PDA

View Full Version : Tale of 40K Painters: Monthly update #7 and February working thread

McMullet
01-02-2008, 10:55
Well hello there folks! It's the start of another month and time for an update from the Tale of 40K Painters. We're 7 months in now, so even up you've played a couple of Jokers you should be around the 1000 point mark - also known as "half way". Congratulations to all those who've made it this far!

For those of you who're in the tale - I think you know the deal by now. This is the place to post your painting for January. Since there aren't so many of us now, we can probably relax a bit but the general idea is the same as ever: Post in the thread to tell us what you painted, how many points it costs, a picture of each unit, how you did it and so on and so forth. Feel free to use this (http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1790884&postcount=2) post as a template. Of course, if you haven't done anything this month, please post anyway to check in and, if possible, inclue some form of comedy joker image. Submissions in the next 7 days (or so) please!

For the viewing public, here (http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1692451&postcount=1) is a brief explanation of what the Tale is about. If you want an even briefer summary: Basically, it's a way to motivate lazy painters to actually finish an army. Every month, over 12 months, we post 200 points of our chosen force. For two of those months we are allowed to do nothing and play a "joker". That makes 10 months of 200 points a month, for a total of 2000 points. Right now we're on month 7, so everyone should, in week's time, have between 1000 and 1400 points completed.

Last month's thread will now be locked - please use this thread for all posts, feedback, banter and so on.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Sam (McMullet)

As of the current time, the following painters are enlisted in the 40K Tale:

AnkhAngel (Ankh Angels (homebrewed Marines)) : 748 points painted; 2 joker(s) played
El diablo (Black Legion) : 840 points painted; 2 joker(s) played
greyclaw (Renegade Guard) : 1036 points painted; 1 joker(s) played
Heldane (Space Marines (Raptors)) : 1554 points painted; 0 joker(s) played
Iziuth (Eldar) : 745 points painted; 2 joker(s) played
Jim Reaper (IG) : 804 points painted; 2 joker(s) played
Marksekay (Imperial Fist) : 810 points painted; 2 joker(s) played
McMullet (Tyranids) : 1016 points painted; 1 joker(s) played
Meticulous (Space Wolves 13th Company) : 834 points painted; 2 joker(s) played
Norsehawk (IG) : 1146 points painted; 0 joker(s) played
Norsehawk (Marines) : 1028 points painted; 1 joker(s) played
penguin663 (Death Guard) : 785 points painted; 2 joker(s) played
Silvereye (Eldar) : 800 points painted; 2 joker(s) played
SuavelyDunn (Eldar) : 1198 points painted; 0 joker(s) played
Thoth62 (Space Marines) : 781 points painted; 2 joker(s) played

McMullet
01-02-2008, 11:14
McMullet's Custard Tyranids: January 2008

A slightly different approach for me this month: I am going to a tournament tomorrow so I had to get the army up to 1500 points. I didn't have time to do everything I needed to the standard I wanted in a month, so this month I have assembled, converted, based and painted the base colours on around 500 points of models, and next month I'll finish them.

Unit 1: 4 Tyranid Warriors. Wings, bio-plasma, adrenal glands, toxin sacs, flesh hooks, rending claws, scything talons, all that jazz. 204 points.

Unit 2: 3 Ripper bases. Leaping. 42 points.

Unit 3: 1 Lictor. 80 points.

Unit 4: 3 Hormagaunts with Toxin Sacs. 36 points.

Unit 5: 12 Hormagaunts. No upgrades. 120 points.

TOTAL PAINTING FOR JULY: 241 POINTS (since tha above are half completed)

BACKGROUND/THEME:

Same as last time. Tyranids infesting ruined desert city.

BUILD/CONVERSION:

The Warriors were converted a lot to make them look more bird-like (well, pterosaur-like really). They have steering vanes on their tails, clawed feet, cut down carapaces and fins on their heads. They also need something doing to their mouths to indicate bio-plasma, which I forgot to do. Some of the arms/legs are reposed as well.

The Hormies and Rippers are about standard, just the odd spot of reposing again.

The Lictor is also reposed be be climbing down the wall.

PAINTING:

Unfinished.

BASING:

Mostly as previously: Sand, rocks, slate, Cities of Death buildings bits. One of the flying Warriors has a dead civilian on his base.

STILL TO DO:

Well, I suppose actually painting them properly.

HIGHS AND LOWS:

Highs: Getting everything done in time for the weekend.
Lows: They look like cr@p.

PICTURES

Warriors:

http://images.fotopic.net/yrn128.jpg

Rippers:

http://images.fotopic.net/yrn125.jpg

Lictor:

http://images.fotopic.net/yrn127.jpg

Upgraded Hormies:

http://images.fotopic.net/yrn12s.jpg

Regular Hormies:

OK, I forgot to take a picture. Just imagine the upgraded ones with no toxin sacs on their arms and 4 times as many of them.

