PDA

View Full Version : map of earth in the 41st millenium

angels of awesome
03-02-2008, 06:23
has anyone seen a map of earth in the 41st millenium?

LoneSniperSG
03-02-2008, 06:26
City. All city, with vague outlines of the continents. I have a picture from the PS2 game Fire Warrior.. (atleast I think that's where it's from..)

angels of awesome
03-02-2008, 06:35
can you stil seethe shape of the continents or has it all been changed?

LoneSniperSG
03-02-2008, 06:46
It's said in one of the Space Wolves books as Ragnar is looking out at Terra that he could make out the outlines of the ancient continents. I forget the name of the book..

xibo
03-02-2008, 10:25
The continents could look diffenerent though, considering horus' bombardments...

Frecus
03-02-2008, 10:45
Isn't terra a fortress world currently?

Ie, the entire planet is covered in fortified buildins, standing on top of bunkers on top of deep bunkers with deeper bunkers under those with bombing shelters under those?

Except for the oceans ofcourse, those only have bunkers under the seabed.

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

angels of awesome
03-02-2008, 11:08
cool. how badly was terra bombed?

Luthien
03-02-2008, 11:25
Badly enough for the seas to evaporate because of the bombing

angels of awesome
03-02-2008, 11:32
hmm thats bad!! i wouldnt emagin there would be much left after that

Gen.Steiner
03-02-2008, 12:20
There wasn't, but it's been rebuilt in the following 10,000 years. ;)

PaRaSiTe_X92
03-02-2008, 12:26
According to the Horus Heresy books there are no seas or oceans on Terra, in the 31st (?) millennium. I doubt they've come back too.

A pic would be cool though. Anyone?

Norminator
03-02-2008, 13:02
Terra has miles deep cities. Underneath the collosal surface buildings (virtually a planet wide hive) there are levels of buried cities which have been built upon, going miles upon miles down, getting older the further you go. These are quite lawless and populated by the more menial workers (the lowly scribes and such, rather than the Navigators who own buildings on the surface). In Wolfblade they mentioned that something like 1 square metre of Terran surface space costs the same as a planet on the outer edge of the Imperium might.

malika
03-02-2008, 13:26
Even without the seas you would be able to make up the shapes of the continents, unless they have altered the shapes of the continents and such.

javgoro
03-02-2008, 13:44
It's said in one of the Space Wolves books as Ragnar is looking out at Terra that he could make out the outlines of the ancient continents. I forget the name of the book..

Wolfblade is the one youīre thinking of.

pookie
03-02-2008, 14:04
the only map iirc that gw has even produced of Terra is what you see on the HH board game.

LordXaras
03-02-2008, 14:23
In the 3rd edition rulebook there was a picture of Terra in the galaxy map. That one looked just like the earth does today, with continents and seas.

Killgore
03-02-2008, 15:09
page 102 of the 3rd ed 40k rulebook has the picture of ancient terra

its a black and white pic, but its well described in 40k lore that the earth's continents shifted and split, with mountain ranges forming and falling and the seas boiled when Horus bombarded the planet

so i guess the continents would be vaguely reconisable but the local geography would be totaly changed.

Norminator
03-02-2008, 15:11
The Himalayas still exist - it's where the Astronomican is broadcast from. And Antartica is, I believe, the location of the Inquisitorial fortress.

BlackLegion
03-02-2008, 16:02
Look at Coruscant from Star Wars.
Earth would look similar.

Gen.Steiner
03-02-2008, 16:06
Look at Coruscant from Star Wars.
Earth would look similar.

Except with better defences. :p

Shibboleth
03-02-2008, 18:55
...Ie, the entire planet is covered in fortified buildins, standing on top of bunkers on top of deep bunkers with deeper bunkers under those with bombing shelters under those?...
Yes fortified, but not so much bunkers as admin and archiving, etc. aside from the Emperor's Palace, which is the size of/in place of Europe.

PondaNagura
03-02-2008, 19:56
i remember reading that most of the oceans have been boiled away, but also some tidbit from either a novel or an older book, that some of the remaining water was locked away under pavement/layers of concrete...subterranean oceans.

