PDA

View Full Version : Scariest games?

The Guy
28-01-2008, 22:04
What games make you crap your pants really badly? So bad you don't even want to turn the game on. I've got three.

Aliens versus predator. Dark corridors, confined space, vents everywhere and a motion tracker that does nothing better than to say "hehe you're gonna die boi"

Alien resurection. I can never take more than a few steps before switching it off because it's too dark. Yes I'm a wuss.

F.E.A.R. To be honest I LOVE this game. It's awesome. But really terryfying. And it combines action with horror. And not cheap jump out of the dark but stuff that really screws with your head. Also the fact that you can't fight "the scary stuff" makes it even worse IMO. You just gotta struggle with your eyes shut and hoping your torch don't run out.

Any one else got any terryfying games?

Also why are we scared of games in the first place? :wtf: Doesn't make sense until you are playing them.

der_lex
28-01-2008, 22:10
The first Resident Evil had a few oh, crap' moments, like when the dog suddenly jumped through the window in one of the hallways.

The king of creepy, for me, is Silent Hill. It doesn't go for the cheap shock value, but goes out of its way to create a genuinely creepy atmosphere through good creature and level design and a fantastic story. I know people always mention the Metal Gear series as an example of good storytelling in videogames (and it is), but Silent Hill is right up there with MGS, IMO. Especially Silent Hill 2, where just about everything in the game had some sort of deeper psychological connection to the protagonist, and which got more disturbing as you picked up more little details, is a masterpiece.

The pestilent 1
28-01-2008, 22:25
AVP and FEAR as you say, real OMG WTF I'M GONNA DIE! moments in both of them.
The entire marine Campaign, for AVP.

Eternal Darkness has a few moments that royally Mess with the mind, and not in the traditional sense.

Vodevil
28-01-2008, 22:35
The king of creepy, for me, is Silent Hill. It doesn't go for the cheap shock value, but goes out of its way to create a genuinely creepy atmosphere through good creature and level design and a fantastic story. I know people always mention the Metal Gear series as an example of good storytelling in videogames (and it is), but Silent Hill is right up there with MGS, IMO. Especially Silent Hill 2, where just about everything in the game had some sort of deeper psychological connection to the protagonist, and which got more disturbing as you picked up more little details, is a masterpiece.

Silent Hill 2 FTW. It's like David Lynch made a game... That was awesome.

Spangley Special
28-01-2008, 22:53
heard big things about how scary the project zero games are.

for me silent hill, resi 4 on harder diffeculties had a distinc OMFG! quality

avp 2 and alien reserection as have been stated

Freak Ona Leash
28-01-2008, 23:21
I vote Eternal Darkness. Going insane was never more fun.

swordwind
28-01-2008, 23:40
Call of Cthulhu was scary, especially when they come for you in the night. Until you found weapons that is. Afterthat it became just another survival shooter

The Haunted House in Bloodlines was downright terrifying though. I nearly fouled myself when I turned around and he was standing behind me.:eek:

BigWeirdCreature
29-01-2008, 00:34
For me it would be Silent Hill, and FEAR.

Tommygun
29-01-2008, 00:42
The original system shock creeped me out a lot. Now the graphics may seem dated, but the story line is still solid.

Lame Duck
29-01-2008, 00:50
Quake 4, there are moments when I nearly **** myself when the guys jump out at you.

New Cult King
29-01-2008, 01:52
FEAR gets my vote every damn time. I can't play it through a second time.

dr.oetk3r
29-01-2008, 02:26
The original system shock creeped me out a lot. Now the graphics may seem dated, but the story line is still solid.

Dead serious? I mean, no offense, but i mean C'mon! I mean COME ON!!! How is it scary. It's just a bunch of wrench wielding blobs.

You've probably never even played it. :/

thearchiver
29-01-2008, 03:14
Yeah Haunted House in Bloodlines that was the best bit in the game.

System shock 2 had its moments to.

strangeasangels
29-01-2008, 03:15
I vote Eternal Darkness. Going insane was never more fun.

I'd have to second this. Reconnect my controller indeed!

WLBjork
29-01-2008, 04:03
The first time playing through Half Life. (Sadly, it loses it's scariness in replays).

The Gongarch, the Gargs, heck even the point when you're walking down a corridor, hear a portal and spin round to be greated with a blast of green lightning to the face.

RapidKiller
29-01-2008, 06:12
i'm voting For Doom 3

New Cult King
29-01-2008, 07:00
Doom 3 was scary until you walked into your 157th dimly lit room with a weapon and ammo laying in the middle of the floor in a pool of light. So you reload, run back into a previous room to grab that bit of armour you skipped, and then venture into the new room. You get within 3 feet of the stash when...

GRAARGHNAAAARGLKILLMAIMBURNGRUFFAARRRWWW!!!!

