PDA

View Full Version : Tommygun's Backwater Forgeworld

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

gonzosbignose
05-08-2008, 08:14
It looks AWESOME!!!!

Seriously... that is the Mother Trucker of all Trucks...

Cant wait to see the Goff trucks...

I've decided i need ot do me some vehicles for my orks now...

Awesoem to see Tommy.

Regards

My name is Daniel and i am a wargamer

Templar-Sun
05-08-2008, 12:49
Rofl...

Solid.

Templar-Sun

Tommygun
06-08-2008, 19:54
And Then They were 14
The first step in admitting to an addiction is acknowledging there is a problem.
My name is Tom and I am a Dreadnought Crack Head.
It started off simple enough, all those years ago. Just one box.
Happily gluing it together, even gluing the leg armor on upside down. Those were the days.
Then I found Battlewagon Bits and thought I could get an extra torso and legs to go with the extra arms.
It seemed innocent enough at the time. Then came Forge World.
The biggest crack Dread Head dealer on the block.
More arms, more torsos, more everything. And just when I have it all, they come out with more dread.
Just the other day I went to the Forge World web site to order the Chaplin Dread.
So I order it....along with two other dreads and six more arms!:cries:
I shouldn't complain too much though. I can quit when I want to.
I just don't feel like quitting now.

Did I mention I also ordered another plastic Dread?
God help me.

razormasticator
06-08-2008, 20:53
Hehe, I am with you. I dropped upwards of $100 on the Chaplain Dread plus arms at the Baltimore Games day. And I recently purchased a Siege Dread loadout from someone on Bartertown. Now with the one coming in the mail and the pending Venerable I am going to buy that will make 6 for me.

Look at the positive, you can field 2 Ancient Assault Formations should you ever play apocalypse.

Tommygun
07-08-2008, 01:58
Look at the positive, you can field 2 Ancient Assault Formations should you ever play apocalypse.

I'm not familiar with this.
Is the "Ancient Assault Formation" in Apocalypse Reloaded?

redstarone
07-08-2008, 02:23
Its basically 3+ dreads of any type plus a techmarine from the space marine codex. Strangley enough the special rule for them is they can flank march.

Its in the reload book. I think its like 100 points +models. Ive used it once and all 4 dreads died in a single barrage from a baneblade in 1 turn. The fact they need to stay within 6 inchs of each other kinda sucks. But in the end, i still use it.

:chrome:

Faolan
07-08-2008, 03:10
It's actually in the IA:Apoc book, not Reload.

redstarone
07-08-2008, 03:42
It's actually in the IA:Apoc book, not Reload.

Uhhh ... thats what I ment :D yea, thats right.

gonzosbignose
07-08-2008, 08:21
Hey Tommy

The first step to dealing with an addiction is admitting it...

However... 14 dreads?

I think you might need some serious rehabilitation...

I myself... 6 dreads...

Have you seen the new plastic one due out in the new 40k box set... you know its going to be 15 ;-)

Regards

Duckdude
07-08-2008, 13:18
Why dont you scratchbuld dreads? Seeing the quality of all your other scratch building i cant see why you dont scratch build the dreads to ;)

Faolan
07-08-2008, 13:29
Needs more MK IV!

Templar-Sun
08-08-2008, 13:10
Add fuel to the fire eh Duckdude...

A couple scratch built dreads would be kinda cool tho...lol

*ducks incoming plastic and metal bitz"

Templar-Sun

Faolan
08-08-2008, 13:28
Hrm, I wonder if there's concept art out there for Mk IIIs?

Tommygun
08-08-2008, 17:53
Thanks everyone for the ideas and answers. I have been thinking about doing a partial scratch build.
I was thinking about ordering a bunch of legs, as they would take too long to scratch build.
I could build the torsos and power packs, then use all the extra arms I have on them.
I also had the idea of making a couple Ironclad Dreads, but I have several projects to finish and the new collage semester starts soon.
So the chances of it happening are slim right now.
Thanks again everyone, Tom.

PS Faolan this is suppose to be a preheresy dread?

