PDA

View Full Version : Want a Vampire Count that can be almost literally unkillable?

Jack of Blades
01-02-2008, 15:38
Vampire Count

Spectral Horror
Forbidden Lore; Lore of Light

Cast Pha's Illumination on yourself, and you can now count magic weapons used against you as mundane weapons of the same type. Combined with a strong magic phase, this means that the only way to kill you will be through magic missiles since you can't actually be harmed by anything in Close Combat and you can't be shot down by mundane missiles.

Alternatively, you can make a Vampire a Spectral Horror and put LOL on some other Vampire. This keeps your lord nice and beefy, but the Thrall doesn't lose that much out of it.

Then you can have fun with Cleansing Flare too. What do you guys think?

Oberon
01-02-2008, 15:46
O_o
Well, at least that is dependant of one spell getting through->it'll work only once/game/opponent. When he realises the vamp cannot be killed, he'll surely dispel that spell.

Does this combo take all your allowance, or can the vamp do anything else than being unkillable at the same time?

Jack of Blades
01-02-2008, 15:50
Yep... well if it was possible to do this easily it would be too good. Not imbalanced because he hits worse than an Exalted Champion, but still.
Nah, he can't do anything else. That's the bad part... but he's unkillable! :D
I'd use him to hold up units for the entire game and such. People that play low magic defense all-eggs-in-one-basket armies will probably hate this combo.

I suppose you could give him the Red Fury or Infinite Hatred + Beguile/Supernatural Terror, though, instead of Forbidden Lore (you'd certainly have a Thrall take it instead).

Malorian
01-02-2008, 16:11
Bah... things like this are pointless. You'll just be beaten by static CR and run anyway. Make your characters offensive if you want them to do well.

And like it wa said above it will only work once and then your opponent will be ready to dispel it next time.

Stella Cadente
01-02-2008, 16:16
as said it will work once and thats it, once your enemy learns everyone watching will learn, everyone who isnt watching will soon find out etc etc etc

plus once a flaming Dwarf cannonball hits him its all over

Jack of Blades
01-02-2008, 16:36
Of course they're pointless etc etc, but it could be fun to do on occasion :)

theunwantedbeing
01-02-2008, 16:51
Oh no 3 st5 attacks...terrifying.
Doesnt stop me thwacking him with some magic spell to kill him.

NecroNurgle
01-02-2008, 17:00
You'll just be beaten by static CR and run anyway.

A vampire? Run away? You mean crumble right?

Malorian
01-02-2008, 18:01
Ya ya... runs, crumble... it dies ok? : )

Gaftra
01-02-2008, 18:07
you could look at doing this combo on one of your thralls to make him ethereal and hang out with a spirit host for yet another tarpit unit, though do really NEED another tar pit?

W0lf
01-02-2008, 18:13
Thats pants.

Take a dwarf lord on Shield bearers.

You will never wound him and he'll outnumber you and watch you crumble to crap.

Unkillable? Now thats vlad. You literally have to remove all of his wounds (twice!) in a single round to kill him. Hes got blood drinker and can be healed and the carstein ring.

Jack of Blades
01-02-2008, 19:28
Vlad wouldn't be able to attack him, assuming Pha's goes off. :p

Zoolander
01-02-2008, 22:28
He can be killed the minute he charges or is charged by a block unit or unit of knights and fails to kill 5+ models. Oops, mr vampire lord, you just took 1+ wounds to combat results. It is a cute trick, but once your opponent is on to that idea, expect a lot of conflag of doom spells and such.

Want a scarier vampire? Try this one:

Flying Horror (Flies)
Hunter in the Dark (Scouts)
+
Carstein Ring or Wristbands of Black Gold.

Hard to kill in CC, very hard to shoot at, and on turn one is charging units of yours.