Finally, a (rather poor) picture of the army so far (http://mcmulletsminis.fotopic.net/p48118515.html).

There will be lots mroe pics of the army in action over the weekend.

Norsehawk
01-02-2008, 11:59
School started this month, and I couldn't get anything cohesive going considering the amount of work in design and photography that I had to do. I hope that it lessens a bit next month as I don't want to drop out, but this semester is going to be busy :(

so double joker from me, sorry.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/norsehawk/darkknight-joker-serious.jpg

SuavelyDunn
03-02-2008, 12:44
UNITS COMPLETE THIS MONTH

Wraithlord (Shuriken Catapults, Wraithsword & Shuriken Cannon) - 110 points

Guardian Defender Squad (Shuriken Catapult & Warlock with Embolden skill/Spiritseer upgrade) - 121 points

Total this month - 231 points

ARMY UNITS

10 x Dire Avengers (including Exarch with power weapon & shuriken pistol & defend skill)

2 x Vyper Jetbikes (Starcannon & Scatter Laser)

1 x Farseer (Runes of Witnessing, Spirit Stones, Mind War, Guide)

1 x Warlock (Spirit Seer Upgrade, Enhance)

6 x Pathfinders

5 x Wraithguard

6 Fire Dragons (including Exarch with firepike, tank hunters and crack shot skills) riding Wave Serpent (with shuriken cannon & twin linked missile launchers)

Wraithlord (Shuriken Catapults, Wraithsword & Shuriken Cannon) - 110 points

10 x Guardians Defender Squad (Shuriken Catapult & Warlock with Embolden skill/Spiritseer upgrade) - 121 points

CURRENT ARMY POINTS - 1481 points

BACKGROUND/THEME: Originally played Ulthwe Eldar for many years and bought the new codex and models earlier this year. Saw the "Carnage Tale of X Gamers" on Warseer and the eldar of Rob Peck. Loved the idea & scheme and this gave me the inspiration to start my army in July.

BUILD/CONVERSION:
Not very adventurous in the conversion front so most of my figures are "out of the box".

PAINTING:
Theme already decided upon so no issues!
Black for the outfit, bone shoulder pads, helmet & weapon.
Red for gems.

BASING:
My friend has designed and produced in plaster a series of bases which match the gaming table we play on. Drybrushed grey, black edges with the addition of static grass plus leaf scatter.

STILL TO DO:
Nothing for these figures.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Low: Hate repetitive painting!
High: Finished on time & am now ahead of schedule. Can relax now...

NEXT MONTH:
Could be Swooping Hawks, or it could be Dark Reapers...
Too many choices!

Have fun!

A.

McMullet
04-02-2008, 13:31
Another good month's work SuavelyDunn. The bases really complement your colour scheme. :)

As promised in my Project Log, here's a few extra pictures of my nids getting shot to hell at the weekend: http://samroberts.fotopic.net/c1453219.html

penguin663
04-02-2008, 15:33
UNITS COMPLETE THIS MONTH
7 Marines
Champion
2 plasma guns
power weapon
melta bombs

Total this month-197

CURRENT ARMY POINTS - 982

STILL TO DO:
Nothing for these figures.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Low: Got to actually paint next month ass my excess unit are running out
High: there is none

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i156/penguin663/100_0423.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i156/penguin663/100_0427.jpg

Thoth62
05-02-2008, 04:12
Thoth62's Brotherhood of Iron: January 2008

Only one unit done this month, and I have to admit, they aren't really done. I've got to neaten the highlights on the armour, shade the white, do the metallic details, as well as the details on the shoulderpads like squad markings and the like. I also intend to add some rubble and flock to the bases. I am however happy enough to present them for the January update. I am also one marine short on the final squad size. But I give you 9th squad of the 4th battle company of the Brotherhood of Iron, led by Brother-Sergeant Grigoriy.

Devastator Squad: 5 Space Marines + 1 Sergeant. Preferred Enemy: Eldar, 2 Lascannons, 2 Missile Launchers. 206 points.

TOTAL PAINTING FOR JANUARY: 206 POINTS

BACKGROUND/THEME:

Same as before.

BUILD/CONVERSION:

No conversions to speak of, but the bases are a slightly new style. I especially like the one upon which the kneeling rocket trooper is mounted.

PAINTING:

Highlights need cleaning up, shoulder pads need detailing, and the metallic details need to be done.

BASING:

I used some textured/tiled plasticard this time with a simple black and white checked pattern. I've used one of the brass etch pieces from the urban basing kit, and I plan on adding a bit more slate and rubble to a couple of the bases.

STILL TO DO:

Finishing all that has already been stated.

HIGHS AND LOWS:

Highs: Being able to post this update?...
Lows: Still lots of work to do.

PICTURES

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/Thoth62/Brotherhood%20of%20Iron%20-%20Space%20Marines/IMG_7496.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/Thoth62/Brotherhood%20of%20Iron%20-%20Space%20Marines/IMG_7493.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/Thoth62/Brotherhood%20of%20Iron%20-%20Space%20Marines/IMG_7491.jpg

Don't kid yourselves. They look like garbage...