Clone-Trooper
09-08-2008, 00:14
Tis' but a Luna Wolf Pre-Heresy Drednought , if you did a pre heresy scratchbuild , it would make all of us pre-heresy fanatics scream like school girls . .

So yes , good luck .

Girr
09-08-2008, 00:36
Great stuff! that fighta is crazzzy!

Tommygun
10-08-2008, 01:44
Getting closer to finishing up my projects.
Not counting the twenty some projects stuffed in the closet, under the bed, couch, various pieces of furniture and in the storage shed.
This is the second of three trucks done so far.
....and maybe a new type of dread? MK VI?

Faolan
10-08-2008, 05:09
I'd more go with a down-scaled Orion or Orion IIC battlemech for a dread look.

Tommygun
10-08-2008, 09:43
I worked on my Valkyrie tonight.
Added panels and a few other details. It may be done in a week? I'm starting to think about the paint job.
It will be ether the gray and dark tan camo or the three tone splinter with sky blue underside,
I used on my Pluto pattern Turkey Vulture. Which do you guys think would work best?

Ironjens
10-08-2008, 12:33
I would say stick to the one you've already used, it makes the force look more uniform. As for the Robocop dread I'd only use that as the basis of a slaanesh chaos dread, the curves reminding me of the old epic slaanesh knights or whatever they were called.

As always, keep up the good work!

Slaaaaaanesh
10-08-2008, 23:02
That Valkyrie looks superb, I'm impressed at the level of details. Ooh and ED-209 toy brings back a lot of memories, the bit when he goes crazy in the boardroom is probably what a frenzied chaos dreadnought would do!

Commodore Perry
11-08-2008, 20:41
Despoiler, the Thunderbolt I made with less than $10 dollars worth of plasticard. It's a great simple model to start off with too. Right now I'm making a second one that is larger. I can Email you Lackof plans for the plane if you want. You do need to enlarge his plans 152% if you want it to be as big as the forge World thunderbolt. -Tom.

Master, my Styrene-Fu is weak compaired to yours!

I have a question, I have the templates for the thunderbolt all ready to go as soon as I finish my Stormlord. I have already blown the templates up to the point where the key equals the referenced 1 inch.

Are you saying I need to enlarge it another 52% ?

Thanks
Commadore Perry

Tommygun
12-08-2008, 02:19
The short answer is yes. The forge World Models is a lot bigger.
The 152% is an estimate based on several photo graphs of the Forge World model next to a steel ruler.
I enlarged those photos so the steel ruler in the photos was one to one with my ruler.
I measured the wing span of the forge World Thunderbolt in the photo as 302mm.
Lackof plans are smaller than that, so you need to enlarge them if you want your thunderbolt to be about the same size.
But there is a problem. They will not fit on a standard piece of paper.
You will have to ether take them to a coping store for enlargement or you will have to cut out the paper pieces and arrange them on paper, so they will enlarge on standard size paper.
The fuselage is a problem too. It is too long, even if you rearrange it on paper to fit on standard paper.
You will have to enlarge the front half of the fuselage and then the back half of the fuselage and then cut and tape the two halves together.
Here is a photo of the first thunderbolt I made and the second enlarged one.

Templar-sun & Clone-Trooper & Faolan, I just ordered some parts to make an IronClad Dread, but I don't really know what a preheresy MkIII or older dread looks like.
I try not to think about the Rouge trader ones.

Ironjens, I really like the gray and tan one and I'm going to eventually make another Vulture based on the new templates. The old Turkey Vulture may end its days as a crashed terrain piece.:evilgrin:

Slaaaaaanesh, I have always thought the ED-209 was one of the coolest looking robots out there. I was really just having fun putting it next to the dread, but I think it might be fun as a Mars pattern dread. Twin-link Assault Cannons, heavy flamer and grenade launcher!

rcal13
12-08-2008, 05:22
Does any one have the thunderbolt or valkyrie templetes? I would love to have them

Despoiler
12-08-2008, 22:11
Despoiler, the Thunderbolt I made with less than $10 dollars worth of plasticard. It's a great simple model to start off with too. Right now I'm making a second one that is larger. I can Email you Lackof plans for the plane if you want. You do need to enlarge his plans 152% if you want it to be as big as the forge World thunderbolt. -Tom.

sounds good might as well have ago.

e-mail away!!

