PDA

View Full Version : The hated peg knights..

Dragon Prince of Caledor
03-02-2008, 21:47
It says that they move as skirmishers. However it doesnt say that they are skirmishers.. This means that they dont get 360 sight right.. It is hardly plausible. they have a slit for an eyehole to look out of and they are on a hard to maneuver freak of nature..

gortexgunnerson
03-02-2008, 22:11
Unfortunately plausibity should never be applied to rules and therefore yes they do have 360 degree line of sight hence can charge in any directions.

This is supported by the fact that they move as skirmishers, and skirmishers have a 360 charge arc.

Masque
03-02-2008, 22:21
The rules for Units of Flyers on page 69 of the BRB say they "operate as skirmishers" not that they merely move as skirmishers.

fubukii
03-02-2008, 22:23
they get 360 los because they are a flying unit page 69 of rulebook saysthey operate as skirmishers

Dendo Star
03-02-2008, 23:34
Keep in mind though that they are NOT -1 To Hit with shooting like standard infantry Skirmishers. They are US2 as they count as calvary, only US 1 Skirmishers/Lone Models get -1 To Hit with shooting.

So light those Peg Knights up!

Dragon Prince of Caledor
07-02-2008, 01:11
Does that mean that they dont negate ranks? Because skirmishers dont. It says taht they move like skirmishers.. moving like skirmishers doesnt necessarily mean that they get the sight that skirmishers get... they are the dumbest unit in the game..

Lyonator
07-02-2008, 01:46
they are the dumbest unit in the game.. yeah, peggy knights are terrible.
:rolleyes:

Griefbringer
07-02-2008, 06:59
It says taht they move like skirmishers.. moving like skirmishers doesnt necessarily mean that they get the sight that skirmishers get... t

If they would not, this would lead to very interesting issues in determining from which model the LoS would be determined, since they could all be facing totally different directions.

Braad
07-02-2008, 08:50
yeah, peggy knights are terrible.
:rolleyes:

Really? I just bring a doom diver, and place a gobbo wolf rider with some crazy magic weapon close in case they might get through.

EvC
07-02-2008, 10:16
I charged them three times with the same Lion Chariot in my game yesterday until I drove them off. Rats with wings, I tells ya.

Gazak Blacktoof
07-02-2008, 10:20
It says taht they move like skirmishers..

As has already been pointed out fliers do not "move like skirmishers", they "operate as skirmishers". This means that they follow all the rules for skirmishers except where noted otherwise.

Units of fliers do move like skirmishers, but this is a small part of all the skirmisher rules that they follow.

Pegasus knights do not negate ranks and they do have a 360 LOS. Pegasus knights are incredibly good.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
07-02-2008, 20:28
We tried a game where each model had his own los and he could position them how he wanted. That seemed to work and war reasonable. U think it would makea good house sort of rule? Peg knights are bad enough I dont think it will ruin them to make them realistic in atleast one sense....

SuperBeast
07-02-2008, 23:12
We tried a game where each model had his own los and he could position them how he wanted. That seemed to work and war reasonable. U think it would makea good house sort of rule? Peg knights are bad enough I dont think it will ruin them to make them realistic in atleast one sense....
Again, applying words like 'realistic' and 'plausible' to WFB isn't a good line to take.

WFB (a game) is an analogue (simulation) of a 'real' event (a battle).
Stuff may not happen in a logical sequence or be dealt with 'realistically', but the overall simulation is sound.
True, the pegasus knights have only a narrow vision slit. However, they still have fully functional cervical vertabrae and musculature, and are mounted upon steeds they control; if anything, normal units NOT having a 360 degree LOS is the 'unrealistic' application of the rules.

But if your friend is happy to nerf one of the more useful units in his army as a sacrifice on the altar of realism, then go for it. I wish some of my opponents were as sporting...

Dragon Prince of Caledor
08-02-2008, 03:07
I would hardly call it nerfing... Brets are the noobiest army to start with. Peg knights are just that much worse... I can see your point but he just utilized the house rule so he still ahd pretty much 360 sight and atleast it had some sense of making sense.... whenever we have any discrepency we try to come to a realistic concensus.

kroq'gar
08-02-2008, 04:03
They are not that good if approached correctly (ie a rather large and shiny cannon).

