PDA

View Full Version : Remains in play (spells)

stashman
29-01-2008, 23:15
I can't sort this out so please help me.

Player wizard casts a spell that is "remains in play", lets say Bears Anger on his warrior priest. That warrior priest has the Shroud of Magnus (Magic Resistans 2). It works well becuse opponent used all his dp for something else.

Next turn is your opponents and he tries to Dispel Bears Anger with 2 dp dice.

Can I in someway use the Magic Resistance (2) to Break his Dispelling in opponents Magic Phase?

Jack of Blades
29-01-2008, 23:26
You can't use dispel dice to dispel Remains in Play spells after they have been cast. ONLY power dice. Yes, you got that right, only power dice. And no you cannot use magic resistance against his dispelling, only against spells that in some way target you. But another guy will have to clarify because I can't be bothered to pick up my BRB atm. :D

swill
29-01-2008, 23:26
No, you can not use your MR to stop a dispel

stashman
29-01-2008, 23:35
Thanks guys!

Nurgling Chieftain
30-01-2008, 00:39
You can't use dispel dice to dispel Remains in Play spells after they have been cast. ONLY power dice. Yes, you got that right, only power dice.
Wait, what? I thought you could use remaining dispel dice if the RIP spell was still around at the end of your opponent's next magic phase. Unlikely, perhaps...

Jack of Blades
30-01-2008, 01:04
Nope. It works like this AFAIK:

You cast the RiP spell. Your opponent doesn't dispel it and you don't miscast.
In every following Magic Phase, your opponent can attempt to dispel it at its power level (regardless of the value you got when you rolled it) using any Power Dice he hasn't used. You can't use dispel dice to dispel RiP spells if you let them go through, only power dice.

theunwantedbeing
30-01-2008, 01:21
Page 110
You get to use(or choose not to use) magical resistance whenever attempting to dispel any spell that affects that particular unit, whether using remaining power dice in your own magic phase or with dispel dice in your opponents magic phase.

So, yes you bloody well can use your magical resistance!
Says so in the rules, page 110.

Feel free to check it out ^_^

Masque
30-01-2008, 01:48
You can't use dispel dice to dispel Remains in Play spells after they have been cast. ONLY power dice. Yes, you got that right, only power dice. And no you cannot use magic resistance against his dispelling, only against spells that in some way target you. But another guy will have to clarify because I can't be bothered to pick up my BRB atm. :D

This isn't true. You can use leftover dispel dice to dispel a Remains in Play spell from a previous turn. Read Dispel Spells in Play on page 110 of the BRB.

Masque
30-01-2008, 01:50
Page 110
You get to use(or choose not to use) magical resistance whenever attempting to dispel any spell that affects that particular unit, whether using remaining power dice in your own magic phase or with dispel dice in your opponents magic phase.

I don't think you understood the question. The OP was asking if he could use his MR to somehow cancel/lessen the opponent's dispel attempt.

Nurgling Chieftain
30-01-2008, 02:30
So does that mean if you're opponent's placed an RIP spell on one of your units with MR3 (I guess you rolled low :p ) you could then attempt to dispel it with three dice at the end of every single succeeding magic phase without using any dice from your pool?

EDIT: Yes, that's right, in fact it's explicitly spelled out on page 110. Jack of Blades doesn't know what he's talking about.

swill
30-01-2008, 09:40
[QUOTE=Nurgling Chieftain;2308406]So does that mean if you're opponent's placed an RIP spell on one of your units with MR3 (I guess you rolled low :p ) you could then attempt to dispel it with three dice at the end of every single succeeding magic phase without using any dice from your pool?

Yep, you sure can. MR units under the effect of a spell that RiP from a previous turn may attempt to dispel it using the dice given by their Resistance, with OR without the addition of any dice from the player's other available dice.

Jack of Blades
30-01-2008, 11:12
Page 110

*sigh* ... how the hell does being resistant to magic make you resist attempts at taking magic AWAY from you while not doing anything when magic is PUT on you?

If the question was if you can dispel a RiP spell cast on you by the enemy using magic resistance, yes you can... but that wasn't the question. The question was if he can use magic resistance to affect his opponent's attempts at dispelling a RiP spell.

Btw, dispel dice and MR aren't the same. That may have been why you said I didn't know what I was talking about NC. So just for clarification:

Dispel RiP spell on your unit with MR = yes
Dispel dispelling attempt on your unit with MR = no
Dispel RiP spell on your unit with Dispel Dice = ?no?
Dispel RiP spell on your unit with Power Dice = yes

Why doesn't it just say all this in the dispelling section?

Masque
30-01-2008, 11:53

Yes. See page 110.

WLBjork
30-01-2008, 15:29
Let's simplify things slightly.

Effectively, the OP is asking if it is possible to dispel a dispel attempt.

The answer to this is no, it is not possible to dispel a dispel attempt.

stashman
30-01-2008, 17:52
Okey. I try again.

I use a RIP spell on a character and that same character has a MR item. Spell is on and is RIP.

My opponent, in his Magic Phase use his Powerdice to dispel my RIP spell.

Can I benefit from my MR to protect the RIP spell?

EDIT: Another question:

Can a character have more than one RIP spell on him (like Bears Anger spell and and Hammer of Sigmar blessing) as long as its from two diffrent wizards/priests and not the same spell stacking??

Nurgling Chieftain
30-01-2008, 20:43
Btw, dispel dice and MR aren't the same. That may have been why you said I didn't know what I was talking about NC. So just for clarification:

Dispel RiP spell on your unit with MR = yes
Dispel dispelling attempt on your unit with MR = no
Dispel RiP spell on your unit with Power Dice = yesActually, the bolded section in that quote is why I said you don't know what you're talking about. :p Apparently you still don't, just read RIP on page 110 and it explains it.

Why doesn't it just say all this in the dispelling section?The rules relevant to dispelling RIP spells are under RIP rather than under dispelling. I don't think that's entirely unreasonable.

I use a RIP spell on a character and that same character has a MR item. Spell is on and is RIP.

Can I benefit from my MR to protect the RIP spell?No. Dispelling a RIP spell is always done by beating its casting value, you can't add dice to that in any way.

Can a character have more than one RIP spell on him (like Bears Anger spell and and Hammer of Sigmar blessing) as long as its from two diffrent wizards/priests and not the same spell stacking??Sure!

Jack of Blades
30-01-2008, 21:50
Yes master, I shall devote myself to cleansing my mind of unknowledge once I start! :D

Goruax
31-01-2008, 00:06
Can I benefit from my MR to protect the RIP spell?

Most definitely not.

The only times a unit/character can use MR dice:

1) when the spell is first cast on them;
- Player 1 casts RiP spell A on Unit B. Unit B can use MR dice.

2) during Player 1's magic phase with any remaining dispel dice AND/OR MR dice;
- Player 1's RiP spell from last turn remains. Unit B can use it's MR dice. Player 2 can use any dispel dice they have left, if they so wish.

Page 110, under 'Dispel Spells in Play.'

Those are the only ways to dispel RiP spells.

To answer the main question: you CANNOT attempt to dispel a dispel attempt. Dispelling in the final stage of casting a spell:
1 - Announce
2 - Attempt (success, #3; failure, #4)
3 - Dispel (dice or scroll)
4 - Result (success or failure)