PDA

View Full Version : Your World War 1 or 2 recommendations please

RavenMorpheus
02-02-2008, 10:43
Ok so I'm getting bored with the MoH series and CoD/CoD 2, & DoW DC, and Oblivion...

I'm a WW1/WW2 nut, well I'm nuts anyway but that's another story :D, so can anyone recommend some WW1 or WW2 PC games, not necessarily FPS's, anything will do as long as it's good, but I particularly like RTS's and FPS's but I'm trying to get away from FPS's as I've played the best afaik (the MoH series and the CoD series).

I've tried Brothers in Arms Road to Hill 30 and that's just as boring as MoH is to me now, I've also tried and disliked Sniper Elite and Silent Hunter 3.

And I'm already looking into the commandos series of games.

EDIT: Point to note for those recommending Company of Heroes - I already have it and CoH OF (Company of Heroes Opposing Fronts) but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

So down to the specs -

I'm running an Acer Aspire 9302 with 3gb of RAM (technically 4gb but only 3gb is being recognised).

My OS is Vista Ultimate 32bit (hence only 3gb RAM being recognised).

My GPU (video card) is an Nvidia Geforce Go 6100.

I'm finding that I can run games from pre-2006 but not much after that works (well not at any decent level anyway) not a problem though as I know there are loads of games out there, I just don't know which ones - oddly enough CoH and CoH OF just about run...

So any WW1/WW2 PC game recommendations would be appreciated as I work the night shift (usually) on an IT helpdesk for 12hrs a day (night) and I have a lot of time to kill.

Blagrot Squigbreff
02-02-2008, 11:11
I really enjoyed the combat mission series when I actually had enough time to play them properly, they are pretty realistic and even the shortest scenario is good for about 90 minutes. They aren't quite turn-based or RTS, you give all the orders you want and they play out in 1 minute sections where you can't change anything before you can give fresh orders if needed. The AI is excellent especially when responding to the orders although the soldiers first instinct is to dive for cover.:p

There's alot of good fan-made maps, scenarios and campaigns as the editor is very good and not too tricky to use. It feels like the old tabletop wargames I've played, there is a stupid amount of detail in how it calculates things but you don't need to know most of it. It even has a system for how temperature effects the shots:eek:.

You might also like 'Soldiers - heroes of WW2', it's pretty similar to Commandos with a few more units in your side, I found it harder than the commandos games but again it was fun.

Gen.Steiner
02-02-2008, 12:09
Close Combat: Cross of Iron from Matrix Games.
Hearts of Iron II.

Those'll keep you going! :D

sigur
02-02-2008, 12:28
RTS:
Well, there's Sudden Strike which I loved. It's a very good game with the add-on and a proper mod (Real Warfare Mod is the mod of my choice). None of that polygon graphics nonsense, only Pixels. That allows some amazing battles. Sudden Strike 2 was an immense letdown. It actually was a downgraded version of SuSt1 with some useless features but the community managed to turn it into a very decent game (=SuSt1 with new features that make sense). Don't know about the recently-released SuSt3, didn't bother with it.

Hearts of Iron - grand-scale RTS. Very good. You take the role of any nation in the world and have manymany ways to act during the war. Don't know about HoI2, haven't played it much.

Blitzkrieg was alright but a little weird. Neat graphics but I still prefer SuSt.

Commandos - Small-scale tactical game of commando missions. You control four soldiers IIRC, each one with his own abilities (you have a driver, a sniper, a green beret, and so on). Tactically challenging game. You actually need to work out plans and good timing to get through the missions.

Company of Heros - Haven't played it but it's said to be a great game.

Codename: Panzers - The graphics looked nice back then and it was kinda hyped but I was disappointed. Way too arcade-style.

Simulation:

Panzer Elite still is the greatest tank simulation to me. Unfortunately, I can't get it to run properly on my new PC.

I'm not sure but I think IL-2 Forgotten Battles still is the reference title in WW2 airplane simulation.

Silent Hunter 4 is what you have to look for when you're into submarine simulations.

FPS:
There have been tons of WW2-themed FPS games in the past years. I guess people opt for the Call of Duty games. Personally, I still haven't played any of those yet.

Day of Defeat(HL1 mod) - I used to love it, then it went retail and got dulled-down a great deal. It still is a very solid, very good-looking game.