As yet, I have no picture of the entire army, but I hope to do that as soon as the squad is completely finished, which, barring any major surprises, should be by the end of the week.

El-Diablo
05-02-2008, 18:03
Right, time for me to bow out disgracefuly.

At the moment i've got to much stuff that I want to paint and not enough time. The Orks are starting to come together and my chaos army is looking a little tired, but now i've got Inquisition stuff begging to be painted, plus everything in between.

Good luck and well done to everyone who has survived so far, i'll keep an eye on the thread, there's been some fantastic work in the last 7 months, with plenty of ideas to loot.

El-D

SuavelyDunn
05-02-2008, 19:58
Another good month's work SuavelyDunn. The bases really complement your colour scheme. :)

Many thanks for your kind comment!

I really like the way that the army is coming together under a coherent theme. The bases do add to the army - especially when the force is together!

I take it that with a comment "nids getting shot to hell" means that the tournament didn't go too well...

BTW - have almost filled a shelf on the cabinet I bought myself 8 years ago in order to motivate myself to paint! Momentus occassion or what!!

@El-Diablo - sorry to lose you, that chaos army was looking fantastic & I was looking forward to seeing your orcs also.

@Thoth62 - "Preferred Enemy: Eldar" - hmm, sounds like a gauntlet being thrown down to me...

Keep it up guys!

A.

Thoth62
05-02-2008, 21:08
It might be...

However, the background for my chapter revolves around specialization in campaigns against the eldar. It's not a shot at you as much as a shot at Eldar players in general. You see, my alter ego has much fun playing what used to be a Thousand Sons army, and as such, the shenanigans that Eldar players pull on my Sorcerers is nothing but spitefull. Plus there are a whole bunch of eldar and dark eldar players in my regular gaming group, and it's proof that not everybody uses the trait system for power builds... Yah, that's it...

Your army is looking pretty fantastic, by the way...

G.Hawke
05-02-2008, 21:30
*cough*

Hawke Ork's: January 2008

Sorry, i've been gone a while for reasons of the real world... and my blood pact are suspended at this time. However i have not been doing nothing. I will return and get everything i can painted ready for next month: This month however i will have to settle for just this as my months completed list:

Bigmek: wargear undediced

TOTAL PAINTING FOR JANUARY: who knows...

BACKGROUND/THEME:

Speed Freeks

BUILD/CONVERSION:

I have managed to build 1000 points in two weeks. Link (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120636)

PAINTING:

Bigmek for a competiton, came second place.

BASING:

Battered city with Death of Dark angels as theme

STILL TO DO:

the other 900+points

HIGHS AND LOWS:

Highs: Having an army built that quick
Lows: Having had it killed in two turns.

PICTURES

BigMek:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/Commisarat/PICT1496.jpg

Conversion:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/Commisarat/PICT1498.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/Commisarat/DSCF5334-1.jpg

hawke

McMullet
06-02-2008, 15:47
@penguin663: Another solid unit. Shame the pictures came out a bit blurry, but they look proper and icky again!

@Thoth62: Don;t be hard on yourself man - they look good enough even unfinished. I'm just glad I'm not the only one posting half finished models... :angel: The new bases are a nice touch, I agree that the missile launcher guy looks particularly cool hiding behind that bit of sheet steel.

Right, time for me to bow out disgracefuly.

At the moment i've got to much stuff that I want to paint and not enough time. The Orks are starting to come together and my chaos army is looking a little tired, but now i've got Inquisition stuff begging to be painted, plus everything in between.

Good luck and well done to everyone who has survived so far, i'll keep an eye on the thread, there's been some fantastic work in the last 7 months, with plenty of ideas to loot.

El-D

It's a shame to lose another one mate. Look forward to seeing Abby and his mates finished at a later date, along with your other stuff.

I take it that with a comment "nids getting shot to hell" means that the tournament didn't go too well...

BTW - have almost filled a shelf on the cabinet I bought myself 8 years ago in order to motivate myself to paint! Momentus occassion or what!!

Well, it's a nid horde army - if most of the army isn't getting mown down then frankly something's going wrong. :p In all seriousness, the tournament was a great laugh, I had two very narrow wins and 4 very wide losses, putting me near the bottom, but it was the first outing for this army and they, er, I had a great time. Special mention must go to last month's Carnifex who scored very well in every game.

Good news on the cabinet! I'm glad the tale is working for you, as it is for me.

@G. Hawke: Sent you a PM.

Keep the updates coming, chaps!

SuavelyDunn
06-02-2008, 17:22
It might be...