The_Dragon_Rising
03-02-2008, 20:00
Except with better defences. :p

....Really?? Do they have the tech in 40K to have dual layers of interlapping shields covering the whole planet, not to mention the individual section shields, computer centers hard enough to survive a deathstar direct hit, and of course the uncounted number of weapons. Just curious

....move aside SW nerd coming though ;)

Gen.Steiner
03-02-2008, 20:01
Water locked underneath layers of ferrocrete and buildings? That doesn't surprise me. Good grief! Idea hits!

Necromunda: Terra! :D

EDIT:

To the SW nerd: It's the Imperial Palace. Yep to all of those. :) Besides, while the Imperial Navy (SW) pwns the Imperial Navy (40K), everyone agrees that the Imperial Army (SW) is pwnd by the Imperial Guard/Space Marines/AdMech. ;)

Norminator
03-02-2008, 20:03
....Really?? Do they have the tech in 40K to have dual layers of interlapping shields covering the whole planet, not to mention the individual section shields, computer centers hard enough to survive a deathstar direct hit, and of course the uncounted number of weapons. Just curious

How can you survive a direct deathstar hit? It blows the planet up - even if the bunker spins away alright, it's not going to be doing much useful....

The_Dragon_Rising
03-02-2008, 20:10
How can you survive a direct deathstar hit? It blows the planet up - even if the bunker spins away alright, it's not going to be doing much useful....

Hey i didn't write the fluff- if i ever wrote fluff i would make it so simple that whilst sucking there could never be a misconception or argument.

However i think it falls under the very,very,very armourmed and shielded bunker complex that is self sustaining thus able to 'stay'. But enough if the diversions.

Apparently then the Palace really is rock hard, Dorn(?) did a good job then.

Gen.Steiner
03-02-2008, 20:58
Of course he did, Dorn was the ultimate Siege-man. Or whatever it's called. Arg. Drunk! :p Am oging offline now to save reputation on Warseer. :chrome:

Chaplain of Chaos
03-02-2008, 21:20
IIRC then the Emperors palace alone is the size of europe.

Burnthem
03-02-2008, 21:44
To the SW nerd: It's the Imperial Palace. Yep to all of those. :) Besides, while the Imperial Navy (SW) pwns the Imperial Navy (40K), everyone agrees that the Imperial Army (SW) is pwnd by the Imperial Guard/Space Marines/AdMech. ;)

Dont start this one again mate, everyone i speak to considers the Imperial 40K fleet to pound the SW fleet into dust at every oppurtunity. Only one explanation is needed - A Cobra Destroyer, the smallest combat ship in the Imperial Fleet is larger than a SW Imperial Star Destroyer.

End. Of. Discussion. :D

javgoro
03-02-2008, 22:13

In a new thread, guys, please... Thatīs the kind of thing that will quickly drift OT, with no answer to satisfy both sides, and this one is pretty interesting, I would hate to see it drift into that kind of discussion. (And just because I quoted Norminator that doesnīt mean that itīs directed at him in particular, but in general to all following along that path :) )

izandral
03-02-2008, 22:43
how can you boil all the water off ?? , even if you do boil it up it'll fall down in rain eventually

The pestilent 1
03-02-2008, 22:53

....move aside SW nerd coming though ;)

Given the energy required for the Death Star to even exist, I'm just going to go ahead and write Star Wars off entirely as Science fiction, and call it "Science - George Lucas knows none" instead.

Not to mention the effective firing range of a star destroyer - 2 LY iirc - I mean... Seriously, WTF?

LordXaras
03-02-2008, 23:15
how can you boil all the water off ?? , even if you do boil it up it'll fall down in rain eventuallyMassive hydrogen extraction programme gone wrong? Blown into space? Extracted by gremlins?

Dragonlv8
03-02-2008, 23:27
yay no water, now I don't have to do swimming lessons, thank god I hate swimming...

kkoene
03-02-2008, 23:29
how can you boil all the water off ?? , even if you do boil it up it'll fall down in rain eventually

That's assuming that the water vapors stay within Terra's atmosphere. I'm guessing that the energy released upon impact, either blasted the water molecules into space, or, just completely obliterated the atoms as well. Cool topic BTW.