The lights go out and the demons pop out of mysteriously closed wall cavities that are perfectly demon-sized, and have no other apparent use. That game became so repetitive I didn't even bother to finish it.

Thief 3, the Cradle level. That's some wrong ***** right there :cries:

Alathir
29-01-2008, 07:00
Resident Evil remake of gamecube... that game scared me ********, especially walking in the woods to Lisa's cabin... scary stuff.

Oh and regenerators from resident evil 4 were terrifying.

Sir_Turalyon
29-01-2008, 07:04
First Doom scared me very badly, back in 1993; after that, only Phantasmagoria came close. Fear and first hour of third Doom were pretty creepy, but came too late to scare me.

Jedi152
29-01-2008, 07:46
Silent Hill linked through the stereo at about midnight with all the lights off.

Dad had to yell upstairs because the sound of me crushing zombie nurses heads in with an iron bar was reverberating through the house.

Typheron
29-01-2008, 08:10
Clive Barkers Undying.

that game freaked me out, sure you were armed but somehow it did not feel like it.

The Laughing Man!
29-01-2008, 08:24
Forbidden siren would be terrifying if it wasnít for the god awful voice acting.

Other than that I canít really think of anything, apart from the first time I saw Resident Evil, I was eight-ish and my sister was looking after me for the night. She didnít do that good a job :p

styrbiorn
29-01-2008, 09:46
My scariest games would be doom 3, F.E.A.R. and Undying.

Venomizer
29-01-2008, 10:03
F.E.A.R. To be honest I LOVE this game. It's awesome. But really terryfying. And it combines action with horror. And not cheap jump out of the dark but stuff that really screws with your head. Also the fact that you can't fight "the scary stuff" makes it even worse IMO. You just gotta struggle with your eyes shut and hoping your torch don't run out.

Quoted for truth............I'm still trying to build my bravery levels up to play it again, I love it to bits but damn it didn't half give me a fright

Leviathan
29-01-2008, 11:26
Hello,

AvP Marine missions pretty much crippled my tolerance for these type of games as a youngster. I could never complete the damn thing and its had the result of turning me into a wuss when it comes to scary games ever since. :p

The best I've managed thus far is doing Ravenholme on HL2. May not seem too bad to some of you but that's about my tolerance level. Anything beyond that and we're into new underwear. :P

Bombot
29-01-2008, 11:47
F.E.A.R. and Eternal Darkness as already mentioned. Doom 3 too - you knew what was coming, but still the jumps worked.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, whilst not that scary on the whole, has an awesome haunted house segment that really gave me the creeps.

nigsylbd
29-01-2008, 15:12
For me a lot of AvP 2 was pretty scary in particular the tunnel level where you have to open the doors for the APC.

In Half life the head crab in the vent scenrios always made me jump. While in Half life 2 the poison head crabs creeped me right out the noise they made and the way they moved especially when wounded always made me shudder.

The original Thief where you look in the church at the orb and see all the undead and you just know you will have to go in there.

The bit in Bioshock where you head into (I think) a dentists surgery and you can see up ahead the shadow of a splicer on the wall and hear him talking you think aha Im getting the jump on this one then the lights go out plunging you into darkness and he shuts up.

Plus FEAR (all of it), Jericho, Barbie Horse Adventures and many more

I really am a whimp :D

Count Zero
29-01-2008, 15:41
Hello,

AvP Marine missions pretty much crippled my tolerance for these type of games as a youngster. I could never complete the damn thing and its had the result of turning me into a wuss when it comes to scary games ever since. :p

The best I've managed thus far is doing Ravenholme on HL2. May not seem too bad to some of you but that's about my tolerance level. Anything beyond that and we're into new underwear. :P

i know how u feel. i find i cant play scary games for a long periods now, my nerves just cant take it. so i need to take a break for a while befre diving back in.

For me the main games have been:

System Shock 2
FEAR
Bioshock in places
AvP

Burnthem
29-01-2008, 18:33
Another vote for Silent Hill from me, that game was genuinely scary, not just make-you-jump scary but actually psychologically unsettling.

Resi' 4 and Doom 3 are also good, but in the more 'make you jump' way than 'look over your shoulder at night way'

SV_Harlequin
29-01-2008, 18:52
VM: Bloodlines - the Asylum and the bits wither the fleshcrafted blobs with only 2 arms.
Cthulu: Dark Corners - the whole bloody game

xbevisx
30-01-2008, 11:45
yup FEAR is a no brainer. Crouching down to get on a ladder, and when you turn around that freaky girl is at the top of the ladder ZOMFG!

