PDA

View Full Version : New DoW

Vesica
04-02-2008, 00:13
Hey all i realise the new DoW game has been 'unveiled' so to speak for a while (not sure just came across it today) and it got me thinking.

With the 2 new armies being added to the game ones that are hardly used as much anymore, do you think they will be picked up by more people and new people who play the game?

just got me thinking.

Lord Cook
04-02-2008, 00:16
I certainly hope so. We can always use more WH and DE players.

different13
04-02-2008, 00:16
In the case of Dark Eldar, I think that's rather the point - if they get positive feedback about them, it would lend weight to the rumoured Dark Eldar do-over in the next few years.

Sisters of Battle I don't really know or care about..

Ghilleman
04-02-2008, 00:28
They might be picked up and played b ymore people I think. DoW is a good way to get a feel for how an army plays (but only a very general feeling) and some of it's fluff and motivations.

Voleron
04-02-2008, 00:31
If the hordes of new players gives GW an incentive to redo the DE 'dex and/or finally write the Inquisition 'dex, then I'm all for it.

On the other hand, if it just fills up the stores and clubs with yet more whiney little kids, and GW /doesn't/ redo the 'dexes, then i'll not be happy. >.>

LoneSniperSG
04-02-2008, 01:01
In the case of Dark Eldar, I think that's rather the point - if they get positive feedback about them, it would lend weight to the rumoured Dark Eldar do-over in the next few years.

Sisters of Battle I don't really know or care about..

As far as I know, the Sisters of Battle, as an army with an 80% metal range, are fairly popular.

Frep
04-02-2008, 01:07
I'm just glad that Soulstorm is gonna allow me to use every 40k army, all I have to do is download the tyranid mod and I'm set, through in the Steel Legion mod in for some flavour, and I can statisfy my 40K fix without having to do any painting. But in all honesty I think that Soulstorm can only do good things for Dark Eldar and the Sisters of Battle.

Lord Cook
04-02-2008, 01:12
I played the demo, and while the DE are certainly interesting, it only confirmed that I will never collect them, ever. The play style was just too different to what I enjoy. Too light and flimsy, and not enough firepower.

Deus Mechanicus
04-02-2008, 02:24
I played the demo, and while the DE are certainly interesting, it only confirmed that I will never collect them, ever. The play style was just too different to what I enjoy. Too light and flimsy, and not enough firepower.

that pretty much sums it up

Champsguy
04-02-2008, 03:47
Not enough firepower??? WTF?

Chaplain of Chaos
04-02-2008, 03:53
Yeah but I found that both Eldar and now apparently DE are among the toughest armies.

Yeah...

RavenMorpheus
04-02-2008, 03:55
I would think the whole point in Soul Storm as far as GW are concerned is to generate interest in the hobby and thus sell more of the DE range. Of course imo they have to do a lot more than make a game with the DE to convince me to take a mortgage out for a new army, DE or otherwise...

On the other hand, if it just fills up the stores and clubs with yet more whiney little kids, and GW /doesn't/ redo the 'dexes, then i'll not be happy. >.>

That is inevitable unfortunately as they are the core demographic GW are aiming at, whiney little kids having the most "disposable income" these days (or rather their parents "disposable income") and all that...

Ddraiglais
04-02-2008, 05:03
If the DoW games are there to sell minis, then why is it so limited? I downloaded the Annihilation patch. It adds most things you'd want to the game. I don't see how it would be difficult for them to release the game with more units included (devs, havocs, Chaos LR, more IG tanks, etc).

AllisterCaine
04-02-2008, 05:14
I would think the whole point in Soul Storm as far as GW are concerned is to generate interest in the hobby and thus sell more of the DE range. Of course imo they have to do a lot more than make a game with the DE to convince me to take a mortgage out for a new army, DE or otherwise...

That is inevitable unfortunately as they are the core demographic GW are aiming at, whiney little kids having the most "disposable income" these days (or rather their parents "disposable income") and all that...

I dont think it works that way, is GW dictating what armies should be released in DoW gams? Besides, the gameplay in DoW almost has nothing to do with 40k, you dont see 6 man DE squads running around with what seems to be mobile heavy bolters.

The Orange
04-02-2008, 06:25
I don't think it will help.
1. IIRC, GW doesn't carry DE in store anymore. So the only interest it may generate is in those player who would be willing to have the stores order some stock for them, or to mail order and wait. Anyone else will probably drop the whole idea once they find out that the store's don't actually carry them, and it will take a while for them to even get some.
2. SoB are an expensive, metal army. Price alone, IMO will turn of any newcomer, that's not become a die-hard fan.