Lord Cook
04-02-2008, 00:40
I'm not sure if it's even possible to 'destroy' atoms. Removing the orbiting electrons is easy, but to actually separate the constituent protons and neutrons would simply create new, smaller atoms. Once you go as small as you can get (hydrogen) then the only way to separate it further would be to prise apart the quarks within the proton. I admit I have no idea if that's even possible or not, but suffice to say if it is it would require unimaginably vast power of some kind. By that point you're screwing with forces that transcend Newton's basic laws of physics.

Voleron
04-02-2008, 00:49
Eh. Let's just write it off to some Psychic chicanery or crazy STC business. Saying that something happening in 40k transcends Newton's Laws is like saying that Something in a Goto novel is poorly written. :p

Ghost Of Caliban
04-02-2008, 01:43
I would assume that terra has probably been terrafromed more than once due to bombardment, does that bring the oceans back?

Champsguy
04-02-2008, 03:41
Dont start this one again mate, everyone i speak to considers the Imperial 40K fleet to pound the SW fleet into dust at every oppurtunity. Only one explanation is needed - A Cobra Destroyer, the smallest combat ship in the Imperial Fleet is larger than a SW Imperial Star Destroyer.

End. Of. Discussion. :D

And an aircraft carrier is bigger than the Millenium Falcon. So? Especially when Star Wars is involved, you would do well to remember: size matters not.

Keemperor
04-02-2008, 04:52
On the 40k vs SW subject I will add this Lance batteries.

Essentially cruiser sized beams designed to quite literally gut a ship in half (40k vessel at that) think of B5 and the shadows slicing vessels in two cleanly and that is the image of what a lance battery does, just seriously increse the power to be 40k level.

Plus despite all the ohh we lost the technology is BS srry for the word, but it is clearly stated in more than one book that Lance technology was allready perfected and could be manufactured in a number of worlds and installed in a large number of vessels.

As for ranges, SW's longest ranges are 10 LS (Light Seconds) and 40k's are even enough to make it a literal none issue.

Thw greatest advantage SW has over 40k ship wise is the Hyperdrive, because I dont think that even a super star destroyer will not be able to take an Emperor Class Battleship broadsides and that is standard Imperial doctrine. To that effect no SW capital ship will be able to take the pounding an IOM vessels broadside can dish out and FYI star destroyers weapons are meant for broadside duels if not look at a picture and determine how many of its heavy weapons can actually be frontal fired and it wont be much.

Industry wise, SW has a small number of very capble worlds or systems that can mass produce like crazy, but the IOM has literally hundreds of worlds solely designated to produce anything from simple bullets to huge battleships and unlike the SW ones that are corporate based, the IOM ones are never stopping, they toil say and night without stop to produce war material for the Imperial army and navy

Iracundus
04-02-2008, 05:40
As for ranges, SW's longest ranges are 10 LS (Light Seconds) and 40k's are even enough to make it a literal none issue.

Sorry to say you've got your scales wrong. If you read Andy Chambers' designer notes, the BFG scale is approximately 1cm = 1,000 km. The longest lances the Imperium uses have range of 60cm so 60,000 km. That's not even one quarter of a light second.

Brother Siccarius
04-02-2008, 06:22
Isn't terra a fortress world currently?

Ie, the entire planet is covered in fortified buildins, standing on top of bunkers on top of deep bunkers with deeper bunkers under those with bombing shelters under those?

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

Actually it's classified as a Hive World as of 3rd edition where it's listed among the examples of Hive Worlds in the Main Rulebook. Most complete description of it I've heard, however, is in Wolfblade (that "elusive" Space Wolf book's name).

Where a normal hive world has layers upon layers of civilization, Terra would be by far the largest and oldest. Interlocking layers of technology, civilization, society, humanity, evolution, and psyker sorcery all rolled into one. Wouldn't surprise me if you could do a cross section of the layers and find that the Emperor wrote his name into it all via complex use of the interlocking architecture of several centuries of civilizations, just for a lark. He seems the kind to do that.

As to the idea of "Necromunda: Terra". Yes, but the redemptionist squads would be size of 40k Guard armies, the Spyre hunters would be on par with Imperial Assassins(and likely be part of the Navigator Houses), the spy clan would be Inquisitors and inquisitor henchmen, and there'd be a lot more Arbites. Personally I think you could get away with a campaign entirely based around cutting in line at the procession leading up to the Emperor's Palace.