A couple of bits in Manhunt shook me up a bit. I can deal with the gore aspect but i think they did a really good job with atmosphere in that game. The bit that got me the best was near the end:
You are in some horrible, grim looking attic. Youve got no weapons. You head down the first corridor that branches to the left into another. Bingo! You see a weapon at the end of the second corridor. "I'll be safe when i get that" you think "i'll be able to take out all the guys after me with that 1 piece of broken glass"
So naturally you start sprinting down the corridor towards your only line of defence, when suddenly:
SQQQUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
the naked guy with the pigs head and chainsaw comes smashing through a wall to your left with grinding you to mince the only concern in his twisted mind.

Another bit is you are in a hospital, at this point in what you presume to be a morge. theres a bunch of bodies lying around in bodybags, in a very dark room. you have to walk past 1 of them for some reason ( cant remember why :S ). now this could show the game up for a bug here, but one that still made me jump. being the sensible conservative guy i am i thought "that body is definately gonna move" so i shot it just incase. happy in the knowledge that it should be "dead" i walked past. oh no, it still precedes to leap and scare the bejesus outta me.

Excellent

I seem to remember that THE SUFFERING had a few scary bits, but seeming as i cant remember them that well, they couldnt of been that good.

Tymell
30-01-2008, 11:57
I'll give more votes to a number already mentioned.

Vampire Masquerade had that awesome haunted house segment, that creeped me out a lot.

Doom 3 was okay to start with, but New Cult King's got it right, it got too repetitive and predictable. What makes a game scary is not knowing what's going to happen, being uncertain. Every time it was just new room, go in, enemy announces he's going to appear several seconds before and is then gracious enough to show you precisely where with that orange light. You aim, shoot when he appears, done.

It's a shame, because it had some nice moments elsewhere. That bit where the spider-daemon crawled out from behind the computer was great, precisely because unlike 99% of the game you didn't expect it. Should have been more like that, and more sections like the one part way through with lots of shadows but no actual attacks, to throw you off.

AvP, the first, was very good like that. AvP2 still had it, but not so much. It was still very fun, but with less emphasis on the scary side. By giving it more scripted things and more of a genuine storyline it actually detracted and immersed you less, because it felt more like a traditional game. Also because there were usually comrades talking to you or even there. In the first game you felt so alone.

Project Zero is pretty good for that creepy atmosphere. The only annoying thing about that was I can't advance beyond a certain point. I don't know if it's a glitch, but all of the guides I've found just tell me to do something I simply can't, so I'm stuck :/

Cirrus the Blue
30-01-2008, 12:30
Really wanted to play Clive Barker's Undieing (my PC wasn't fast enough when this was on the market still...) as he's a horror writing genius, and the CoC game, but also I need a 360 still for that one. :p

As for my personal scariest that I've actually played, I rate the Fatal Frame series as being my top scariest namely for the fact that I had horrible wake-up-shivering nightmares for 3 straight weeks after playing it practically every night for a week. Now that's darn good horror that can do that to someone like me, lemme tell ya! lol I mean, really. It was so cold and so dark and so lonely throughout the whole game and you had to look RIGHT FREAKING AT THEM!!! What's this? With only a CAMERA?! :p lol

As for the next horror game I'm desperately anticipating is 'Sadness' for the Wii. That game will be absolutely bonkers nuts in all aspects and I'm going to be picking it up on the first day, for sure. :D

As for games that freaked me out as a kid, the original Tomb Raider in one of the sequences close to the end of the game where a statue of a centaur busts open to reveal this muscley no-skinned monstrosity that starts chasing you around with a bolt thrower. lol And another scene when a friend was with me in the room at my computer and I'm walking down a long and claustrophobic corridoor when we hear a sort of 'thump.. thump.. THump.. THUMP.. THUMP!!! BYAAAAAA!!!!!!!!' and this mummified what-the-frick came lurching around the corner and we were both screaming pretty loudly. We couldn't stop laughing for like 10 minutes after that. :D

OH!! And one scene on Resident Evil 2. My friend and I were warned by his sister's friend to 'watch out for the Interrogation Room...' in a rather ominous tone. So we get to the interrogation room and walk all the way around and stop and we're like "Wonder what the heck he meant by this.." So we wait a second and then figure it's nothing, so I barely even touch the analogue stick a pecimeter when "SMASH!!!!" and I drop the controller. lol It was just perfect how I stopped EXACTLY at the trigger point of the room before the monster smashed out of the glass.

Funny moment while playing Onimusha 2 was with another friend and we were playing it pretty late at night and he's doing his thing collecting souls and such and gets enough to turn into Onimusha super powered mega dude, and no sooner does he activate it when a 10 block radius around my house has a power surge and goes completely pitch black for close to 45 minutes. hehe

- Cirrus

Bloodknight
30-01-2008, 12:45
My favourites: Vampire Bloodlines (the Malkavian asylum, the burnt hotel and the Giovanni hotel with the zombies freaked me out) and Undying.

