PDA

View Full Version : Mis-Interpreting the Rules

rambler
03-02-2008, 14:00
What's the biggest WTF moment you've had regarding someone not having a clue on what the rules were?

For me it was yesterday. I was at a local GW shop watching a game and one kid said "Ok I'm going to Deep Strike my Land Raider." WTF? All of the rest of the guys around tried to explain it to him. He had a hissy fit and went running off to the Red Shirt who promptly told him that he couldn't. I basically told him, well you ain't playing Warhammer 40k, maybe WarAXE 40k, or Longspear 40k, but it sure ain't Warhammer 40k.

Necrotyr18
03-02-2008, 14:19
Well at my local gaming store we have a player that is not all there. For a while he just went off of what people told him were rules instead of looking them up. Well one day he was playing his nurgle against my friends khorne army(before the new 'dex). His plague marines were in combat with some chaos hounds. Well he rolls all of his attacks and so does my friend. They are just about to do combat resolution, and he mutters the most idiotic phrase I've ever heard, " Wait... I've got to shoot my lascannon."

My friend is dumb-founded and asks what he is talking about and then here it gets even more idiotic, " Yea, a powerfist turns into a lascannon in combat!?!"

Needlessly to be said my friend has a very confused face on. I'm at a table on the side of them, upon hearing this I immediatly look over. He then explains it by saying he knows he saw it in there somewhere. After 5 - 10 minutes of search he can't find the rule, obviously because it's not there, though he keeps insisting it is there, even though the whole store is telling him he is wrong he keeps persisting until he eventually submits.

So after that he gets embaressed and they keep playing. Thinking back on it me and my friend came to the conclusion that he heard someone make the reference, " A powerfist is like a lascannon in combat." So he saw it as, "Hum, I guess a powerfist turns in to lascannon."

That was my WTF moment.

Emperor's Avenger
03-02-2008, 14:31
That is scary.

Mine was when playing against a Black Templar army. The player didn't so much misinterpret the rules as not interpret them at all. He tried to field FOUR HQ choices and several squads equipped with multiple special weapons and missile launchers. Also, some of the models had weapons loadouts that didn't seem to fit with the concept of rules. They included:

One with two plasma pistols
One with a meltagun and power fist
One with a Sentinel autocannon stuck to his torso (?)

By the way, all of these were normal Templars except for the powerfist/melta, who I think was a sergeant. He also seemed to have way too many points. Luckily, the battlefield had absolutely no terrain, which didn't seem to bother him as he picked it.

Kulgur
03-02-2008, 14:36
I have a WTF moment pretty much every time I look at the rules questions board :(

BladeWalker
03-02-2008, 14:59
I have a WTF moment pretty much every time I look at the rules questions board :(

LOL! I was going to say the same thing! I read the Rules forums to learn the rules better and every time I skim the topics I learn something new... :D

Kulgur
03-02-2008, 15:33
It's not that, it's more "How the hell did you manage to interperate the rules like THAT?"

xibo
03-02-2008, 15:36
Like a week ago or so someone deepstriked a droppodded dreadnought next to my ( we were allied ) techpriest enginseer and told me to make my enginseer 'fix' his droppod's immobility ( it's a vehicled that gets immobilized after touchdown so it can be repaired and move 12" + be annoying / 6" + fire stormbolter by RAW ).

Mad Doc Grotsnik
03-02-2008, 15:38
Well, I was part of an hour long debate with one kid as to whether or not he could use his Apothecary to stop his Chapter Master getting squished by a Powerfist.

Poor kid just couldn't get his head round the Instant Death not being preventable, as he was hung up on his Invulnerable Save. Kind of reminded me of people on the web, obsessed with the rule confirming their interpretation, rather than just reading what is there!

The_Outsider
03-02-2008, 16:09

LOL! I was going to say the same thing! I read the Rules forums to learn the rules better and every time I skim the topics I learn something new... :D

Sad thing is i've seen some pretty...interesting interpretations of rules but warseer takes the cake for sheer "I want to do this so the rules must bend to my wishes" (otherwise known as the 40k rules board).

Best i've ever seen in a real game? Probably someone deciding that his entire battle plan hinged around basically using the deepstrike rules as he saw fit.

LoneSniperSG
03-02-2008, 17:31
( it's a vehicled that gets immobilized after touchdown so it can be repaired and move 12" + be annoying / 6" + fire stormbolter by RAW ).

.. please tell me he did not actually say that.

Bunnahabhain
03-02-2008, 17:41
Best one I've seen was a total failure over Ordnance rules. Has a standard Russ,and a Demolisher, nicely lined up on some marines.

Rolls to hit on BS with ordnance.
Doesn't place a blast markers.
Then fires other weapons.

When I opened the book to the ordnance section, there was this look of realisation on his face. He'd been told battlecannons were good for killing marines, but hadn't seen why....

Reaver83
03-02-2008, 17:55
my favourite one was at a local tournament where a kid had bionics completely wrong.

He had a bT army and said that when his leader with bionics lost his last wound he rolled a 6 and was up to full wounds.

After asking him to show me where this was in his codex, he conveniently didn't have it... Thankfully one of the staffers was able to back up the real rules

Symbolic
03-02-2008, 20:55
What's the biggest WTF moment you've had regarding someone not having a clue on what the rules were?

For me it was yesterday. I was at a local GW shop watching a game and one kid said "Ok I'm going to Deep Strike my Land Raider." WTF? All of the rest of the guys around tried to explain it to him. He had a hissy fit and went running off to the Red Shirt who promptly told him that he couldn't. I basically told him, well you ain't playing Warhammer 40k, maybe WarAXE 40k, or Longspear 40k, but it sure ain't Warhammer 40k.

He probably confused Land Speeder and Land Raider. As a person who largely doesn't play SM, I do that ALL the time.

xibo
03-02-2008, 21:05
He probably confused Land Speeder and Land Raider. As a person who largely doesn't play SM, I do that ALL the time.
More probably he was using 'land raider' to refer to samael on his speeder.

rambler
03-02-2008, 21:14

I would have thought that except that he had a Land Speeder in his army too. And he did clearly mean his Land Raider. He was also the one throwing his dead marines into the dead box and breaking off the arms. :confused: :cries:

Vaktathi
03-02-2008, 21:30
I haven't seen to many outright wierd interpretations of the rules in real life that weren't outright cheating (like using the new BA Death Company and Mephiston with the old Furious Charge and assaulting out of Rhino's rules)

however I have seen people here on Warseer try to claim that their Tyranid ID Immunity made them immune to Force Weapons and the like even after having the Instant Death rule pointed out and explained to them in detail and other such silly things.