However, the background for my chapter revolves around specialization in campaigns against the eldar. It's not a shot at you as much as a shot at Eldar players in general. You see, my alter ego has much fun playing what used to be a Thousand Sons army, and as such, the shenanigans that Eldar players pull on my Sorcerers is nothing but spitefull. Plus there are a whole bunch of eldar and dark eldar players in my regular gaming group, and it's proof that not everybody uses the trait system for power builds... Yah, that's it...

Your army is looking pretty fantastic, by the way...

That's no problem - I believe in fielding the same army each week and learning how to win with it (my friends would say that I am an expert in losing...) rather than just tailor a force to beat a specific enemy. That's why my eldar will contain the full variety of aspects/guardians. I know I have had a good game when the guy opposite me enjoyed it!

Besides, you never know what casualty models will appear on future bases ;)

Glad you like the figures - I think that your missile launcher guy behind the metal barricade is "the figure of the month" so far for me!

@McMullett - The tale is working really well for me - all I need to do is fill up the other 6 shelves & I'll have to buy a new cabinet. By my calculations, that means I'll be available up until Tale of Painters 2015...

A.

Thoth62
06-02-2008, 17:42
@Thoth62: Don;t be hard on yourself man - they look good enough even unfinished. I'm just glad I'm not the only one posting half finished models... :angel: The new bases are a nice touch, I agree that the missile launcher guy looks particularly cool hiding behind that bit of sheet steel.

Good enough, true, but I think as soon as the highlights get cleaned up (which I think I finished last night) they should be better already, and then the details will make them pop just like the rest of the army.

I love the new plastic devastators, and that's exactly where those kneeling legs came from for the ML. The pose itself is cool, as it looks like he's bracing himself and reducing his profile, so I figured I'd give him some cover to hide behind. It's a bit rusty :P, but it'll do.

That's no problem - I believe in fielding the same army each week and learning how to win with it (my friends would say that I am an expert in losing...) rather than just tailor a force to beat a specific enemy. That's why my eldar will contain the full variety of aspects/guardians. I know I have had a good game when the guy opposite me enjoyed it!

Besides, you never know what casualty models will appear on future bases ;)

Glad you like the figures - I think that your missile launcher guy behind the metal barricade is "the figure of the month" so far for me!

I do the same thing too, but in the past it was usually because I didn't have enough units to have that much variation. The thing is, with my chaos now, I'm likely pushing well over 3000 points, so I've start using variations from week-to-week. What I do, though, is still make take-all-comers lists, with much the same core from list to list, but I like the variation every once in a while. It gives me the opportunities to use units that I feel like using, as well as adjusting the list when things don't work out the way I thought they should.

I don't think I've ever tailored an army for a specific opponent. And that's what I like about my SM's too, is that even when I'm not playing against Eldar, I'll still have that Preferred Enemy in the list. It's theme. I much prefer to have a fun fluffy game than to have an uber competative one.

I'm glad you like the ML.

And I should note that for next month I will be painting up a unit of bikers, and the sergeant will be armed with a weapon that you don't often see on a bike.

I'll leave that to your imagination. :D

Meticulous
06-02-2008, 22:38
Catachan Devils, Squad B. 9 Grey Slayers, 1 flamer. 1 Wolf Guard, power weapon.
Total points for January: 230
Total army points: 1064

Build/Conversion: Sorely lacking. I completely forgot to add any gubbins on to this bunch, so they're rather bare. The power fist -does- have its cables removed, however, representing its status as a normal CCW. The sarge hints at the Devils' unsavory reputation as well - was it a gift from their parent Chapter, or looted?

Painting: Tried some new tricks. Continued the weathering from the Long Fangs and did some chipped paint as well. Settled on a Chapter symbol: nothing complicated, simply an X, reminiscent of a certain other stealth-based group of hardened veteran marines...

Basing: Realized that my old scheme for painting the bases was silly, as the army's fluff dictates they are in a city. So, this time the bases have been painted a nice, urban grey, keeping the brown trim. Also present are bits of Ultramarine, as the Devils joined the fighting on Orphan VII at behest of the Ultramarines.

Still-to-do: Eyes on the bare heads and scorch marks on the flamer, not to mention re-basing and weathering the rest of the army.

Highs: They're done! With further detail! The sarge's stubble doesn't look like crap, I found a quicker method of painting the armor, next month's work is already primed, this brings my army to legal status, the list goes on and on!
Lows: The marine with a mohawk has an incredibly silly face, which is only halfway my fault. I may need to replace it. Also, lack of gubbins.

Pictures:
Sarge and marines:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a315/Ildred/GW/DSC00319.jpg

Marines:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a315/Ildred/GW/DSC00318.jpg

Full Army:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a315/Ildred/GW/DSC00320.jpg

sigur
06-02-2008, 23:06
Sorry to intervene with your updates, but...