Floydianightmare
13-08-2008, 19:51
Of course if you use ED 209 as a base for your dread it automatically gets the following special rule
Clumsy: ED 209 Dreads must make a dangerous terrain test when moving through difficult terrain. This test is automatically failed. the ED 209 Dread will spend the rest of the game crying like a child.

Tommygun
14-08-2008, 00:27
Here is where The Valk stands right now. It is 90% done.
I need to finish the landing gear, thrusters on the wing tips, more work on the main engines, Lascannon, and the two door gunners.

@ Floydiannightmare, As long as he stays away from stairs he should be fine.

redstarone
14-08-2008, 00:33
I LOVE the main engines, even if they arent completed. The way you made them is simple yet super effective. I would have tried something way to complicated and in so, wouldnt have ever finished them.

Overall youve done another amazing job with your attention to detail never falling short. As always, great stuff and truley inspiring.

That said, how the hell is this thread not a full 5 stars?!?! Who cold have ever voted for something other then a 5..

bugbait_nz
14-08-2008, 08:17
So very nice! wondering if the inside of the rocket pods should have been painted black before the front went on?
What sort of glue do you use, just superglue or something else?
The framework around the canopy, do you buy the thin strips or just manually cut?

Bugbait out.

Zawislak
16-08-2008, 14:21
Omg, You are awesome

I started building a blasta-bomba as soon as aeronatica came out with them but i need help How tall is the main body and what thickness of plasticard did you use for the hull around the cerves

-Zaw

Tommygun
16-08-2008, 23:32
Omg, You are awesome

I started building a blasta-bomba as soon as aeronatica came out with them but i need help How tall is the main body and what thickness of plasticard did you use for the hull around the cerves

-Zaw

Zaw, I used 0.5mm(0.04 Inch) plasticard for the curves areas.
The height of the main fuselage is 114mm (4.5 inches) at the front, but slopes upwards to 95mm (3.75 inches) near the tail.
The width also starts out at 95mm (3.75 inches) at the front of the fuselage and narrows to 62mm (2-7/16 inches) at the end of the tail.
The overall dimensions of the plan are 387mm (15.25 inches) long not counting guns and missiles and 464mm (18.25 inches) wingspan.

Zawislak
17-08-2008, 22:12
One last thing

What did you use for the wings? what is the thickness of the thing u used for them?

Thanks a bunch

-zaw

Tommygun
18-08-2008, 00:04
I used the same 1mm plasticard for the wings with 6mm (0.25 inch) square strips for reinforcement inside the wings.
To get a round edge on the forward edge of the wing, I glued a piece of round tubing to it and filled in the gap with triangular strips.
The triangular pieces are not necessary, you can use putty instead.

gonzosbignose
20-08-2008, 15:41
Mr Tommygun

Long time its been since i last said boo. Sorry its been such a while but ive been working like a mad fool and just havent had the chance to pop in.

WOW at your flyer. the work is fabulous, im very jealous indeed... and everytime i look at your truck, the pressure to get mine looking as good builds, and the further down the list of things to do they slip for me.

I trust your keeping well

Regards

Faolan
20-08-2008, 16:44
Jesus Tommy, it's been like 5 days since you posted anything. Are you well?

Tommygun
21-08-2008, 05:24
The Fall Semester of college started this week, so I'm slowing down some.
Though I just received two more dreads with four more coming in the mail!

OK, so here is the Valk. It is basically done. I need to make a lascannon for the side nose gun and finish the door gunners.
The rear door ramp opens, but no real interior details. I hope to start painting it this weekend.

redstarone
21-08-2008, 05:37
Damn dude, you have a serious dread addiction going. Perhaps rehab ;).

On a more serious note, amazing valk. I mean seriously, its stunning. The engines are phenominal as well as the paneling. It looks real. There I said it.
Once again you have blown me out of the water.

gonzosbignose
21-08-2008, 08:14
I dont know how much this will be lost on you, my American friends... but we will try...

They Tried to make him go to REHAB.... he said... NO NO NO

Dreads are so hard... whether plastic or card... you really Know Know Know...

