PDA

View Full Version : 2k Orcs, Just getting back into it

Pelskwig
02-02-2008, 23:49
After a fair bit of time away from playing games, I'm getting my orc army up and running again. With a few additions and removals I've come up with this army. I'm generally a "fluff" player, and like a fairly all round characterfulish army rather than going for mega hard units and characters...so er..yeah..any suggestions/comments, fire away.

Black Orc Warboss - Iron Gnashas, Shield, Hvy armour

Orc Big Boss - BSB, Mork Spirit Totem, Lt armour

Orc Shaman - Lvl 2, Waagh Paint, Dispel scroll

Gobbo Shaman - Lvl 2, Itty Ring, Dispel scroll

25 Orc Boys - Full Command, Shield

20 Big Uns - Full Command, Shield, Spear, Noggs Banner

20 Black Orcs - Full Command, Shield

12 Wolf Boys - Musician, Bows

35 Goblins - Full Command, Shield, Spear

Rock Lobber - Bully

4 Trolls

Felworth
03-02-2008, 05:17
Black Orc Warboss - Iron Gnashas, Shield, Hvy armour

Not a bad choice for a boss. Provides decent leadership and with additional choppa/great weapon/killing blow he can put the hurt on lesser heroes and the like. A bit concerned about his 4+ or 3+ armor save though. May be worth investing in a boar mount for the increased save or perhaps a protective talisman.

Orc Big Boss - BSB, Mork Spirit Totem, Lt armour

For 15 points more you can have a bsb equipped with an additional choppa, great weapon and heavy armor. It'll make him a bit safer and he'll be able to add to his units combat rez in bloodshed.

Orc Shaman - Lvl 2, Waagh Paint, Dispel scroll

Gobbo Shaman - Lvl 2, Itty Ring, Dispel scroll

At this point you have seven dispel dice and two dispel scrolls. Thats a lot of anti-magic. Plan on facing any SAD armies soon?

Anyway, with Waaagh Paint you sortah need to get your naked (READ: defenseless) shaman in base to base with enemies armed with sharp things that want to do him grevious harm. This is rarely a good thing, but if you plan on doing this try to keep him on a unit edge with a Orc hero or Orc unit champ beside him for bodyguard duty.

25 Orc Boys - Full Command, Shield

Ah, the heart of any "propa" warband. I perfer units of 29 to soak up incoming bullets/fireballs/errant fanatics but I don't think these guys need to worry about that...

20 Big Uns - Full Command, Shield, Spear, Noggs Banner

Very expensive unit thats sortah schizophrenic. If they charge only five guys can fight at strength 4 which choppa boyz can already do. Or if they get charged only about five or six guys will be able to fight at strength 4 as anything that goes toe to tow with Big'uns should be able to wipe out a rank without too much trouble. Big'uns are just as easy to knock down as runtier Orcs. I see where Noggs could be used to counter this though and double the attacks of survivors or boost a charge. Expensive but worth a try.

20 Black Orcs - Full Command, Shield

Hmm, with an equally sized but far more easily killed Big'un unit nearby these guys may be able to sneak by the enemies artillery... heh, I'm kidding. Other players enjoy skewering Blorcs because they know they're expensive and it makes OnG players cry.

12 Wolf Boys - Musician, Bows

Curious number. Only half will ever be able to shoot their wimpy strength 3 shots at any given time and it only takes three casualties to panic the entire mob. Best to break the wolf pack into two groups. Better to protect the flanks and divide enemy fire power between two groups as opposed to merely blowing away a larger pack.

35 Goblins - Full Command, Shield, Spear

Personally, I'm pro Night Gobbos as people fear those... fanatics and nets can do wonders to the enemy's imagination even if they fail to do so on the table top. Anywho, at 4 points a pop these guys are only vaguely cheaper then Orcs and not nearly as capable. Keep the sword/shield combo for better save atleast as a handful of additional WS2 S3 attacks will not gain as much comat rez as a 5+ save on wimpy gobbos without nets will lose.

Rock Lobber - Bully

Looks lonely. Add some Spear Chukkas or another Lobba so as to increase the chances a warmachine may actually hit the enemy.

4 Trolls

Flanking unit I'm guessing?

Could tone them down to three and still retain combat effectiveness, not to mention make them a bit easier to move around the field. Obviously these guys need to stick close the Warboss of they'll be stumbling about after shiney objects which catch their attention... like the sun or something...

Overall your fighty units are excellent but without flanking and artillery support you stand a good chance of getting shot apart before making it into close.

Fredmans
03-02-2008, 10:32
Personally, I'm pro Night Gobbos as people fear those... fanatics and nets can do wonders to the enemy's imagination even if they fail to do so on the table top. Anywho, at 4 points a pop these guys are only vaguely cheaper then Orcs and not nearly as capable. Keep the sword/shield combo for better save atleast as a handful of additional WS2 S3 attacks will not gain as much comat rez as a 5+ save on wimpy gobbos without nets will lose.

With spear and shield the gobbos are actually 5 pts/head. That is way too much for what you get. I guess that is the equipment of your models, and if so... just do not expect too much of them. I think the 4pts goblin (hw/shield) is ok, but 5pts-gobbos cost as much as orcs and fare a lot worse on the battle field. If you intend to field them, take them down to 28 (keeping them seven wide), or 24 (six wide). That'd save you 35-55 pts. Get rid of the champion as well and you can almost afford another goblin unit. I find goblins more effective as adding to the total number of units in your army rather than how they actually perform in combat. Keeping them cheap and expendable makes it easier to sacrifice them.

/Fredmans

Jack of Blades
03-02-2008, 10:40
Huh? goblins with spear & shield cost as much as orcs... who wrote the army book :S

Pelskwig
03-02-2008, 13:04
Thanks guys. It's always useful to have someone else look at it from another point of view that I may have missed. I'll put a few bits in place.

I was considering making the Wolf boys two units of 6 actually, and the fact that someone else suggested it seems a good idea now.

I'll drop the 50 points Morks Waagh banner, tool up the BSB guy a bit, give my shaman and Warboss some protections, split the Wolves into two, drop a troll and maybe add another Rock lobber in.

I have a soft spot for Rock lobbers over bolt throwers, I think I like the idea of someone becoming 2 dimensional and floating off like a leaf, just like in the cartoons :-)

Felworth
03-02-2008, 13:52
them.
/Fredmans

Is it five a pop? Ye gods, thats miserable.

Huh? goblins with spear & shield cost as much as orcs... who wrote the army book :S

Matt Ward. Terribly nice fellow so I'm told but not a freind to Goblins so it seems. Maybe Grom the Paunch burned down his home back in 2423?