@McMullet: Those winged warriors look cool as a unit. As you know, I'm possibly the person with the least knowledge on Tyranids and the conversions take me a second look to notice them but they are very neatly done and fit the "flying big tyranid" idea. Wouldn't this army be a good start for a genestealer cult army? Mustard-yellow robes and such? Just think about it. ;)

@G.Hawke: Wow, I like those conversions, especially the killacan. Very good use of various bitz to make a model that resembles the current killacans very much but with some personalisation. I think that the feet look a bit odd to be honest but maybe a proper paintjob will change that all.

The Battlewagon looks very promising so far, but a bit messy (most probably because of the older paintjob). Looking forward to seeing this one painted too.

Iziuth
07-02-2008, 10:06
At this moment i've put my Eldar on hold for at least another month. I've got an Apocalypse battle planned on the beginning of next months and everything needs to be painted. So I've got some guard to finish up. (Also the purple was starting to hurt my eyes ;) )

So If it's Ok with you guys I'll post a few months of guard (Catachans). For some pics of what I have so far you can check the link in my sig.

This month will be my updated command HQ with advisors.

I'll be able to take pics on Saturday as the camera I use isn't mine.

Jim Reaper
07-02-2008, 15:23
Wave after Wave of Jim Reaper's Men: January 2008

Hooray! I return to the Tale after a Joker followed by spending most of the remaining month attempting to get back into the groove. Without any further ado this is this month's stuff:

Unit 1: Commissar, Independent, Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol. 56 points.

Unit 2: 2 Stormtroopers. 20 points.

Unit 3: Mortar Team. 26.67 points.

Unit 4: 5 Consripts, no upgrades. 20 points. (This was meant to be 10, and indeed I thought I'd done 10 until a few days ago, when it transpired I'd hallucinated painting the other 5. I'll tack them onto next month's painting)

Unit 5: Sentinel, multi-laser. 45 points.

TOTAL PAINTING FOR JULY: 167.67 POINTS

TOTAL ARMY POINTS: 971.67 POINTS

BACKGROUND/THEME:

Guard, but only the kind on two legs.

BUILD/CONVERSION:

I've reposed the Sentinel to be legging it off somewhere, presumably the pilot has left the iron on or something. Sadly I don't have anything to use to build pistons on the leg on the ground (since I figure this should be compressed, I cut out the original part). As soon as I get a hold of some appropriate tubing, I'll finish this conversion off.

PAINTING:

The Commissar was a bit unusual as he doesn't conform to the usual scheme, and also I was able to spend a bit more time on him. The shiny metal was done with several layers, the silver with boltgun up to mithril, and the gold with tin bitz->brazen brass->brazen brass and mithril silver. His coat was painted by starting with black, then mixing in small quantities of grey and blue. The flesh is just my standard with added mixes in-between, and brought all the way up to elf flesh for the most extreme highlighting.

BASING:

Not done. I'm a bit shamefully behind on this, I hope to catch up over the next few days.

STILL TO DO:

It strikes me I forgot the shoulder insignia on the stormtroopers, plus obviously I need to do the Sentinel's leg. Plus basing, evidently.

HIGHS AND LOWS:

Highs: Half way! Whoop! Also it was really good to slow down and spend some time on painting a model (the Commissar), so it's not rushed like pretty much everything else in the army is.

Lows: The thing with the Extra Five Conscripts. When I realised, I wasn't far off throwing my fists up to the heavens and shouting "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

PICTURES

Conscripts and Mortar:
http://images.fotopic.net/yronoo.jpg

Stormtroopers and Commissar:
http://images.fotopic.net/yronoq.jpg

Sentinel (complete with the Hand of the Emperor ensuring its operational stability):
http://images.fotopic.net/yronor.jpg

The lot:
http://images.fotopic.net/yronot.jpg

NEXT MONTH: Those five other conscripts, an infantry squad, the heavy weapons platoon Command Squad, a lascannon team and, of course, a sentinel.

McMullet
08-02-2008, 09:57
Meticulous: Looking good there. I agree on the sergeant's stubble, that came out very well. Hopefully you can add gubbins later...

Iziuth: I'll say the same as I did to El-Diablo last month - if Guard and Eldar can ally in apocalypse, you're still painting a legal 40K army as far as I'm concerned.

Jim Reaper: Excellent work on the Commissar. He's got a real, "Sorry son, but if you're thinking about running away or anything I may just have to shoot you in the back of the head, awfully sorry about that," look about him. It must be a relief to spend some time on a model for a change. If I could make a couple of observations, it seems to me that the metal on his gun is a little on the rough side, and the barrel doesn't look drilled... Make sure you use some solid pinning on that Sentinel as well!

Seems we have a few no shows this month... I'll give them a couple more days I guess.

Marsekay
08-02-2008, 13:01
Well heres the work for feb, i did this a while ago so im nicely ahead, 210 points i believe on top of my 810 gives me 1020

unti of 5 termies one with assault cannon..

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/marsekay/termiesdone1.jpg

Thoth62
08-02-2008, 13:24
Looking good there Marse. I don't know if it's the camera or the lighting or what, but the highlights look awfully thick. Which would be so bad if there wasn't so much contrast between that and the basecoat.

