PDA

View Full Version : Help linking xbox360 to PC

Deamon-forge
03-02-2008, 10:48
Hi all, i am wanting ti link my xbox360 to my PC and dont want to fork out 60 on a xbox wireless networking thing, So i thort of useing a lead. what sort of lead would i need to do this? any help would be great thanks

Edit: Will i be able to go thro my PC to play live games? if i use a cable or is it better to get the wirless thingie?

Garry

Kiro
03-02-2008, 11:01
Ooooh, wireless networking, that's new for me. Didn't even know you could wirelessly link to your pc, I thought it was just for Live. Anyways, I'm pretty damn sure all you need's a USB cable...

Chaoschrist
03-02-2008, 12:16
Wireless would work just like you could set up a wireless computer and a wired computer on a single network to share files.

However, what are you planning to do with the link? I thought the same thing, and I planned on using my computer as a mediacenter/host for my 360. Later, I read that you needed Windows media center otherwise it won't work.

For a solid connection I recommend a standard networking cable, unless of course you've got a network cable already hooked up for Xbox Live.

In that case, you might see if both (your computer and xbox) are wired through a single connection/modem from your provider and see if you can establish a network connection between both of them.

Deamon-forge
03-02-2008, 12:59
Hi thanks for the relpys, iv got a cable what go's into the xbox and my pc, so i think iv got the cable bit right, but as some els mensioned do i need any thing else if i want to transfer music etc, and use my OC to go on the internet?

philbrad2
03-02-2008, 16:28
IIRC if you want to share data from your PC to Xbox you wither need XP Media Edition or Vista. As to the medium of sharing its fastest over a network connection a simple hub and Cat5 cales will suffice. If you use the PC and Xbox online its best to have both units plugged in the same router/switch.

PhilB
:chrome:

Deamon-forge
03-02-2008, 21:08
ok, iv just got a box thing to plug my lead and extra lead for my net into as my PC has onl;y got one port for the lead, i am using Vista. So fingers crtossed it all works out

sanctusmortis
03-02-2008, 23:09
If you want to share media, unsurprisingly you enable Media Sharing in Windows Media Player 11. If it works, which for me oddly it isn't, but hey.

You need just a standard patch network cable to connect the 360 to the PC, then activate Connection Sharing.

Deamon-forge
05-02-2008, 21:45
Well people i am geting very pissed of with my 360 and PC lol, Iv got the cable, put into port of xbox, and into back of my pc/internet box thing....but i have no idea how to make my 360 go online etc....please help!

hints/tips would be great!

Typheron
06-02-2008, 07:47
How does your PC connect to the Net? Via a wireless hub? or via a USB modem (or something else)?

Deamon-forge
06-02-2008, 10:19
emm, my pc is pluged into a D-link thing, (wirless router i think)

Typheron
06-02-2008, 11:06
Then your x-box cable needs to plug into the back of the wireless router, rather than the PC.

This is the easyest way if possable.

Deamon-forge
06-02-2008, 13:01
Then your x-box cable needs to plug into the back of the wireless router, rather than the PC.

This is the easyest way if possable.

ok iv got the xbox pluged into the router, but still nothing :cries:

Typheron
06-02-2008, 13:28
Ok a quick check, you have a non-twisted network cable and its plugged between your X-Box network port and directly into the router?

Your router is connected to the internet via its internal modem?

You router is not using a MAC address filter (find it in settings).

It may be your router is blocking the x-box from connecting, or its incompatable. What kind of router is it exactly? name and manufacturer number?

Deamon-forge
06-02-2008, 14:15
yep done every thing you have said, the name of the ruter is a D-link...

Typheron
06-02-2008, 14:57
no D-link is the compnay name, not the router type:

http://www.dlink.co.uk/

Go find your router in there and post a link to its page.

Deamon-forge
06-02-2008, 15:01
http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=jN7uAYLx/oIJaWVUDLYZU93ygJVYKuJXStvhLPG3yV3oV494g6ltbNlwaaR p7jguEz2onGQTo48EBtnhy+OxbR9MtOfdfoa0HNG18zENlcw= mine looks like this but with out the very big aireal(sp)

model num: DSL-g4o4/uk

Typheron
06-02-2008, 17:11
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DSL-500Gv4/XBox_360_Media_Center.htm - Port forwards to use 1 (media center)

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DSL-504G/Xbox_Live_360.htm - Port Forward 2 (x-box live)

Try putting them in and see if it allows it.

Also if you have a DMZ, find out what your IP is on your x-box (there should be a list available on your routers firmware) and shove it into the DMZ to open up the firewall.

Deamon-forge
06-02-2008, 19:27
thanks for that, will give it a try.

Typheron
07-02-2008, 07:56
Im afraid beyond that working, im out of ideas without seeing the system set-up first hand.

The other option is XBL support, but there probably not oging to be much help on that one.