Undying is a very good game with a creepy atmosphere and deadly opponents. The good thing is that the monsters are not many, but not easily beaten and cleverly placed in the game world. That game at night: A+

*ARSE*
30-01-2008, 13:39
Yeah, Silent Hill can be really disturbing.

Some clips;

James meets Pyramid Head (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC1juTOqDgg)

10 mins of SH3 gameplay from the indomitable cloud8745's walkthrough - The Borley Haunted Mansion and Alternate Theme Park (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b05oV5qOjTU&feature=related)

Forbidden Siren is not really on the same level - it's scariness comes from the creepy perspective of the shibito, the extreme difficulty and tension.

A clip;
Forbidden Siren - Kyoya Suda - Day 2 - 07:00 (Level 5) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WeDLYYxudo)

Which shows the Sightjack ability (capacity to see from your enemies' perspective) at around 3:40. As you can see, the atmosphere of the 2 series is highly different.

Ravenholm in HL2 is scary the first time through, not so much afterward.

Doom 3 is highly repetitive, but well-executed for all that.

Templar_Victorious
30-01-2008, 13:47
"The is nothing to fear but FEAR itself"

Let's roll out, smash those monstrosities.
I'd love a FPS as a Space Marine, (in both Power armour and Tactical dreadnought armour) fighting all things that opposes the Imperium. From the average unbeliever, to the Nightbringer, only to be revived as a Dreadnought. :evilgrin: And then fight another campaign, nigh indestructible.

Apart from the rant, I liked Doom3 in the beginning. though the trip to Hell was short. :cries:
Fear has nice moments too, and so does AVP, but being a marine is not that scary, just shoot it til it's dead. (In reference to that on top of my post, I'd always wondered why I can't have a chainsword and bolt-pistol or the equiv in FPS:ers. That would totally rock!)
Then I have to say that the dungeons in both Morrowind and Oblivion has it's surprises. Especially where the undead resides. They, in difference to the living, don''t yell at you when you get close.

Wolflord Havoc
30-01-2008, 14:05
The Haunted House in Bloodlines was downright terrifying though. I nearly fouled myself when I turned around and he was standing behind me.:eek:

Oh yes - the only time I ever felt scared playing a computer game was the Haunted Hotel level - bloody well gave me goose bumps :eek:

No other game has even come close...okay AvP when you see the first Alien i think I unloaded a Pulse Rifle...and the 'pigs' in Doom when you could here them just around the corner 'snorting' was pretty scary....but no not even close to the heart thumping 'I shouldn't be scared I am playing a vampire and am 30 something years old' moments that sum up that haunted hotel level in Vampire:Bloodlines.

A brilliant but sadly flawed game.

Incidentily is there any games that are simular to V:BLs?

Killmaimburn
30-01-2008, 16:40
Clive Barkers Undying.
Ok so I know about and have played the rest (res evil 1 on the ps1 when the frog thing jumps out the well:eek:), i got undying when it went onto the bargain wrung, I was buying a fair few games all at once.. didn't really inspire me (I kept getting lost in free roamingville and having to retrace my steps for ages, made it to the shifty plains with lots of floaty islands) so i just stuck it in a draw (along with anachronix and sacrifice) and started playing something else (I think it was dungeon siege legends of aranna)and then the next something and then the next something, so I never really went back to it, or maybe gave it a fair chance.
So will the folks bigging up undying, big it up some more, I might dig it out the cupboard once I finish going back over AVP 2 and Fear:D

Bombot
30-01-2008, 16:47
OH!! And one scene on Resident Evil 2. My friend and I were warned by his sister's friend to 'watch out for the Interrogation Room...' in a rather ominous tone.

I remember that scene well. It's quite cleverly set-up - you've already been in the room so you think it's empty.

DonKarst0n
30-01-2008, 17:01
The scariest game?

*lights flicker and you hear a little girl laughing*

Definately F.E.A.R.
All the moments when my heart stopped beating for a second.

But there are some undying games out there that scare the **** out of me.
Turn your lights off and enjoy Silent Hill 2... *whimper*

And yeah Undying. Scary ****.

Templar_Victorious
30-01-2008, 17:30
Yeah, how could I forget undying. The howlers, and the Scythe!!! Making me laugh maniacally everytime. But the empty area, not a sound... -Huh, nothing... turn around, a Big howlers roars at you, even though I checked the room before going in there. Turns out he hid beneath a set of stonestairs. (This was down the catacombs/sewage)

Hun
30-01-2008, 17:48
Of all games I have played AVP is the scariest by a long way. Probably followed by call of cthulhu and system shock 2.

