PDA

View Full Version : A shout out to Nid players.

LoneSniperSG
01-02-2008, 03:27
I simply had to ask, since Nids are perhaps the most recognized and largest horde army. (Orks do not pale to them though, they're numerous too.)

I simply have to ask.. As someone who barely tolerates painting.

How do you guys handle it? How do you manage to paint all those Gaunts and Rippers and such?

imperial_scholar
01-02-2008, 03:31
I think I saw a nid player out sourcing his painting to China.... I could be wrong though.

azimaith
01-02-2008, 03:34
You handle it like anything else, a little bit at a time. Generally tournaments cause me to start painting.

byteboy
01-02-2008, 03:40
Simple: Patience and time management. I spent about 2 years on my Nids. They look great and I have to say, the last model of every army I complete, it feels like some huge weight is tossed off my shoulders :D Then I knuckle down another 2-3 years on another army....

Most people I see around here have jumped on the dipping bandwagon. Don't pat them on the back, since its not really difficult to do. The models look nice, but in no way reflects the persons skill. Its mostly used to rush paint models, like their is some sort of race or something. :p

But since it looks like you don't enjoy painting, you could search around for dipping or be a man and just take your time bettering your painting skill :cool: (I do hope you stick through it in the long run, its much more rewarding personally)

**All the dippers out there, you can reply to my comment, just don't look for an answer. We all know its a simplified techinque to getting models painted, and you know deep down you do it because you just don't like painting. Just don't expect any praise for it :p

azimaith
01-02-2008, 03:44
It gets models painted and thats what counts. Most people would rather play against an army thats painted and dipped than an army thats half or not even that much painted for 2 years.

Dipping is just as valid as any other sort of painting. Do you look down on people who don't mix their own ink? Pehaps you travel the world to find the proper pigments and manufacture your own paint. After all, if you *buy* paint your taking a short cut.

Dais
01-02-2008, 03:45
i never really thought of my army as a horde army. i always used genestealers and just had guants to screen since i started the army. i barely even used guants in 3ed and only a handfull managed to see paint. 40+ genestealers took a great deal of time though. just remember why you love the army.

LoneSniperSG
01-02-2008, 03:55
Simple: Patience and time management. I spent about 2 years on my Nids. They look great and I have to say, the last model of every army I complete, it feels like some huge weight is tossed off my shoulders :D Then I knuckle down another 2-3 years on another army....

Most people I see around here have jumped on the dipping bandwagon. Don't pat them on the back, since its not really difficult to do. The models look nice, but in no way reflects the persons skill. Its mostly used to rush paint models, like their is some sort of race or something. :p

But since it looks like you don't enjoy painting, you could search around for dipping or be a man and just take your time bettering your painting skill :cool: (I do hope you stick through it in the long run, its much more rewarding personally)

**All the dippers out there, you can reply to my comment, just don't look for an answer. We all know its a simplified techinque to getting models painted, and you know deep down you do it because you just don't like painting. Just don't expect any praise for it :p

I don't think I'm terrible at it.. I just don't really like it. Except when it comes to painting my BFG ships. I love that for some reason. And I like weathering the crap out of tanks..

Strikerkc
01-02-2008, 03:57
I got lucky and inherited a painted ~2300 point army.

Short of that, pick and easy and quick to paint scheme. Bugs don't get painted better than tabletop quality any how ;).

I have had to paint some to fill out certain squads, my scheme is thankfully easy. Base coat black, drybrush blue, brown armor, claws, feet. Black ink the brown. go back and paint some teeth and I'm golden :).

Do the same sort of scheme but with colors you like and you won't go to far wrong. Heck, skip the ink and just dip them.

Hicks
01-02-2008, 04:22
My girlfriend paints the gaunts for me, I do the fun stuff.

Yeah for slave labour!

MasterDecoy
01-02-2008, 04:31
Easy paint scheme is the go, they dont have to look fantastic by themselves, remeber your fielding them in larger numbers, so as long as they look good together thats what counts.

My scheme is mordian blue for the bodys/armour platings, solaris oranage for the arms and heads, and deneb stone for the talons and claws with a watered down brown ink wash to fill in the detail. (the guns generally are just a mish mash of blue and orange mix's) Its a faceless army after all and the contrasting colors grab peoples eye.