If Tommy's got the time... To convert and paint and prime....

They wont get him to go to Rehab... NO NO NO....

(bows)

Regards

Faolan
21-08-2008, 09:55
Sheesh, that thing is GLORIOUS!

I'll take 10. I pay well, namely in pizza and beer.

Again, great work. It's a gem, other than you having forgotton to put a solid piece behind the drilled out rocket face ;)

razormasticator
21-08-2008, 18:41
The Fall Semester of college started this week, so I'm slowing down some.
Though I just received two more dreads with four more coming in the mail!

OK, so here is the Valk. It is basically done. I need to make a lascannon for the side nose gun and finish the door gunners.
The rear door ramp opens, but no real interior details. I hope to start painting it this weekend.

That Valk is AMAZING!!!! It looks better than the FW one IMO!

Nice man, really really nice.

razormasticator
21-08-2008, 18:42
I dont know how much this will be lost on you, my American friends... but we will try...

They Tried to make him go to REHAB.... he said... NO NO NO

Dreads are so hard... whether plastic or card... you really Know Know Know...

If Tommy's got the time... To convert and paint and prime....

They wont get him to go to Rehab... NO NO NO....

(bows)

Regards

Yes, unfortunately we americans know who Amy Crackhouse is....

Tommygun
31-08-2008, 00:30
Still painting the Valkyrie when I get the time. Thanks for your support.
Here is my version of an Ironclad dreadnought. I have just one picture to work from so I had to make some of it up.
....And this is number 15.
As soon as my Forge World order and the new box set come in I'll have enough parts to make 5 more.

warflag
31-08-2008, 00:56
You have too many dreads! You feel a deep inner urge to give some of them away... You want to give them to warflag... You will pm warflag and ask for the postal address.. You do not want money for them... You only want to make others happy...
When I clap my hands three times you will wake up and pm warflag!

CLAP..CLAP.. CLAP

MrP
31-08-2008, 04:03
Absolutely gorgeous dread, Tommygun!

bugbait_nz
31-08-2008, 04:18
Great looking dread, hope you have some dread autocannons coming, I think that would look cool on a dread, one for each side would be cool + cool.
Hope your postman is on steriods!

Bugabit out

Tommygun
31-08-2008, 06:02
Great looking dread, hope you have some dread autocannons coming, I think that would look cool on a dread, one for each side would be cool + cool.
Hope your postman is on steriods!

Bugabit out

Like this one?

P.S. I have an odd urge to go to Germany?

Ironjens
31-08-2008, 11:11
Really nice ironclad! You never settle down and feel like you're finished? :p

Shadowphrakt
31-08-2008, 11:48
P.S. I have an odd urge to go to Germany?

Really Nice Ironclad, I want to amek one now :D

Having an urge to go to germany isn't odd, Germany is the land of chocolate and cake! Of Coffee and Gluwein! Go just before Christmas if you want to...its amazing.

Slaaaaaanesh
31-08-2008, 13:27
What an awesome dead tommygun!

Right the dread when I get the Bfbl set has just been assigned for ironclad conversion!

bugbait_nz
31-08-2008, 22:19
AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
Love that autocannon dread, it just looks so right!!! (didnt notice him in the group picture as he was hiding down the back)
The Assault of Black Reach dread is going to get an upgrade, doesnt look that hard to scratch build those arms.

Bugbait out

Zawislak
05-09-2008, 02:53
Nice ironclad,

I hope they make an ironclad with autocannons

Lord Dan
10-09-2008, 17:03
I know this is a random question amongst all the tank and engine building questions...but how did you build the wings on those gargoyles? Just a forewarning- if you tell me, I'm absolutely going to do a it myself (albiet half as well as yours). ;)

Tommygun
11-09-2008, 05:42
It was pretty simple. I used 0.010 inch (0.25mm) plasticard/styrene sheet for the wings.
I just cut the wings into the rough shape of a bat wing.
Then I glued 1mm half round strips of plastic (Evergreen Item # 240) to the wings to look like bones in the wings.
After they dried, I cut small holes and tears into the wing for battle damage.
I curved the wings by bending them around a writing pin.
This makes them more three dimensional and looks like air pushing the skin back as it would in flight.
When I mounted the wings, I drilled holes into the bodies and put round styrene rods in to act like pins.
This helps to support the wings when you glue them on.
Hope that helps. -Tom.