I also thought this little arcade game could get quite tense. Elevators from Hell (http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=4841)

Killmaimburn
30-01-2008, 17:54
Ahh well if we're going old skool "monsters" on the BBC B ( I couldn't sleep for weeks) Linky (http://www.bbcmicrogames.com/acornsoft.html) 4th one down. You have to dig holes to trap monsters the monsters fall in, you have to rush up and bury them or they climb out and eat you. Some needed burying multiple times, if they climbed out (which was a really scary clawing sound for 1985) they got faster and better and you needed to bury them many more times (so you have to stand over a monster.. thats crawling out of a grave to eat you and time is highly pressured:eek:). monsters..well I reckon it scared me more than all the others listed put together (but age was probably a factor:angel:)
EDIT-Found a linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjRkFxPI3Qc) to video (skip to 4.40 or so because the bloke playing has no problems up till then:D)

scratchbuilt
30-01-2008, 18:03
Silent hill, all of them.

The Guy
30-01-2008, 20:55
yup FEAR is a no brainer. Crouching down to get on a ladder, and when you turn around that freaky girl is at the top of the ladder ZOMFG!

The bit in the elevator. Talk about spare underpants time! :eek:

King kong could be quite scary sometimes. V-rex?

Also in GTA San Andreas. Walking into one of my houses and I hear a ghost breathing! Anyone else found that? That really scared me.

Bombot
30-01-2008, 21:48
The bit in the elevator. Talk about spare underpants time! :eek:

And the bit where you find some splatted guys, look up at the balcony, and she's there watching you :eek:

The invisible ninja guys are pretty creepy too.

Let's face it, F.E.A.R. is awesome :)

Colonel Stagler
30-01-2008, 23:57
Yer Doom 3 until the demons leap from the wall alcloves that they have been waiting for you in for hours on end , until you move just close enough to that stash of goodies lol

Nazguire
31-01-2008, 02:14
It's probably not the scariest game but Eternal Darkness does what other survival horror games try and fail at. Unsuspected twists and character developments.
No matter how heroically you save the little girl/boy, stop the evil Roman or retrieve your lover's treasure, your character at the time is stuffed in some way or another that you least expect.
My favourite scene from memory was the part where you are controlling the lonely millionaire owner of the mansion that the main character lives in. You save the house, vanquish evil monsters, find out the purpose of the evil dudes and then are locked kicking, screaming and bloodily away in a nut house. Beautiful scene it is.
The insanity meter screws with ya too. Blood dripping down walls? Rooms upside down? Controller disconnected? Flies and beetles attacking you constantly? Just little things as you progressed into insanity made it great.
The environment was fun too. The sculpted head following your every movement and when you looked at it, it returned to normal. The flashbacks of your body in a bath drained of blood. Screams that always seem to be in the room next to you but when you open the door...no one is there... and the screaming starts again, in the room you just come from.

nigsylbd
31-01-2008, 17:40
I almost forgot Grannys Garden on the BBC when the witch caught up with you it scared the hell out of me.

Ronin_eX
31-01-2008, 18:08
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl

I still remember going into the second underground lab (scary in the atmosphere alone) and meeting my first snork (crawling fast zombies) and nearly crapping myself as I tried to draw a bead on the thing as it scurried through the hallways. On the next level down it all looked quiet until objects started lifting up and propelling themselves at me. When I found the source of the problems I felt a little better (had a good chase down the hall killing the last of the TK montsers). The worst was yet to come though. I was closing in on the end of the lab and something familiar started happening. In the previous lab there was a monster that got inside your brain and tried to rip your mind free of your body. I was preceded by this red haze on your vision.

Well I get into the last room and my vision starts going red so I leap back through the door and wait a second. I toss a grenade in the room and peak around the corner. Hmm, it's not there. I walk a little further in and the haze comes back. I wheel around looking for a source but can't see anything. I sprint to the other side of the room and duck behind some cover. I scan the area a bit more and there is an office up some stairs. I look at my ammo and decide I need to scrounge before entering into the room to face the thing up there. I find a treasure trove of grenades and rounds for my AK and decide to go for it. I get to the bottom of the stairs and toss up no less than three grenades. I then charge up the stairs, the red haze still getting worse (damn haven't killed it yet). I get into the room and empty a clip into the opposite wall. There is nothing in the room and my character promptly passes out and has a flash back.

What's more fun is I wasted all that ammo and I still had to make it back out of the base through a Spetznatz force sent into the lab. By the end I was using a sawed-off and a pistol and saving every scrap of ammo I got from them. I finally made it back to daylight and hoofed it as fast as I could from that accursed facility. It remains the scariest part of any game I ever played.

PrinnySquad
31-01-2008, 21:01
Vampire: Bloodlines - the Hotel level.
Mild Spoilers ahead.

