PDA

View Full Version : Problems with half life 2 and steam

Mucusaur
17-04-2005, 12:10
Hello all! its good to be back here! I see a lot of the old gaurd are still around. Nice to see!

Anyways, my problem. I have just bought HL2 and I am trying to update it so that I can play offline - but the progress bar does not show and it says I have 1701 minutes more to wait..... I cant play in offline mode until i download all of this, but it seems FUBAR'd beyond all hope. Anyone got advice, or a similar tale to tell? What is the purpose of this Steam thing anyway? To turn disgruntled customers into pirates? S'all very frustrating.

Firebreath
17-04-2005, 12:44
Steam is THE one reason I'll never buy HL2.
You need a net connection to be actually able to play the game? WTF is up with that.
Plus, I hear/read nothing but horror stories about it, including yours.
It's supposed to be a anti-piracy thingy, but like most of these schemes it completely sucks and annoys everybody EXCEPT the software pirates.

Rabid Bunny 666
17-04-2005, 13:13
HL2 needs a connection, just get CS and Pwn juu n00bi35!!!!!111!!!!!!one@

Brimstone
17-04-2005, 13:24
Well the latest issue of UK PC Gamer DVD has a update pack for bringing HL2 up to date so you might want to try that (if you're in the UK I can't remember if you are or not).

I've never had a problem with Steam although I don't think it was that good an idea.

Cypher
17-04-2005, 14:56
Steam is a royal pain no question. The idea is good, but it's just been so poorly implemented as to be a joke.

On the other hand, HL2 is one of the best games ever, so there had to be a catch. It'll be worth it in the end.

Mucusaur
17-04-2005, 15:59
This thing is just busting my balls.....

It also keeps telling me that "the steam servers are too busy. Try again later"

It appears that I have a shiny disc worth Ä40 which does nothing.

Cheesejoff
17-04-2005, 15:59
Peraonally I don't have any problems with Steam. It says on the box "Internet connection required" and that's only to get it registered, after that you can play offline.

Btw I'm assuming you have broadband? If you have 56k you'll be there for a while. oh, or get the update in PCGamer.

Sgt John Keel
17-04-2005, 16:14
It's supposed to be a anti-piracy thingy, but like most of these schemes it completely sucks and annoys everybody EXCEPT the software pirates.

From what I have heard, Valve developed Steam so that they could circumvent the distribution network and take all the money for themselves.
But naturally, that purpose is defeated if people buy the products from stores and not from the Steam network itself.

/Adrian

Mucusaur
17-04-2005, 17:45
I have dial up. Also, the "amount downloaded" has been at 75% all day. Whats the point,i dont need this hassle - i might as well spend my time getting a refund instead of running up a huge internet bill.

Brimstone
17-04-2005, 19:33
I have dial up. Also, the "amount downloaded" has been at 75% all day. Whats the point,i dont need this hassle - i might as well spend my time getting a refund instead of running up a huge internet bill.

They really should have said broadband internet connection required, with dial up you pretty much screwed I'm afraid.

f2k
17-04-2005, 19:34
As far as I know, the problem is that the steam servers are woefully underpowered to handle all the traffic.

When I played the demo, it took nearly an hour to download, decrypt and verify the remaining data.
Hang in there, it will get there eventually.

What the *bib* was Valve thinking when they designed this *biiiib* system? Iíve heard nothing but complain about it.

And it doesnít even prevent piracy. The game is readily available to those who know where to look.

I love HL1 and was going to get HL2 on launch day. Thankfully, I didnít have the money to buy it at full price. I might buy it some day Ė but not before I find it in a bargain bin @ less than 10£. And Iím not even sure that itís worth that much.

Well, hereís to hoping that Aftermath will not use this FUBAR systemÖ

Yeah, right! Like thatís going to happenÖ