Faolan
11-09-2008, 15:05
Tommy, I come bearing a smashing idea for you!

This beauty's from the Epic book, and a stunning, smashing find.

And maybe something, finally, that'll CHALLENGE you.

Aquilla
11-09-2008, 20:02
As far as I remember there are two of those in the 3rd ed ork codex.
That ironclad is great Tommy!

Ironjens
11-09-2008, 20:50
Yes, the ones that Andy Chambers had made, they're on page 19 of the old ork codex. They look really smashing and the big one is obviously the model from which the image is derived. Alas, I concur, it's a worthy task since you like dreads mr tommygun :)

But maybe you don't do requests like any old bar piano player...

Tommygun
12-09-2008, 08:27
Yes I have seen versions of that ork dread too. At least one was made from a Star Wars Tie fighter as the torso.
I don't know if I have the time for any big projects.
I am supposed to be building a Manta ship with Lackof and Eaterofsmallthings, but all my money went to text books.
Right now I am painting all the stuff that has been piling up lately.
I'm about half way done paint the Valkyrie and almost done painting two dreads.
There are two more FW Mk IV dreads primed and the Black Reach set arrived today and still waiting on the FW Chaplin.
I think I need to do a head count, but that is 20 or 21 dreads?
Also need to go back and paint the Marauder too.
I will have dread pictures this weekend and maybe the Valkyrie too.
Has anyone seen the new Red Scorpion Dread? oooh!

Don't worry I have no money.

Faolan
12-09-2008, 09:44
The new Scorp dread looks like ****.

Go with the new Nurgle one ;)

*edit*

Go with this! (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/newsletters/ultradnl.jpg)

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/newsletters/ultradnl.jpg

Tommygun
14-09-2008, 23:06
That new Ultra dread looks good too.
It looks like they may be making a line of loyal chapter dreads like they did for Chaos.
Surprise they waited this long. So here is my latest. Two more dreads,but no Valkyrie.
I had to read a couple of chapters on three phase power, PLC programing, and CAT 5 & 6 cabling.
So I had a limited time to paint.

My sister had a close call this week. She left work early to go to a music concert and took an early train home.
The train she normally takes was hit by a freight train and it killed 25 people.
She new two of them that were killed and they rode in the train car she normally rides in.
This is the second time this has happened. Three years ago a man tried to kill himself by parking his car on the tracks.
That derailed the train and killed 11 and injured 200.
My sister was getting over a cold and decided to stay home an extra day, so she missed that too.
She is home safe now, but I'm not sure how she feel about getting back on the train again.

Slaaaaaanesh
17-09-2008, 10:19
Wow, your Sister definitely has a guardian angel!

Awesome Ironclad.... cue music!

Tommygun: 'Anything GW do I can do better, I can do anything better than them'

GW: No you can't.
Tommygun: Yes, I can.
GW: No, you can't.
Tommygun: Yes, I can.
GW: No, you can't.
Tommygun: Yes, I can, Yes, I ca.....

(Knock at the door)
'Excuse me, Mr Tommygun we are the men with dark glasses from GW, come with us sir'

What happened after I'll let you decide. :)

Shadowphrakt
17-09-2008, 16:33
Wow...your sister is really lucky!

Have you seen the new Ironcald CAD? Its got freaking frag assault launchers.

The new Hurricane bolters are HUGE!!!!! I was gonna use them on an Iron clad that I'm making, but seriously...they...are...huge.

Ironjens
17-09-2008, 22:33
oh, your sister is lucky, but what's wrong with your trains? Last time a swedish train derailed was two years ago and it was a local train hitting a broken down truck at a crossing leaving some minor wounded passangers on the train. And it all happened only because the crossings sensors were broken. Of course, since they put so much money into maintaining the railway net it's too expensive for most people to travel, even if it's state owned and subsidized. And the UK rail system seems to be poised for a big crash anytime since it's been lacking in maintenance for years. What's the story in America?

