. Powerful unit to suit original and venerable models. Perhaps strap some big custom-combi weapons to represnet dakkaguns?

Thanks for that idea, lord_blackfang; now I know what I'll do with my boar boyz.

Archangel_Ruined
26-01-2008, 19:42
Bikes, certainly. Also, when it comes to orks the size of the guns isn't all that important, just how shooty the ork in question thinks the gun is... You could probably manage some nifty conversions along the same lines as the lootas.

kikkoman
26-01-2008, 19:48
- Deepstrike-ability is a bit far-fetched to represent but it could be something like the Boarboys storming onto the battlefield and then slowing down a bit. This representation of the rules could also include a boss on Cyboar with Zagstruk's rules (the Boarboys storming onto the battlefield, recklessly charging something)

"...When pigs fly! har har har..."

"sarge, lookit up thar sumthin's fallin otta th' sky!"

"what the f-'
"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH"

sephiroth87
26-01-2008, 19:51
I would run them as stormboyz and just never deep strike them.

jp22102000
26-01-2008, 19:56
I guess you can't take bikes without the guns anymore? Because that would be an option.

Triggerdog
26-01-2008, 19:59
go with bikes. The guns dont matter much because you're orks and its not like your going to hit alot anyway:D