Iuris
04-02-2008, 08:23
The seas could evaporate, but they'd condense again. There's nowhere else for the clouds to go, unless they're hit SO hard they escape the gravity and land on the moon/marc&Venus/Sun&Jupiter. And then, you'd have to import replacement water from elsewhere.

However, think of this: The layer of buildings is taller than the seas are deep, and most of the water would be kept in circulation for the needs of the population.

Gen.Steiner
04-02-2008, 09:57
IIRC then the Emperors palace alone is the size of europe.

That's because it is Europe. :p

I would assume that terra has probably been terrafromed more than once due to bombardment, does that bring the oceans back?

Er, I dunno, I would assume it has some sort of water somewhere, although it may be that Terra no longer has an atmosphere!

Londinium
04-02-2008, 21:40
If Terra didn't have an atmosphere, people would die fairly quickly, if not because of a lack of oxygen then most definitely due to the radiation they'd be bombarded with :D

I think the whole oceans evaporating thing was just a bit of rule of cool literature, there has to be some kind of water source on the planet, totally importing all it's food is extreme but could be possible, the resources needed to import all it's water would be collosal on a whole different scale, considering the differences in amounts of water and food used per person per day and also the storage space that water would take as opposed to foodstuffs.

Personally I see a system of overground water channels and aqueducts spanning the entire planet and linking up with the polar caps, and funnelling the water around the population, with no spare water at all, everything is recycled and transported around the system constantly, it'd be a public works of immense proportions and would be highly technologically advanced, this is Terra afterall, if nowhere else in the Imperium (aside from Mars) it should have some grasp of the old technologies.

As for the actual planet, as many people here have said already it's a Hive City, imagine a Gothic Coruscant but much more dangerous and dirty and you're pretty much on the money, although like all hive cities the upper levels would be relatively peaceful, safe, clean and nice to live in, housing all the nobility of Terra (whatever survived the Heresy) and the high rank administrators, then getting progressively worse the further down the hive you get, until you hit the lowest levels and below them the sewers and water works, where you get all the usual nasty stuff but on a hugely magnified scale. Something quite evocative of Blade Runner x Taris from KOTOR x necromunda x Coruscant with more than a hint of darkness and desperation springs to my mind.

The Anarchist
04-02-2008, 22:16
don't know how accepted it now is, but use to be common saying that the Emperor's throne room is directly over Warhammer World/GW headquaters in Nottingham. jsut a joke-y comment but fairly sure this was widlya ccepted at one time.

also if you use enough force all the water would be evaporated and due to varrious pressures and such maybe the water is jsut broken down into sigle atoms which have since bonded with other atoms to make things other than water due to the heat, pressure and gods alone know what else the 41st millenium terra has to offer.

jsut my two cents peeps.

Lord Cook
04-02-2008, 22:41
Terra is also renowned for being fanatically religious. More than any other world in the Imperium, Terra is constantly home to billions of pilgrims and zealous fanatics.

Burnthem
04-02-2008, 23:24
Hardly surprising when you consider that even standing on the same planet as the Emperor is an honour 99.999999% of Humans will never have.

Gen.Steiner
04-02-2008, 23:24
If Terra didn't have an atmosphere, people would die fairly quickly, if not because of a lack of oxygen then most definitely due to the radiation they'd be bombarded with

Urm. If they're buried under several metres of ferrocrete, as is likely, the radiation wouldn't get through and the interior could be filled with artificially produced air (plant-farms, imported oxygen, etc etc).

Londinium
04-02-2008, 23:37
Urm. If they're buried under several metres of ferrocrete, as is likely, the radiation wouldn't get through and the interior could be filled with artificially produced air (plant-farms, imported oxygen, etc etc).

Terra has never been portrayed as being 'buried' in any way, it's just a hive world on a massive scale, regardless of mile high hives or whatever, the radiation will still penetrate to the surface and below without an atmosphere. Mile high hives while they sound impressive height wise, really aren't (speaking in terms of technology and what we can do now, they still look damn impressive...I've got to get to Dubai) the proposed Al Burj in Dubai is going to be 2/3rds of a mile high, even the Burj Dubai which is nearly finished is about a 1/3 of a mile high...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Burj_Dubai_in_Skyline_on_24_December_2007.jp g and thats with modern technology.

It's merely the footprint and sheer number (and the number of spires they have) of them which is impressive about hive cities, even so ignoring the idea of everyone living underground (which is what I assume you're suggesting), such structures will not prevent radiation if Terra has no atmosphere.

The images of it from Fire Warrior seem to indicate your normal hive city aswell, Terra certainly doesn't appear to be built under metres of ferrocrete.

qsd
05-02-2008, 05:23
-They have Void Shields and such, at least for the parts they think are important, that is. Plus their palace/fortress/bunkers are pretty capable of weathering out orbital bombardment.
-If death star shots can tear up thousands of km of rock and metal, then I don't see why a bunker should be able to survive that unless it has Warp protection, but SW doesn't have that.
-Uncounted or not, Terra probably has more weapons.

Coruscant's neighbors are mostly uninhabited.
Terra has:
-Luna (the moon) - basically a larger death star, with multiple "big lasers"
-Mars, which is almost like a second Terra/Coruscant, plus it has all of its Dark Age relics
-Jupiter's moons - think death star without the planet-killing laser
-Saturn's moons - home of the GK's and Ordo Malleus HQ
I'm pretty sure there's other things too.

That's because it is Europe. :p

Er, I dunno, I would assume it has some sort of water somewhere, although it may be that Terra no longer has an atmosphere!
Although I'm sure its large enough that it covers a decent part (if not all) of Europe, I think the palace is focused around the Himalayas - that is where the Emperor made his fortresses and vaults after all..

-------

I know that we have the whole thing about the oceans boiling away, but isn't it possible that sometime between then and the present 40k, all of the water was used up or was stored away somewhere?

Terra has an atmosphere, and the hive surface isn't buried.
Like Londinium said, its basically a Gothic Coruscant (without all of the xenos).

angels of awesome
05-02-2008, 06:01
a have city that covers the entire planet sounds about right for the birth place of the emperor.

Baltar
05-02-2008, 06:27
Its like Coruscant - but a slightly more dark and emo Coruscant - because this is 40k after all.

Iracundus
05-02-2008, 06:38
Most artwork of hive cities doesn't really match the text description. Often the art just shows a big city with lots of spires, but still essentially open to the sky like Coruscant.

However, the texts describe things more like living inside a termite mound such as on Necromunda. In the original Inquisitor novel, some hives encountered in that book were more like corals in shape. Nonetheless, the population in all these hives never see the sky. It's chamber after chamber or level after level of humanity and buildings, eventually enclosed by an outer hive wall or ceiling.

Progena
05-02-2008, 07:20
I'm sitting with the map of Terra from 3rd ed. in front of me, only useful extra information there is that Australia is covered by the Ecclesiarchal Palace. Imperial Primus Palace is sort of indicated on the map, appears to be Europe, but I've also heard Asia which would be more appropriate if the Astromnomican is broadcast from there. The Emperor is plugged into that after all.

As for the map, it's basically a map of modern day earth, seas, clouds and all. Rather dissapointing really.

Brother Siccarius
05-02-2008, 07:37
Most artwork of hive cities doesn't really match the text description. Often the art just shows a big city with lots of spires, but still essentially open to the sky like Coruscant.

However, the texts describe things more like living inside a termite mound such as on Necromunda. In the original Inquisitor novel, some hives encountered in that book were more like corals in shape. Nonetheless, the population in all these hives never see the sky. It's chamber after chamber or level after level of humanity and buildings, eventually enclosed by an outer hive wall or ceiling.

You have to consider that many hive worlds don't entirely fit the "Colossal spyre" stereotype. Terra is a Hive World because it was covered in "collectives" around the time of the Emperor's reconquering. Large cities and population centers, built up and ruled by warlords. There's still an Atmosphere, and many (I might venture to say most when you include pilgrims) would see the outside world on a constant basis. It's a Civilized World built on top of a Hive World.