Over to the models I think your Ironclad far outshines the CAD pictures of GW's that I've seen since it's sleek, has cool weapons and fits in with the current dread designs. The other dread is cool with twinlinked assault cannons (home made left arm?) but I must say that I don't particularely like the cyborg concept. For me the imperial dreads are all about walking coffins and I don't really like the venerable dread approach (even if I made one myself from a chaos dread) with a big helmeted head showing behind a collar. Taking a step further and taking a marine that's obviously only lost his legs (a minor problem 39 thousand years into the future) and fusing him to the dread just doesen't fly for me. Perhaps if he's some kind of mechanicus dread, but otherwise, no.

However, if he'd been chaos anything would go :)

keep up the good work

Tommygun
17-09-2008, 23:25
slaaaaaanesh, admit it you have a karaoke machine in your house!

Shadowphrakt, I have seen the newest CAD drawings of the Ironclad.
I like that it has the assault launchers, but I don't like where they placed them.
You don't see the extra armor. I think I will put them on the shoulders.

Ironjens, The left Assault cannon is half hand made and a few parts left over from the assault cannon I converted into a hurricane bolter.
The problem with the trains is that it is a massive rail system.
It is several times larger than what you would see in other countries and
it is spread out over a large area.
There is not enough money to maintain it to the degree you see in smaller rail systems.
These two accident though were not maintenance issues,
but things that may have been stopped by better monitoring equipment.
But you still have the problem of monitoring such a large system.
But it is still safer than cars.

Ironjens
18-09-2008, 21:49
Duh, of course it's bigger, my bad.

And of course everything is safer than driving. Apparently out of the 3.2 million drivers out on the roads in sweden (I know, we're a tiny country) every day 170.000 are too drunk or drugged to drive. I've been told that it roughly approximates to a bit more drunken drivers than taxis, and you see quite a number of those...

Are those the assault launchers on the CAD? I just thought they were some kind of strange extra armour. Do they count as frag grenades or is it like the crusader assault launchers that they only work the first time (somebody assaults out of the vehicle... then I buy the cyborg half-man getting out :D)?

Tommygun
19-09-2008, 04:36
Are those the assault launchers on the CAD? I just thought they were some kind of strange extra armour. Do they count as frag grenades or is it like the crusader assault launchers that they only work the first time (somebody assaults out of the vehicle... then I buy the cyborg half-man getting out :D)?

I didn't recognize them at first ether. I only know what I have read in some posts. I assume the assault grenades are a one time use. Maybe squats come out and assault. I wounder if the grenades are an optional upgrade?

redstarone
19-09-2008, 07:27
I didn't recognize them at first ether. I only know what I have read in some posts. I assume the assault grenades are a one time use. Maybe squats come out and assault. I wounder if the grenades are an optional upgrade?

Take this with a grain of salt but I believe they are indeed optional and 1 time use thing.

Faolan
19-09-2008, 17:26
... I forgot to look at the new Codex while I was fingering through the spearhead box today, I was too busy nutting on the drop-pod and studying the new Vets.

Deus Ruinus
19-09-2008, 22:07
wow nice iron clad, im likening your work....gives me some ideas what to do with my marines.

Evil-Termite
08-10-2008, 20:16
I really like the way you did that left arm on the Ironclad Dreadnought. It's supposed to be a seismic hammer right? I think I can replicate it for my own dreadnoughts, but I don't think I could do the drill tips (things with the spikes) in green stuff very well. Did you use a particular bit for those or did you model them yourself? If you did use a bit, what kit did it come from?

Tommygun
09-10-2008, 04:42
The left arm is actually an assault drill arm from Forge World.
When The first photo of the Ironclad dreadnought was released a few months ago,
I mistook the seismic hammer and thought it was an assault drill.
At some point I will go back and make a seismic hammer,
but I may make it look more like a single thunder hammer mounted on a piston.
Something like a jackhammer and a thunder hammer.

I painted the Valkyrie and I will have pictures by Friday.

Faolan
09-10-2008, 07:47
Oh, and no, the ICAGs are not one-time use.

Show us the pics, Tommy! We eagerly await!

