PDA

View Full Version : Traitor Legions armour colour: why change?

jimbobodoll
29-01-2008, 09:57
Hello there,

Does anyone have any information as to why some of the Traitor Legions changed the colour of their armour during/after the Heresy? And why some but not others? It seems a little random to me and I cannot remember reading any fluffy reasons for it - perhaps you can? ;)

PaRaSiTe_X92
29-01-2008, 10:02
I suppose some just wanted to, just to say "we no longer follow the false Emperor". Some kept theirs due to spite.

BrainFireBob
29-01-2008, 10:09
The Word Bearers- we don't know.

The Thousand Sons- we don't know.

The World Eaters- did not. Their armor should still be white under the gore. Because white shows the blood better.

The Black Legion- ritual repainting as a mark of their shame.

The Death Guard- did not. They're rusty/puss-oozing.

The Emperor's Children- did it individually, because they were bored. Think that girl that dyed her hair a different color weekly back in school.

Alpha Legion- doesn't really care.

Night Lords- did not. They already re-directed their armor to make it freakier/scarier. The lightning just became real.

Iron Warriors- did not. Why should they? Proud of their colors.

Brother Siccarius
29-01-2008, 10:17
Word Bearers was likely to cover up the devotions to the Emperor and show new devotion to Chaos.

Thousand Sons was likely to incorporate the arcane sigils and rituals inscribed there-in that they were banned from even knowing at the time of the crusade. There's also the whole changer of ways factor, as I doubt he'd have his legion wearing "Emperor loving" colors.

jimbobodoll
29-01-2008, 10:45
Wow BrainFireBob,

In all my years in this hobby I'd never even contemplated the colour schemes of the World Eaters and Death Guard as being the same as before, but just with an added layer of blood/pus to alter their appearance.... Your rationale about the white showing the blood better agrees with me too.... Its a shame these legions aren't portrayed that way on the table top though - the red and green looking distinctly flat rather than on top of a base colour :)

Thanks!

biggreengribbly
29-01-2008, 12:05
Several thousand years of crazed bloodshed tends to accumulate rather. And nobody likes uneven paint on their figs, as the 'texture' would be far too uneven to be representative of layers of dried blood.

Heck, at this point Kharn should probably be looking like Mr Stay Puft unless someone cleans his armour every once in a while :evilgrin:

Free Spirit
29-01-2008, 13:48
Actually the world eaters did change it, their armor from white to bloody red because of their devotion to the blood God and and their trims to brass sinds brass is one of Khorne's favorite things (i presume ;) besides skulls and blood and warfare ofcourse )

Magos Explorator
02-02-2008, 16:01
Khorne's colours are black, red and brass so that would explain it. ;) Otherwise I agree with Brain FireBob!

Templar Ben
02-02-2008, 16:08
Heck, at this point Kharn should probably be looking like Mr Stay Puft unless someone cleans his armour every once in a while :evilgrin:

Sometimes he fights in the rain.

Dominus_Serui
02-02-2008, 16:19
Sometimes he fights on the beaches, which is when you see those nice wethered effects...

Kandarin
02-02-2008, 20:57
Actually the world eaters did change it, their armor from white to bloody red because of their devotion to the blood God and and their trims to brass sinds brass is one of Khorne's favorite things (i presume ;) besides skulls and blood and warfare ofcourse )

It's just as well - a Legion of blood-crazed berserkers who tried to scrub their armor pearly white after each battle would be even angrier.

atomictophat
02-02-2008, 21:44
It's just as well - a Legion of blood-crazed berserkers who tried to scrub their armor pearly white after each battle would be even angrier.

I just getting the image of a berserker yelling and screaming as he washes he armour.

SLAUGHTER THE DIRT AND GRIME THAT HAS BUILT UP YOUR ARMOUR, MY SKULL BROTHERS, SEND THEIR SKULLS TO THE BLOOD GOD! SLAUGHTER THEM ALL!

Pandion40
02-02-2008, 22:54
Magos Explorator has it for the cult marines at least. They all changed their colours to the colours favoured by their god. Black legion as a mark of their Shame and I havenít a clue why the Word Bearers Changed.

Alessander
02-02-2008, 23:32
all cult legions changed to reflect their patron god.

word bears changed worship from emperor to chaos, wanted a new supporting scheme.

new Alpha legion fluff says their original armor is always blue/green scales, but they change color often to confuse foes.

Sons of Horus - black for their shame of Horus losing the Heresy.