Son of Morkai
03-02-2008, 22:50
I overheard the 40k "expert" at my LGS telling someone that Artificer Armor is EXACTLY like Terminator Armor, in every respect.

Also had a tournament organizer spend 15 minutes trying to prove that vehicles couldn't claim objectives, just so his friend would beat me. He conveniently amended the next three rounds' missions so that vehicles couldn't claim objectives. Oh, and then he told me I couldn't give his friend a 0 for his painting score, despite the fact most of his army wasn't painted and some weren't even assembled.

Caboose123
03-02-2008, 23:05
Like a week ago or so someone deepstriked a droppodded dreadnought next to my ( we were allied ) techpriest enginseer and told me to make my enginseer 'fix' his droppod's immobility ( it's a vehicled that gets immobilized after touchdown so it can be repaired and move 12" + be annoying / 6" + fire stormbolter by RAW ).

I would love to see a mobile drop pod...

Would it crawl? Roll? WTF...

I'd like to see some expert tell him why he cannot though ;) RAW sucks...

Deus Mechanicus
03-02-2008, 23:10
Also had a tournament organizer spend 15 minutes trying to prove that vehicles couldn't claim objectives, just so his friend would beat me. He conveniently amended the next three rounds' missions so that vehicles couldn't claim objectives. Oh, and then he told me I couldn't give his friend a 0 for his painting score, despite the fact most of his army wasn't painted and some weren't even assembled.

lol that's awesome

cleansingfury
03-02-2008, 23:15
People (under 16) at my local still think you must roll to hit with an ordanace weapon isntead of using the scatter die.

prince_dios
03-02-2008, 23:31
The incident didn't happen while I was at the LGS, or I wouldn't kicked the guy in the balls. A guy claimed that terminators didn't actually have terminator armor.

Another scene from my LGS: Kid 1 is beating Kid 2 badly. Kid 2 announces that he's rolling to see if his space ship shows up. He rolls and announces it has, and that all of Kid 1's troopers have been killed. Aww man!, said Kid 1, and packed up his stuff.

Feor
03-02-2008, 23:36
Most likely reason for Deep Striking Land Raider: Terminators can deep strike, Terminators can also take a Land Raider. It's a short (but faulty) logical step to come up with a Dedicated Transport Land Raider being able to deep strike with it's squad. Then another (not faulty, except for it's original basis) logical step to apply it to all Land Raiders.

Only really bad one was on the edge of outright cheating. Wasn't my game, but the person I was watching had been told that you can't measure distance before declaring targets or assaults so he was measuring distance to other units during his movement phase, right after he moved his units. We had to explain to him that it covered the entire turn, and that whoever had that the person he'd learned the trick from had cheated him.

Ghilleman
03-02-2008, 23:42
Another scene from my LGS: Kid 1 is beating Kid 2 badly. Kid 2 announces that he's rolling to see if his space ship shows up. He rolls and announces it has, and that all of Kid 1's troopers have been killed. Aww man!, said Kid 1, and packed up his stuff.

That one sounds bad. "On a 1+, my flying Emeror class titans show up and raze the battlefield with their blackstone fortress launchers!"

On that note, I've never encountered any really bad rules mis-interpretations, but then again, I don't get to play that often.

Voleron
03-02-2008, 23:49
I've been teaching a couple of friends to play recently, so there's a few leaps of logic which are less than correct. On the other hand, we've made a habit of double-checking nearly every rule in our training sessions, so there's never been any real huge gaffes that I can remember.

azimaith
03-02-2008, 23:51
Lets see, the always fun comp onion story from Hawaii.

I was playing in a tournament against a blood angels player a year or so back full of the standard blood angels silliness. Min scout squads with sgts ect.

So anyhow I go in and charge his death company with my genestealers. I kill a bunch and he starts to roll for his remaining attacks back. He then declared: "I hit on 3s."

So I figured, maybe he doesn't know the Genestealer WS so I point out: "Genestealers are WS6, so you hit on 4's."

He suddenly looks indignant and says: "No I hit on 3s, see, my WS is 4."
So I tell him "you might be confusing BS with WS, they have different charts."
He goes on for another couple of minutes pointing out how BS4 hits on 3's and how his marines are BS4. Finally I get the tournament organizer over and he tells him flat out WS and BS are two different things and he doesn't hit on 3's.

That was funny stuff.

starlight
03-02-2008, 23:58
:eek:

Soooooo......... How many points did said space ship cost....? ;)

The Terminators not having Terminator Armour is an old one.:p

Sir_Lunchalot
04-02-2008, 00:05
Here's two.

About 8 years ago, I was in a GW store for a mega battle, and one kid was trying to argue that a power weapon ignores invulnerable saves. The reasoning: but it says "an invulnerable save may be taken as normal" therefore it is a normal save and is ignored by the power weapon!. The redshirt, after shaking his head, promptly informed me that no, it doesn't quite work like that. In my defense i'd been playing the game for less than 6 months, and was only 12 at the time. I like to think that I'm a little smarter now.

and one that wasn't me...

at a GW a couple years later, and this kid says his chapter is the nuclear marines. starting turn two you roll for reserves to see if his nuke gets dropped. when it arives, it instantly vaporizes everything in your deployment zone. That gave everyone a good laugh.

Halcyon504
04-02-2008, 00:16
I wasn't playing in this one, but there was this guy in a game I was watching was playing Eldar, who had a TON of Rangers. I guess he'd been pulling this off for awhile now with no one catching him, because it seemed ok with everyone.

Anyhow, the first shooting phase, after he fired shots, he declared to his opponent that all of the units that were shot, were automatically pinned! This gave a shock to his opponent, who promptly told him to look at the pinning rule. It started getting ugly real fast, so I interjected with the Eldar codex and the BGB on display, and showed the Eldar player that Rangers do not Auto-Pin when shooting.

He muttered something about having to rebuild his entire army a little afterwards. :D

Rioghan Murchadha
04-02-2008, 00:33
Mine's more of a WTF with the rules rather than a player's interpretation or lack thereof.

The problem had never come up before, but I finally realized that Chaos Sorcerers with the mark of Tzeentch, and 1ksons Aspiring Champions are absolutely worthless, and here's why. A sorcerer can only use one power that counts as a weapon per turn, this is fine... sorcs with the MoT can cast 2 powers in a turn... So they could warptime, then BoC, doombolt, etc. However, 1ksons ass champs can only BUY one power, which they can't use twice in a turn...

But wait! you say. They get that extra use because they carry force weapons!