Ravenous
01-02-2008, 04:40
The wonders of dipping!

On a good day I can get 30 models done in 4 hours.

LoneSniperSG
01-02-2008, 04:43
Wow... I just basecoated 5 terms in about 5 minutes. >>; THough all I really had to do was get into the cracks..

Ravenous
01-02-2008, 04:49
I do both painting and dipping.

Painting is for projects that you really want to put time into, dipping is when you just want to GAME!

Considering how often GW changes the rules around it's easier to roll with the punches when you can make changes to your list over a weekend instead of 6 months after. I did 187 orks over the course of a week with dipping while my eldar took 3 months for 43 models.

Check out this thread: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27857

And dont let the naysayers try and tell you it isnt really painting, they're just grumpy that they wasted so many years on things that dont look as good. It's like film cameras saying digital cameras are crap because anyone can do it.

Alx_152
01-02-2008, 05:04
I try to use a simple but nice paint scheme. And then start painting for about a year. I also try to paint as many models as i can in one go. Then I can get in a rythm and I think it will be painted faster. Unfortunately, I don't have much time to paint, so I have several years of painting ahead of me.

Nabeshin1106
01-02-2008, 05:07
A simple paint scheme can go a long way. My painting goes as follows:

Skin:
Basecoat Mechrite Red
Magenta Ink Wash
Drybrush Blood red
Pick out details

Carapace:
Basecoat Necron Abyss
Purple Ink wash
Liche Purple main color
Drybrush Tentacle Pink on edges for highlight.

I can knock out ~30 gaunts in about 2-3 hours, I can do MCs in about 30min-1hr.

clanfield
01-02-2008, 05:33
i sprayed em white then used a undiluted chestnut wash.
then drybrush bone.
then picked out the claws and plates in scab red
i then use magneta ink for blood .
then a 50/50 black ink water wash and base em up
unit a day

Luna de hierro
01-02-2008, 06:20
Iīm going crazy assembling 20 hormagaunts 60 spinegaunts and 12 ripper swarms right now... donīt know what will happen when i start painting them, i will probably call a couple of friends to help me out with the first layers of catachan green. :cries:

Ravenous
01-02-2008, 06:26
Iīm going crazy assembling 20 hormagaunts 60 spinegaunts and 12 ripper swarms right now... donīt know what will happen when i start painting them, i will probably call a couple of friends to help me out with the first layers of catachan green. :cries:

Give in to the darkside and DIP THEM! :evilgrin:

Luna de hierro
01-02-2008, 08:29
Give in to the darkside and DIP THEM! :evilgrin:

i will... but need to finish the assembling part, never thought it would be so boring, specially the spinegaunts... to much work for so little point value, i really hope that once i field them on the tabble they donīt disappoint my expectation. :rolleyes:

Ravenous
01-02-2008, 09:22
i will... but need to finish the assembling part, never thought it would be so boring, specially the spinegaunts... to much work for so little point value, i really hope that once i field them on the tabble they donīt disappoint my expectation. :rolleyes:

Currently they are a distraction unit at best, but when 5th comes out you can use the cheap-o spine gaunts to screen important units like Warriors, genestealers, raveners, lictors, broodlords, genestealers, genestealers, genestealers....

I think you get the hint ;)

Spinegaunt01
01-02-2008, 09:30
How do you guys handle it? How do you manage to paint all those Gaunts and Rippers and such?

With grevious loss of sanity. :cries:

Ward.
01-02-2008, 09:41
I got lucky and inherited a painted ~2300 point army.

What where the conditions of this "inheritance"?

My girlfriend paints the gaunts for me, I do the fun stuff.

Yeah for slave labour!

I hear that :)

Hold off on the crazy until you've had to cut, file and assemble 200+ six part clanrats :cries:

To the OP: Adapted dry brushing is your friend.

Arbas
01-02-2008, 10:00
My tyranids only consume technological worlds and are therefore plastic coloured for camoflage :)

SteelTitan
01-02-2008, 11:42
I incidentally just finished a 1500 points tyranid army :) Check out my sig for pictures!
It's all about patience, an effective colour scheme, and not wanting to have a swarm army at 1500 point with 100+ models :D I was planning on one first but I soon noticed that the playing (before painting) gets really boring fast...so it wasnt even the painting that held me back.

