PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Dark elf MSU with cauldron, need your comments!

happy_doctor
30-01-2008, 13:59
Haven't really played with dark elves, ever. But as the new release approaches, I want to begin playing with them while they're still the most challenging army to play with.

So, the concept is to use units that
a) probably won't change(miniatures-wise) in the next book
b) are good looking and will be fun to paint

The army's design revolves around the Cauldron of Blood, while the army-building principle is MSU.

HEROES

-Highborn, Blade of Ruin, Blood Armour, sea dragon cloak
-Assassin, Touch of Death, Cry of War, extra hand weapon
-Sorceress, 2x Dispel Scroll

CORE

-5 Dark Riders, R.crossbows, musician, champion
-12 Corsairs, musician, champion
-12 Corsairs, musician, champion

SPECIAL

-12 Executioners, musician, champion
-12 Executioners, musician, champion
-12 Witch Elves, musician, champion, manbane
-9 Shades

RARE

-12 Black Guard, musician, champion
-Cauldron of Blood

TOTAL: 2249 points

Any comments? I believe that with 10 combat units, I'm down the right path as far as MSU is concerned. However, I don't know how this army will fare against massed shooting and magic.
Most units are cheap and quite expendable, since they give away no exta points for banners.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Happy_doctor

Little Aaad
30-01-2008, 15:11
You may want at least one banner for added reliability.

happy_doctor
30-01-2008, 21:05
Thanks for the swift reply, Little Aaad!

So, a banner, you say!
Let's see...I wouldn't give it to the witch elves (As they are far too fragile for that, what with the frenzy and bikini-chainmail for armour).
The black guard would seem a good idea, but being 12-strong they are bound to lose fights on their own, right? They don't need to lose them by a small margin, since Ld9 stubborn will keep them around.
Executioners could make good use of the banner of murder, that's true...
Then again, I could combine the 2 corsair units into a big one and give them a banner, perhaps a War banner on top of it?

Let's see what others have to say as well...

I'm particularly interested in the character set-up (which could change, as long as it doesn't exceed the 500-points limit for much), whether I should bump the units to 14 each (in order to get 2 ranks of 7), and what other changes (within the limits discussed in the opening post) I could make to optimize the list.

Uriain
31-01-2008, 02:30
Just my opinion, but if you are spening the points on the Blade of Ruin, I would just as easily switch it over to the Draich of Dark power. A much better choice imo for a weapon, especially since you are not putting a shield on your guy.

Also, if you removed the Black guard, that would give you some points to get 2 Bolt Throwers, which would help you thin stuff down or kill charriots/monsters, and points for standard or two.

Little Aaad
31-01-2008, 17:23
One executioners unit to be 15 big with the banner. This would prove to be a lower power anvil unit with two ranks and banner and kills. Maybe the Corsairs in one unit like you said as they can actually survive shooting better than the rest of your choices. Maybe two units of DR will do no better than 3 and vice versa, thus two units are the better option. By dropping one unit, opens a lot of oppurtunity for your force like more units (well, unit) and that banner of murder.

happy_doctor
31-01-2008, 21:35
THanks for the comments, guys! I think I'm beginning to see what you're pointing at..

I've done some major changes.

I dropped the highborn (which i figured to be too many points, swapped him for a noble. Moreover, i exchanged the assassin for a BSB mounted on a horse.

The new list is the following:

-Noble, Blood Armour, Lifetaker, Halberd
-Noble, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, BSB, Blade of Ruin, Dark steed
-Sorceress, 2x Dispel Scroll

-6 Dark Riders, Repeater crossbows, musician
-6 Dark Riders, Repeater crossbows, musician
-6 Dark Riders, Repeater crossbows
-19 Corsairs, Full command, War Banner

-14 Executioners, full command, banner of murder
-14 Executioners, musician, champion
-13 Witch Elves, musician, champion, manbane
-5 Shades

-Cauldron of Blood
-14 Black Guard, musician, champion

So, better/worse and why?

The BSB has the blade of ruin as a countermeasure VS cavalry. His high WS and re-roll on to-wound rolls from the cauldron will hopefully guarantee a casualty or two.That, paired with a potential flank charge (he will be joining Dark Riders for this mission), will pay off for the investment by breaking dangerous opponents such as bretonnian lances, chaos knights etc.

Little Aaad
01-02-2008, 17:32
-Add a Dark Steed to your BoR Noble.
-Why not finish the combo and add a Pegasus to the LT BA Noble, then he would be easier to smash up the backside of a unit.
-I don't know ehre to get the points for these...

I am having difficulty to find any more faults or serious weaknesses in this list now. Good on you mate..

happy_doctor
01-02-2008, 17:57
-Add a Dark Steed to your BoR Noble.
-Why not finish the combo and add a Pegasus to the LT BA Noble, then he would be easier to smash up the backside of a unit.
-I don't know ehre to get the points for these...

I am having difficulty to find any more faults or serious weaknesses in this list now. Good on you mate..

Oooops! Forgot to write the steed! It actually exists, that's why I said the noble would work against cavalry along with the dark riders! Sorry fo the mix-up, I'll amend it. :)

A Dark pegasus would be 50 points....where do you suggest finding them? I like the idea, although the executioners might need his leadership...I could drop 3 dark riders, that would cover for the pegasus upgrade...

Thank you little Aaad for your help, it's been great so far!

Any other comments from youlurkers out there??? It's for the druchii's glory! :evilgrin:

Little Aaad
01-02-2008, 18:13
Drop:
-3 Dark Riders -72
-Standard on Execs (Not needed now you have an anvil). [[Edit: Drop Banner of Murder also. Your Execs should stay close and not get driven apart. Now you could keep a couple Dark Riders if you wish.]]

Add:
-Dark Pegasus (He can always be around in tight situations if Execs require so. 55
Executioners x2. 22

Might have got my maths wrong but it seems right.

Thank you little Aaad for your help, it's been great so far!

Always happy to help (Only if your Chaos or Dark Elves then I would not be happy ;))! It's a shame this is pretty much a conversaton between us so:

Come on PEOPLE!