PDA

View Full Version : 1000 tunnel clearing skaven

Ward.
04-02-2008, 07:15
Okay so first of all the general idea is a clan that was given the task of clearing out a segment of ex dwarf controlled territory that's also getting quite well payed for it. This is in preperation for a series of games that I'll be playing against two friends that got and expanded upon the BFSP.

cheiften, armour, sheild.
Probably the charm.

warlock engineer
storm deamon and a scroll
full gear (I might have two of these, on without the gear)

Two 25 strong clanrat units
warp fire throwers
(I see the throwers as being the fluffy option but Rattling guns would work as well)

25 storm vermin
sheilds

2 giant rat packs

2 X 6 night runners
extra hand weapon

6 gutter runners
tunneling team with poisoned hand weapons

It's roughly a 1000 points, and I'd like your advice on how to make the army more competettive without breaking the fluff to much. Although any suggestion is welcome with at least an attempt at justification.

Edit: there's also a block of 25 slaves in there and the boards we play on will be "terrain dense".

SevenSins
04-02-2008, 10:42
in 1000points I'd consider dropping the stormvermin over more rats. Even in dense terrain another slave unit will be useful (and at 40points its affordable)
Split up the gutterunners to make 2 teams, much more reliable.....

Wolfmother
04-02-2008, 16:04
it would be good to give your chifden a battle standard and hide him at the back of the storm vermin unit(still get all the benefits!)

i would also drop both the warpfire throughers and get another warlock engineer

you also have 84 pts in your night runners who imo will do little and 60 in your giant rat packs for this you could get another unit of gutter runners and maby even enough to make the origional unit up to 7!

fubukii
04-02-2008, 17:14
skaven need slaves, id drop the storm vermin has they are terribly over priced get 2 units of slaves and with the left over points, take jezzails or another warlock, a WLC, more rats etc.

Shamfrit
04-02-2008, 18:12
Rofl, Fubukii, on a mission are we?

As for your list Ward, looking pretty juicy considering the points cost involved.

Maybe the Vermin need to be smaller, or go...hard to say, swap a rank for some slaves?

Skyldig
04-02-2008, 18:34
IF you're actually fighting in a tunnel (limited space) scenario or similar, perhaps the strength of Rat ogres could be semiuseful. After all, you probably have them lying around from the starter box, and now they can't get shot (badly anyway)

Just a thought :)

fubukii
04-02-2008, 23:46
shamfrit i am on a mission :) to spread the idea of how useful cheap units are to any army, i may even make a tactica thread about it!

RavenBloodwind
04-02-2008, 23:53
Fubukii is right on about the slaves. At 40 pts for Ld 9 block of troops? Strength in numbers is amazing.

As to the list, as others have pointed out, at 1k stormvermin unlikely to be worth it relative to more clanrats and slaves. Against dwarfs some plague censers could be devastating although at 1k I think they're a bit too spendy.

Ward.
05-02-2008, 08:08
Sevinsins/ fubukil: Your probably right about the storm vermin, which is a shame because I had some good conversions in mind. I'll probably split the gutter runners against the goblin opponent.

Wolfmother: Well more gutter runners would be useful but I plan on using the nightrunners to lure fanatics, block up flanks and hold table quarters.

Skyldig: I had thought about that but I feel they're not really strong enough to tackle a dwarf or goblin unit head on and giant rats do the flanking job cheaper.

While I usually have ample supplies of slaves to throw at things I worry that they might turn into slingshots against some dwarf and goblin units, that and the terrain will make it difficult to bring my numbers to bare.

fubukii
05-02-2008, 16:41
i say in such a small game ward leave them off the table, but if you want to use them in larger games they should be a good addition to the army