PDA

View Full Version : Winter themed Wood Elf list

Firebreather
31-01-2008, 22:07
Hi there everyone. I'm interested in making a winter-themed WE list, that is to say an army of Wood Elves as it would appear in the winter. Now, my choices are fairly easy, being mainly Elves and no Forest Spirits per say. If you have anything to add in regards to which units I should or should not take for this theme, please do say!

One thing that's come up though is the use of Eternal Guard. Now, as a winter army I plan on basing the force around Eternal Guard units, as it's something a little different and really adds to the overall theme. I'm wondering though, for a 2000 point army, if I was to use mutliple(2+) units of Eternal Guard, what would be, in your opinion, the optimal unit size and role for said units?

Other than that, anything else you might have to add to making a nicely themed Wood Elf army of the winter would be helpful. Thanks.

mossel
01-02-2008, 08:54
I'd go for 2 units of 20 , but put them in ranks of 6.
I would suggest using a Highborn to make them core and give him the Rhymer's Harp and an Annoyance of Netlings. Always comes in handy. And a BSB with the 100pts banner (name slips my mind).

2 units of glade guard and 2 units of glade riders

And Waywatchers and Wardancers to finish. Don't take Wild Riders, they are asleep.

Last 2 charachters: level 2 spellsingers for treesinging and improving your units (fear or terror, regeneration...). This army will have a hard time playing shooty armies, but once the shooting is gone... Oh, and don't take on Chaos Knights with the Eternal Guard. They will hold their ground, but lose in the end. Unless you can get Wardancers charging the flank using Killing Blow.

EDIT: you could also take one Scrollcarrier mage and a Waywatcher Noble with HoDA, or put the HoDA on a Mage...

Leogun_91
01-02-2008, 09:31
Predators have it easier during winter so a winterforce should have lots of warhawks and gianteagles.

northwoodDreamer
01-02-2008, 13:02
Predators have it easier during winter so a winterforce should have lots of warhawks and gianteagles.

They don't really have it easier during the winter. However, they are definitely still out and about.

Firebreather
01-02-2008, 16:22
Thanks for the excellent replies everyone, your advice has been even better than I thought it would be. Okay, based on what's been said here, I'm going to put together a 2000 point list and post it asap. Thanks again!

Firebreather
01-02-2008, 16:40
Okay, here's the list as it stands. Please let me know what you think.

Highborn-
Eternal Kindred
An Annoyance of Netlings
The Rhymer's Harp

Noble-
Battle Standard
The Royal Standard of Ariel

Spellsinger-
Dispel Scroll

Noble-
Waywatcher Kindred
Hail of Doom Arrow

10 Glade Guard

10 Glade Guard

5 Glade Riders-
Musician

20 Eternal Guard-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Eternal

20 Eternal Guard-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Eternal

7 Wardancers-
Musician
Bladesinger

3 Warhawk Riders

5 Waywatchers

TOTAL-1996pts.

Chaos Mortal
01-02-2008, 16:50
i think in the winter the forest begins to "sleep" and so there may be alot more scouts in the army, and with waywatchers and warhawk riders you have got a nice base here. I would consider a scout/ waywatcher noble as although not that great in a gaming sense it fits in quite well with the fluff.

Do you want this list to be competitive or purely for fun? as i think that this can influence how we give advice =)

Thanks, and good luck, Chaos Mortal

Malorian
01-02-2008, 16:59
Wardancers in winter?!?! I hope they bundle up ; )

Firebreather
01-02-2008, 17:24
Hmmmm, that's actually not at all a bad point, Malorian. Although, I'm sure they have some sort of arcane protection from things, after all they have those talismanic tattoos and such. They'll be fine:)

Leogun_91
01-02-2008, 17:33
They don't really have it easier during the winter. However, they are definitely still out and about.

They do have it easier during winter. Their prey has a harder time to survive and many non predatory ,non scavaging animals starves to death which gives food to scavangers and predators. The harsh weather and lack of food also weakens the prey which gives the predators an easier hunt. The weather and cold makes some things harder for the predators to ofcourse but as it gets much worse for the prey that is a small price to pay.

Highborn-
Eternal Kindred
An Annoyance of Netlings
The Rhymer's Harp

Noble-
Battle Standard
The Royal Standard of Ariel

Spellsinger-
Dispel Scroll

Noble-
Waywatcher Kindred
Hail of Doom Arrow

I would play some more magic focusing on the Lore of Beasts instead of Athel Loren and I would also use that midwinter banner just beacouse itīs so fluffy for winter armies.

Firebreather
01-02-2008, 17:44
Okay, so isnt it only Spellweavers(the Lord options) that can use Beasts magic? I do like Beasts of the Lore of Athel Loren anyway, actually.

Okay, so instead of the Royal Banner, go for the Midwinter Banner....that would definately save me some points.

Firebreather
01-02-2008, 17:45
Ariel's Banner is so good though...that's a tough one.