Satan
08-02-2008, 04:15
...or wardancers. In fact I've found that things with a large number of attacks and strength 4 have a pretty good chance at taking out the pegasi knights, this does however rely on our interpretation which means that they only have 3+ save, which I would be correct in assuming, right?

If it's any comfort, my original interpretation of the rules were actually the same as the original posters' (though this was back in 6th ed), but I thought they were flying monsters, like a dragon. I thought all flyers has LOS like that, I just thought that they got to move in a wobbly formation too. It just didn't seem plausible considering the alternative first.

devolutionary
08-02-2008, 04:31
I would hardly call it nerfing... Brets are the noobiest army to start with. Peg knights are just that much worse... I can see your point but he just utilized the house rule so he still ahd pretty much 360 sight and atleast it had some sense of making sense.... whenever we have any discrepency we try to come to a realistic concensus.

There is no discrepancy, and your inability to type clearly while calling Bretonnians "noobiest" really isn't helping your case. This is such a ******** statement. We have one good Special choice and bam! we're insta-cheese n00bs. Such a sad attitude to have.

They operate as skirmishers, and so they have 360 degree arc of vision. The rules are clear. House rule all you want, but you will be doing nothing more than breaking an established written rule because you are afraid of them.

Nurgling Chieftain
08-02-2008, 06:09
...this does however rely on our interpretation which means that they only have 3+ save, which I would be correct in assuming, right?Right - the pegasi do not have barding.

We have one good Special choice and bam! we're insta-cheese n00bs.As I understand it, it's the popularity of armies consisting almost entirely of lances (mostly core) which simply charge straight forward at the enemy and mow them over which really upsets people. That wins enough (frequently by a huge margin) and takes only a bare minimum of skill to accomplish.

devolutionary
08-02-2008, 06:21
Which explains why the precise same tactic was beaten by Dwarves, Wood Elves, and fought to a draw by Goblins all in the same day. Every army has an easy beat to this. Empire has Flagellants and bloody Detachments. Dwarves have guns and stubborn. Wood Elves can't be caught. High Elves have ASF. Dark Elves have a ridiculous number of crossbows. The list goes on. Magic slams them to bits. The thing that saves them in these instances? The Blessing.

Which has nothing to do with Pegasus Knights - not one freaking thing.

The Lance and the Blessing are what carry the Bretonnian army in a Knight swarm, not the Pegasi. They're just a nice unit that does things that nothing else in our army can. I don't see the problem with the Pegasi except for them being slightly too cheap (65-70 would be better). That's all.

Hence my utter annoyance at constantly bagging on the Pegasi as somehow representative of how completely noob-like the Brets are. Yes, they are an army that can be made to be stupidly easy, but what army can't be made like that?

Alathir
08-02-2008, 06:42

How original of you to bash Bretonnia for being teh cheez!!111

Pegasus Knights arent even that big of a problem, to fix them they only need a slight increase in points.

Nurgling Chieftain
08-02-2008, 06:52
Which has nothing to do with Pegasus Knights - not one freaking thing....Which was my point. See, someone called Brets a noobie army, you complained because you somehow incorrectly interpreted that to mean they're noobie because of pegs alone, so I pointed out that no, that's not why they're called noobie, and now you have the gall to argue that that has nothing to do with pegasus knights which was your own misjudgment in the first place. Ahem. Though I have heard that the "Royal Air Force" army is annoying, too.

Anyway, enough of that. This is the rules forum and they are, after all, skirmishers, and people can go ahead and play them however they feel like playing them if their opponent agrees.

Yes, they are an army that can be made to be stupidly easy, but what army can't be made like that?The ones without blessed lance formations, for starters. ;)

devolutionary
08-02-2008, 06:58
Bah! Do not use your logic against a man who works for the department of statistics and spent 2 hours sniffing industrial filler fumes to hurriedly get a terrain piece built for tomorrow, for he is too easy a prey :p

Milgram
08-02-2008, 11:48
I charged them three times with the same Lion Chariot in my game yesterday until I drove them off. Rats with wings, I tells ya.

dunno, never really had them in combat since I never saw them passing any ld-tests.