Jesus Christ, that scared the pants off me- espicially with the "he's coming" whisper in the kitchen, then things getting chucked across the room, the ovens going, and after you think "phew thats over"- the bloody ghost tries to drop an elevator on your head(it got me the first time >_>)

Colonel Stagler
31-01-2008, 21:01
Yer i forgot about stalker, Yantar Lab, never again lol

floyd pinkerton
31-01-2008, 21:21
System shock 2 and bioshock both shook me up in places

Its not so much actual gore or the lights suddenly going off, but the background and the superb stories and atmospheres in both made me go "off" for a few days afterwards

Freak Ona Leash
31-01-2008, 22:21
It's probably not the scariest game but Eternal Darkness does what other survival horror games try and fail at. Unsuspected twists and character developments.
No matter how heroically you save the little girl/boy, stop the evil Roman or retrieve your lover's treasure, your character at the time is stuffed in some way or another that you least expect.
My favourite scene from memory was the part where you are controlling the lonely millionaire owner of the mansion that the main character lives in. You save the house, vanquish evil monsters, find out the purpose of the evil dudes and then are locked kicking, screaming and bloodily away in a nut house. Beautiful scene it is.
The insanity meter screws with ya too. Blood dripping down walls? Rooms upside down? Controller disconnected? Flies and beetles attacking you constantly? Just little things as you progressed into insanity made it great.
The environment was fun too. The sculpted head following your every movement and when you looked at it, it returned to normal. The flashbacks of your body in a bath drained of blood. Screams that always seem to be in the room next to you but when you open the door...no one is there... and the screaming starts again, in the room you just come from.

They need to make a sequel to this game.

jimbobodoll
31-01-2008, 22:27
Vampire: Bloodlines - the Hotel level.
Mild Spoilers ahead.

Jesus Christ, that scared the pants off me- espicially with the "he's coming" whisper in the kitchen, then things getting chucked across the room, the ovens going, and after you think "phew thats over"- the bloody ghost tries to drop an elevator on your head(it got me the first time >_>)

Ab-sol-bloody-looty! Totally scared the be-jesus out of me! Especially when the woman runs across a corridor right in front of you... Nothing to fight either but its amazingly scary... :eek: :cries:

Thief 3, the Cradle level. That's some wrong ***** right there :cries:

Also bloody scary, but that level, like the hotel level in the vampire the masquerade game TOTALLY KICKS BUTTOCK! In fact, I believe this particular level was so well loved by gamers that PC Gamer went and interviewed the designer of this level in particular. :)

The pestilent 1
31-01-2008, 22:51
They need to make a sequel to this game.

There supposedly was one in the works (Multi format) but this was a few years ago now...

Denis Dyack, designer of "Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem" and Too Human, said "absolutely yes" in July 2006 regarding the question of a possible sequel to Eternal Darkness in his Too Human IGN blog. He stated that Silicon Knights intended for Eternal Darkness to be a stand-alone game, but the company has always intended to make more games set in the Eternal Darkness universe involving the Ancients.[7][8] A sequel has been announced but not the platform it will be released on. Although all rights to Eternal Darkness and possible sequels were owned by Nintendo when the game was first produced, Denis Dyack ended that exclusivity with Nintendo in April 2004.[9] It is also worth noting that some mainstream stores such as Wal-Mart have been stocked with new copies of Eternal Darkness as of March 2007, albeit at the original 2002 release price.

Supremearchmarshal
01-02-2008, 12:49
CoC: Dark corners of the Earth - almost the entire game

Silent Hill - the same

Fiend - 2d top-down, but still scary as hell - like finding a trail of blood in the catacombs, where it's so dark you can see about 4 meters and you hear some really weird sounds

System Shock at some points. Music was suitably spooky.

Alone in the Dark the first time I played it - the graphics were awful, but the way things suddenly burst in through windows and such was scary. The Cthonian made scary sounds, too.

Space Hulk of course has its moments, but you get used to it rather quickly

Half-Life in some parts - the moaning of the giant tentacles for example.

Killmaimburn
01-02-2008, 13:28
Alone in the Dark the first time I played it - the graphics were awful, but the way things suddenly burst in through windows and such was scary. The Cthonian made scary sounds, too. I killed the evil tree in the basement and didn't look back:evilgrin:, but yeah it had a good atmosphere for its time.

Hun
02-02-2008, 15:06
Nobody has mentioned 'return to castle wolfenstein' for the part when you first come up against the undead in the tomb. I didn't play it for a week afterwards.

His Master's Voice
02-02-2008, 17:43
FEAR and System Shock 2 as mentioned

Penumbra:Overture

Some Far Cry moments when you're in the jungle, low on ammo, and those frikkin monkey mutes come out of nowhere.

Dirty Fingers
02-02-2008, 19:40
I've got to put a vote in for Condemned: Criminal Origins. Seriously, so many ppl have mentioned F.E.A.R., but if you've played Condemned, you can't even bother to list F.E.A.R. any longer. Condemned is basically a somehow even more psychologically twisted FEAR, and you also don't have guns most of the time, being forced to engage first person with makeshift clubs you've picked up. The sequel coming out soon looks to be even scarier.