Voleron
04-02-2008, 06:58
1. IIRC, GW doesn't carry DE in store anymore.

The stores down here in Australia still carry 'em. I dunno about the rest of the world, though...

Lord_Squinty
04-02-2008, 07:08
Full DE range is still in my local GW (uk)

LordFulgrim
04-02-2008, 08:11
They might be picked up by those who already play 40K. Maybe a person always had an interest but just never took the second step to collecting them for some reason. They might find that playing them is really cool in the game so why not start a new army?
I don't think you'll get new players from it though; I know quite a few DoW players who love the game but think table-top 40K is too nerdy.:rolleyes:

srg.cutter
04-02-2008, 08:55
From what ive seen of soul storm the DE is the same as it was in the last codex but im hoping it may have a little example of things to come (like the Harlequin in Dark CRusade)

Dragonlv8
04-02-2008, 09:46

I can't remember what the unit is called but they have jump packs and can get dark lances, they rule.
IF they relese Pastic sisters of battle id gladly get some to ally with or just for the look mainly because I think the video at the beggining of soulstorm is 1337 (leet).

Mercer
04-02-2008, 10:26
Bah want Tyranids.

Mercer

Lord Cook
04-02-2008, 11:47
Not enough firepower??? WTF?

I meant the DOW version. I've faced DE on the tabletop, I know how brutal their shooting can be.

Bah want Tyranids.

I think they're saving them for DOW 2. So not another add-on, a proper full blown sequel.

Champsguy
04-02-2008, 15:46
I meant the DOW version. I've faced DE on the tabletop, I know how brutal their shooting can be.

I think they're saving them for DOW 2. So not another add-on, a proper full blown sequel.

I dunno. I've played the demo, and they seemed to have plenty of firepower to me. I like that disintegration beam that the Dais of Destruction fires. It's great to use in conjunction with that "instant recharge" soul ability thingy. Overall, the whole army seems to be very heavy on offense (and not all that fragile, either).

I wonder what is taking so long on the Nids. I wonder if there's some conflict between GW and Blizzard on the issue. You can't make them too zerg-like without stepping on some IP toes (even though nids came first on the tabletop, zerg were first in this style of computer game, and since it is a different style of media, they'd benefit from stronger copyright protections).

Joewrightgm
04-02-2008, 15:51
I wonder what is taking so long on the Nids. I wonder if there's some conflict between GW and Blizzard on the issue. You can't make them too zerg-like without stepping on some IP toes (even though nids came first on the tabletop, zerg were first in this style of computer game, and since it is a different style of media, they'd benefit from stronger copyright protections).

Its not a matter of IP; numerous interviews I've read from IGN.com and others indicates that the current engine simply can't handle rendering that many 'models' on screen at one time; so they'd basically have to blow up and start from scratch.

Lord Cook
04-02-2008, 16:02
I dunno. I've played the demo, and they seemed to have plenty of firepower to me.

Well if you use lots of footslogging infantry and ravagers, then yes they have plenty of firepower, however I used a group of raiders filled with warrior squads and incubi, because I felt that having everything mounted up and fast would be more characterful and fun. I found that the raiders only really used the fire power of the squad inside, except for the prow dark lance, and that you were basically using a lot of your vehicle cap on four or so transports (3 pop points each? :eyebrows:) and not as much on killy stuff. But that's just me.

imperial_scholar
04-02-2008, 16:03
yea,
DOW will do well because it's a game. The new campaign feature looks awesome!

I posted in another board (bringing updates as I found them) 3 people there said they were going to buy all the expansions and the new one cause it had the 2 new armies in it.

There is a Tyranid mod which can help you cravings.... but the engine isn't designed for it... which makes me think that eventually.... we will see a DOW2 with Nids ;)

Dragonlv8
05-02-2008, 08:19
personally, I think with there next dow they shouldn't add a new race, just fix up the errors with the current ones such as space marine squads being devistators and Eldar missing 1/2 there models.

The_Outsider
05-02-2008, 09:14

You do know that warrior squads out of the box have nearly the same damage output as tactical marines (out fo the box) do?

The reason they lose to tactical marines is their lower health.

Scourges (especially after the accuracy upgrades) do insane levels of damage to heavy infantry (i.e marines, orks and some select units from the other races).

DE shooting will be a thing to be feared.

People are already trying to formulate scourge rush from the demo.

Vesica
05-02-2008, 16:56
I love the intro video, made me think about doing something SoB related.

I loved the orignal DoW game and i am currently saving up for a good gaming pc just for DoW

intellectawe
06-02-2008, 13:26

Wow. You have no idea how wrong you are. You must have never fought against a good DE player nor used the army yourself.

But then again, you are basing your opinions about tabletop from a video game.