I thought so too, says I, but if you read the rules on force weapons in the BGB, they explicitly prohibit you from using another psychic power in the same turn. Ergo, you are paying for what is often a useless ability, or a useless weapon. At a required 60 pts in a 1ksons squad, this pretty much sucks.

(Note that Ahriman has a special rule that gets him around this restriction, but nobody else does)

Eldartank
04-02-2008, 02:02
I overheard the 40k "expert" at my LGS telling someone that Artificer Armor is EXACTLY like Terminator Armor, in every respect.

I would have given him a ZERO anyway, regardless of what the tournament organizer said, and I would have written that zero VERY BIG AND THICK so he couldn't cross it out or otherwise change it. I also would have given that opponent the exact same kind of ZERO for sportsmanship and army composition. Then I would have made a big complaint to the owner of the store, assuming the tournament organizer wasn't also the store owner. If that tournament organizer was a GW redshirt, I would have written a very angry (but very polite) letter to GW about the problem.

dr.oetk3r
04-02-2008, 02:39
The incident didn't happen while I was at the LGS, or I wouldn't kicked the guy in the balls. A guy claimed that terminators didn't actually have terminator armor.

Wait, Terminators do have terminator armour :wtf: :confused:

It doesn't say they do.... :rolleyes:

Mitheral
04-02-2008, 03:11
Well when I^H someone I know first started I^H he cranked out a spreadsheet to calculate my^H^H his army. And because it was only a matter of a few minutes typing the sheet included full stat line. Everything was fine until post battle analysis a couple months later trying to figure out the artificer rule for Tomb Spiders revealed that the Scarab Swarm stat line had them getting a 3+ save rather than a 5+. Needless to say the 3+ version was like the best unit/model I^H he could field.

Weird thing was is the stat lines had been checked over twice because everytime I^H he played a marine army they would question the warrior's stat line.

ehlijen
04-02-2008, 03:39
On the spaceship one, maybe they were just trying to come up with a story for a meat grinder mission? Ie once reaching random game lenght point he rolls to 'see if his spaceship saves him"?

A long time ago I was playing my star wars themed eldar and for some reason utterly stuffed up the rules for eldritch storm. It took about a dozen games for someone to finally point out to me that it doesn't actually fling the models of the target unit out of coherency :$ to this day I don't know how I came up with that nonsense...

.H.
04-02-2008, 03:55
Well, I was part of an hour long debate with one kid as to whether or not he could use his Apothecary to stop his Chapter Master getting squished by a Powerfist.

Poor kid just couldn't get his head round the Instant Death not being preventable, as he was hung up on his Invulnerable Save. Kind of reminded me of people on the web, obsessed with the rule confirming their interpretation, rather than just reading what is there!

You know, i have the exact same argument every time a friend of mine plays his Deathwing. Could you possibly give me an FAQ or something i can hit him with? :angel:

Frankenskid
04-02-2008, 05:51
My latest rule WTF has to be someone trying to tell me that you have to roll and then place reserves one at a time. I had to show him in the rulebook faq that you roll for all of them, and then deploy as you choose per the IC squad, and undedicated transport arrive part of that FAQ.

the blind knight
04-02-2008, 06:09
I would like to point out if people havent noticed already that EVERY single story posted so far is somehow related to a person of 12 or under of age.:p
So i should post mine:

-my first battle the opponent(who plays necron)said to my that his warriors shoot twice up to maximum range becouse of rapid firing,I think he regreted that the moment it pulled out my 24 Tau fire warriors on the table

-Watched a game of 40k where a kid(see what i mean)was convinct that his Catchans got a 4+ invurnable becouse they were in a forest and he painted them green

-happend in fantasy.10 furies charge my cannon and i decide to stand and shoot.The opponents face was unforgetable.

HiveFleetEzekial
04-02-2008, 06:41
You're making an assumption with that. Not a wise thing to do, considering there are plenty of people, even some that are 'vets' to the game, that make grandious mistakes or outright cheat, causing some of these WTF moments.

Desert thunder
04-02-2008, 06:49
This happened last year when my friend started playing Tau apparently when he got his Codex he wrote in it that the Tau pulse rifle had a strength of 6, this stood until we went to GW and I asked the manager, I went and confronted my friend while he was playing a game using his speacial rule that he wrote in his Codex summary it was so funny as he went from red shirt to red shirt asking about the rule.

Burnthem
04-02-2008, 07:29
When me and my brother started playing about 10 years ago we were having a battle between my Salamanders and his Blood Angels. He charged Chaplain Lemartes into one of my Tac' Squads, and promptly anounced that he got to roll 6 (!) dice to determine the number of attacks. I promptly got battered :D

I naturally thought something wasnt right about this so i took a look at the BA codex when i was next in a GW (we were 11 and 9 so didnt have the money to buy it yet) and realised the Lemartes did in fact get D6 attacks, however my brother was under the impression that D6 meant six dice :D

alphastealer
04-02-2008, 07:33
I tend to get annoyed when guys don't know how their own armies work and the specific rules for them, but even more when guys who have never read my armie's codex, tell me how my army 'really' works and that I am making up all the unique benefits I am using.

eg: I had a 10 minute debate over tyranid move through cover and fleet of foot on gaunts. He hated seeing his necrons getting charged after only 1 round of shooting.

I don't know all the details of each codex so only question a rule or benefit if it looks a little too beneficial, otherwise I let it roll. Usually my gut instinct is correct when guys try something that their codex does not allow, eg: chaos and they shall know no fear, and re-rolling saves on characters.

And the best is a landraider moving like a fast vehicle and still firing all lascannons and benefitting from hull down while out in the open.

Then there was the Tau guy who said his firewarriors can rapid fire at half their range, so '18 two shots per guy. Things like that can make a big difference.

Socially I don't mind the odd rule slip up and will even allow a guy to fire a weapon he forgot about in the shooting phase, but at tourneys where there are decent prizes and ranking to consider, then my tollerance for rule benders goes out the window and I get hot under the collar.

If you don't know a rule, fine, we can look it up together or ask a veteran, but please oh please, do not argue and get huffy when you don't know jack and are trying to justify your own thinking.

Luna de hierro
04-02-2008, 07:41
I have a :wtf: moment every time i play or see other people play in a GW store.

Bathfinder
04-02-2008, 09:16
An embarrasing one (yes, It was myself) was when I first played with my new craftworld eldar codex (alaitoc), (when rolling on the disruption table you could force units to the reserves) i somehow got the idea that they entered the game from a random table edge and actually played a whole tournament convincing my opponents that was the case. (they do enter the game as regular reserves...).