Seriously, the department store in Condemned with the mannequins still horrifies me. People who've played will know exactly what i'm talking about. That ********** department store was probably one of the most sweat inducing, stressful sections i've ever played in any game.

matthewmw64
02-02-2008, 20:00
I realize its considered the worst of the Series, but Silent hill 4 has its moments. Like at teh start when the ghost comes out fo the wall and the giant head of that girl in the hospital.

darkstar
02-02-2008, 23:38
Well, considering that HL2's Ravenholme had my nerves shot to a wreck, I don't do well at scary games. AvP was terrifying for me, because everything moves so much faster than I did. It took months of training before I got good at it and took everything down with the flamethrower.

System Shock 2 was just creepy. I never finished it. Speaking of creepy games, Farenheit was just a bit weird. Not really scary, but bad enough that I had to be constantly supplied with soothing tea.

Gen.Steiner
03-02-2008, 11:43
In order, first scary game to latest scary game:

Half-Life. The first time a head-crab went for me, when all I had was a crowbar. Holy jesus!

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Ocean House Hotel, because the first time I played it I nearly crapped myself. Then the hideous house made of flesh with the horrific two-limbed ball-monsters, and the hotel o' zombies. I didn't realise they were infinite the first time so wasted all my ammo trying to kill them all. Fail! Die! Arrrgh!

F.E.A.R - the whole damn game.

Edzard
03-02-2008, 12:48
Seriously, the department store in Condemned with the mannequins still horrifies me. People who've played will know exactly what i'm talking about. That ********** department store was probably one of the most sweat inducing, stressful sections i've ever played in any game.

I haven't bought any new clothing since playing that lvl :cries:

It is the scariest game I ever played, dopefiends running after you with spiked wooden planks intent on busting your head open..

philbrad2
03-02-2008, 16:36
AVP and FEAR as you say, real OMG WTF I'M GONNA DIE! moments in both of them.
The entire marine Campaign, for AVP.

Not played F.E.A.R personally but original AVP single player was pretty scary.

PhilB
:chrome:

Tymell
05-02-2008, 15:13
Oh and regenerators from resident evil 4 were terrifying.

Oooh yes, indeed they were. Pity about the rest of game, unfortunately it didn't live up to that. In fact, I'd cite Resident Evil 4 as a contender for the worst game I've ever played. Absolutely atrocious excuse for a game.

I must confess to having not played the other 3, so I don't know whether they just screwed up that one or whether the series as a whole is over-rated.

Cirrus the Blue
05-02-2008, 22:22
I've got to put a vote in for Condemned: Criminal Origins. Seriously, so many ppl have mentioned F.E.A.R., but if you've played Condemned, you can't even bother to list F.E.A.R. any longer. Condemned is basically a somehow even more psychologically twisted FEAR, and you also don't have guns most of the time, being forced to engage first person with makeshift clubs you've picked up. The sequel coming out soon looks to be even scarier.

Hadn't heard of it 'till now. Just checked out the site. Yup. This looks like a winner to me. :D

- Cirrus

Shamfrit
05-02-2008, 23:23
The Licker In The Loo.

(Realises how wrong that sounds.)

Resident Evil. I literally...well, you know, fountained.

And the Light Gun game frelled me up pretty bad, played it straight, and I meant straight, start to finish, no breaks, no loo stops, no food, the anticipation of needing the toilet, fighting large tyrants and surround sound....never again.

Rabid Bunny 666
05-02-2008, 23:43
Call of Cthulhu was scary, especially when they come for you in the night. Until you found weapons that is. Afterthat it became just another survival shooter

DCOTE is good, but my mouse is buggered, so i gave up after trying to do the Innsmouth bit with a Touchpad :D

New Cult King
06-02-2008, 04:37
Not played F.E.A.R personally but original AVP single player was pretty scary.

PhilB
:chrome:

The game is in the bargain bins now, so you have no excuse :D I really should set up a hidden camera and record some "Reactions to F.E.A.R" videos for lols.

I was playing it one night, at home alone, with headphones on and the lights off. My missus comes home and sneaks into my room. I'm utterly oblivious until she roars and grabs me from behind...

After I picked myself up off the floor and out from under my chair (I literally went over backwards) I had to walk across the room to get my mouse, then the other side of the room to get my keyboard. I wish I was exaggerating :cries:

xbevisx
06-02-2008, 11:52
Im looking forward to Condemened. Picked it up online for £12 but havent got round to playing it yet as WoW and a bit of Burnout Paradise take up most of my time.
Played the demo though and that was freaky enough, so im really looking forward to it.

black-rabbit
06-02-2008, 14:58
The entire segment in the abandoned nazi naval base in Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is edge of the seat stuff.