Marsekay
08-02-2008, 14:00
Looking good there Marse. I don't know if it's the camera or the lighting or what, but the highlights look awfully thick. Which would be so bad if there wasn't so much contrast between that and the basecoat.

i know what you mean, for some reason that flash on the cam seems to put a lot more contrast in there, you dont notice on the models but the flash really "seperates" the colours. bizare effect.

McMullet
08-02-2008, 14:28
It's probably the texture of the paint - if the highlights are more or less glossy than the base colour, they'll come out differently under the flash.

Either way, that's another nice looking unit Marse. :) Any chance of some more pictures of the bases?

Marsekay
08-02-2008, 14:30
It's probably the texture of the paint - if the highlights are more or less glossy than the base colour, they'll come out differently under the flash.

Either way, that's another nice looking unit Marse. :) Any chance of some more pictures of the bases?

Hmm the bases, i will see what i can dig up!
these are currently in storage so i will have a goosey on my photobucket, if not i guess i had better take more pics!
although moving out of the ex's means i no longer have a digital cam, only the crap cam on my phone. its 5mp and has macro so should hopefully be pretty good.

Meticulous
09-02-2008, 03:00
I'm shocked, I'm actually about halfway done with the first part of this month's submission. Image here. (http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a315/Ildred/GW/?action=view&current=DSC00323.jpg)

I'd post it, but don't want to get in the middle of any forthcoming updates. Plus, it's blurry. There's a cleaner pic, but the colors look nasty; the blurry pic has the better colors, and the colors are what I'm really happy with...

Iziuth
10-02-2008, 13:39
Iziuth's Eldar, with guard Allies;)

Unit 1: Heroic senior officer with power fist
Squad: meltagun x2, medic and master vox. (141 points)

Unit 2: Priest with Honorifica Imperialis, Eviscerator, Rosarius. (115 points)

TOTAL PAINTING FOR JANUARI: 256 POINTS

BACKGROUND/THEME:
Haven't gotten any yet..

BUILD/CONVERSION:
The medic was a conversion I made several years ago (before this edition of guard). Just added a hairy head and a backpack.

PAINTING:
Green trousers, bare chest and bandana's.

BASING:
My imperial guard have green bases with the normal flock on it. As you can see I still have to do some of them.

STILL TO DO:
Final highlight on the HSO and the bases on some of them.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
Starting late. I started this months with my Eldar but got tired of the purple. I have attached some pics of the models I did. But a high was getting my guard army out of storage and actually playing with them again with the "new" codex. They were gathering dust for a couple of years now. I set myself the goal to finish them up.

Okay on with the pics. Out of all the pics I took today only one was savalgeable.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee22/Iziuth/Imperialcommand1.jpg

Here is the pic of the Eldar I started work on beginning of this month:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee22/Iziuth/EldarWIP1.jpg

And finally a WIP shot of what I'm working on for next month:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee22/Iziuth/ImperialWIP1.jpg

McMullet
10-02-2008, 14:41
@Meticulous: I think the loyalty of your "loyalist" marines is being called more into question with every picture you post...

@Iziuth: Nice command squad! Look forward to the Ogryns (and maybe later some Eldar again).

I've done a bit of work this week. First up, I finished the Carnifex that I supposedly painted for December. He was only 3-coloured as I had to get on with the rest of the minis I had to do for the X Legion Tournament. So, he's worth nothing to this month's work, but here he is anyway...

http://mcmulletsminis.fotopic.net/p48332928.html
http://mcmulletsminis.fotopic.net/p48332929.html
http://mcmulletsminis.fotopic.net/p48332930.html
http://mcmulletsminis.fotopic.net/p48332931.html

For something that actually counts, also I finished 4 hormagaunts:

http://mcmulletsminis.fotopic.net/p48332933.html

So that's 20 points done already this month! I made a start on the Rippers this morning so hopefully I'll finish them, and maybe something more exciting, this evening.

Silvereye
10-02-2008, 23:44
Silvereye's Eldar: January 2008

Yay I updated!

BUILD/CONVERSION:

Nothing major on the guardians, just posed off the sprues with a couple of arm swaps. Also used an Avenger Exarch's catapult and sword on the 'Squad Leader'.

Minor tweaks on the Wraithlord, filling in the mounting point on the right arm, the major work was repositioning the Wraithsword to be mounted on the shoulder.

All weapons have had their iron sights filed off.

PAINTING:

Same colours use previously, though still got a few bits of touching up to do.

BASING:

Will base the entire army at the same time when I decide on a terrain scheme.

STILL TO DO:

Glue their arms on.... Need to buy more glue, mostly assembling three Falcons and a Wave Serpent used the remainder of it.

HIGHS AND LOWS:

Highs: non really....
Lows: November, December and January. Oh, and painting infantry.

PICTURES
See thumbnails.