Another WTF encountered regularly is not a rules misinterpretation as such, but is about line of sight. Quite a few fellows out there sure like to bend their rulers around corners, and can argue for minutes when i state that "well, I think 2 of my rangers here can see your squad over there" and after a while I get him to come around to my side of the table and look from the models view, and then he lets me shoot, but still calls me a whiner.

Grazzy
04-02-2008, 09:57
This is more cheating than rule bending, but i saw a guy insist that his daemon prince could charge in turn two. It had no wings, and the enemy had not moved towards it. We explained to him for about 5 minutes that 2 moves and an assault is not enough to move 24'' so he must have deployed too close but he did not refuse us.

pookie
04-02-2008, 11:38
Mine's more of a WTF with the rules rather than a player's interpretation or lack thereof.

The problem had never come up before, but I finally realized that Chaos Sorcerers with the mark of Tzeentch, and 1ksons Aspiring Champions are absolutely worthless, and here's why. A sorcerer can only use one power that counts as a weapon per turn, this is fine... sorcs with the MoT can cast 2 powers in a turn... So they could warptime, then BoC, doombolt, etc. However, 1ksons ass champs can only BUY one power, which they can't use twice in a turn...

But wait! you say. They get that extra use because they carry force weapons!

I thought so too, says I, but if you read the rules on force weapons in the BGB, they explicitly prohibit you from using another psychic power in the same turn. Ergo, you are paying for what is often a useless ability, or a useless weapon. At a required 60 pts in a 1ksons squad, this pretty much sucks.

(Note that Ahriman has a special rule that gets him around this restriction, but nobody else does)

you need to re read the dex mate ( cant do you a page numb) but MoT does let you use two powers, but these cannot be the same shooting one/two shooting ones, hence you can use a power and the FW in the same turn..

This is more cheating than rule bending, but i saw a guy insist that his daemon prince could charge in turn two. It had no wings, and the enemy had not moved towards it. We explained to him for about 5 minutes that 2 moves and an assault is not enough to move 24'' so he must have deployed too close but he did not refuse us.

well thats not true, if i deploy 12inch in, then move 6 inch, you also deploy 12 inch in and move 6 inch that leaves a distance of 12 inch between your forces, plus if you move diagonaly you end up closer than if you move in straight lines.

Bookwrak
04-02-2008, 11:53
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way.

Feor
04-02-2008, 12:13
well thats not true, if i deploy 12inch in, then move 6 inch, you also deploy 12 inch in and move 6 inch that leaves a distance of 12 inch between your forces, plus if you move diagonaly you end up closer than if you move in straight lines.

Diagonally doesn't make for a shorter trip than a straight line, it will make for a longer trip, aggording to Pythagorus. Plus he said that the model being changed hadn't moved, so the prince would have gotten 3 x 6" to make 24".

My latest rule WTF has to be someone trying to tell me that you have to roll and then place reserves one at a time. I had to show him in the rulebook FAQ that you roll for all of them, and then deploy as you choose per the IC squad, and undedicated transport arrive part of that FAQ.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you this is significantly wrong. You roll seperatly for each FOC slot. So while transports come on with their unit (see my above musings on Deep Striking Land Raiders) you won't have all of your reserves coming on in the same turn, barring some special rule. (e.g. Capt. Lysander)

pookie
04-02-2008, 13:34
Diagonally doesn't make for a shorter trip than a straight line, it will make for a longer trip, aggording to Pythagorus. Plus he said that the model being changed hadn't moved, so the prince would have gotten 3 x 6" to make 24".

maybe according to Pythagorus, but it does work ( maybe its more down to the opponent also moving?) although i will admit i miss read what was first posted, hence my calculations dont quite work...

squiggoth
04-02-2008, 14:12
if you move diagonaly you end up closer than if you move in straight lines.

<---- There's my "WTF??" moment. ;)

Xenobane
04-02-2008, 14:18
maybe according to Pythagorus...

Yeah, what did he know? :D

pookie
04-02-2008, 14:27
<---- There's my "WTF??" moment. ;)

im surprised you guys/gals hadnt realised this when playing, movement in straight lines is the quickest way between two points, i wont say anything against that, but its a weird thing that does work - especially when you consider your still moving in a straight line.

(i'l have to dig out a WD that even advises this as a tactic if you all wnat proof.)

Critias
04-02-2008, 14:28
maybe according to Pythagorus, but it does work ( maybe its more down to the opponent also moving?) although i will admit i miss read what was first posted, hence my calculations dont quite work...
No, really. It doesn't work.

pookie
04-02-2008, 14:33
No, really. It doesn't work.

see my post above, it does. ( im prob forgetting something about how it works, as i usually do, but as i pointed out above, its in a WD as a sneeky tactic, so i'll dig it out for you all then you can see for yourselves)

AanAllein
04-02-2008, 14:39
a) anyone who can draw on a piece of paper can see your diagonal argument makes no sense

b) you can't use a psychic power and a force weapon in the same turn if you use the psychic power first - it's possible you can if you use the force weapon first however - i can't think of any powers an asp sorc can get off the top of my head that make this useful though. force weapon's entry states you can't use it if you've used a psychic power this turn, which is a shame, as otherwise warptime plus force weapon would be a nice combo

Xenobane
04-02-2008, 14:42
im surprised you guys/gals hadnt realised this when playing, movement in straight lines is the quickest way between two points, i wont say anything against that, but its a weird thing that does work - especially when you consider your still moving in a straight line.

(i'l have to dig out a WD that even advises this as a tactic if you all wnat proof.)

Ok there's a confusion about the arguement going on here -

Of course you're right in saying that a straight line is the quickest way between two points. What people are saying here is that if you have a set-up like this:

A

B- - - - - C

Then A-B is shorter than A-C. Therefore diagonal movement from one deployment zone to another will take you longer than moving parallel to the short table edge.

pookie
04-02-2008, 14:45
a) anyone who can draw on a piece of paper can see your diagonal argument makes no sense

well look at it like this:

Unit A......................

......................Unit B

which is the quickest way to get Unit A into combat with Unit B, buy moving straight down then accross ( as in verticly, then horizontaly ) or Diagonally....

**edited again**

it works because as your opponent moves straight towards your force, those units that are off to the left/right actually have the distance closed between the two points, meaning that Diagonaly moves do make your forces move seemingly further.

** edited again...**
@ Xenonbane, i agree thats right, but if you imaging A is a Rhino, as it moves towards you it closes the distance, meaning that a diagonal move does work out better than a straight line would.

i seem to remember this applys more to fantasy than 40K ( due to using blocks of troops rather than skirmish style) but its still applicable.

