PDA

View Full Version : Heres a tricky Question for ya

Thomas Mackabee
28-01-2008, 06:26
I dont know much about dark eldar, but from what i know unlike there less chaotic brothers they dont use webways(correct me if they do) but i reckon if they did it would help them with there raids

So my question is:Why dont dark eldar use webways like normal eldar.:confused:

Kandarin
28-01-2008, 06:29
Dark Eldar constantly use the Webway as their primary means of transportation. Their entire civilization is based in cities located within the webway itself, for they suffer a far greater drain on their soul outside the webway than within, although the reasons for this are unclear. Indeed, a better question might be: "Why don't the other Eldar use the webway as much as the Dark Eldar do?"

Xgladar
28-01-2008, 06:38
What? soul drain outside the webway? ive never heard that one before...

Thomas Mackabee
28-01-2008, 06:46
thank you i was just never sure i thought they took raiders everywhere

I guess it makes sense that they use both the webway and raiders

azimaith
28-01-2008, 06:57
If I had to guess i'd say its probaly because the Webway is still the warp which is kind of a giant stew pot of souls (and flesh eating frenzied beetles)

The_Outsider
28-01-2008, 07:11
What? soul drain outside the webway? ive never heard that one before...

Tis true in the codex (or tortuer's tale - I forget) it mentions about the Thirst and says (words to the effect of) "To their horror they found that they had not broken She Who Thrist's grip, in this realm they found it weakened - they had bought themselves time".

So the reason DE hide in the webway is the soul drain is less severe than it is in normal space.

Taipan
28-01-2008, 07:15
Because the webway is a seperate, uncorrupted network that the Old Ones built. Its still connected to the warp (Psychenuin infestations, occassional daemonic infiltration), but its a 'bomb shelter' of sorts. In normal space, the warp has a more direct connection to their souls, hence Slannesh's drain on their souls forces them to capture slaves to stave her off.

Kandarin
28-01-2008, 07:22
thank you i was just never sure i thought they took raiders everywhere

I guess it makes sense that they use both the webway and raiders

Typically, the Raiders get to their targets by means of the webway, or are dispatched from Dark Eldar Fleets, which in turn got to their targets by means of the Webway.

Imperialis_Dominatus
28-01-2008, 07:32
unlike there less chaotic

I dearly hope you are not implying that Dark Eldar are Chaos Eldar there. ;)

The Guy
28-01-2008, 20:26
I dearly hope you are not implying that Dark Eldar are Chaos Eldar there. ;)

Well in a way they are.
Right? :confused:

He who is doom
28-01-2008, 20:36
no no no no no

they are not chaos eldar

they are the betters of the eldar they are great and thou shalt not spew such lies

BrainFireBob
28-01-2008, 20:40
The Dark Eldar are Eldar as they were before the Fall- without the psychics and with the need to come up with "proxy souls" to stave off Slaanesh.

Jakman
29-01-2008, 08:35
Ahhhh. Dark Eldar are not chaos eldar, that is Crone World Eldar. Dark Eldar = Real Eldar

CELS
29-01-2008, 10:53
Ahhhh. Dark Eldar are not chaos eldar, that is Crone World Eldar. Dark Eldar = Real Eldar
And Craftworld Eldar = Amish Eldar :D

Feor
29-01-2008, 11:13
I don't think any of you can argue that Dark Eldar are less chaos than Craftworld or Exodite eldar, which is what the OP said.

The_Outsider
29-01-2008, 11:54
And Craftworld Eldar = Amish Eldar :D

"As I walk through the craftworld where I harvest my grain,
I take a look at my wife and realise she's rather plain,
But thats just perfect for an amish eldar like me,
We shun fancy things like anti gravity.....

I'm up at 4:30 milking cows, jebidiah feeds the wraithguard and jacob plows,
I've been milking and plowing so long even Ynnead thinks my mind is gone.

I'm a man of the land I live in harmony,
Growing soul stone to infinity,
Got a ghosthelm in my hand and a rune on my chin
But if I finish all my chore and you finish thine
Tonight we'll party like its M.39!

We been spending most our lives
Living in an eldar paradise
I've built a falcon once or twice
Its hard work and sacrifice
Asurmen is rather nice

Marines kicked me in the butt last week
I just smiled at him and turned the otehr cheek
I don't really care infact I wish him well
'cause i'll be laughing my ghosthelm off when he's burning in hell
But I ain't ever punched a human even if he deserved it
An eldar with an attitude?
You know thats unheard of
I never wear runes of warding but I have a cool hat
And my craftworlders agree
I look really good in black..fool
If you come visit you'll be bored to tears
We haven't sent a psychic message for 3000 years!
But we ain't really quaint so pelase don't point and stare
We're just technologically impaired

There is no webway, no psychic messages, no scorpians
Not a single craftworld luxury
Like the exodites
Its as maiden world as it can be"

Commander Dante
29-01-2008, 15:57
lol nice, that is awsome

General_disarray
29-01-2008, 20:27
Weird Al ftw!

