PDA

View Full Version : The Hellcannon and difficult terrain?

metro_gnome
28-09-2005, 18:31
ok... so somebody tried to convince me today that if the hellcannon was behind difficult terrain it could not rampage towards a unit... based on the fact that war machines cannot pass difficult terrain... i took them at their word...

but when i was reviewing the books at home i could not find the passage that says warmachines cannot pass through difficult terrain...

so im wondering if placing my units behind a difficult terrain piece could protect them from the rampage machine for a turn or so?

Avian
28-09-2005, 18:36
They are probably thinking of chariots, who cannot voluntarily enter difficult terrain.

metro_gnome
29-09-2005, 14:43
so it just moves at half rate then? interesting...

follow up...
if the hellcannon runs into another warmachine unit does it have to stop and destroy the actual machine before it moves on?
or is destroying the crew enough for it to move again?

Avian
29-09-2005, 15:10
If you get into contact with a machine with no crew you automatically destroy it in the close combat phase, but don't get to overrun.
In any case, you don't need to destroy the machine itself to move on.

(How do you propose that a Hellcannon might come into contact with another war machine anyway?)

T10
29-09-2005, 15:50
That bit about automatically destroying an undefended warmachine - could you clarify?

I distinctly remember that a warmachine "has a WS of 0 and is thus automatically hit in close combat" is stated in the warmachine section of the rulebook. But it still typically has T7 and W3.

-T10

metro_gnome
29-09-2005, 15:51
well it could rampage its way down the field.. (unlikely i admit)
or it could come into contact with one of your own machines...

unoffically i've been using the hellcannon with my chaos dwarf army...
and running in to my own machines has come up before...
but more importantly...
for development of a new CD list... how the hellcannon behaves is definitive...

yes it was the T7 that prompted my question... the hellcannon could spend a couple of turns trying to destroy it...
if it had to destroy it before it moves on... could be a major delay...

Avian
29-09-2005, 16:39
You want this article:
Rulebook errata (http://uk.games-workshop.com/download/download.htm?/chronicles/errata/assets/warhammer-rulebook.pdf)
It specifically replaces the paragraph T10 is referring to.

Inquisitor Maul
30-09-2005, 23:26
Hey, I've had a hellcannon rampage to the other side of the board ;)

He first chased down a bunch of White wolves when I rolled 12" on the rampage and then proceded to hunt down a poor spearmen regiment (that included an Electo Count and the battlestandard bearer) that kept fleeing from the huge monstrocity that stayed within inches of them, constantly spewing ichor ;)