Lame Duck
04-02-2008, 14:47
see my post above, it does. ( im prob forgetting something about how it works, as i usually do, but as i pointed out above, its in a WD as a sneeky tactic, so i'll dig it out for you all then you can see for yourselves)

The shortest distance between two points is always a straight line, unless you come across a fifth dimension or something.

By the way, straight doesn't mean it has to be parrallel with the table edge, just that you go..straight.. towards the enemy without turning, it can't BE anything other than the shortest distance.

Happy
04-02-2008, 14:58
If I am reading correctly, what Pookie is saying is that if the DP moves 6", then his opponent moves 6" toward the DP there can be a turn 2 charge.

Of course, if the opponent does not move toward the DP, a turn 2 charge can't happen.

Happy
04-02-2008, 14:59

The the shortest distance between those two is a straight line...a line drawn between unit a and unit B. In this drawing it looks "diagonal" but it's still a straight line.

pookie
04-02-2008, 15:07
If I am reading correctly, what Pookie is saying is that if the DP moves 6", then his opponent moves 6" toward the DP there can be a turn 2 charge.

Of course, if the opponent does not move toward the DP, a turn 2 charge can't happen.

yes thats what im saying! wow took some time to get there (meant in the best possible way folks, why i couldnt just say that to start with, well how about thats my :wtf: moment!) .

to rest: its Semantics then really isnt it.

jfrazell
04-02-2008, 15:30

You argued that for an hour? Why? I don't know the rule either (never actually seen an Apoth on the field) but it should be right there or FAQ'd or rolled off. Thats an hour of my life I would want back. Regardless of whetehr you won or not, you lost Doc :cries:

As team Clinton would say, I feel your pain...

squiggoth
04-02-2008, 19:40
well look at it like this:

which is the quickest way to get Unit A into combat with Unit B, by moving straight down then accross ( as in verticly, then horizontaly ) or Diagonally....

But that's only "diagonally" when compared to the edges of the gaming table. It's not a diagonal, since it's the shortest possible route (which is never the diagonal in a right-angled triangle).

Look at it like this:

Mr. Ork and Mr. Beakie spot eachother whilst taking a stroll on a table top.
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p147/squiggothgreenskins/StraightLine001.jpg

Mr. Ork decides to give the foul-mouthed Mr. Beakie a krumping.
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p147/squiggothgreenskins/StraightLine002.jpg

In order to krump Mr. Beakie, Mr. Ork moves the shortest possible route towards Mr. Beakie.
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p147/squiggothgreenskins/StraightLine003a.jpg

That move would seem like a diagonal if you consider the borders of the gaming board to be the straight sides of an imaginary triangle, with Mr. Ork's line of movement as the diagonal:
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p147/squiggothgreenskins/StraightLine003b.jpg

... But since Mr. Ork is moving along the shortest path, he must be moving in a straight line since diagonals are always longer, in other words along one of the imaginary triangles' straight sides:
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p147/squiggothgreenskins/StraightLine003c.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p147/squiggothgreenskins/StraightLine003d.jpg

See? ;)

starlight
04-02-2008, 20:03
I think your Sig sums it up quite accurately.;)

Mitheral
04-02-2008, 21:00

Also related: If your unit has a 6" move and 6" charge and I couldn't rapid fire them last round; you can't charge me this round.

Caboose123
04-02-2008, 23:15
Wow, this has gone off topic...

This was your example, saying that the shortest distance from A to B is a straight line rather than diagnol (a- Quotes suck! b-Spelling sucks!)

How can unit A get to Unit B in a diagnol line? Tracing 1 line from A to B there is only 1 way, it will be a straight line, but diagnol across the board *head explodes*
(Yes i know the shortest point between 2 lines is a straight line, that has been said many many many times here...)

In short, your both right/wrong, lets all go on topic.... eh?

Snorphel
04-02-2008, 23:49
On topic again:

My hormagaunts got beaten in h-t-h by a squad of terminators. They broke and fled into some dangerous terrain (losing one of their number iirc).

The terminators then moved, fired and charged 'into' the remaining hormagaunts. Now comes the WFT - the guy with the terminators stopped them right at the edge of the dangerous terrain. They could actually reach two gaunts that were just inside it - and he claimed that his terminators were standing at the edge - not testing for the terrain at all - poking in with their powerfists...

Well...

Prince Facestab
05-02-2008, 00:31
Squiggoth, that was the most awesome thing ever.

On topic, not so much a rules interpretation as modeling interpretation. This guy had a Leman Russ Demolisher with had four guardsmen, one on each corner of the tank. When I asked what they were, he said "Those are the track guards."

The resulting image in my mind was something going in to immobilize the tank, and the Track Guards saying "Hey, you're not supposed be be here. Move along, now."

I didn't correct him.

Serg. Lynchbox
05-02-2008, 01:32
I played with one of my friends who was in my football team with 3 other guys who I knew well. We were playing at his house and was going to stay all night. After watching 300, we started up a humongous 6,000 pts ea. It was me Vs. all 3 of them.

So as I played my IG and Iron Warriors against Nate (big football player) , Jeff and Chris. It was slow and miserable game. Nate had his Eldar character made invincible.he declared that Uriel has a special ability called "Master Strategist"which gave him a 2+ invulnerable save against my lascannons!

After some yelling and fighting he picked me up and started cussing at me. I'm not a small guy, 6'2 and 180 pounds (Tackle for football team) while a 6" 265 pound Nate (Guard for for football team) tried to get me in a head lock.

It almost got into a fight but ended cause I was being the bigger person after literally being picked up by the bigger person.

I can't remember what other stupid rules or cheats Jeff and Nate had but I won at the end left with 3/4 of my army still on the table while I crushed the cheaters :evilgrin:

Blitz 7
05-02-2008, 02:31
I guess your buddy wasn't into Arthur's axiom " Might 4 right."

EmperorEternalXIX
05-02-2008, 02:50

Poor kid just couldn't get his head round the Instant Death not being preventable, as he was hung up on his Invulnerable Save. Kind of reminded me of people on the web, obsessed with the rule confirming their interpretation, rather than just reading what is there! Actually I think that's right. The Apothecary power lets you ignore a failed save so the fact that he got an invul and failed it means he can live, because it basically just makes it like you passed the save.

Varath- Lord Impaler
05-02-2008, 02:56
No, an Invulnerable save isnt an armour save. If a weapon ignores your armour save, then you cant save it with an apothecary

EmperorEternalXIX
05-02-2008, 03:11
Space Marines dex says "A failed save (of any sort)."

...but, retardly, in the very next sentence says it can't work against armor-ignoring weapons, or instant death...so looks like you guys got me on that one.

