PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't it be nice

Mortare
29-01-2008, 12:22
I don't know about anyone else, but with all the changes happening with 40k at the mo, or listed in the pipeline for the near future, it made me stop and ponder. Admittedly I don't play as much as I used to, and of course I have the traditional pile of figures stacking up. But I would like a period where they would just add a few new figs here and there to expand the available ranges without throwing in a whole new ruleset or codex.
Don't get me wrong, Apocalypse is a good move, and if Planetstrike follows the talk about it then cool. But a 5th edition and the re-writing of all the army books just seems OTT to me.

That's my 2-peneth, just thought that I would put the idea out the for discussion. Anyone feel the same? Anyone want to convince me of my backward thinking ways?

aad
29-01-2008, 12:50
well i would like that too.

just finish the whole range with every race another codex and then stop.
just make models and nothing more , and over about 10 years then we talk further about it.;)

just make new models, and stop bringing out new codices

Happy
29-01-2008, 14:33
I disagree wholeheartedly. :)

I love the new codexes (codices?) because it changes the whole landscape. I have to rethink my whole position on my army and my opponents, which helps keep me excited about the game. Without the new material to provide me stimulus, I think i'd get bored and find other hobbies to spend my time on.

Thud
29-01-2008, 14:43
I disagree wholeheartedly. :)

I love the new codexes (codices?) because it changes the whole landscape. I have to rethink my whole position on my army and my opponents, which helps keep me excited about the game. Without the new material to provide me stimulus, I think i'd get bored and find other hobbies to spend my time on.

Seconded. I used to get annoyed when entire armies (figuratively speaking) were made obsolete. But eventually I've come to realise that after almost nine years in the hobby, these changes is what keeps me interested and prevents me from getting bored with playing the same army time and time again.

EmperorEternalXIX
29-01-2008, 15:30
You know, if they ever did do this, it would be much more indicative of corporate greed and financial strain then their current strategy. I mean...it costs them a lot less to make the minis then it does the books. They make those books to keep the game interesting and always changing. I don't know about you guys, but I love that.

Happy
29-01-2008, 15:56
I can't really argue that GW shouldn't be trying to maximize their profit. They are a publicly traded company who has a goal to make money for their shareholders.

And if this was a small home-run business not worried about making money, the product quality would be low and we wouldn't have this community to get together and gripe about changes. :)

Mortare
29-01-2008, 16:15
I like the new models, and am a big fan of the fluff that they produce (in general!). I do like to rethink my army, try out new options, and like to have a varied army from which I can choose my figures as required, rather than an army built solely to one list and for one purpose.

I don't know how to be more specific in my feelings on the subject. I am not against change, as I think that this helps keep things flowing and makes the hobby as a whole more interesting. What I like less is the idea of change for changes sake. WD could supply alot more fluff and background, as the Black Library already does. The website already provides updates and FAQs, as well as new data sheets and the likes. And there are always new figures coming out to keep the interest. It just feels like you get the hang of one thing and then they switch it around, when I personally don't see the need.