PDA

View Full Version : Chaos to non chaos conversions

Xollob
28-01-2008, 22:33
Has anyone ever wondered if it would be possible for say a chaos space marine to suddenly decide he's not happy with his particular lot and decide to turn good, I'm aware of one example of this, thats the Aquleon vek(however he's spelt)/ Kor Phaeron character in the daemon world novel, anyone aware of any more?

The Guy
28-01-2008, 22:35
I'd say it's very rare and said marine would end up receiving "the emperor's mercy" anyway so it's really not in his best interests.

Captin Korea!
28-01-2008, 23:02
They could be like the legion of the damned!

Raven1
28-01-2008, 23:03
Well if they went from Chaos to non-chaos

they would get the same treatment as the fallen angels get when they repent and confess to the Dark Angels

they die; if they repent its quick and painless. if they dont repent its a long painfull death

Xollob
28-01-2008, 23:27
so they repent, and get killed quickly, not thought of that, unless they where to go totally renegade or embrace the tau's greater good, which would be too much of a leap really

sabreu
28-01-2008, 23:32
Or, more likely, they could get away with it. The Fallen are known about by the Dark Angels, not many other chapters have a bent on finding 'fallen' space marines. Heck, it's a big universe and as long as the said Marine didn't bring attention to him in a negative way, he could claim to be from one of those chapters that suffered such horrendous losses it would be near impossible to disprove him or just fade to obscurity.

P.S. I think this thread is better off in the background subforum.

Imperialis_Dominatus
29-01-2008, 21:44
They could be like the legion of the damned!

Er... what? The LotD were never Chaotic.

Archangel_Ruined
29-01-2008, 22:07
I wouldn't think it's likely. The imperium has a very narrow minded view of the universe and chaos isn't a part of it.

Imperialis_Dominatus
29-01-2008, 22:09
The question is not "would a CSM turn to the Imperium and give up Chaos?" No. That's a silly question. The Imperium never forgives, and never forgets. The question is "would a CSM turn away from Chaos?" That is the question. I can see it happening. But the response from the God, if he/she even noticed, might be disheartening, to say the least.

StanMcKim
29-01-2008, 22:42
Sure. If Darth Vader can turn good a Chaos Space Marine certainly can. He could join the crew of a rogue trader, or simply become a mercenary. The only thing would be that he would have to stay under the radar of both the Imperium and the servents of Chaos.
-Stan

kikkoman
30-01-2008, 03:44
how does an 8ft tall god warrior in power armor stay under the radar though?

Giving up his power armor and bolter would go a long way, that would be interesting.

zoodog
30-01-2008, 03:52
I could see a follower of korne coming to believe his brethren had lost the purity and heroism of martial combat and going to a non imperial feral world to live out his life as a barbarian king.

As for going back to the imperium, other have mentioned what happens. You just cant lay low a a 8' superhuman killing machine (without a little bit of help)

Alessander
30-01-2008, 08:36
a chaos marine may turn back from chaos, but the Imperium would still treat him as a traitor. forgiveness was never a strong suit of the Imperium... they prosecute their own loyal marines as traitors, what makes you think they'd be nice on a marine who spent time as a real "bad guy"?

Sgt Biffo
30-01-2008, 08:53
The Mantis Warriors, Executioners and Lamenters were entire chapters that sided with Huron the Black during the Badab wars, only to eventually return to the Imperiums fold (though home worlds were forfited and a putative 100 year crusade imposed.

It has never been discussed whether they were in league with chaos or simply in rebellion though.

I think that the idea of changing sides over looks one thing. The Chaos Gods themselves. They are petty, jealous and vindictive. I can't image that they would take the affront to them lightly and can only begin to image what their reprisal would entail (when you consider they make their own devotee's into Chaos Spawn).

Sensei used to have powers that could reverse the corruption of Chaos- but the concept of the Star Children has fallen out of favour with GW these days.

Lord Damocles
30-01-2008, 11:31
The Mantis Warriors, Executioners and Lamenters were entire chapters that sided with Huron the Black during the Badab wars, only to eventually return to the Imperiums fold (though home worlds were forfited and a putative 100 year crusade imposed.

It has never been discussed whether they were in league with chaos or simply in rebellion though.

We do know that the Lameters at least, only sided with the Astral Claws because they believed that the independance of the space marines was under threat - so no Chaos alignment there.

To go back to the original question, there was a Chaos marine sorceror (possibly Iron Lords, but I can't be sure) during the 13th Black Crusade who 'saw the light' and guided the ship he was in charge of into a warp storm to seek redeption.

Richter Kless
30-01-2008, 14:53
I think it is impossible. Chaos doesn't take kindly to deserters and those who lose faith. The gods would propably turn said Marine into a spawn.

And where would the Marine go? Who in the galaxy is going to have an 8 feet tall, genetically engineered, ex-daemonworshipping, warped, maniac among them?

Forbiddenknowledge
30-01-2008, 15:13
I know of only one person to have done that - Arguleon Veq.