Of course, having the book just solved that debate in five seconds... man, enough people don't bring their codices.

My favorite rule confusion is about partials.

"What is it, half the base?"
"It's touching the tip of his gun/tail/arm!"
"That's totally not even over him!"

Nobody seems to know those rules for sure, most of the time. I love flamer template arguments...
"It's touching his arm! That's a hit!"
Then later in the same game, the same dude is yelling that "No no templates have to be over the base!"

The worst is ordnance hits...

FIRING PLAYER: "Okay, so 5 fulls, 3 partials?"
PLAYER BEING FIRED AT: "No...it's 3 partials, 1 full"

That reminds me -- anybody got any good techniques for dealing with ordnance spazzing? Maybe ways to definitively know the template's hits/partials?

Desert thunder
05-02-2008, 03:12
well here is one on me when I first started playing 40k I decided to get a Vanquisher because my friend (playing with Tau) went and got A Devil Fish which at that time was a huge threat cause my squads were massed infantry so I went and had a look at the GW website for armoured company information and there it was Leman Russ Vanquisher which was exzctly what I needed so I went and moded my existing leman russ that I bought that day turns out I thought the Vanquisher had strength ten but it didn't when I looked again on the website it said that I role two dice so now my tank is now a prime target cause it would demolish all the enemy vehicles.

Bunnahabhain
05-02-2008, 09:57
The worst is ordnance hits...

FIRING PLAYER: "Okay, so 5 fulls, 3 partials?"
PLAYER BEING FIRED AT: "No...it's 3 partials, 1 full"

That reminds me -- anybody got any good techniques for dealing with ordnance spazzing? Maybe ways to definitively know the template's hits/partials?

If you don't have a third party to call it, then just try and comprimise. Deal with the models under the blast one at a time, and call them in, out or partial, and split the difference between what you get to.

That and make sure it's centred properly, and people are looking staright down on it, or at least from the same angle and side of board. Most diasagreements over LOS, blast hits etc arise as people are looking at them from different angles.

Feor
05-02-2008, 11:29

5" diameter bowling ball to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt what's hit for anyone who won't see reason? ;)

Deus Mechanicus
05-02-2008, 13:18
No, an Invulnerable save isnt an armour save. If a weapon ignores your armour save, then you cant save it with an apothecary

"Model to ignore a failed Save (of any sort). It is, however, of no use against an attack that causes instant Death or a close combat attack that ignores Armour Saves."

But that's the Dark Angels codex, so some times you can use it to ignore a failed invulnerable save or cover save as long as it doesn't cause instant Death or is a close combat attack.

Draconian77
05-02-2008, 13:45
These posts make me think the game would be easier without the rules...

Straight lines ftw.

Hmm, I think the worst ones are the Tyranid Carnifexes which regenerate after they die(Not counting OOE). Its dead Timmy, live with it!(Bad choice of words I agree)

mechu95
05-02-2008, 13:59
I go WTF all the time ever since I started the hobby :)

five01st
05-02-2008, 15:50
We live in a kinda secluded area for WH, and I can safely say there is one shop in this country and most of the surrounding countries, and, thankfully, the one and only shop, is in the city I live in. So most people don't save up for the master Rule Book, but I got it after arguments like the following.

A friend was ABSOLUTELY convinced that in CC, models with PF/PW/etc. use one attack with said weapon, then finish the rest of the attacks with normal CCW. Eg. SM Commander 4 attacks from PW & BoltP. In CC, makes 1 PW attack and 3 attacks at Str. 4 AP -. So, that means if a SM Commander had a Thunder Hammer, and swung at a Carnifex, he would take one swing, drop his weapon, take out his pistol and start beating the 'fex with a Bolt Pistol. 'Cause you know... its all heroics and such.

Had a guy say that the Extra Armour upgrade on his Russ gave it +1 armour on all sides, totalling for Front AV 15, Side 13, Rear 11. Same guy also said that his Catachan Snipers are setting up behind your deployment area. Also said that the Hunter-Killer Missile upgrade effectively worked as a Missile Launcher, able to fire 1 Krak missile AND 1 Frag missile PER TURN!

Again, someone interpreted the rules for Tau Drones that incoming fire of a single weapon type can ALL be allocated to the Drones. Eg. I fire 20 Hellguns, 4 Plasma shots, 1 Melta shot from a Kasrkin squad into 1 commander with 2 gundrones. Tau player may elect either ALL 14 Hellguns, or ALL 4 Plasma, or 1 Melta to both Drones. I tried explaining to him that 2 drones cannot PHYSICALLY block 14 SHOTS! Thus X number of Drones can ONLY block X number of shots of ONE kind. Because he tried to allocate all 4 Plasma shots to the Drones, I decided that in the next turn, Ill roll 14 Hellguns first, instead of the Special Weapons first (I only had 15 dice), and forced him to shield with Drones first.
Same guy also said there was NO such thing as Instant-Death, AND get a friend to confirm. Both of them did NOT have a rule book.

Rioghan Murchadha
05-02-2008, 16:49
you need to re read the dex mate ( cant do you a page numb) but MoT does let you use two powers, but these cannot be the same shooting one/two shooting ones, hence you can use a power and the FW in the same turn..

Here you go, the absolutely only reference to the Mark of Tzeentch with reference to psychic powers in the chaos marine codex.

P88 first para:
"A psyker may only attempt to use one psychic power per turn. The only exception to this is a model with the Mark of Tzeentch, which can attempt to use up to two psychic powers per player turn (but not two powers that both count as firing a weapon, as models can only fire one weapon per shooting phase)."

Note there is nothing there superceding the BGB rules on force weapons, which explicitly state that you CANNOT use another psychic power in the same turn you use a force weapon.

Ahriman has a special exemption from both rules in his character entry. He may use multiple powers that count as shooting, or use his force weapon in the same turn. It's still a WTF thing.

Teran
05-02-2008, 17:11
The way I have seen tournaments run is that to assault you must effectively be 5.9X inches away. 6 inches is a maybe but often actually comes out to be 6.XX inches which means you would not be able to assault. Even if you had a unit that can move and assault 24" (combined) technically in most cases you still should not get the assault on turn two unless your opponent was very precisely on or slightly over the edge of their deployment zone.

My wtf moments tend to happen whenever I play a necron player. I have studied their rules and know them in and out and it drives me nuts when he tries to use his WBB roll after I've wiped out all of a certain unit.

DartzIRL
05-02-2008, 18:03
To me, the worst was:

"No way that Basilisk can fire indirect, it's not WYSIWIG, the Earthshaker cannon can't point up, it's glued down to direct fire. Now take it off, and I'm putting my dead terminators back on..."