Mercer
01-02-2008, 11:42
I try and do them in sets of 5 in a night, which takes about 1hr 30mins minus varnish which I do next day. So could have about 15 models done in 3 days. I just plough through it, but I do the bigger models first as they tend to take the centre piece on a board and plus they're easier.

Mercer

Paulie Walnut
01-02-2008, 11:45
Army Painter Strong Tones work best. My Nids have White undercoat, red Armor and were then inked with Army Painter. The Models look great, considering i painted about 150 Models in half a day.

Jellicoe
01-02-2008, 12:25
I have just finished repainting my nids including 150+gaunts and stealers. So yes I have painted a Tyranid army twice

Steady batches of gaunts should be interspersed with a big boy to provide some interest. A bold and simple colour scheme is also helpful and looks great

my scheme
white undercoat
blazing orange flesh - dry brushed fiery orange - inked in with a red/chestnut ink mix
liche purple carapace - dry brushed enchanted blue - dry brushed ice blue
snakebite leather claws + chestnut ink
chaos black for eyes and spiracles

I am no painter by any stretch of the imagination (as the above probably shows) but the scheme still looks great en masse and individually from Gaunt all the way to Heirodule

But you do need dedication and patience young grasshopper

Helm
01-02-2008, 13:36
Base black. Drybrush chitin red.

Drybrush flesh brown, then white over that.

Paint claws (optional.)

Job done, and it looks good too.

Victomorga
01-02-2008, 13:43
I am a RIDICULOUSLY slow painter who just started a new 'nid army. I try to paint the most visible elements first (i.e. carapaces & guns), so they look decent on the table. then i can come back later for finer detail (highlights, inking, etc.)

also, i find setting up an "assembly line" works well: paint each model's gun, then each model's teeth, and so on. that keeps me from getting sidetracked finishing one model to a super-high standard while the rest languish.

i don't dip but i don't see what the big deal is. it affords you more time for your bigger models, which spend more time on the table anyway (a beautifully painted and shaded termagant dies just as easily as a dipped one).

Strikerkc
01-02-2008, 16:03
What where the conditions of this "inheritance"?

It was a bug army that's made it's way around to a couple of folks. It's about 4000+ pionts, but ~2300 was already painted. I traded about 4000 points of marines I was never going to paint for the 4000 points of bugs another guy was never going to paint ;).

Going to sell the unpainted stuff on ebay

Ward.
02-02-2008, 02:33
It was a bug army that's made it's way around to a couple of folks. It's about 4000+ pionts, but ~2300 was already painted. I traded about 4000 points of marines I was never going to paint for the 4000 points of bugs another guy was never going to paint ;).

Going to sell the unpainted stuff on ebay

Oh, here I was thinking you'd offed an uncle.

CannedLaughter
02-02-2008, 02:57
I am in the middle of painting about 2000 points of tyranids. my painting goes a bit like this

Primed black
2 layers of watered down vermin brown
Dry brush blazing orange, and then fiery orange.
A coat of flesh wash
The carapaces and talons are painted with 2 layers of scab red
Small designs are put onto the carapace in blazing orange, then 50/50 blazing orange/fiery orange, fiery orange, and then the designs are outlined with chaos black.
The talons are highlighted with blood red.
and the tongue and eyes are painted enchanted blue.
Doing models like this it usually takes me a week to complete 7 models working about an hour a day. and about 3 days for larger things. It is a bit simple and with the orange designs the swarms look pretty good.

TheDarkDuke
02-02-2008, 04:22
I think a lot of Nid players aren't really hordes, with the points they can put into Carnifex and Genestealers... even warriors. I also have found some armies just paint up way way way quicker and lot damn good. I learnt this when I first started playing/painting, I started off in fantasy with High Elves, my brother with Lizardmen, after Id say 2 years? When Lustria was released I just had to paint up some of the Skink priest that were released for my brother as I loved the look of the models. I found that the painful task of painting a single High Elf to the standard I wanted (with all the armour, cloth, skin, extras) compared to the skink (skin, scales, weapons) was 4 to 1 in painting time (4 skink chiefs to 1 elf). I haven't painted a Nid, but they seem to be on the same line. I have started a Black Templar army and its a pain to paint, yet I started Necrons in 40k because I wanted an army I could paint up quick but look good, pretty simple when your looking at for me, metal and some green.