This month's task
Lots of tanky goodness happened with a Cloudstrike squadron's worth of Falcons. I'll be making a start on them this month. I get to poison myself with spay undercoat again....

McMullet
11-02-2008, 08:32
Looking good, Silvereye! Could you let me know the points costs for my mast spreadsheet (of doom, probably)?

heldane
11-02-2008, 12:02
Hey all.

Sorry I've been lax.

Still no pictures, but I have a model done!

Its my master ofthe first comapny in termi armour and twin claws.

130 Points I think.

I'll get piccies by the end of the week.

Cheers

Dan

McMullet
13-02-2008, 14:10
Cheers Dan. Look forward to seeing the pictures.

I'm still waiting for two submissions this month - greyclaw and AnkhAngel. I remember AnkhAngel was having internet trouble last month so I guess he might turn up at some point... I hope so as he's on 3 jokers otherwise. :(

Quick monthly StatAttack...

We're now 7 months in, which means we're all aiming for 1000-1400 points, depending on the number of jokers played so far. Taking Jokers into account, we should be on 15000 points in total - the actual number is 15358.67 (damn you Jim Reaper, with your fractional points units :mad: ) which is pretty damn close. Everyone is within 50 points or so of their target (except Heldane who is 280 points over :p).

So far we've played 22 Jokers between our 14 armies. Not bad going - but that leaves only 8 spare for the next 5 months. We're generally painting around 2000 points per month between us, which sounds pretty good I think.

We have 5467 points of (loyal) Space Marines in 6 armies so far, 3435 points of Eldar (3 armies) and 3153.67 points of Imperial Guard (loyal and traitor, 3 in total). The other two armies are Chaos Marines and Tyranids, which are all on their own...

In other news, my initial burst of activity has faded away.

Thoth62
13-02-2008, 16:02
I bring tidings... of stuff...

I did manage to finish painting a single bike last night. I'm actually very happy with the outcome, and as such, I'll try and get a picture up tonight. The plan is to try and finish another one tonight, but we'll see how that turns out. In terms of the bases, I haven't done anything except put them together. As in, I'm using the tutorial from the GW website to build the 40mm wide oval bases. I've got some rough ideas for how they are going to look, because the thought is that I'm going to use the bases to add some character to the unit.

I sure hope I'm giving myself enough time to finish what I want to finish...

Meticulous
13-02-2008, 19:07
Speaking of bikes, I'm in the middle of assembling four more choppers for my army. That'll give me a total of five to paint up between this month and next month (my rune priest is all done, barring another coat of paint around the edge of his base, and is nearly at 200 points). Five bikers should get rid of the point deficit I have from month after month of ~180 point units.

Thoth62
13-02-2008, 21:22
That was the idea for me too, except my squad will more than make up for the defecit as it includes 5 bikes, and an attack bike, so I plan on following with a couple sub-200 point entries.

AnkhAngel
13-02-2008, 22:31
I remember AnkhAngel was having internet trouble last month so I guess he might turn up at some point... I hope so as he's on 3 jokers otherwise. :(

A combination of internet pirates, and me not being at home for the last few days has delayed me posting.

I decided to get the land speeder that I basecoated for month 2 done...
I wasn't looking forward to it though, because in my excitement (read: lack of thinking) over building a bunch of vehicles after gamesday,
I got carried away and built the speeder completely and then sprayed it black.
This had left me with the task of trying to paint around corners and angles
that my mortal brushes (or possibly shakey hands) could not comprehend.
I had a few attempts at painting the interior section /crew,
but it was even harder than I thought it would be.

So I've decided that I'm going to make the model into a 'joke' model.
I'm going to model it full of snow (my chapter comes from an ice world),
as if it had just plowed through the top of a bank of snow.

So, the January post:

AnkhAngel's homebrew Space Marines

Land Speeder Tornado w. Heavy Bolter and Assualt Cannon (80pts).

TOTAL PAINTING FOR JANUARY: 80 POINTS

BACKGROUND/THEME:
Partially written.

BUILD/CONVERSION:
None yet. Planning on the idea mentioned above.

PAINTING:
Similar pattern to the Vindicator. Mainly white, recessed plates black, and brass metal.

STILL TO DO:
Black lining. And converting.

HIGHS AND LOWS:
High- Actually managing to get something done in a very busy month.
Low- Only managing to do so few points, and being so late posting (oh and failing miserably to paint the interior).

Pic
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/AnkhAngel/SM/DSC00066.jpg

I've got the next 2 weeks off from uni,
which means that I have a break (to a certain degree) from working.
So I'm planning on catching up with the points I'm behind by,
and maybe earning back a joker (if I can manage it).
I currently have my second speeder half built, and have a command squad and sniper scout squad about half built as well.
So they'll be the start of my next month's (Feb) stuff.