By me, the most bewildering was:

"Oh, so it's not move and shoot once up to twelve inches anymore" -after doing it for the entire game, before a polite redshirt reminded me the rules had changed...

In fact, I'm notorious for slipping into Third Ed. mode in the middle of a game, especially during assaults.

Freakiq
05-02-2008, 18:29
The first battle I ever played I had my Inquisitor Lord fire 3 times per shooting phase with his Inferno Pistol because that's how many attacks he had in his profile.

ReveredChaplainDrake
05-02-2008, 21:11
The Commissar and the Inquisitor who chooses to fail his Leadership check was kinda' funny...

One time, somebody told me, after destroying my Land Raider Crusader w/ Terminators inside, that I couldn't use the rear hatches to escape and hide behind the tank's wreckage. (Like many sane people, I put the Hurricane Bolters on the front ports so as not to penalize the range, and so I could do just this.) According to this person, I assembled my Crusader differently than it was on its picture in the codex, and the rear ports couldn't be used. Thus my Terminators had to deploy out the front hatch. Oh yeah, right out in front of an army that hasn't shot yet.

Another funny one I've heard of is a Vindicator w/ Dozer Blades (3rd ed, back when they stuck out a whole half-inch from the chassis and looked tragically under-sized, more like something off a Tonka truck) getting shot by a Meltagun or something. The gun only has range to the Dozer Blade, so the Vindicator player says the Melta is out of range. Now the Melta clearly has range to the blade, but not the tank, so the Vindicator player picks up his tank and snaps the Dozer Blade clean off before putting it back and declaring the Meltagun out of range.

Finally, a Necron player who is always a good sport informed me that Monstrous Creatures that charge into CC have to charge the closest model... and stop there, even if the model had surplus movement to reach extra models in addition to the closest as well. In this way, the killzone on his Warriors was like two or three models, and a single casualty means no pursuit roll. While he ended up with a huge advantage with this rule, he was shredding me anyway so I didn't bother arguing it.

Caboose123
05-02-2008, 21:18
@ReveredChaplainDrake

Your last one should be ommitted, it will cause a debate if "a certain someone"* sees it, and can be argued both ways.

*- I think his name is Azimaith...

Lord of Skulls
05-02-2008, 21:27
Finally, a Necron player who is always a good sport informed me that Monstrous Creatures that charge into CC have to charge the closest model... and stop there, even if the model had surplus movement to reach extra models in addition to the closest as well. In this way, the killzone on his Warriors was like two or three models, and a single casualty means no pursuit roll. While he ended up with a huge advantage with this rule, he was shredding me anyway so I didn't bother arguing it.
Well, he was right... When assaulting the first model you move always has to be the one closest to the enemy, and he has to charge the closest model. He can, however, position himself anywhere he has movement to, as long as he is in base contact with the that model.

Funniest thing I've seen must be the kid who thought his assault Terminators had jump packs :)

Snorphel
05-02-2008, 21:30
Another funny one I've heard of is a Vindicator w/ Dozer Blades (3rd ed, back when they stuck out a whole half-inch from the chassis and looked tragically under-sized, more like something off a Tonka truck) getting shot by a Meltagun or something. The gun only has range to the Dozer Blade, so the Vindicator player says the Melta is out of range. Now the Melta clearly has range to the blade, but not the tank, so the Vindicator player picks up his tank and snaps the Dozer Blade clean off before putting it back and declaring the Meltagun out of range.

Hmmm, that's really interesting! ... The answer would be to notice that the tonka's gun is still in range - then pick it up, snap off the gun, put the thing back and announce the guy that his vindicator is now a rhino.

One funny thing - playing Necromunda - I had was a guy that shot at one of my models down through open stairs - he missed. When my model aimed back at the model he informed me that I did not have line of sight - because the model's base was blocking the view...

Shield of Freedom
05-02-2008, 21:39
-happend in fantasy.10 furies charge my cannon and i decide to stand and shoot.The opponents face was unforgetable.

I hope this was a moment where you forgot the rules or got them wrong.

War Machines can't "stand and shoot."

oops....

MasterDecoy
05-02-2008, 21:57
Again, someone interpreted the rules for Tau Drones that incoming fire of a single weapon type can ALL be allocated to the Drones. Eg. I fire 20 Hellguns, 4 Plasma shots, 1 Melta shot from a Kasrkin squad into 1 commander with 2 gundrones. Tau player may elect either ALL 14 Hellguns, or ALL 4 Plasma, or 1 Melta to both Drones. I tried explaining to him that 2 drones cannot PHYSICALLY block 14 SHOTS! Thus X number of Drones can ONLY block X number of shots of ONE kind. Because he tried to allocate all 4 Plasma shots to the Drones, I decided that in the next turn, Ill roll 14 Hellguns first, instead of the Special Weapons first (I only had 15 dice), and forced him to shield with Drones first.

You have to roll all your shooting before he starts to save, becouse he gets to allocate all the shots before he rolls for saves (they are all rolled symaltaniously). meaning he could potentially block all the melta and plasma shots onto the drones, if there was enough surplus shots to lap around again of course, he would of course still have to allocate some shots onto his commander though.

The_Outsider
05-02-2008, 22:23

That is quite possibly the most amazing thing I have ever heard.

"Hey I can see your trukk's grabba arm!"
"Oh yeah?"
*ork player proceedes to snap the grabba arm clean off and throw it calmly over his shoulder*
"Check again, I think you're out of range :) "

Grimtuff
05-02-2008, 22:43
To me, the worst was:

"No way that Basilisk can fire indirect, it's not WYSIWIG, the Earthshaker cannon can't point up, it's glued down to direct fire. Now take it off, and I'm putting my dead terminators back on..."

Even moreso as Earthshaker cannons are AP3. I'm not certain how you killed that many Terminators with it then..... :eyebrows:

llama rider
05-02-2008, 22:43
I would make fun of some of the things that happen at my local store, except for the fact that I say and do just as many dumb things.

azimaith
06-02-2008, 00:28
@ReveredChaplainDrake

Your last one should be ommitted, it will cause a debate if "a certain someone"* sees it, and can be argued both ways.

*- I think his name is Azimaith...
See i'm not the only one :P

Seriously though, play it how you like, the rules are badly written and easily read in multiple ways.

MALICIOUS LOGIC
06-02-2008, 02:35
I played a guy that took the “a shot scatters in the direction of the arrow” very literally.

He rolled for ordinance. Then where ever the scatter dice landed is the direction he scattered the shot. (Not the direction of the arrow)… But the direction of the dice with the arrow on it.