Iracundus
05-02-2008, 07:49
Read the original Inquisitor novel, which has now been retitled Draco. They actually go to Terra. No sky visible at all when you're in the hives and the characters spend like a year or more worming their way towards the Emperor's throne. Also at gate to the Emperor's throneroom, the ceiling is high enough that clouds form underneath it.

Shadey
05-02-2008, 08:55
I am looking at the 3rd ed rule book too.

All though there is no date it is probably considered a modern picture, ie 41st millenium.

There is definetely oceans and from what I can tell pretty much the same size.

Australia is very recognizable and relatively unchanged.

South East Asia is very different including several large land bridges that links Australia with mainland Asia.

I heard the Imperial Palace was the UK, but given the placing and size of the area marked Imperial Primus Palace, I would tend to go with what has been mentioned here, that it is Europe.

The Ecclesiarchal Palace marking looks to be marking the horizon. Wether this was because they didnt want to cover their pretty picture or because it is actually indicating an area that is more likely South America. As an Aussie I would like to say it points to Australia, but it looks to me like it is pointing to South America.

There appears to be a large inland sea above India, which is another major difference.

Japan also appears linked to the mainland.

Thats about all I can make out from the one image. Really (pleasantly) suprised the image chosen was of Australia/Indian Ocean/Asia and not Europe/Atlantic/Americas

fisher368
20-02-2008, 04:35
well i personally havent but i have heard rumer that there is such a map
and I woyuld think that most of the planet was either water or city with the palace at its center

GodofWarTx
20-02-2008, 08:43
Battlefleet Sol is also there, and it's sole responsibility is the defense of terra. I believe it to be by far the biggest fleet with the oldest/grandest ships. The only weakness i can see with it is having millenia of zero combat to speak of unless the officers in it are cherry picked from battle-hardened ships.

Luna as mentioned is a giant battle station.

What still concerns me is how all the oceans and seas are gone. That would radically alter the climate, temparature, and the possibility of life. Without them, terra would be pretty poisoned in atmosphrere with no phytoplankton to produce the vast amounts of oxygen for our atmosphere. Who knows what kind of wild storms would shape up in such a wierd climate. 200 mph winds? Giant super hurricanes? That would take some strong building techniques to best a pissed off mother nature.

Living on Terra would be both a blessing and a curse. If you were a pilgrim who made it, its far more likely your great great grandchildren would get to get as close as able to the Emperor, not you. However, it seems that pilgrims on Terra are given food and water and are respected as best as possible which is an interesting twist from 40k's doom and gloom, but perfectly logical because the alternative would be mutiny on humanities birthplace by starving pilgrims.

DapperAnarchist
20-02-2008, 09:24
There's a map of earth in somewhere in the RT books IIRC (can't find the damn thing though) - it shows the Eurasian half of the planet, I think, and is just grey bumpyness. It also has a a vague marker for the locations of the Imperial Palace the the Ecclesiarchal Palace. The EP takes up the entire Australasian land mass, while the IP takes up about a quarter of the total area of the planet, covering Europe, west asia, north africa, and it looks like it reaches over to greenland. Interesting, it is precisely centred on Birmingham or Nottingham, seat of the Golden Throne. Nearby, possibly over somewhere like Liverpool, is somesort of hellhole prison for the worst of sinners. GW used to throw loads of stuff like this in...

Ikkaan
20-02-2008, 09:35
Why donīt you post all that stuff on a SW forum, you would be more than welcome to do so i suppose.

Back on track: Without any forests and seas and biological upkeep terras athmosphere must have run out of o2 thousands of years ago. Does this mean that all those sprawling cities are airtight and terraforming-like air scrubbers are working all the time? I canīt imagine how to make such a large and arcane construction would stay airtight all the time (or at least nearly losing no athmosphere).

Champion of the Emperor
21-02-2008, 02:31
terra has no oceans, the antarcitc is one huge inquisition base, its basically one huge city, the ecclisearch covers like the distance between russia, all the way down to mexico i think, and the Imperial fortress is somewhere in antaoly, i think, since that where the emperor was born

Lord Zarkov
21-02-2008, 10:15
Na, the Imperial Palace is supposed to be on the western side of Europe, with thw Golden Throne over where Nottingham was

ctsteel
21-02-2008, 19:57
if the bombardment of terra was heavy and powerful enough (and I believe it was), the water would have been broken down into hydrogen and oxygen components, which would have then acted as fuel to the bombardment and caused a fire storm to swirl around the impacts. So in the end the water would have been consumed in the bombardment, leaving nothing to rain back down. So no oceans. Any water that did survive, would probably have been consumed by the rebuilding process and put into constant recycling.

