PDA

View Full Version : Power Dice Junky

W0lf
03-02-2008, 20:59
Now i know this sounds strange but i have a real problem when writing army lists.

I started my fantasy career with a 15 PD Tzeentch army and since then i cant write a 2K list without at least 10 PD.

Anyone else had this problem?

Ive tried playing no magic or low magic and its just so.. so.. unwholesome.

Magic makes the game for me.

fubukii
03-02-2008, 22:13
well i dont know if i share your problem my usual 2k skaven army wonly wields 9pd, from 3 warlocks, i say it depends on what army you play, surely if you play chaos khorne, you wont have any power dice, same with dwarves :)

Kahadras
03-02-2008, 22:19
Nope. However I am building a magic heavy Empire army at the present moment. As it stands I have...

A Wizard lord (4 dice)
A Battle wizard (2 dice) with The Rod of Power (1-3 dice)
A warrior priest (1 bound spell) and The Silver Horn (bound spell)
A Captain with The Doomfire Ring (bound spell)

So as it stands I have eight power dice (plus an extra 1 to 3) and three bound spells. On the whole I prefer combat over magic though and even my old Undead army was led by a Blood Dragon Vampire.

Kahadras

theunwantedbeing
03-02-2008, 22:32
My dark elf army has 9 powerdice.
It's a 2k list, 1 level 4 mage and a level 2 for backup.

My 1.5k list has 3 level 2 mages in, so also gets 9 powerdice.

My tzeentch army tends to have anywhere upto 21 powerdice.
Havent used that in ages though....my 1.5k list has 14 dice.

Lyonator
04-02-2008, 07:30
I played a whole lot of Greenskin shamanhammer when I first started, but don't currently have any problems with my lack of Power dice...
then again, I play WE now, so there isn't much point in going overboard with the magic phase.
(not that the Lore of Athel Loren sucks... just that it is almost purely support for your troops, so spending too many points on it is counterproductive, especially since the Asrai don't have the standard Elven casting perks... you can max out on WE power dice, and your opponent is probably not going to care, unless you talk them into using an all forest table.)

sulla
04-02-2008, 07:41
Can't say I suffer that problem. My useless elven troops are only s3. They need all the assisstance in cc they can get so I have at least 2 cc characters in any DE army i make.

Dominatrix
04-02-2008, 07:55
I wouldn't think of it as a problem. It depends on your favourite playstyle really. If magic heavy armies are what you find most fun to use then bucketloads of power dice are only natural (the actual number depending on the army you use).

Lucky24/7
04-02-2008, 08:31
Well I do have a habit of playing either total powerdice ownage or non what so ever. a mean My normall list has no defense what so ever but my GT list (which did gets its ass kick) dose put out the equavilent of 12 power dice (Tomb kings) and is a bit of a magic whore.

Wolfmother
04-02-2008, 15:25
yes total power dice craving is bad personally i play a perfectly balanced skaven army with only 14 power dice.

but i could live without it combat heavy armys work too!

W0lf
04-02-2008, 16:30
But combat heavy is so...

Boring?

The randomness of magic, the dispel vs casting, the way it varies from game to game..

Dunno.

Magic keeps the game fresh for me as no two games involve the same magic phase.

Maybe itd help if i played an army that has ranged support and thus dosnt 'need' magic to support it.

Chaos Mortal
04-02-2008, 16:35
everybody has different preferences in the game but personally i think its what mood your in that changes how you write your list, although unless i am playing my Khorne or Dwarves i like to have around 10 pd in most lists (alot more with Tzeentch)

Thanks, Chaos Mortal

W0lf
04-02-2008, 18:34
Hmm.

the magic phase is so fun!

Its like mini-gambling lol.

Malorian
04-02-2008, 18:38
I think to be fair it must be said that most powerdice junkies aren't in it for the fun, they are in it to overwelm the opponent while sitting back from a safe location. There is only so much magic the opponent can stop and then after that you have full control of the board.

So unless you are one of those players that cast spells with 4 dice then I don't think gambling excuss is valid.

Jack of Blades
04-02-2008, 18:39
Indeed! it can either be wonderful, go right, do nothing or toast your Lord choice (add in other effects here) which is why it's so exciting and funny to use. Plus, it's magic! :)

W0lf
04-02-2008, 18:44
I think to be fair it must be said that most powerdice junkies aren't in it for the fun, they are in it to overwelm the opponent while sitting back from a safe location.

