PDA

View Full Version : My 1000 pt Wood Elf List, and it works

conzago
04-02-2008, 05:40
Here's my 1000 pt list and its been doing really well.

Spellsinger....................................165
Calaingor's Stave, Dispel Scroll, lvl 2

14 Glade Guard..............................180
musician, Champion

8 Glade Guard Scouts......................142
musician

12 Dryads......................................144

6 Glade Riders................................180
Champ, Standard, Musician

total............................................. .1001

I've done well with this list against empire and undead, and think it work nicely against the HE's I take on next weekend.

I have a feeling I know what people are going to pick at as errors (14 glade guard) No hard core combat units... I'll be interested to see what ya'll got to say

Krootman
04-02-2008, 05:47
Here's my 1000 pt list and its been doing really well.

musician, Champion

musician

Champ, Standard, Musicianimo

I've done well with this list against empire and undead, and think it work nicely against the HE's I take on next weekend.

I have a feeling I know what people are going to pick at as errors (14 glade guard) No hard core combat units... I'll be interested to see what ya'll got to say

if you drop everything but the scouts to min size you can get an extra unit of dryads in there and if you make the mage a lvl 1 and drop some scouts you can get a branchwrath with a cluster of radience and have a stronger magic phase and more dispell dice.

conzago
04-02-2008, 05:47
just so you know I rank the Glade guard up in 7s

Krootman
04-02-2008, 05:49
imo id rather not rank them up and go for 1 long rank of 10

conzago
04-02-2008, 05:51
When I play min. size I lose about double the VPs in my games,

A good round of enemy shooting/magic and I have two units with no value in game, they have half my VPS for them.

Branch wraith isn't a bad idea, but 4 treesingings are pretty nice

conzago
04-02-2008, 05:53
But when you rank them up that wide, don't you lose maneuverability?

Just seems unwieldy?

You play glade riders with 5 in a rank?

sing Sang a song
04-02-2008, 05:53
imo id rather not rank them up and go for 1 long rank of 10
and have 2 unit just like that in my 1000pts also i squeeze in 5 waywatcher since they are awesome to block march and their lethal shot is just awesome

conzago
04-02-2008, 05:54
Do you think waywatchers are worth the points vs Scouts at 75% cost?

Krootman
04-02-2008, 06:02

Just seems unwieldy?

Not at all if you consider that they can move and fire you just move them up then back back back back etc, I actually prefer min sized units. If you cant take min sized units just take close to that.

Imo branchwrath and lvl 1 is better cause u get 5 dispell dice and 2 lvl ones is better then 1 lvl 2 in ur magic phase imo cause if you lose that lvl 2 ur screwed.

Krootman
04-02-2008, 06:02
Do you think waywatchers are worth the points vs Scouts at 75% cost?

no not at all....

Krootman
04-02-2008, 06:03

Just seems unwieldy?

the glade riders I just run min 5 man units to flee from charges and harass things.

conzago
04-02-2008, 06:18
I do the same with my glade guard, and with the spellsinger its the unit that tends to draw the most attention. I would be worried with a 10 long line that I'm not gonna have much control over LOS from enemy units, be able to find cover.

I do take a Branchwraith with Cluster and Pagent in 1250 pts, and I like it a lot, but I use treesinging alot I usually can prevent 3-4 Charges a game with Treesinging,

I use Glade riders in same way, one unit stays upfront and harasses, causes failed charges, but the other I bring into the flank/or rear and work on artillery/skirmishers...

conzago
04-02-2008, 06:22
Why do people take the Alter kindred, seems crazy to me?

Krootman
04-02-2008, 06:33
Why do people take the Alter kindred, seems crazy to me?

its amazing you just move him in to charge with another unit and you get another 5 str5 atks on the charge lol

as for ur casters, just hide them in the woods and ull be fine. Also with 2 lvls ones u can cast treesinging just as many times with 2 lvl ones as 1 lvl 2.

conzago
04-02-2008, 06:50
There has to be a round before a charge where he is visible(Alter Kindred) at 2-3 wound T3, he seems vulnerable, and also a desirable target. Shooting him Might take a little work, but not impossible. unprotected against much artillery too.

But magic, is a different story, and even If get dispel crazy, its just gonna cause an escalation and the power side of this escalation always beets defense (dispel).

Krootman
04-02-2008, 06:59
There has to be a round before a charge where he is visible(Alter Kindred) at 2-3 wound T3, he seems vulnerable, and also a desirable target. Shooting him Might take a little work, but not impossible. unprotected against much artillery too.

But magic, is a different story, and even If get dispel crazy, its just gonna cause an escalation and the power side of this escalation always beets defense (dispel).

if you say so and its really easy to get an 18 inch charge so more then likely he wount be shot at

RavenBloodwind
04-02-2008, 23:24
Some thoughts, although Krootman is generally giving advice similar to my own thoughts.

Your wizard is fine although Krootmans points about either branchwraith or 2 level 1s are good ones.

For your troops: you've said it yourself but here goes
musician, Champion

If you drop to 10 naked you save 60pts which is 1/2 another unit. Alternatively if they babysit the general then keeping the champion is fine. If you do that I'd even plump for a banner bearer and give him banner of springtide. Taking 14 short-range GG shots on the charge is unpleasant to anyone who'd charge you. (Mind I don't think keeping the 14 is a good idea, but if you do this would make it maybe more survivable)

musician
In my mind scouts shouldnt have musicians (Sound the horn so they won't know we're here!:wtf:) but I can see where it's useful in game terms. They are expensive enough and their primary role is harassment that I'd look seriously into decreasing their size.

I find 10 is plenty since, as skirmishers anyone not fighting is pretty much a waste. I suppose at 1k you might actually outnumber somthing and use fear but I'd be pleasantly surprised if it ever happened. I think 2 8-10 man units would certainly give you more flexibility.

I'd be VERY worried about these units coughing up a chunk of VPs. The banners are really there for the taking if you accidentally get these guys into combat. The champion only gets a bump in BS and since there are no characters to join the unit for him to protect in a challenge, he's about useless. If you dropped to 5-man with musician you'd save 51pts per unit.
Getting to 1k for a 1k game seems a proper goal. Playing friendly games at 'about' 1k is fine but the tournament folk are not flexible about this.

If you shrunk your gladeguard to save 60, dryads to save 24, scouts to save 51, glade riders to save 102...you'd have enough points to really build a more flexible force. With 247 points to spare you could easily take 2 more units. Two 10-man glade guard are more flexible and maneuverable than your 14-man. Also, if you deploy your 14-man in 7x2you lose 1/2 your shooting anyway (unless you face a lot of large targets in your 1k games). Also 2 10-man units can shoot at twice as many targets. Since a 1x10 unit takes up a whopping 7.8" it's really not a problem for LOS or firing arc issues. I often run 4-5 10-man units and almost never have problems unless there's an inordinate amount of terrain present.

For the waywatchers vs scouts issue, frankly 5 naked waywatchers is cheaper than your scout unit and actually gets 2 more attacks in melee, not to mention better deployment rules and ranged KB.

Krootman
05-02-2008, 04:29
For the waywatchers vs scouts issue, frankly 5 naked waywatchers is cheaper than your scout unit and actually gets 2 more attacks in melee, not to mention better deployment rules and ranged KB.

this is prob a better choice, as the marchblocking will really help u here.

IronBrother
05-02-2008, 06:07
i have to agree with everyone else, drop your units down and you could take something nasty (like wardancers). otherwise your list looks pretty good, who else can say they have 84% core in their army (my orion army only has 75%).