Red Orchestra (multiplayer shooter) - Very good game. If you were as disappointed from BF1942 as I was, this is the game you think BF1942 should have been. I think you can't get any closer to a WW2 infantry simulation (along with a few twists to turn it into a game of course). The graphics are nice too. The learning curve is quite steep but that usually is a sign of a good game, isn't it?

Hidden&Dangerous is a favorite of mine. It's a little bit more arcade-y and especially the first one seems to be quite much inspired by war movies of the 60ies and 70ies. It's basically a team-based tactical shooter (you control four SAS soldiers, each one with different stats in shooting, sneaking, strength, etc., which you choose from a long list of soldiers before each of the campaigns (5 in the game, two or three more with the add-on IIRC, each set in different campaigns set in different areas of Europe). The soldiers have their own inventorys and all. There's a solid number of vehicles you can hijack and drive around and stuff. The missions are quite different and very atmospheric.

Hidden and Dangerous 2 is basically the same but with much better graphics. Some say that it lacks something but it's still a great game nonetheless. This time, you also fight missions in the pacific theater. The number of vehicles your soldiers can hijack is even greater than in the first game.

Well, this is a list of pretty old games but some of them really are worth the time and they are quite cheap now (if you can still get them at all) so give it a shot.;)

Freak Ona Leash
02-02-2008, 13:47
Company of Heroes and World War II Online.

All you need.

bdo
02-02-2008, 14:27
if you like turn based games i can recommend silent storm. it is a little older but looks nice. the story is not 100% accurate (the germans inventing lots of weird stuff... but not too much of it). you control a squad of up to 6 (i think) men, all with different skill trees and weapons. there is a xp system, too - makes a lot of fun.

and you can destroy nearly everything around... itīs great fun to boobytrap all windows and doors of a house with explosives, then throw a grenade.

this game has kept me in front of the screen for a while...

WLBjork
02-02-2008, 14:52
TBS:

WW2 - many of SSI's games: Panzer General, Pacific General, Panzer General 2, Panzer General 3D and Panzer General 3.

Also, try Matrix Games' website (http://www.matrixgames.com/) - they have a good number of WW2 TBS games. Steel Panthers World at War is freeware and has a wide range of options, from platoon level up to battalion (and possibly beyond).

I think WW1 is more limited. I don't think there have been many games recently. Try any game with "Red Baron" in it for a flight sim.

The old game "Wings" was being worked on by Cinemaware for re-release, not sure what happened to that.

Historyline was a Battle Isles style game based on WW1.

That's all I can think of offhand.

Zink
02-02-2008, 15:13
I have panzer elite. That was a dam cool tank simulator but as the germans in Africa there was one mission I couldn't get past. It sort of works on my current computer but things are sped up. Hard to play at 1.5-2 times normal speed.

Hearts of Iron II is my all time favourite RTS. It's not big on graphics but the game play and strategy is pretty good. I liked Europa Unversalis from this company too but it's early time period.

I have some of the combat mission games and while interesting I just couldn't get into them. Something seriously wrong with how I'm playing. I give orders and watch my units die before they get anywhere.

For turn based startegy games Talonsoft has a decent series. East Front II, West Front and Rising sun. They're older but I still play occasionally.

Neknoh
02-02-2008, 15:14
I can do nothing but second Red Orchestra, it's worth it ten times arround, and by god, the realism in it is nothing short of wonderful. It's one of those games where, if you are sneaking up on a tank and someone close to it sees you, you go "Holy crap!" and run like hell, trying to hide in tall grass or a panicked rush into a building before that turret on the tank has had the time to turn arround and shoot you.
Trust me, the minute bullts start to zoom past you, it'll get your heart racing

BigWeirdCreature
02-02-2008, 17:57
Company of Heros is a fantastic RTS and I highly recommend it, an extremely fun game.

Outlaw289
02-02-2008, 18:49
Hearts of Iron II.

I have to second this

These are top-down, platoon level strategy games where every single soldier's morale, ammo, health etc. is measured, and real world tactics are needed. It's one of the best WW2 series out there. Its technically an RTS, but it's really a game of tactics. They're cheap too, and there is a modern version available

kortholaxthedamned
02-02-2008, 19:28
I'll second (third?) Company of Heroes.

Bretonnian Lord
02-02-2008, 20:33
Axis and Allies (The computer game) by Atari is really good. You get regiments of units instead of individual soldiers that gain experience in combat, etc... and it has an interesting approach to the RTS genre...

