PDA

View Full Version : Just to check if I've got it right...

Kiro
03-02-2008, 11:42
Has it always been written that the Imperium of the 31st Millienium was zealously atheistic, or is this just a retcon of the Horus Heresy series?

Iracundus
03-02-2008, 12:48
Shoehorned retcon

If you dig into the old original background, you will find references to the Emperor blessing AdMech Titans on Mars. The Emperor did nothing to dissuade people from superstitious practices regarding technology.

Feor
03-02-2008, 13:06
Even in the horus heresy books, the cult of the Omnimessiah was allowed to function. The Emperor didn't dissuade the people from thinking he was some kind of Messiah of technology, he just refuted their claims that he was a god.

He was zealously anti-his-own-divinity in fluff at least as long as the Word Bearers have existed, since that fact is integral to their origins.

Kiro
03-02-2008, 13:51
He was zealously anti-his-own-divinity in fluff at least as long as the Word Bearers have existed, since that fact is integral to their origins.

Just to nitpick but I think he was more concerned about the Word Bearers moonlighting as cathedral-builders and preachers :angel:

Kandarin
03-02-2008, 18:06
Just to nitpick but I think he was more concerned about the Word Bearers moonlighting as cathedral-builders and preachers :angel:

Yeah, in the earlier fluff the Emperor got annoyed with the Word Bearers because they slowed to build cathedrals and convert all of the masses instead of getting on with their work of conquering. This led Lorgar to doubt the Emperor's divinity, in which he had trusted.

Khaine's Messenger
03-02-2008, 19:57
Has it always been written that the Imperium of the 31st Millienium was zealously atheistic, or is this just a retcon of the Horus Heresy series?

From what I can dimly recall of those few times when I found the "old" background on the subject, it was just never really discussed. The whole "zealous atheist" stance may be a more recent addition, but the Great Crusade was very rarely cast in a religious light except by those who lived centuries after the fact. It was most assuredly cast as a fit of righteous, humanocentric, patriotic zeal, though..."For Horus And Humanity!"

ryng_sting
03-02-2008, 21:02
New introduction. I wouldn't call it a retcon, since there was next to no information about the 30th millenium before beyond the barest of concerning the Great Crusade and the Horus Heresy.