I call BS. I have been called a power gamer and do play with the aim of winning (thats the point)

However i play agreesivly and use magic for fun. if i wanted super competitive itd be Thorek gunline or KF 2 stanks or WE forest spirits. None of them have heavy magic.

Stonerkid655321
04-02-2008, 18:55
I eather go for at least 9 powerdice plus items or just go for magic defense.

Less that 9 powerdice will just get dispelled every turn.

sulla
04-02-2008, 19:14
But combat heavy is so...

Boring?

The randomness of magic, the dispel vs casting, the way it varies from game to game..

Dunno.

Magic keeps the game fresh for me as no two games involve the same magic phase.

Maybe itd help if i played an army that has ranged support and thus dosnt 'need' magic to support it.

Well, if you're playing Tzeench, it's not like you have to decide one or the other is it? You've got magic and combat ability. Besides, some of our lists just don't have enough hittyness in their spell list tio spend 800pts or so on magic. You won't see many successful WE or DE magic heavy lists for example, because they just can't hurt many armies.

Malorian
04-02-2008, 19:47
I call BS. I have been called a power gamer and do play with the aim of winning (thats the point)

However i play agreesivly and use magic for fun. if i wanted super competitive itd be Thorek gunline or KF 2 stanks or WE forest spirits. None of them have heavy magic.

So are you saying you do play the gamble and use four power dice quite often? Or do you load up on magic and blast away the opponent with as many spells as you can while standing back surrounded by chaos troops and chariots who can easily deal with whatever manages to make it's way through the barrage?

This is the difference I'm trying to make. Don't take this as being totally aimed at you, but you comment about it being for the fun of gambling seemed unrealistic for the general people that load up on power dice.

I know when I take a slann and several skinks that it's fun for me as I blast away anything that moves, but I in no way do it for the gambling aspect and it is very much to do with the fact that it is SO powerful. I'm fairly sure this is why other slann players out there do it too, and not for the gambling.

N1AK
04-02-2008, 20:15
My HE army uses Teclis, a lvl 2 and the Banner of Sorcery (8+2D3) power dice, so yes I'm probably a dice junky.

The point some people are making about a lot of heavy magic gamers being in it to win is very true though. My competitive 2k Dwarf build has Thorek and a Runesmith (not a gunline 2 Warmachines and 10 Quarrellers).
So my magic defence is 8 Disp Dice (+ I steal a power dice to make a 9th) and a scroll. The number of Skaven, Lizzie, Tzeentch etc players who take magic heavy lists who moan about 'my' army being cheesy because they can't get the 5 Warp lightnings (or equivalent) a turn they want off is insane.
They seem to think they have a god given right to dominate their opponent in the magic phase, which imo makes for pretty boring games.

ZeroTwentythree
04-02-2008, 20:43
I call BS.

I like that the Warseer glossary defined that for us and let us know you were calling Ballistic Skill. :angel:

The thing with the magic heavy armies, IMHO, is that it's similar to gunlines. The whole discussion above about the gamble & randomness points out how it makes it a game of dice rolls.

Farhbot
05-02-2008, 00:37
Magic provides ranged combat to a Chaos army, the more magic the less you have to stomp in Hth. I've tried magic heavy and troop heavy armys. These battles taught me that if your going to use magic in your army you want lots or it's a waste of points. I would call myself a power dice junky but magic just like a gun line the more power you have the better chance you have of getting a spell off. I've found magic is hit or miss though, if it works, it works great, if not, your opponent has at least spent points to stop your magic phase.

theunwantedbeing
05-02-2008, 00:42
You need to combine magic and combat.
Unlike shooting you need to go kill the enemy defences to make magic work.
I've had such armies that do that be callled beardy and cheesy loads...they did win of course.

kroq'gar
05-02-2008, 00:47
I dont find magic fun.

If it works you get crush your oppoenent, if it fails they crush you. A balanced list vs another balanced list is much more enjoyable.

If you feel you want 10 dice, knock yourself out, but i personally rarely take much magic (exception is the 11 dice lizardman list i thrown in sometimes to stop my gaming group assuming i never take magic).

Normally a lvl 2 wizard and some defense is about as extreme as i go (though my defense in a 2k takes about 7 disp dice).