PDA

View Full Version : Land Speeder Scout Transport

Wombats
01-02-2008, 23:53
There are rumours that either Planetfall or the upcoming rehash of the Space Marines Codex talked about by Jervis will include modified Landspeeders as transports for Space Marine Scouts.

As the proud owner of 40 assault scouts and 20 or so bolter / sniper scouts this is interets me greatly.

Particularly since I just picked up some cheeseballs nine (!) Landspeeders with Assault Cannons (no joke) and don't really want the social stigma of fielding them all as is.

Has anyone got any detail?

Are they likely to be Landspeeders with conversion kits?

What rules might they use? Do they have to deepstrike / deploy as reserves?

Any whiff of information would be fantastic, I am going nuts converting my Scouts right now and would love to be informed as to army composition.

warchild9
02-02-2008, 00:09
I think little birds the delta guys used in BLACK HAWK DOWN would be a good idea probably onl have a heavy bolter on it

RampagingRavener
02-02-2008, 00:16
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this was a 'rumour' for Codex: Space Marines Redux and ended up being quickly debunked as not true.

Lyonator
02-02-2008, 00:39
I've heard this rumor too, on variosu threads...
it's a good thing, since, as everyone knows, Marines need more new stuff.
:rolleyes:

AngryAngel
02-02-2008, 00:45
Marines do need more stuff, I agree.

hivefleetcarrion
02-02-2008, 00:49
this was in the rumor of a new medium tank for marines wasn't it?

i kinda hope this rumor is fake, i kinda dont want marines to have a skimmer transport

Super Ninja
02-02-2008, 00:55
I Do:)
Too bad, if this rumor is true, that the speeder transports only carry scouts, but it is a transport skimmer so I gues I cant complain.

Lyonator
02-02-2008, 01:02
the one upside to a scout only speeder transport...
it wouldn't benefit from that silly "Oh look, I'm open topped, but my crew is in power armor, so it doesn't count" BS that GW handed to marines as a prize for being their best sellers.
yay 4+ armor!

Grand Master Raziel
02-02-2008, 02:17
I seem to remember a conversion someone did, strictly for the modeling aspect, in which the modeler took a Land Speeder and basically did a stretch job on it, creating a passenger deck behind the cockpit that could accomodate a few Scouts. That might be the source of these scout transport rumors. Darned if I can remember where I saw it, though.

spacemonkey
02-02-2008, 02:36
There is already a thread on this here:
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124123

In which Andy Hoare doesn't confirm or deny whether or not they are considering such a unit but does say no such unit has been play tested as of yet:
http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2305870&postcount=143

Bregalad
02-02-2008, 08:46
Anyway, here is the link you are looking for:
http://fr.games-workshop.com/40k/space_marines/modelisme/landspeeder/index.asp (see Sirocco).

Grand Master Raziel
02-02-2008, 14:10
Yup, that was the one. The variants were fun, too. I wish you could slap HK-missiles on standard Land Speeders. That would make them a lot like helicopter gunships.

Templar Ben
02-02-2008, 14:29
They may need something since they pulled the Scout Bikes out of the 2008 catalog.

spacemonkey
02-02-2008, 15:36
Now that is interesting development, Templar Ben.

Grand Master Raziel
02-02-2008, 15:57
It could just mean that they're getting ready to replace the old Scout Bike models with new ones based on the ugly plastic Scouts. Or, maybe they're just being dropped because they hardly ever get used. SM players would still have Assault Squads, Bike Squadrons, Attack Bike Squadrons, and Land Speeder Squadrons in the Fast Attack category to choose from, so it's not like we're hurting for options there.

I don't believe that either a Scout-Speeder transport or a new medium tank are going to get added to Codex: Space Marines when it gets redone. The book isn't weak in either Fast Attack or Heavy Support. It seems to me that GW's additions to the vehicle line have usually been Forge World products first, and neither of those vehicles are currently being produced by FW. Plus, you'd think if they were in the pipeline, then they'd be in Codex: Dark Angels. If you wanted to infiltrate Scouts behind enemy lines, you'd think it would be safer to do so via drop pod than to land forces on the planet and fly them in past enemy positions, so it's not like a new vehicle needs to be added to the range to explain that. Plus, if the 5th ed rumors are true, any squad will be able to hop into any transport during a game, so there's no pressing need for a dedicated Scout transport, and also the balance issue of non-Scouts using it during the game.

I'm not saying it's impossible that the SM army will get these new vehicles, it just seems pretty unlikely to me. I'd be more inclined to believe that they might get added to the range if FW were already producing them. So, maybe they'll turn up as FW products, but I won't believe they're getting made as SM products until I see them posted on GW's website.

spacemonkey
02-02-2008, 16:02
Possibly, I guess only time will tell.

Thud
02-02-2008, 16:11
It would be a nice way to get more Marine players to use scouts for other purposes than Sniper squads and Teleport Homers, though.

AngryAngel
02-02-2008, 20:12
the one upside to a scout only speeder transport...
it wouldn't benefit from that silly "Oh look, I'm open topped, but my crew is in power armor, so it doesn't count" BS that GW handed to marines as a prize for being their best sellers.
yay 4+ armor!

I doubt it would be an open topped transport. No one would want to see a 12 inch movement, open topped skimmer transport for marines. Could you imagine the implications of this ?

It would make close combat scouts, or new shot gun wielding scouts, as not only a viable option..but a somewhat scary one. As they'd be near promised to make it into range unscathed with proper use of terrain and other screening vehicles.

While it sounds good, and it might be very cool, it definatly wouldn't be open topped if it will be made at all.

Though if I had to pick an area in which there are some weaknesses in the marine codex. I'd say for me its heavy and to a smaller extent elite.

In elites point being really the good choice is Terms. Though the company vet squads in codex DA are very good too. Scouts got placed there I believe to give some variety to that slot in the list. It is then possible they would be used there to promote perhaps list deviation from the seen norms.

Or perhaps something to take with fast if they are really planning on removing scouts from troops as well as the scout bikes.

This is all just tossing things up there. Though I am sure the marine haters would have no end of anger over it.