Or this one:

Stick a BSB in a unit of blood knights and give them both drakenhof banner (regen) and flag of the blood keep (4+ ward save vs. shooting). Parry that with a natural 2+ AS and T4. That unit is relatively impossible to kill. If you kill a couple of knights before they run you down, they can be raised with magic the next turn. Now that's scary!

xragg
01-02-2008, 22:36
Vampire Count

Spectral Horror
Forbidden Lore; Lore of Light

Cast Pha's Illumination on yourself, and you can now count magic weapons used against you as mundane weapons of the same type. Combined with a strong magic phase, this means that the only way to kill you will be through magic missiles since you can't actually be harmed by anything in Close Combat and you can't be shot down by mundane missiles.

Alternatively, you can make a Vampire a Spectral Horror and put LOL on some other Vampire. This keeps your lord nice and beefy, but the Thrall doesn't lose that much out of it.

Then you can have fun with Cleansing Flare too. What do you guys think?

Would that cancel attacks that count as magical? For example, forest spirits' attacks count as magical, but arent magic weapons. I dont have the new vampire counts book to read the actual description of your ability.

PeG
01-02-2008, 22:56
Getting your general killed seem to be the problem for the new vampires. You can build a really expensive very nice Lord that can kill lots of things in CC but do you really want your general in CC when your entire army depends on him staying intact?
You can also build a nice mage with lots of power dice but without miscast protection there is a significant risk tha tyou blow both him and your army to pieces.
The last option is to pay for protection with res, ward save, good armour save etc but then you will have a very expensive character that will not earn his points back with the exeption of not dying.

EvC
01-02-2008, 23:15
Ok, it's veeb 14 posts, time to end this silliness. If the enemy is in a position to hurt a Vampire, that means he's probably got the charge that turn. In which case he'll be able to dispel Pha's Illumination in his own magic phase on a 5+. End of.

Disciple of Caliban
02-02-2008, 20:56
that will not earn his points back with the exeption of not dying.

But thats Ok, because if he doesnt die, then he doesnt give away any points either. That means surviving is just as good a way of securing victory points as killing someone

Dranthar
04-02-2008, 03:06
Ok, it's veeb 14 posts, time to end this silliness. If the enemy is in a position to hurt a Vampire, that means he's probably got the charge that turn. In which case he'll be able to dispel Pha's Illumination in his own magic phase on a 5+. End of.

Yes, that's the first thing I thought too. :rolleyes: It'd be good for laugh, but once everyone's wiped away the tears your opponent will wait until his turn, dispel it easily with 2-3 dice and smack him on the head with a Screaming Orc Warboss. :D

Speaking of which, has anyone thought of a good use for Spectral Horror? It takes up a good chunk of your vampires bloodlines allowance and it blocks access to your magic items, so an ethereal general won't have that much punch to him.

Stick it on a Hero-level vampire and...actually what's the point? I'd rather give him at least a sword of smack-down and risk his demise than to turn him into a pseudo-wraith (and funnily enough, you could take a unit of 3 actual wraiths for the same points).

Jack of Blades
04-02-2008, 11:26
There's no point, basically. If you could still take magic items it'd be useful but as it stands now it's just sub-par. It's mostly useless on a hero-level vampire (sure you can cast Bear's Anger on him with another Vampire, but hey... why not just take Red Fury or Infinite Hatred and Supernatural Terror/Walking Death instead?), even a BSB. That's because on a BSB, a character with a magic item will still be able to kill him rather easily, and he also grants a mere +1 to CR with no other bonus except the old usual negating to crumbling.

With that said, I just don't get why they restricted you to not taking any magic items. Even if it didn't, I probably wouldn't use it on hero-level Vampires as it's just kind of useless due to that you probably won't have your hero cut down or hurt by RnF anyway. And if that's the case, Avatar of Death offers a save against that. If it had been like 25 points, I could have seen some use in it.

So basically there's no really good use for Spectral Horror, but if you want a themed list, go ahead. I'd much rather have a unit of 6 Black Knights with Standard and Musician for ~42 points more though, since my list isn't Ethereal themed.