If that were the case, Landraiders would never die, Dreds would wipe out entire units of enemies, and morale would actually mean something, even for marines.

And in the latest demo, the DE are actually too strong. I suspect you have the older demo.

- edit -

In your original post, you said you would never 'collect them' which would indicate you were talking about the table top game, as you don't 'collect' DE in DOW :) But I now saw your second post.

RavenMorpheus
06-02-2008, 14:26
I dont think it works that way, is GW dictating what armies should be released in DoW gams? Besides, the gameplay in DoW almost has nothing to do with 40k, you dont see 6 man DE squads running around with what seems to be mobile heavy bolters.

Well correct me if I'm wrong but it's GW's IP that Relic are using so yes GW can and probably do dictate what gets released in a DoW game to a certain extent.

0ld1eye
06-02-2008, 15:03
I disapprove of this expansion. They're basically just remaking the two most popular races from the original - SMurfs and eldar - in an effort to sell the same stuff again (maybe with a new campaign) only with different skins.

I won't be happy until they add tyranids.

Lord Cook
06-02-2008, 15:12
Wow. You have no idea how wrong you are. You must have never fought against a good DE player nor used the army yourself.

I saw your edit, but just to verify, I'm not an idiot. I would never judge an entire table top army based purely on its performance in DOW. That would be stupid. I have played a good DE player, but I admit I have never used the DE army myself. That doesn't mean I don't realise their capabilities on TT.

intellectawe
06-02-2008, 17:25
...I'm not an idiot...

My apologies!

I am used to that sort of person online... especially many Warhammer posters :)

Just check out the Rumor section in 40k for 5th edition.... I have never seen such a congregation of eTards ever on a Warhammer forum at one time. Almost reminds me of the old GW forums....

RavenMorpheus
06-02-2008, 17:41
I love the intro video, made me think about doing something SoB related.

I loved the orignal DoW game and i am currently saving up for a good gaming pc just for DoW

Save your money if your only looking at a gaming pc for DoW, just about any basic PC these days will play DoW including all the expansions.

Just check out the Rumor section in 40K for 5th edition.... I have never seen such a congregation of eTards ever on a Warhammer forum at one time. Almost reminds me of the old GW forums....

That's probably one of the reasons the GW forums were shutdown... :D

And err nids are out there for DoW DC, just not quite finished and they're not done by Relic, imo Relic don't make the best of the material they could, they left out tons of stuff even from the DC expansion, and imo it's not because they want to keep stuff back for DoW 2 or further expansions... Thank god the mod community (http://forums.relicnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96) is there to plug the gaps and fix the game where it's broken. ;)

Ddraiglais
06-02-2008, 19:05
For all of you complaining about the lack of Tyranids in DoW, there are patches you can download that make Tyranids part of the game. To answer the engine not being able to handle that many 'models', the annihilation patch takes the caps up to at least 40.

@Dragonlv8, the annihilation patch I mentioned includes all kinds of goodness. SM get dev squads, vets, and Inquisitor Toth (sp) among other things. CSM get havocs, LR, etc. Other races are expanded too. It's a good start. I am with you though. I'd love to see every race get everything they can get on the tabletop. I'd go a step further and say that once they do DoW II they should make some expansions for specific armies. They could release a siege expansion for DKoK, IW, and IF for example. Before they do that, they need to make sure there is plenty of variety in the main lists. Even with the annihilation patch I'm missing dreads for Chaos.

RavenMorpheus
06-02-2008, 20:30
Even with the annihilation patch I'm missing dreads for Chaos.

That's odd I thought the Annihilation mod had the Chaos Dreadnought...

If you look on here (http://forums.relicnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96) you'll see a closer to codex thread with links to the Chaos Dreadnought files which will make it available in the game, it just requires a little bit more knowledge on modding than running an installer to install a mod such as the annihilation mod but all the knowledge can be found in that link ;)

And the pop caps can be made to whatever you want them to be - but there isn't much point in going above 60...

Question - how is it everyone here plays DoW but very few of us know of, or so it seems, the biggest site for mods for DoW?

Ddraiglais
06-02-2008, 20:39
Thanks RavenMorpheus. Now can I run that mod with the annihilation patch? I need to fing my Dark Crusade disk and put it back on my computer. I'll be happy as hell now that I can field a true CSM army. Is there any patches to get a basilisk for Chaos in Dark Crusade? If there is, then the IW will reign supreme. LOL

RavenMorpheus
06-02-2008, 22:34
Don't think there is a mod for a basilisk for CSM but if you look around the site there might be some handy info on how to make one, all it would require is re-pathing the basilisk files from IG to CSM and re-texturing it...