The UnNamed One
03-02-2008, 03:35
I dip mine, check out my sig.

Bregalad
03-02-2008, 10:21
I've finally found a painting scheme, that is economic and looks reasonably good. Instead of dipping, I use large amounts of flesh wash that do most of the work. Then I painted a group of 16-20 Gaunts at a time: one day for glueing (including pauses of course), one day for basic paints, one day for details. That way, I got 2500 points and 100+ models painted in two months (see link below)

byteboy
03-02-2008, 10:25
Dang man, thats a great paint job! Good to see someone investing some quality time on their models.
:cool:

MaliGn
03-02-2008, 13:05
I don't find the monotony of painting 'nids to be too bad, mind you I do get kinda bored doing the same thing time after time, so I think any future Gaunt boxes will be split onto four sets of four different types of gaunt eg. Four termagants, four hormagaunts, four spinegaunts and four devil gaunts, should keep painting the whole lot together a bit more interesting, same will go for any Warrior units, use each miniature to expand an exisitng squad, rather than starting a new set-up. This should keep me from going insane during any expansion of the army.

blackroyal
03-02-2008, 18:45
Iīm going crazy assembling 20 hormagaunts 60 spinegaunts and 12 ripper swarms right now...
I find that books on tape are wonderful for the mass assembly process. I should know, I have 250 guants... (gotta love two endless swarms).

I try to paint the most visible elements first (i.e. carapaces & guns), so they look decent on the table.
This is what I do. Then I can have a mostly painted army. I could care less about shading gaunts.
:rolleyes:

Lantern
03-02-2008, 19:26
The best advice I can give is "Keep it Simple". If your gonna try and paint them all camoflagued, then of course your gonna take ages. A simple, 2-tone scheme is enough (1 colour for skin, 1 colour for bone, then a single 3rd colour for details like venom sacs, or eyes etc).
My own colour scheme allows me to paint 16 gaunts in half a day (although I normally only do about 8 at a time - gives me a unit but doesnt overwhelm me).

I spray them black, then once thats dry, wash them over in black again so as to fix areas Ive missed and take away that "Spraypainted" finish.
The I paint over the bones in Snakebite Leather (Bones - The armour, feet, claws and sections on weapons). Once dry, this is heavily brushed with bleached bone, moving from the edge of the armour to the recesses.
This leaves the armour very light, so I then go over this one more time with a watered down wash of Snakebite Leather once more. I then tidy up the "spillages"of bone to black , pick out the eyes in red and teeth in white (they dont stand out as much if they match the armour plates), base them up and their good to go.
Final step for me though is to varnish (by hand) the armour, very liberally, but avoiding the "skin", so the matt contrasts with the sheen of the armour and makes it look durable.
Hope that helps

catbarf
03-02-2008, 19:52
I dip mine. Gives better results than drybrushing or speedpainting and is quicker than both as well.

azimaith
03-02-2008, 22:36
My paintscheme is a beetle variant now where I basically cover the entire body in a couple layers of different paints. It saves me tons of time because I don't need to really worry about where the paint goes on it, and it looks good, especially en masse.

For me its spray black, then Midnight blue over everything, followed by a 2 part Royal blue/1 part mithril silver dry brush over all the raised surfaces, then a 2 part dark angels green/1 part mithril silver dry brush over everything (but with less force), and finally a gloss coat over all of it.

Nabeshin1106
04-02-2008, 04:09
Do you have any pics Azimaith? I'd be interested to see how that looks.

azimaith
05-02-2008, 01:08
Yeah heres a link.
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113616&highlight=beetle+nids

Captain Micha
05-02-2008, 01:14
Those are absolutely sick. and by sick I mean pure awesome... you win the internet tonight.

azimaith
05-02-2008, 01:16
:P They're easy to paint which is what I like about them. I generally don't see armies like that for nids and I don't think I could take the hand cramps of some of the nid armies i've seen.

Nabeshin1106
05-02-2008, 01:24
Those look pretty neat! It's always good to see unusual Nid scemes.