Not a whole lot on him and his ship though, sadly as I thought he was awesome. Find Daemonworld for the fluff.

StanMcKim
30-01-2008, 15:43
Laying low wouldn't be as difficult as you think for a space marine. Don't get me wrong, he'd have to be very careful about drawing the attention of Imperial authorities, but he could do it. Heading out to the fringe where there is very little Imperial Law, hiding out in the depths of a Hive City, settling on a feral world... lots of options. Obviously, waving a flag outside of an Arbites HQ would not be a good idea, nor would spending time anywhere near the Inquisitorial HQs.
-Stan

LordFulgrim
30-01-2008, 15:55
I don't think it's impossible but extremely rare plus, like others said in this thread, both the Chaos gods and the Imperium aren't all that forgiving...
They'd have to hide for the rest of their life.

Imperialis_Dominatus
30-01-2008, 21:33
Well, one also needs to wonder how much an individual follower really means to a Chaos God. I mean, in the new Codex, they give out mutations at random. A particularly powerful and devoted Champion who achieves much for his god might very well get spawned; a miserable failure who only manages to stay alive through luck might get all sorts of helpful mutations, or even not get that many at all. Mutations both useful, pointless, and harmful are given out like candy thrown from a float at a parade. Given the capricious, uncaring, and generally seemingly oblivious nature of the Chaos Gods, is it an absolute certainty that the offending infidel would get Spawned? Might he have a chance at escape? One must wonder.

Brother Siccarius
30-01-2008, 21:39
The question is not "would a CSM turn to the Imperium and give up Chaos?" No. That's a silly question. The Imperium never forgives, and never forgets. The question is "would a CSM turn away from Chaos?" That is the question. I can see it happening. But the response from the God, if he/she even noticed, might be disheartening, to say the least.

A bit of a different take on it though: If a Marine turns from chaos, does chaos turn from the Marine? It doesn't take a lot to open up the doors of Damnation and let chaos inside you, but can you ever close those doors once they're open? Would chaos still be effecting you like it was before, even though you don't offer worship?

Kandarin
30-01-2008, 22:45
You'll want to file off the horns and tentacles, and replace any leering demonic faces with SM helmets. Chaos symbols can potentially be green-stuffed flat. Daemonic weapons can be swapped with stuff from the regular SM sprue.

What did you say?

Oh...the other kind of conversion. Never mind.

Ashnari Doomsong
31-01-2008, 19:28
I don't see why Chaos would be too miffed if some people decided not to follow it anymore. Especially Tzeentch, who is, after all, strengthened by such things - and by the paradox that arises from his strengthening of it.

Phunting
31-01-2008, 20:03
As much as a shock as this may come to some people, but actually the vast majority of Chaos' worshippers aren't Marines.

Marines are generally going to have been traitors since the heresy. I really don't think any are going to say "whoopise, maybe this was all a mistake after all."

The Chaotic masses though, it wouldn't surprise if some do regret their allegiances and turn back.

As to marines that have gone to Chaos and then turned back, there's a DA marine in "Eye of Terror" who is tricked into going to Chaos and then repents. Err and I guess Fulgrim and Horus. None survive the conversion in any real sense though.

Fulgrim's Gimp
31-01-2008, 20:03
Wasn't there a story in inferno about an ultramarine who got turned to Chaos by a Nurgle daemon who then repented and blew the bejesus out of said daemon prince ? I think there was a sister of battle in it as well.

Sensei could redeem a chaos champion and the Chaos god wouldn't be able to squish their former pawn.

Likewise Illuminati renounce Chaos though they were only hosts for daemons to begin with. Fulgrim as an Illuminati anyone :)

grumpy old gamer
31-01-2008, 20:10
I thought that the Soul Drinkers had been corrupted and turned away from chaos and the Imperium ( though not the Big E.). They had the hall marks of CSM - mutations etc and they kept even after they told a big ol' beaky to poke it.
As to what happened afterwards - they sort of got in the way a bit and will simply fade away.

Supremearchmarshal
31-01-2008, 21:05
There was a bit in one of the old HH stories about non-SM traitors switching sides when Horus died. And some did it immediately - like they suddenly snapped out of a trance.
Of course, there is the question of how exactly does Chaos taint affect you - Mutants aren't necessarily insane or "evil" - and if they are is it their fault, or that of the xenophobic Imperial society?
Some people may be affected by Chaos and continue to fight for the Imperium, or for humanity but against the Imperium.
Then there's the Sons of Malice CSM, who worship Chaos, but are mentioned to fight both Chaos and the Imperium.

Imperialis_Dominatus
31-01-2008, 21:38
Then there's the Sons of Malice CSM, who worship Chaos, but are mentioned to fight both Chaos and the Imperium.

Ah yes, the Sons of Malal.

*hears Inquisitional Rhinos rushing in*

Gotta run!

Supremearchmarshal
01-02-2008, 01:05
Inquisition? Ah yes, the :skull: Ordo Copyrightus :skull: