PDA

View Full Version : Star systems of peace in a Galaxy of war

RedStompa
29-01-2008, 01:26
I have been wondering about thsi for some time now, but are there any star systems outwide of out solar system that have seen the horrors of W40k and been completely liberated? For instance A small ork warband terrorizes a system wages a firece and bloody war, but are crushed by *insert branch of imperial armed forces here* and returned to a peaceful state? I'm not talking about agri-worlds, but a system of moderate strategic importance (not enough to make a huge dent in if it was lost or gained) but enough for the Imperium to want back/ other races to want?

Here is the question without the backround: Has any star system been in the grips of war, liberated by the Imperium, and then unmolested by any sort of warfare ever again (and was free from chaos taint, if they were involved) ? Could this happen?

viralred01
29-01-2008, 01:55
If that happened (which is entirely possible) we wouldn't hear about it from GW because it wouldn't exactly make for riveting fluff when compared to the places that remain gripped by war, turmoil, chaos, and all the other parts of a balanced breakfast.

The Gothic Me
29-01-2008, 01:56
The fluff is designed so that almost any type of world the players can think of exists somewhere in the galaxy. So yes, the type of world you describe almost certainly exists.

Though I don't think worlds like that appear much in the background, places that are wracked by war are just more interesting.

dr.oetk3r
29-01-2008, 01:58
If that happened (which is entirely possible) we wouldn't hear about it from GW because it wouldn't exactly make for riveting fluff when compared to the places that remain gripped by war, turmoil, chaos, and all the other parts of a balanced breakfast.

"And so _______ lived happily ever after"

SNORE

Baltar
29-01-2008, 02:00
Yeah, it happens all the time.

The Imperium is in a constant state of flux at its borders. The Imperium will lose 25 worlds in one go, and then 50 years later an Imperial Crusade loaded to the walls with unstoppable whoopass shows up and takes them back.

Kage2020
29-01-2008, 02:05
One actually imagines that they are the rule rather than the exception, despite some of the comments above. :D

Kage

Baltar
29-01-2008, 02:07
In an Imperium of a million worlds, probably at the very least 75% of them are going to be at peace at any one moment.

The Imperium is a REALLY big place after all, bigger than the imagination can comprehend.

Kandarin
29-01-2008, 02:22
"And so _______ lived happily ever after"

SNORE

I could say the same about "And the entire planet of _____ was wracked by endless war until its unimaginable agonies finally ended in annihilation".

A little variety helps.

Gen.Steiner
29-01-2008, 02:22
Peace is the rule. It's the borders that get hammered. Safest job in 40K? Garrison Guardsman somewhere near Terra. :p

Well...

That said. It may look peaceful but, my Lords and Ladies, the God-Emperor's most Holy Inquisition will root out all those heretics and traitors who are working to undermine His peace! And that involves fire. :D

Baltar
29-01-2008, 02:24
Peace is the rule. It's the borders that get hammered. Safest job in 40K? Garrison Guardsman somewhere near Terra. :p

Actually it would be safest actually ON Earth.

Gen.Steiner
29-01-2008, 02:33
Actually it would be safest actually ON Earth.

Nah, Terra's Priority Target #1 and the Necrons have hit Mars, plus can you imagine the political infighting? It'd make the Borgias look like the Smurfs! :p

RedStompa
29-01-2008, 02:34
Hmm that was my next question: Is Earth really that safe?

From what I gather its covered with hive-cities, and you all know what that means... gangs corruption, possibly (although highly unlikely) a small chaos cult blundering around somewhere... how DOES the Imperium maintain order in the hives of terra?

Gen.Steiner
29-01-2008, 02:38
Terra is essentially like Coruscant - a giant fortress-palace-super-city.

It's the HQ of the Imperium, and the biggest office block ever. Law and order are maintained by the Arbites, the Munitorium, the various guilds and other organisations that make up the beauracratic rank-and-file of the Palace staff, and, of course, through good old naked force and violence.

The Ecclesiarchy, Inquisition, and various other organisations would, I suspect, also have a hand in hunting out the heretic. I wouldn't like to live in the lower levels but as far as I'm aware everyone on Terra is employed by the Adeptus Terra.

Kage2020
29-01-2008, 02:38
The obvious answer to that last is... By redefining what order is. Much like the real world, to be fair. :D

Kage

Ddraiglais
29-01-2008, 02:39
Dead worlds that have been stripped by the Nids are pretty peaceful. :p

viralred01
29-01-2008, 02:41

From what I gather its covered with hive-cities, and you all know what that means... gangs corruption, possibly (although highly unlikely) a small chaos cult blundering around somewhere... how DOES the Imperium maintain order in the hives of terra?

Not very well according to Wolfblade, and according to the Inquisition War the areas outside the actual palace aren't to pleasant to live in anyway; although thats probably true of most of the Imperium.

As far as the a solar system experiencing peace, I think its definitely possible but I don't think any kind of long lasting peace is too likely, what with cults, xenos, recidivists, heretics, seperatists, rebellions, etc. peace would probably only last for a generation or two at a time.

Baltar
29-01-2008, 02:43
IIRC, isn't Terra about the only world completely free of Chaos influence? Something to do with the power of the Emperor or something.

biggreengribbly
29-01-2008, 02:52
If by "the power of the Emperor" you mean "living in the central focus of Imperial Law, Beurocracy and Religion", then yes. Finding a heretic on Terra would be as likely as finding a Satanist in the Vatican during the Inquisition.

To the power of stupid.

Epic Thoughts
29-01-2008, 03:08
Wouldn't the greater bulk of Ultramar be considered 'peaceful'? I mean, after the tyranids were defeated. And, following this line of reasoning, wouldn't the bulk of Space Marine home worlds be considered peaceful as well? That's almost a thousand worlds/systems right there.

RedStompa
29-01-2008, 03:28
Dead worlds that have been stripped by the Nids are pretty peaceful

I knew that would come up sooner or later.. lol :rolleyes:

Forgive me, but I'm not quite getting your vatican city metaphor... I know what your getting at, buy I don't get what your trying to say.

carlisimo
29-01-2008, 04:22
Yeah totally, most of the worlds described in 40k's wars have been peaceful for 10-20,000 years ever since they were colonized. And then war comes to them, otherwise they wouldn't be worth mentioning...

But yeah, the vast majority of worlds are at peace. They barely remember that the Imperium exists... every once in a while, a ship comes to collect recruits for the Imperial Guard, along with tithes and maybe captured mutants/psykers. So they know they're part of something bigger, but for the most part they develop on their own.

There's a lot of fluff about systems becoming isolated for thousands of years because of warp storms and stuff too.

Finnith
29-01-2008, 10:40

Theres also the fact that your living on the same planet as your god. Which is always handy in any potential crisis of faith.

If someone asks you wheres your god? You point to the mile high tower made of gold surrounded by titians, massive gun batteries with millions of people around weeping at its majesty.

As for crime just tell the children god is watching them, as with any religion. Your gods just over there, you cant really think es gonna miss much.

Its just like if a lamp in your room was your god. While you in your room your quite sure it can see you at any time. Once you leave the room theres the tiny chance of doubt about the existence of a lamp you cannot see. That leads to the worship of the chairs or dining room table and is wrong.

Davout
29-01-2008, 16:51
The Eisenhorn trilogy describes worlds at peace pretty well. If your read Abnett's little blurb at the begining of the omnibus he tells you that he was going for a tale that stepped away from the warzones.

The worlds are generally nice, through very class driven. There always seems to be a little low level Choas activity, but nothing worthy of the Grey Knights.

In the 2nd Book (?) he describes Cadia at peace...which still means every one living in a fort, wearing camo, and shock troopers constantly firing off live amo