Commandos is a highly tactical series of games, it's a lot of fun, in-depth, and immersive, although sometimes you'll be bashing your head into the computer through sheer frustration. :)

Gen.Steiner
02-02-2008, 21:05
IThese are top-down, platoon level strategy games where every single soldier's morale, ammo, health etc. is measured, and real world tactics are needed. It's one of the best WW2 series out there. Its technically an RTS, but it's really a game of tactics. They're cheap too, and there is a modern version available

Well, that's Close Combat: Cross of Iron.

Hearts of Iron II is grand strategy, taking you from 1936 to 1947. You can literally be any country in the world, including, hilariously, the Free Texan Republic (if the US is conquered or has a civil war). Fancy invading Germany in 1937 with the Polish Army? You can! Resist the Anschluss? You can!

Totally crush the entire planet beneath the boot of Bolshevism? Yep, you can do that too. :D

RavenMorpheus
02-02-2008, 21:38
I'll second (third?) Company of Heroes.

I'll fourth Company of Heroes as I have it already, and CoH OF.

Thanks for the advice guys, keep the suggestions coming, Hearts of Iron II sounds good I might have a look at that, some links to demos would be handy as well. :)

Wolflord Havoc
02-02-2008, 23:06
Hearts of Iron II.

Indeed while the Close Combat series of games might seem a bit dated by todays standard they were some of the best RTS games I ever played on a PC...and OMG...going head to head with someone in campaign mode was amazing. If you can get hold of the older games (IMO CC 2:Market Garden was the best) do so.

Hearts of Iron II allows the player to try different stratagies and what ifs.

So far I have managed to keep Germany out of the war :wtf: invade with Russia in 1940 and smash the Germans. And of course start Britain Re-Arming in 1936 rather than late 38.

I do not know of any recent WW1 games.

Zink
02-02-2008, 23:57
Check out
http://www.paradoxplaza.com/
You should be able to find Hearts of Iron and some other good games there.

swordwind
03-02-2008, 01:38
Noob question but how do you change the country you play as in HoI2? I can only ever choose from the Allies or Axis, but want to play as Spain (cunning plans you see).

Bloodknight
03-02-2008, 01:48
I second Steel Panthers: World at War. It's free, has really complex mathematical and realistic rules. I don't know if it's just me but I need hours for each scenario because I hate to lose my guys - and you have to be damn cautious. I prefer early war Germany, because the French have better stuff and you have to outplay them.

It's turn based, though - so you might not like it.

WLBjork
03-02-2008, 09:03
Dunno if you've checked the forums for Steel Panthers lately Bloodknight, but there should be a new update this year, correcting some of the problems with a few units.

I'd love to do a 40K mod of this game, but I fear it would take too long.

Gen.Steiner
03-02-2008, 09:56
Noob question but how do you change the country you play as in HoI2? I can only ever choose from the Allies or Axis, but want to play as Spain (cunning plans you see).

When you pick your start date, e.g. 1936, there's a series of flags at the top of the screen.

Either right-click or left-click on any flag, and a list will drop-down of all the playable countries.

Be aware that Spain will have to fight a civil war starting in 1936. :)

Kiro
03-02-2008, 11:10
I've tried Brothers in Arms Road to Hill 30 and that's just as boring as MoH is to me now

Sir, I was going to write on this thread heartily recommending the Brothers In Arms games to you. I shall have to pretend you have not made this colossal error in judgement whilst proceeding to recommend them anyway...

*ahem*

If you're after WWII shooters you seriously need to give the Brothers In Arms series a go. It gets two thumbs up for me, easily the best WWII shooter out there.
The Medal Of Honor series is simply a generic shooter with a WWII setting, the early Call of Duty games are....Medal of Honor with 'the other' participants of WWII (yawn), and a facelift.
Brothers in Arms offers suppression fire, squad control, realistic damage levels, is easy on the eye, and a good multiplayer mode.

:D

Dooppie
03-02-2008, 12:22
Forgotten hope 2 is a great game.
This is a mod of the game: Battefield2.
It's a cheap game too buy :D

RavenMorpheus
03-02-2008, 19:01
Sir, I was going to write on this thread heartily recommending the Brothers In Arms games to you. I shall have to pretend you have not made this colossal error in judgement whilst proceeding to recommend them anyway...