For instance, if the scatter dice literally drifted behind his troops… that’s where the shot went. He quite literally scattered towards the arrow (regardless of where the arrow was pointing).

On a brief aside: The event organizers tried to be overly politically-correct. They used the old “Well, I can see where you’re both coming from”, instead of telling the guy that he was wrong. In the end, the guy still thought he was right because no one would tell him that he was wrong.

~Logic

Copenhagan
06-02-2008, 03:56
I don't really have any rules stories but this is what I would do if someone started being a idiot about "special" rules.

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php

Thurizdan
06-02-2008, 04:22
Mine are from WFB. Two friends of mine learned to play from the 5th and 6th edition books at the same time and got thoroughly confused about the magic rules. It was decided that they could store power dice and dispel dice at the end of their turn. The games they played went on until every model was dead on one side. So they ended up hording their dice, neither side advnacing, and then casting 4 spells at once with like 60 power dice and the other guy would be like "dispel scroll" and vice versa and they'd start again.

An opponent of mine once said he was casting warp lightning onto his warp lightning cannon which would make it fire twice and then Skitterleap it to one side of the enemy line and then taking two ranks of every unit. I let him so long as I could cast Flames of the Phoenix on my Phoenix Guard and make them cause impact hits with a fireball bound spell. Our games get kinda silly.

Metaphorazine
06-02-2008, 13:08
I don't really have any rules stories but this is what I would do if someone started being a idiot about "special" rules.

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php

Direct link, in case it changes. Uber-unit FTW! (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20080206)

vyper
06-02-2008, 21:06
In fact, I'm notorious for slipping into Third Ed. mode in the middle of a game, especially during assaults.

Ah, good to know that I'm not the only one, thankfully my gaming group has a rather vague grasp of the rules, so as long as no arguments come up, the game is played as some sordid love-child of 3rd and 4th ed. During arguments, the rules are pulled out.

We make excellent use of "The Most Important Rule".

the_red_guard
06-02-2008, 21:22
i was battling against a kid at my store about half a year ago, i had just finished painting some Grey knights (troops) and he asked if he could field them in his chaos army...against all fluff and common sense i agreed, mainly because it was a friendly match and partly because i didn't care.

The staff members became interested in this and started to watch, after about 3 turns (my eldar by this point having wiped out a good 1/3 his force), he states that his Grey knight 'Terminators' are going to charge my scorps...i have to tell you i had no idea Grey knight Armour was like some crazy uber Armour that could change into terminator Armour in 1 turn.

It took me the good part of an hour to argue him down that they were not terminators, quite clearly just normal marines and that the rest of his chaos force were grots.

pookie
07-02-2008, 14:32
i was battling against a kid at my store about half a year ago, i had just finished painting some Grey knights (troops) and he asked if he could field them in his chaos army...against all fluff and common sense i agreed, mainly because it was a friendly match and partly because i didn't care.

The staff members became interested in this and started to watch, after about 3 turns (my eldar by this point having wiped out a good 1/3 his force), he states that his Grey knight 'Terminators' are going to charge my scorps...i have to tell you i had no idea Grey knight Armour was like some crazy uber Armour that could change into terminator Armour in 1 turn.

It took me the good part of an hour to argue him down that they were not terminators, quite clearly just normal marines and that the rest of his chaos force were grots.

and whilst you argued the staff said what?

Firaxin
07-02-2008, 14:49
I think he was arguing with the staff.

simplemindedfish
10-02-2008, 08:56
Top moment. Last weekend. A friend of mine picks up my Defiler, has a look at it, and then says,
"Nice Land Raider." 'twas a sad day indeed. Later that day he failed to understand the a WHFB Orc & Gobbo Giant doesn't use 40k vehicle rules.

brightblade
11-02-2008, 22:51
Just wanted to say that the 'diagonal debate' was hilarious. And agree that it is the best wtf moment i have seen for ages. Congratulations to everybody involved.....
(especially Squiggoth)

Necrotyr18
17-02-2008, 02:58
Is this all we could think of, you disgust me.

Keep it going this is entertaining.

Carlos
17-02-2008, 09:57
This thread only serves to validate my self-imposed ban on playing games at my local GW.

Most of the things I saw back in the 90's involved red shirts being ******s. Take for example my friend who took his newly painted (and released) terminator librarian down for a sort of good vs evil free for all. He promptly used his force axe to kill an enemy lictor and just said 'nyer nyer' to him because he had been talking up his lictor all game.
The redshirt got angry, took the librarian off the field and told him it was dead :wtf:

Suffice to say we've never been back to play anything in over 12 years.

Varath- Lord Impaler
17-02-2008, 11:11
This thread only serves to validate my self-imposed ban on playing games at my local GW.

Most of the things I saw back in the 90's involved red shirts being ******s. Take for example my friend who took his newly painted (and released) terminator librarian down for a sort of good vs evil free for all. He promptly used his force axe to kill an enemy lictor and just said 'nyer nyer' to him because he had been talking up his lictor all game.
The redshirt got angry, took the librarian off the field and told him it was dead

Suffice to say we've never been back to play anything in over 12 years.

I dont get these stories.

This isnt because he is a redshirt. Its because he is a Dick.

I play exclusively at my Local GW and it is inhabited by some of the most dedicated, FUN individuals to ever play Citadel games.

Mankov
17-02-2008, 12:00
One guy at a local store tried to argue that models with Mark of Slaanesh get to swing Power Fist attacks at I 2, since the Mark of Slaanesh gives you +1 I. I tried to tell him that the Mark indeed improves the Initiative in the Unit's profile, however Power Fist always attack at I 1 as written in the Power Fist Special Rules and do not use the units profile initiative at all. He only reluctantly believed me.

Same guy refused to believe that Chaos Space Marine Bikers with the Icon of Nurgle do have T 4 (6), because "T 6 is reserved for Monstrous Creatures". (in his defense, this rule did exist in one volume of 'In Nonime Imperatoris', however these books are very old (around 3rd ed. times, not sure on this one.)

FrankManic
17-02-2008, 14:11
Another WTF encountered regularly is not a rules misinterpretation as such, but is about line of sight. Quite a few fellows out there sure like to bend their rulers around corners, and can argue for minutes when i state that "well, I think 2 of my rangers here can see your squad over there" and after a while I get him to come around to my side of the table and look from the models view, and then he lets me shoot, but still calls me a whiner.

I'm pretty bad about line of sight myself. I went out and purchased a laser pointer in order to shut myself up. If my opponent can draw a line from his unit to mine with the laser, who am I to argue with physics?