PDA

View Full Version : Fall Themed Wood Elves

northwoodDreamer
01-02-2008, 13:04
I'm beginning a fall themed army and was wondering what units everyone thinks are best suited for the fall. The two things I've can see is that there shouldn't be Wild Riders and there also shouldn't be too many other forest spirits, though I believe some would be acceptable. What else troop-wise make a fall-flavored list unique?

Live-eviL
01-02-2008, 14:39
Well, I'd assume almost any unit could be flavored to fit an autumn theme. Glade guard, Scouts and Waywatchers would be great if you paint them camouflaged or even with just a normal theme. The Waywatcher lord (I think) with leaves on his back would also be great.
You've probably seen it, but here's a link to some nice themes from GW for glade guard.
http://uk.games-workshop.com/woodelves/glade-guard-showcase/2/
Best of luck!

TheLionReturns
01-02-2008, 14:43
With the forests power diminishing at these times I would suggest avoiding treemen and treekin, and perhaps limiting yourself to only 1 or 2 max units of dryads. Both tactically and fluffily Eternal Guard take over as your anvil unit here so a reasonably sized unit of these seems a good idea. I think with the forest becoming less aggressive to outsiders, the Asrai would make increased use of scouts, waywatchers and warhawk riders to watch for and bring warning of threats so having these play a prominent role in your list seems a good idea. Also as the spellsingers draw their power from the forest perhaps going magic light in the list would also be fluffy. Of course this may not be too fun tactically with your T3 no armour elves (no T4+ forest spirits remember) likely to be very exposed to magic missiles.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
01-02-2008, 17:37
to be honest, I think any wood elf army that's themed for a certain time of the year can include pretty much all the troops, if you paint them autumn-y, maybe do some fluff then you have an Autumn themed army. :)

AllTheWayUlthwe
01-02-2008, 18:03
I just wanted to thank Live-eviL for providing that link to the GW site. I myself have been tackling the idea of how to paint my wood elves and have thus far been stumped. That article really help to solidify my ideas and now I think I can move forward. Thanks again.

Scythe
01-02-2008, 18:15
An excellent idea!

As you might have guessed, I am building a fall based wood elf army myself at the moment. ;) Sorry for the extremely crappy picture, but it is the only one I have at the moment.

For units, I tend to limit myself not too much. The army will be mainly elven based, focussed on 3 or 4 units of glade guard and a large unit of eternal guard as center and bait (gotta love the wonderfull contrast the gold armour gives with red and brown cloathing) at 2500 pts. There will be some forest spirits around, but in limited numbers. I won't be using any wild riders or warhawk riders, as they really feel like spring units to me (Orions wild hunt and all), plus I don't really like them anyway (nice coincidence for me :p).

Lyonator
01-02-2008, 18:16
I agree with the idea of steering clear of most forest spirits...
I'd say 2 units of dryads tops, and *maybe* a small unit of wild riders...
but no spirits other than that, or possibly a non-level 1 branchie.

rodmillard
01-02-2008, 18:45
If you do want to use forest spirits (and if your modelling skills are up to it) you could do worse than convert "evergreen" dryads based on pines, douglas fir, etc. I've seen it done for a winter army, and it rocks - although for an autumnal theme you'd want to replace snow bases with fallen leaves...

E-Dog
01-02-2008, 19:00
Hope this gives you some ideas.....http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106000

northwoodDreamer
01-02-2008, 19:00
If you do want to use forest spirits (and if your modelling skills are up to it) you could do worse than convert "evergreen" dryads based on pines, douglas fir, etc. I've seen it done for a winter army, and it rocks - although for an autumnal theme you'd want to replace snow bases with fallen leaves...

My modeling skills are non-existent. I've never really made an army before and actually focused on how they looked... but I really like the Woodies so I would like to focus on this now. Are there pics of those Dryads you speak of online anywhere? I would really like to see them.

@ scythe - I really like the look of your army, probably the best autumn models I have seen so far. I think warhawk riders fit well into the autumn theme, as hawks are out and about every season of the year.

Right now in the forest spirit department I'm running one unit of 8 Dryads with a level 1 Branchwraith. I don't think that's unreasonable for an autumn army.

Scythe
02-02-2008, 10:13
Hope this gives you some ideas.....http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106000

Thanks for that link! I have the intention to add the sisters of twilight to my army at some point in the future, and that dragon is a great inspiration. Really nicely done.

@ scythe - I really like the look of your army, probably the best autumn models I have seen so far. I think warhawk riders fit well into the autumn theme, as hawks are out and about every season of the year.

Right now in the forest spirit department I'm running one unit of 8 Dryads with a level 1 Branchwraith. I don't think that's unreasonable for an autumn army.

Yeah, you can get away with using warhawk riders. It is just that I don't like the idea of elves riding ('surfing') hawks, that's all. In the final 2500 pts army, I personally intend to use 2 small units of Dryads, a Branchwraith, and a small unit of Treekin. Maybe quite some units after all, but I think they'll look really nice with some colored fall leaves mixed in.

TheLionReturns
02-02-2008, 12:18
In an earlier post I suggested that you avoid forest spirits for a fall/autumn themed army. The forests power wanes during this time so that would fit. However, I think it is important to consider that the forest spirits have not simply disappeared en masse, there are just less and they are meant to be weaker. Furthermore the situation is nowhere near as dire as in the winter months.

Whilst going light on forest spirits is fluffy, conversely I don't think it should be read that having forest spirits is somehow wrong. They exit in the fall/autumn and as such can be mobilised for war.

The most important thing in building an army for me is the models and the look. Forest spirits look great in this theme and I would recommend it. You can always build the background to match. For example the elves have had to move to an area usually defended solely by forest spirits to reinforce them during the fall and winter.

I have seen some amazing wild rider centaur conversions and random animals in place of dryads. There is no major and clear fluff justification for this but that doesn't stop the army looking amazing.