*ahem*

If you're after WWII shooters you seriously need to give the Brothers In Arms series a go. It gets two thumbs up for me, easily the best WWII shooter out there.
The Medal Of Honor series is simply a generic shooter with a WWII setting, the early Call of Duty games are....Medal of Honor with 'the other' participants of WWII (yawn), and a facelift.
Brothers in Arms offers suppression fire, squad control, realistic damage levels, is easy on the eye, and a good multiplayer mode.

:D

Ok recommendation noted. I think though that I've got to saturation point with FPS's in general and need a change. I'm trying to find an IL-2 Sturmovik or later versions of it (Forgotten heroes/1946) demo. I've downloaded a number of the IL-2 original game demos but they won't even install, I click on the setup.exe and nothing happens.

I've got a demo now of Commandos 3, that's pretty good, I had Commandos 2 on the PS2 and I'd forgotten how good it was so I'm going to invest in getting the Commandos complete collection.

Thanks again for all the suggestions :)

Neknoh
03-02-2008, 21:09
If you are looking for something new in FPS games, I can do nothing but stress my earlier agreeance on Red Orchestra, that game will show you what a great game a realistic shooter can be.

Kiro
04-02-2008, 03:16
Oooooh, if you're after flight sims/dogfighting give Blazing Angels a go. I only had it for the Xbox, so I can't comment on the pc version - that and about the last WWII flight sim I played on the pc was Jane's :D
Although quite arcadey, the gameplay and graphics aren't too shabby.

RavenMorpheus
04-02-2008, 03:44
Yep trying to find a demo of Blazing Angels now. I would try for BA 2 but System Requirements lab says no. What I'm finding with a lot of games is they don't make a demo available, especially things like IL2 Sturmovik - there is one of the original game but that won't work on my PC for some unknown reason and there are no demos afaik of the later versions.

Still I'm waiting on the Commandos series arriving in the post so I can look forward to that.

Keep the suggestions coming though :)

Kiro
04-02-2008, 04:01
Blazing Angels 2....Hmmm, I don't know, I tried the demo on the 360, and frankly it was crap :s

StugMeister
04-02-2008, 09:05
I thoroughly recommend the Combat Mission Series!

swordwind
04-02-2008, 18:38
If you are looking for something new in FPS games, I can do nothing but stress my earlier agreeance on Red Orchestra, that game will show you what a great game a realistic shooter can be.

+10.

You can almost feel the ground shake as tanks rumble past and you physically duck when you hear a bullet snap past your characters head.

RavenMorpheus
04-02-2008, 18:52
Ok I'll see if I can find a demo of Red Orchestra, I read a bit about it on Gamespot and it seemed as though it was an online game more than anything and I'm not really looking for online games.

But thanks for the suggestions anyway.

More suggestions please :)

salty
04-02-2008, 19:29
I am also going to have to suggest Hearts of Iron II. All of the Paradox Games are excellent (except perhaps Two Thrones and Crusader Kings) but HoI2 is one of the best of the best.

With regards to fighting the Spanish Civil War, it always seems very bloody difficult to win with the Republicans too.

Salty :)

Odin
04-02-2008, 20:44
The most important thing is, never, ever, ever consider buying Hour of Victory. It is the shoddiest, most ****-poor game that's ever been knocked up in half an hour by a company looking to make a quick buck.

Gen.Steiner
04-02-2008, 21:04
With regards to fighting the Spanish Civil War, it always seems very bloody difficult to win with the Republicans too.

It really shouldn't be: just keep your entire army in Madrid, thus ensuring they stay loyal! :p

Outlaw289
04-02-2008, 23:50
Hearts of Iron II is grand strategy, taking you from 1936 to 1947. You can literally be any country in the world, including, hilariously, the Free Texan Republic (if the US is conquered or has a civil war). Fancy invading Germany in 1937 with the Polish Army? You can! Resist the Anschluss? You can!

Totally crush the entire planet beneath the boot of Bolshevism? Yep, you can do that too. :D

IS THIS GAME STILL AVAILABLE? :eek:

RavenMorpheus
04-02-2008, 23:50
The most important thing is, never, ever, ever consider buying Hour of Victory. It is the shoddiest, most ****-poor game that's ever been knocked up in half an hour by a company looking to make a quick buck.

Note to self don't buy Hour of Victory.