DapperAnarchist
21-02-2008, 20:14
But when you burn hydrogen and oxygen together you get water. You can't just get rid of stuff... its probably been built over and hidden is all.

Burnthem
21-02-2008, 20:50
To be honest, if the bombardment was strong enough to evaporate the oceans then it was strong enough to wipe out every living thing and every building on Terra. The meteor that wiped out the Dinosaurs (theoretically) didnt touch the seas themselves yet still wiped 90% of living things from the Earths surface.

I think its a combination of 37,000 years of industry and general negligence that has made the seas on Terra disappear. And as for the 'no oxygen' thing, i expect there are some pretty huge atmospheric processers hanging about to solve that problem :)

The Guy
21-02-2008, 21:01

Imperial army (SW) < Cute furry teddy bear guys with sticks...

Anyway OT. With there being no water and such...where does it get shipped from? It must have to come in huge supplies daily and unless mars suddenly sporuted a spring somewhere there's not much around. Right? :confused:

kishvier
21-02-2008, 21:05
They get shipments from all over the galaxy constantly.

Champion of the Emperor
21-02-2008, 21:59
i dont think the bombardment evaporated the water, i just think the 30k terrans needed more population space, so they just filled the water, and created cities.

Londinium
21-02-2008, 22:13
They get shipments from all over the galaxy constantly.

Which would be theoretically crazy, transporting liquids takes up so much more room than solids, and human life uses so much more liquid per day than food and the like, Terra would need to have 24/7 water tankers docking in every single port on the planet and with an incredible turnaround speed and infrastructure to manage to provide enough water for trillions of people, I would even go as far as to claim that it wouldn't be physically possible to do for billions let alone trillions, even in the far future.

More than likely water still exists on Terra, just not in the oceans we are used to, and that old piece of fluff on the bombardment was just hyperbole we should ignore.

icegreentea
21-02-2008, 22:34
All the water are in pipes. Stuff goes down the toilet, through the shoddy filtering plant, and then back into the toilet. Given the numbers of humans supposedly living on Terra (a trillion???), all the water ever on Earth would have to have been desalinated and put to use.

Also apparently even with all the oceans gone, you could still see vague outlines based on ancient (like current) population concentrations. Basically on today's megacities (which are mostly on coastlines), the largest hives were first built... and then built on more... and more...

mr gribbly
25-02-2008, 16:14
I've always liked the image of terra that is seen in the fire warrior intro (available on youtube if you have'nt seen it).

Basicly loads of ships in orbit that will vapourise anything that comes near, with the planet covered in a pole to pole hive that either built over the seas or just used them up.

ChaosBeast
25-02-2008, 18:47
do people actually live there, or is it all Custodes, Space marines, inquisition etc

Killgore
25-02-2008, 20:32
do people actually live there, or is it all Custodes, Space marines, inquisition etc

well theres the millions of pilgrims and the hundreds of mile long ques for the main planetary attractions

the billions of administration staff that run the imperium

the rather large planetary defence force

Terras a pretty crowded place

Champion of the Emperor
25-02-2008, 23:48
people live there, but its pretty much you're an official "servant" (IG, AdMech, Admin, Custodes, SM, etc.) or your one of the underprivledged hive scum.

Cirrus the Blue
26-02-2008, 06:22
I'd say it'd look similar to Coressaunt (sp?) from Star Wars at a glance 'cept more gothic and 'taller' in all aspects. Ridiculous amounts of technology covering absolutely every speck of the entire globe and then some! Cold metals both rusty and dull or shimmering and bright, thousand story tall chapels, churches, cathedrals, and superstructures, freakish technologically deformed servants designed for only the most menial of tasks (holding books, etc.), and noxious gasoline and ozone fumes at every turn.

- Cirrus