Thoth62
14-02-2008, 03:53
Good news! I've taken pictures of the finished Devastators. I've also (almost) finished a second bike tonight. I've got no pictures of the entire army though, so that'll have to wait. I do have pictures of the aforementioned bikes and devastators though. So here they are.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/Thoth62/Brotherhood%20of%20Iron%20-%20Space%20Marines/IMG_7497.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/Thoth62/Brotherhood%20of%20Iron%20-%20Space%20Marines/IMG_7499.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/Thoth62/Brotherhood%20of%20Iron%20-%20Space%20Marines/IMG_7501.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/Thoth62/Brotherhood%20of%20Iron%20-%20Space%20Marines/IMG_7502.jpg

Enjoy.

McMullet
14-02-2008, 10:23
AnkhAngel: Glad you made it back online mate. :) Best of luck with this month.
Thoth: Devs are looking sweet, and I like the leaning melta biker. Excellent progress so far this month!

Last night I finished a load of half-done models from ages ago, there'll be pics in my log shortly...

Thoth62
14-02-2008, 13:14
Oh yah, I forgot to say... There are more pics in my log, which I recently decided to raise from the dead. I'd love for people to go check that out too, and leave some comments.

heldane
20-02-2008, 17:54
Hey all,

well here are my belated pictures, nothing special but its something.

Heldane's painting. Month 7
Units complete.

Space Marine Master - 130 Points
Terminator Armour, Twin Lightning claws

Total - 130 Points

TOTAL ARMY POINTS - 1684 Pts

BACKGROUND/THEME: I've got an entire companies worth of marines to build and paint, all armed with mk8 errant armour and M40 pattern deathwatch bolters. Originally they were going to be Blood Ravens, but I painted a total of 5 models for them in 2 years, so I changed my mind to Raptors as I fancied doing a quick to paint and underused chapter. I do have plans to complete this force as a complete company with additional support units though.

BUILD/CONVERSION:

Ok, I started with the Imperial Fists special character and introduced him to 'Mr Dremel' on his chest plate, head and legs.

The head was replaced with a head from the old chaos terminators. The leg was re-built and smoothed out with green stuff as was the damage to his torso.

The lightning claws and shoulder pads are plastic kit.

PAINTING:

Ogre flesh basecoat, catachan green armour with a mix of VMC ivory and desert yellow added to highlight with 2 drybrushes and 2 line highlights. After that a glaze of catachan green and brown ink. Black was done with either codex or shadow highlights depending on what it was, guns or armour. Metals are boltgun with an armour wash.

BASING:
Rocks made from plaster of paris smashed up, painted grey and drybrushed. Sand is just that, sand. Painted Scorched brown, dry brushed snakebite and then bone.

STILL TO DO:

The base and decals, this wont be done till I get the other 15 termies in the force done.

HIGHS AND LOWS:

Low points were not being able to get the models comepletely done for this month.

High points were being able to finish this months entry in a single day before I'd even posted up last months entry.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/heldane/Raptors/HQ/DSCN0691.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/heldane/Raptors/HQ/DSCN0690.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/heldane/Raptors/HQ/DSCN0689.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/heldane/Raptors/HQ/DSCN0688.jpg

For this month it looks like I may have to fall back onto that stack of painted stuff from last month, Lavfluris convinced me to come the carnage north and I've another 1000 Points of bretonnians to paint.
That said however, I'm in the middle of a week off and I've put some inquisition stuff together and I'm part way through building a land raider crusader. Something may get done inbetween models.

Silvereye
23-02-2008, 13:38
Looking good, Silvereye! Could you let me know the points costs for my mast spreadsheet (of doom, probably)?

Meh, points....

Well since you asked nicely, and the replacement weapons are not finished for the wraithlord (it was supposed to be lugging a Starcannon instead of the scatter laser which was supposed to be on the weapons platform...).

10 Guardians with shuriken cannon on weapons platform. (85 points)
1 Wraithlord with scatterlaser. (110 points)

I was intending to paint Falcons this month, but running out of spray means that I'm now painting a Farseer and four Warlocks instead. (and not for other reasons like boosting my points with psychic-fu or expensive wargear for instance :D )

Thoth62
25-02-2008, 04:00
Well, over the weekend, I finished a 3rd biker, so I've got two more bikers to do, and then the attack bike. I'll hopefully have them done by next weekend.

Whether I'll get the bases done anytime soon is another question entirely.

Thoth62
27-02-2008, 13:52
Attack bike is now "done", and work is progressing on the last two members of the squad.

You can see my Project log for pictures. Stay a while... leave some comments... ;)

McMullet
27-02-2008, 14:26
Heldane: Nice work on the commander. The red blending on the robe looks
great.
Silereye: Thanks mate. :)
Thoth: Good work on the bikers. Left you a comment. ;)

I've nearly half finished the hormies for this month, nearly finished the Lictor and completed the Rippers. Even if I don't get around to the Warriors that'll still keep me on track.

McMullet
01-03-2008, 14:50
We have a new thread now folks... post away!

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2400669#post2400669