Ok so I've dl'd a demo of Blazing Angels and it's quite good, apart from the fact that the controls are a bit unresponsive but that's probably more to do with the fact my wireless mouse probably needs a new set of batteries - I might see if I can use my Xbox 360 controller with it, seeing as the demo hasn't been re-written to take into account it's not on a console :wtf:

I have to run it in low spec at 1024x768 res but it looks ok. That'll keep me amused for a while and I've got Commandos 3 as well now which if it's anything like Commandos 2 on the PS2 will be pretty good as well.

Thanks for the suggestions though guys, if anyone has any more feel free to chime in - me gaming monster, need more :D

sigur
05-02-2008, 00:00
IS THIS GAME STILL AVAILABLE? :eek:

Don't act so surprised, it was released in 2005.:rolleyes:

Kiro
05-02-2008, 06:19
Glad to see you like Blazing Angels. I didn't know there would be porting problems though, so I suggest you just get it for the 360.

Outlaw289
05-02-2008, 11:28
Don't act so surprised, it was released in 2005.:rolleyes:

What's the :rolleyes: for? It's just that you don't see games like this anymore. I have a crapload of wargames (mostly talonsoft ones) but they're all from like 1996-98. From the description HoI 2 sounded like an older game that would be hard to find

salty
05-02-2008, 14:07
What's the :rolleyes: for? It's just that you don't see games like this anymore. I have a crapload of wargames (mostly talonsoft ones) but they're all from like 1996-98. From the description HoI 2 sounded like an older game that would be hard to find

Nope, it's very much available. It is, as mentioned, based on the Europa Universalis engine, though it is a wholly different creature to EU.

As to keeping all your armies in Madrid, ridiculously I hadn't even thought of that :D. Though the troops in the Canary Islands and West Africa would still prove problematic methinks.

Gen.Steiner
05-02-2008, 14:31
Though the troops in the Canary Islands and West Africa would still prove problematic methinks.

That's... what your transport fleet is for... :p

salty
05-02-2008, 17:31
That's... what your transport fleet is for... :p

Having just nipped on HoI2: Doomsday (to check things out as I don't play it that often any more) I realise that I have confused myself. The complications I was thinking of are actually during the Carlist wars on another Paradox game, Victoria. I had the almost-instantaneous revolts and poor army that Spain has in 1836 confused with the impending Civil War in 1936 :p

John Wayne II
05-02-2008, 17:42
World War II Online.

What's that like? I've heard some fairly mixed things about it.

Frep
05-02-2008, 18:23
My votes are Company of Heroes (amazing graphics), Close Combat 3 ,The Russian Front, (older game but really, really fun and addicting it's my favorite platoon based game) and the original Red Baron (it's addictive, fun and free to download)

RavenMorpheus
06-02-2008, 14:34
Ok thanks for the suggestions everyone, I have Company of Heroes already and it's expansion CoH OF, I'm looking at finding a demo of one of the close combat games seeing that has been recommended a few times.

Hearts of Iron 2 isn't really my sort of game, I prefer RTS's like DoW/Company of Heroes rather than PC versions of a Risk type of game but thanks for all the recommendations of that anyway.

I just got IL 2 and I would be impressed if I could fly using the mouse as I don't have a joystick and don't really want to cart one around with me seeing as I would have to do so in order to play it at the office, but it's a good game, just the controls are a bit erm rubbish imo. I'm going with Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWII for my flight sim fix, assuming my 360 pad works on it which I'm about to try out.

Thanks again for all the suggestions :)

sigur
07-02-2008, 07:58
The thing is that IL-2 actually could count as flight simulation while the xbox game is an action/shooter game.

RavenMorpheus
07-02-2008, 16:03
The thing is that IL-2 actually could count as flight simulation while the xbox game is an action/shooter game.

Yeah but Blazing Angels is a bit more accessible, IL-2 requires me to sit down, work out :wtf: the controls are, and then work out what I'm supposed to be doing, it isn't really polished or as user friendly as it could be and all in all I'm quite let down by it.

Blazing Angels I can just connect my pad up to my laptop, load the game and go - which is kind of what I'm looking for as far as shooters/flying games are concerned. If I wanted an in-depth game that takes me an hour or two to work out what I'm doing I'd go for another RTS...

On the upside IL-2 does support my 360 gamepad, well apart from the analog trigger, but it does work, after a fashion...