PDA

View Full Version : Southlands Army Help

Lord Brrrp
03-02-2008, 19:03
For all you lizardmen generals who have played a Southlands list, I need help.

How do you protect your slaan?

Has anyone used skink cohorts?

Horned One riders look promisng but Southland lists need units that can take out ranks. How do you fit them in or do you?

The_Dragon_Rising
03-02-2008, 19:38
General pointers with southlands. The sole reason they are good is because of the 2 skinks as lords. Slaan in SL's is sub-par to slaan normally, cohorts are skinks with even worse survivability than normal, HOR are more of a joke than COR.

If you seriously want to play southlands the best list looks something like:
5 Lvl 2 skink priests w/Tepok, 1 DD,1 Diadem
6*10 skink skimishers 2 w/shortbows, 4 w/scout, blowpipes
2*3 Salamanders
Rest of points on krox, terradons, or what you want.

Quite powergamey but its the only way it is better than a normal list.

Lord Brrrp
03-02-2008, 20:18
Here is my thought:

Slan 5th Generation
Battle Standard
Bane Head
Diadem
Tepok

2 Level 1 Skink Priests
Both with Tepok Spawning
Blood Statuette on one

Characters will assassinate enemy mage via magic (8 PD 8 DD) using default spells that target individual characters and the bane head to double wounds.

CORE:
6 x 10 skirmishing skinks
3 x 10 scout skinks
(Debating bows or blowpipes)

20 Skink cohorts (SB and Musician) Cheap CR. The Slaan can jump into the unit if need be and go in the front rank. Sure, it won't wound anything but there is only room for contact with 2 skinks. Chances are you won't go beyond the CR (and that will allow the slaan not to break).

SPECIAL:
4 Kroxigor
3 Kroxigor
3 Terradons

Rare
3 Salamanders
1 Stegadon

The_Dragon_Rising
03-02-2008, 20:25
Well you should always upgrade to 4th gen Slaan, there is no reason to realistically use a 5th or 3rd gen one. I don't like the sniping characters idea but it could work.

90 skinks os too much for 2K, you will not have the board room to make it realistically work, try 60 and i usually find that bows to blowpipes in southlands works best at 1/2

Cohorts will be cheap CR...for your opponent, bretonnian peasents would have no problem killing your T2 skinks and anything slightly beardy will slaughter them. Slaan in that unit is just you saying. Please, please slaughter me in combat and leave me to get run down.

Thats just my thoughts but there you go- it is after all your money and your army.

Cragspyder
03-02-2008, 21:24
I'm making a Southlands list too! I wanted to put my Slann with the Skink cohorts but then I decided I didn't want to suck THAT much on the table. He is pretty darn vulnerable in the Cohorts and quite a bit outside of them too.

You do really need lots of Skinks. Make at least 1 unit scouts, most Lizardmen say blowpipes for everything but I am using shortbows because I still have the models left over from 5th edition :)

One of the good points is indeed that you can fit 5 characters in the list. Make sure you grab the Sacred Stegadon Helm for the General and have at least 2 Skink Priests.

Skink Cohorts suck, to be perfectly frank, but I am going to use them anyways just for the sake of it. The only good thing about them is their movement of 6, which makes them pretty much the fastest ranked unit in the game I believe. If you really want to try to make them effective, I would try to give them Spawning of Huanchi (makes em Special, but your core should be full of Skirmishers anyways) so they ignore woods as well as water (for being Aquatic) and you might have a chance to win combats in the flank. I am sticking my General in my unit of Cohorts.

Horned One Riders also honestly suck, they are T 2 Fast Cavalry that costs 21 points after all. However, I am going to try using a unit or 2 of them as well. Once again, they have a couple of interesting attributes: they cause Fear, they hit a little harder then most Fast Cav (2 S4 as opposed to 2 S3 or 1 S4 and 1 S3) and, most importantly, they can take a Blessed Spawning without making them a Rare Choice. I would go with Sotek (3 S4 attacks on the charge is pretty good for Fast Cav) or Huanchi (to flank things through the woods once again).

You will have to support your Skink Skirmishers well though. A unit of Kroxigor is MANDATORY for a list like this (not even joking, you need to hit hard with something, not to mention the synergy with Skinks). Terradons might be eschewed if you bring a Scout Chief that can attack War Machines, but I like the models. Salamanders are too good not to bring and fit the theme. I am also bringing a Stegadon to add more hard hitting stuff to the army and to lure fire away from the Kroxigor.

I will send you the list I am intending to build if you want, just private message me.

EDIT: Seems like you'd already thought of most of the things I've mentioned. I really recommend taking a normal Lustria list if you want the Slann, though.

Conotor
04-02-2008, 01:30
General pointers with southlands. The sole reason they are good is because of the 2 skinks as lords. Slaan in SL's is sub-par to slaan normally, cohorts are skinks with even worse survivability than normal, HOR are more of a joke than COR.

Err... Cold one riders are awsom. I can smash threw average infantry, and crush other troops like ogers. With Huanchis they can outcherge most cavalry. Stupidity is a 1 in 4 games thing.

The_Dragon_Rising
04-02-2008, 06:32
Err... Cold one riders are awsom. I can smash threw average infantry, and crush other troops like ogers. With Huanchis they can outcherge most cavalry. Stupidity is a 1 in 4 games thing.

T2, lack of armour, seriously they drop like flys. Sure, IF, you can get into combat, they MIGHT kill something but otherwise it is 21 points for a flanker.

Mouchliazo
04-02-2008, 11:58
Actually, I think that Conotor was refering to the Cold one riders from the standard lizardmen list, while you were refering to the Horned-one riders.
Personally, I like both, but I've only played one game with Horned one riders.

tanis
04-02-2008, 12:06
I could be wrong here but if memory serves me right, Horned one riders ,and saurus cold one riders amount to the samething in combat.
The sum number of attacks are generated differently.
The SCR get 2 attacks str 4 from the rider and 1 str 4 from the mount whilst the Horned rider only gets 1 St 3 (Str 4 on the charge with spear), and 2 str 4 from the mount.

Its just a balance of speed,armour saves, and fast cav, rules....
(and the horned ones are cheaper!)

Cragspyder
05-02-2008, 00:59
Cold One Riders and Horned One Riders have extremely different uses.

Cold One Riders have 2 S 5 attacks and 1 S 4 on the charge, T 4, a 3+ AS, LD 8(or 9, I forget) and they are not Fast Cav. They can take a magic banner but not a Spawning.

Horned One Riders have 2 S 4 attacks on the charge, T 2, a 5+ AS, Ld 5, and they are Fast Cav. They are 14 points cheaper then Cold One Riders. They can take a Spawning but not a Magic Banner.

Pretty much the only similarity is that they both cause Fear and are US 2 per model.

Very, very different uses involved (or arguably, non-uses, in the case of the Horned One Riders, because they are really not very good). But normal Cold One Riders (from the Lustria list) are very good.