PDA

View Full Version : PDF forces on SM planets?

virus629
30-01-2008, 20:11
Do the Space Marine chapter homeworlds have any IG or PDF forces stationed or is the defense left soley to the chapter? I was thinking about making a IG force that came from a SM world,

Troops that just didnt make the cut to be SM and became IG instead

thoughts?

Deus Mechanicus
30-01-2008, 20:18
Propably.

The Ultramarine planets does have a PDF

Malforus
30-01-2008, 20:19
Interesting idea...though I can see those Guardsmen having quite the inferiority complex.

Catachan sized human running around thinking they are weedy...now that is an interesting army.

Tammo_Korsai
30-01-2008, 20:30
Space Marines maintain their own PDF's, though they are run by the Marines rather than the sprawling bureaucracy of the Departmento Munitorium, so you could expect them to be very well equipped, i.e, the Grenadiers doctrine would represent this very well. You could even have Predator sponsons on your Leman Russ tanks to represent the high quality gear they can access, along with SM style missile launchers and assault weapons, though other heavy weapons would be too chunky to fire from the shoulder.

I'm also thinking of doing a Marine PDF force, however, Marines no longer have their own personal detachments of Guard as in the Horus Heresy they tended to push them too hard and the traitors used them as free meatshields and to hold onto the planets they invaded.

But if there were a very dire war going on near to their homeworld, they could justify taking their PDF with them, especially if they were living in a very remote, isolated system where it would take too long for the IG to turn up.

A Chapter could raise regiments and give them to the IG, but I doubt they'd want to sent potential recruits into the meat grinder and deal with the clumsy Departmento Munitorium.

Freak Ona Leash
30-01-2008, 21:12
Ultramarines definitely have a PDF. I assume any Marine chapter on a developed world would have a PDF, as is standard.

trigger
30-01-2008, 23:53
Some do some don't
Notable examples
Ultrima does although its not required buy imperial law
Fenris don't

thearchiver
31-01-2008, 00:09
I cant see the feral/death worlds like Fenris or Baal having PDF.

My guess would be if the population is large enough or civilized enough to have a planetary governor then there would be some sort of PDF.

Chaos and Evil
31-01-2008, 00:28
Those chapters that do maintain a PDF would be outnumbered by their own guardsmen ten thousand-to-one remember. :)

Gen_eV
31-01-2008, 00:33
Not only do the Ultramarines have (several) PDF, they also generate full-blown guard regiments, despite Marine homeworlds being exempted from the tithe that every other planet in the Imperium is subject to.

Once handed over, of course, they're completely independent of the Ultramarines, taking orders solely through the guard hierarchy, just like any other regiment. Of course, they're amongst the best trained and equipped regiments in the galaxy, what with them being basically another way for the boys in blue to show off. :rolleyes:

imperial_scholar
31-01-2008, 00:46
Reminds me of this post (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118898)

Deus Mechanicus
31-01-2008, 00:51
Though for some reason i don't think the Dark Angels have a PDF on the rock hmmm

Critias
31-01-2008, 05:58
Though for some reason i don't think the Dark Angels have a PDF on the rock hmmm
Sure they do. The tricky part is getting the Watchers In The Dark into cute little miniature IG uniforms.

Nveci
01-02-2008, 02:57
I don't see why they wouldn't have a PDF, since they can't always be at the planet that they have claimed as their homeplanet.

I wonder if the Imperial Fists utilize any Imperial Guard detachments during sieges. A PDF for them would have to be some sort of traveling group aboard one of the space marines's ships. This would make for an interesting Apoc. Battle Alliance and cool color scheme (which is something I think would be cool to do). You could have the IG in the colors of the chapter!

Brother Siccarius
01-02-2008, 03:06
I don't see why they wouldn't have a PDF, since they can't always be at the planet that they have claimed as their homeplanet.

I wonder if the Imperial Fists utilize any Imperial Guard detachments during sieges. A PDF for them would have to be some sort of traveling group aboard one of the space marines's ships. This would make for an interesting Apoc. Battle Alliance and cool color scheme (which is something I think would be cool to do). You could have the IG in the colors of the chapter!

With some notable exceptions (Black Templar) Marines always keep at least one company at their homeworld (two is normal, one is minimum). Outside bases and fortress monestaries are cared for by as little as two marines sometimes, but with dozens or hundreds of serfs/servitors.

Captain_Rory
01-02-2008, 04:28
I imagine they do, simply becuase i want to do a Salamanders PDF.

MajorWesJanson
01-02-2008, 10:14
This would make for an interesting Apoc. Battle Alliance and cool color scheme (which is something I think would be cool to do). You could have the IG in the colors of the chapter!

I've been building a custom chapter, but this is exactly what I plan to do. Marines are silver and red, whereas since the guard wear cloth, they are grey and red. All the tanks are silver and red, SM and IG. I plan to use the same insignia for both forces, as I like the idea of a Marine chapter that likes working with non-marines, and their PDF/Expeditions are fully integrated into the structure.

Remoah
01-02-2008, 11:35
I would assume yes, the Ultramarines definitly do, so if you're doing the IG regiment of a home-made chapter then there is no problem. Generally the Marines would be more than happy to send failed recruits to the guard, most of which would be instantly accepted for even being CONSIDERED to be a marine is something a billion aspire to but only one of them will gain.

As for the vehicles, get a Predator and replace the autocannon with either a Multilaser (chimera) or some form of big flamer-weapon for a hellhound.

Use Whirlwinds as Basilisks with Enclosed Crew Compartments.
Include boltguns wherever possible (junior officers, ect)
Use SM Scout versions of thier heavy bolters for guardsmen.

Just generally pimp the guard out, throw on Predator sponsons for the leman russ. The GW website has a predator turret conversion for the Chimera which i'm sure you could stick another autocannon onto and make a Leman Russ Exterminator with.
Chimera hull with Russ or Pred sponsons and a battle cannon would look fairly cool.

Apocalypse
01-02-2008, 14:55
Yeah, they aren't Guard units though... they belong to the chapter and are known as serfs... On Fenris they are called thralls.