Norminator
29-01-2008, 20:46
That is great, but surely Amish Eldar would be Exodites?

CELS
29-01-2008, 22:08
Don't be pedantic, Norminator :D

StanMcKim
29-01-2008, 22:34
Sweet holy Hell thats funny! You sir The_Outsider, have too much time on your hands!
-Stan

Iuris
30-01-2008, 11:53
Chaos/Crone world Eldar: while most were devoured by/coalesced into Slaanesh, some may remain alive. Slaanesh cultist, with the eldar flavour added in. To the ancient Eldar, like satanists to us: "Why would you want to worship THAT, anyway?"

Dark Eldar: survived the fall without being consumed by Slaanesh, however, they have not changed their mental outlook. As a consequence, Slaanesh still drains at their souls, which they replenish with the souls of others. Also, Slaanesh's drain is weaker in the webway, so they moved there. Essentially, just like the Ancient Eldar - except that now they know, but are unrepentant.

Craftworld Eldar: escaped just before the fall, retained their arrogance, but abandoned their hedonism. To the Ancient Eldar, they would feel like a monastic order - completely disciplined lives, denial of impolse and focus into a specific area.

Exodites: left the eldar empire far before the fall, before the craftworld Eldar, and started a simpler life. To the Ancient Eldar, they are amazingly like the Amish are to us.

Jim
30-01-2008, 12:00
@ The_Outsider: Just spat crisps over my computer screen when reading your 'Elder's Paradise' rap - there should be a warning not to eat and read that stuff - way too funny!!!

malika
30-01-2008, 12:09
The Dark Eldar are Eldar as they were before the Fall- without the psychics and with the need to come up with "proxy souls" to stave off Slaanesh.
All Eldar are psychics, this means that the Dark Eldar are also psychic. GW just didnt include psychics in there for the sakes of gaming balance... :rolleyes: IIRC Kage2020 had some interesting ideas on Dark Eldar psychic powers and the "thirst" for souls. The Dark Eldar's souls slowly get eaten by Slaanesh, so they need to eat more souls to keep that energy to live present. I think the soul in this case is some sort of "energy source" that needs to be refilled if it constantly gets eaten, the souls of other races work as well apparently so they can simply eat those while Slaanesh keep on eating their energy. At a certain point the Dark Eldar would need more and more souls to keep this energy which means that at a certain point only those who are powerful enough can get enough souls to survive.

Lord Cook
30-01-2008, 12:11
Chaos/Crone world Eldar: while most were devoured by/coalesced into Slaanesh, some may remain alive. Slaanesh cultist, with the eldar flavour added in. To the ancient Eldar, like satanists to us: "Why would you want to worship THAT, anyway?"

Dark Eldar: survived the fall without being consumed by Slaanesh, however, they have not changed their mental outlook. As a consequence, Slaanesh still drains at their souls, which they replenish with the souls of others. Also, Slaanesh's drain is weaker in the webway, so they moved there. Essentially, just like the Ancient Eldar - except that now they know, but are unrepentant.

Craftworld Eldar: escaped just before the fall, retained their arrogance, but abandoned their hedonism. To the Ancient Eldar, they would feel like a monastic order - completely disciplined lives, denial of impolse and focus into a specific area.

Exodites: left the eldar empire far before the fall, before the craftworld Eldar, and started a simpler life. To the Ancient Eldar, they are amazingly like the Amish are to us.

Most useful summary. Many thanks.

malika
30-01-2008, 12:21
Too simple. Some Eldar were powerful/interesting enough for Slaanesh to keep alive, those have become some of the most powerful Chaos Champions out there if we are to believe the 2nd edition fluff on them. So Slaanesh might have their souls, but these Eldar are still alive. To the ancient Eldar these are the worst of the worst traitors. In a way similar to how the Loyalist viewed the Traitors during and after the Horus Heresy. The Eldar simply gave his or her soul to Slaanesh to stay alive and was probably powerful enough to be kept alive. It also wouldn't surprise me that there were already Chaos worshipping Eldar out there before the Fall who might have known about the coming birth of Slaanesh and set out to help out with that and might have been rewarded for it.

True! But I dont think that Slaanesh slowly draining their soul is a consequence of them not caring. Slaanesh also drains the souls of the Craftworlders, Exodites, Outcasts and so on, only difference is that they have other ways to protect themselves. Soul stones, World Spirits, etc.

I believe the Exodites might still be just as arrogant as all other Eldar, another thing is that the whole Amish thing is a bit in the extreme I think. I don't believe that the Exodites have fully thrown away their technology and decided to live like those following the ideology of primitivism. They would still have their technology and use it rather well, only difference is that they don't fall back to laziness and decadence because of it, yes they might be more in touch with the environment they live in, but I wouldn't go as far as to call them something along the lines of "Wood Elves in space".