Jampire
07-02-2008, 02:39
Small part in The Darkness where you're in Hell (I think, about what I'd think Hell's like anyway) and when you first look around there's just this blasted landscape for miles. Suddenly you're in these WW1 type trenches next to these Nazi looking guys whose faces are sewn closed. They then execute point blank some deformed looking prisoners.
It's pretty freaky, but somehow what creeped me out the most was that the soldiers never even look at you. Great game IMO.
Plus, almost every game mentioned above. ESPECIALLY Condemned: Criminal Origins. Scary stuff.

Templar_Victorious
07-02-2008, 14:08
Hmm.. WW1 Nazis? Must be something new I've never heard of.

CaptainDaris
08-02-2008, 11:11
Any games involving BARBIE!

I had nightmares for weeks on end...

Cirrus the Blue
08-02-2008, 12:07
Hmm.. WW1 Nazis? Must be something new I've never heard of.

Well, it is Hell, after all. ;)

- Cirrus

Dreamseller
08-02-2008, 13:34
Resident Evil 1 was really scary due to the fact tht i was really young when i played it aswell as silent hill with those creepy little babys tht hacked at ure shins

another scary game tht i played was clive barkers undying on the pc there where parts tht where quite creepy

From Shadows
08-02-2008, 13:47
Not scary but just creepy,Barney and Friends, it is my daughters game, but there is something about that big purple dinosaur that just creeps me out. :p ;)

firestorm40k
08-02-2008, 17:28

Just got it, currently playing through it, on that very level! It is very tense and atmospheric, it freaks my fiancťe out even more than the Silent Hill games! Shame it has some annoying gameplay features, like the checkpoint system (I guess playing the likes of HL & Oblivion, you get spoilt being able to save where you like!)

I realize its considered the worst of the Series, but Silent hill 4 has its moments. Like at teh start when the ghost comes out fo the wall and the giant head of that girl in the hospital.
Yeah, a flawed game as it was, those moments are especially freaky.

I'd cite Resident Evil 4 as a contender for the worst game I've ever played. Absolutely atrocious excuse for a game.

I must confess to having not played the other 3, so I don't know whether they just screwed up that one or whether the series as a whole is over-rated.
You're completely wrong; but if you've never played the others, I guess you didn't know what to expect. My mate who loved the Tomb Raider games hated RE, I could never get in to those but frakkin' love the RE games. I was impressed at how this game improved on the control issues that are love/hate issues of the originals, and I thought the presentation of the story was excellent. On the Wii it's superb, it integrates the Wiimote for some great control dynamics; now we've got a 360 I'm looking forward to when RE 5 comes out for it.

RE 1 - there was one moment whe I'd just started playing it, went to the East corridor on the 1st floor of the Mansion, go in, the corridor is dimly lit with blood'red wall paper, the music is bloody eerie as hell, and you can hear (but not see) a Zombie at the other end of the hall. I literally exclaimed out loud "Oh *****!!!", turned around and went out of the corridor.

RE 2 - this game, more than the first, gave me nightmares, I just found the setting of it (atleast, till you leave the RPD Police Station) totally claustrophobic.

RE 3 - when the Nemesis monster would appear, sometimes you'd just hear a smash of glass and the music would become more ominous, but you still couldn't see it... the - SMASH! It'd leap out of a window right in front of you! :o The fact it could run faster than you made each confrontation intense as hell. At least, till you'd played Mercenaries enough to get the Missile Launcher... :evilgrin:

Other than that, Obviously the first two Silent Hill games are very atmospheric and creepy - I think the film adaptation would have been 100 times better if they'd gone for the psycholigical aspects more than the gore, I love the way in 2 that by the end you're questioning whether it's all meant to be really happening, or in the head of the character.

I think that the Half-Life games have some very creepy moments ad frighteneig/pant-wetting confrontations. Like in opposing force when you're going through that sewer, can't see more than about two-feet in front of you, and these big alien crab things come charging at you - projecting lightning that kills you in one shot!!!

I played Project Zero 2, I found the puzzles really annoying and distracted from the atmosphere - that and the way combat is so *******' sluggish.

Some have mentioned Forbidden Siren (also know as just Siren); the scariest thing about this game is how bad the game play is; the first half-hour is extremely creepy thaks to its original presentation, but then you realise that you always get seen, even when you've spent 2 hours sight-jacking the zombies and thought you've sussed their pattern... and don't even get me started about the combat: Worst. Combat. Ever. :mad:

arch_inquisitor
08-02-2008, 17:56
First part of bio-shock when your looking at the little girl from the rafters of the theater.
She looks around like somebody is watching her whenever you look at her .... little girls are so creepy.

Cirrus the Blue
09-02-2008, 02:33
Meh.. I'd say little girls aren't all that creepy ordinarilly as opposed to the ones with the glowing red eye sockets... :p hahaha

- Cirrus