Tommygun
09-10-2008, 23:41
Finally it's done! Too much Boolean Algebra got in the way.
The painted windows could have come out better, but they are OK.
I had trouble bending the colors on the windows and I'm too lazy to use retarders.
The camouflage was surprisingly time consuming.
It took longer than the three tone splinter I sprayed on for my Vulture.

Next, I have a few orks to paint. Waaaaaaaagh!

bugbait_nz
10-10-2008, 05:39
It turned out very nice, nothing wrong with the windows, not entirerly sure if they need the white dot reflection though.

GO ORKS!!!!

Bugbait out

Slaaaaaanesh
10-10-2008, 10:23
Brilliant Vulture mate, I think you scratch building skills are developing more and more, that boolean algebra sure is coming in handy :) .

Now whats next?

Tommygun
11-10-2008, 23:50
Here are some of the orks from the box set.
I really like this set. Right now I'm working on modifying the nobs from that set.
I would like to get more Deffkoptas, but I'm willing to bet they will have new Deffkoptas next year with the second wave of orks.
I will also be building a few custom koptas as well, so I don't want to have too many.
So I will probable wait. I don't need another "Dread issue" here.

Shadowphrakt
11-10-2008, 23:55
Very nice Tommygun...I hope they're all drunk :D Its the orky way...

Nah, they're nice, I like 'em.

Faolan
12-10-2008, 06:10
Nice Tommy, but did you forget to wash the rotors? The shiny gubbins iz a bit too kleen.

Ironjens
12-10-2008, 09:12
Very nice, both the vulture and the orks. The thing I like best about the vulture are the guardsmen with the heavy bolters poking out the sides of the transport, very Apocalypse Now. Is this your own device or does the forgeworld variant have it too?

Good luck with the nobz. How are your Flash Gitz doing?

Tommygun
12-10-2008, 09:52
-Faolan, I photograph out under the porch and my digital camera makes the colors all look brighter.

-Ironjens, the FW model does have the door gunners.
I did use the Catachan torsos with the open vest because I wanted a Vietnam gunner look.
I completely forgot about those Flash Gitz. I need to redo their heads. At 25 points in the new codex, I will never use them in a game, but I like to have a complete collection.
That is the price of a Terminator!

-Shadowphrakt, remember not to drink and paint, the mini you save my be your own.;)

Here are the Nobs unpainted. The one with the A-bomb boss pole is my favorite.
I turn their slugas into shootas and cut off the big choppa for power claws.

Tommygun
19-10-2008, 22:51
Here are the Nobs painted up.
Had some fun with the Boss poles.
I gave a First Gen. night scope to one of them too.

Ironjens
19-10-2008, 23:06
top notch work as always. I'm in awe of your modelling skills Tommy, keep it up!

sigur
19-10-2008, 23:16
A very, very amusing new take on backbanners. You're doing a great job there, tommygun. The painting is a bit rough in places but the conversions are top notch. Thumbs up for you buddy!

redstarone
20-10-2008, 00:00
There is only one word to describe the genius behind those boss poles. That word is "Boss".

Great work as always tommygun!

Faolan
20-10-2008, 02:36
Where'd you get the street signs from, TG?

Tommygun
25-10-2008, 08:23
Box O Dread
Finished off the last of my dreads. I'm at 20 now.
I'm also working on a sonic hammer for one of them and will start painting the Marauder aircraft tomorrow too.

-Faolan, I down loaded the signs off the net. Just printed them out and glued them to plasticard.

-Tom.

Putty
25-10-2008, 08:58
this is why orcs is the most charismatic race in 40k.

http://warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47067&d=1224456261

awesome awesome stuff... keep them coming!

Tommygun
26-10-2008, 01:12
Thanks Putty, here is what I'm working on right now.

It's a sonic seismic hammer. I made it about 50% too large.
I Did not have a dread near me when I built it and I over estimated the size.
I still think it is usable though.
My version uses four hydraulic pistons with something like a thunder hammer on each piston head.
So what do you guys think. Is it too big?

Hammer Time

bugbait_nz
26-10-2008, 01:56
I think you have been influenced by your orks!! would suit a ork dread OK!
Might be a bit on the big side, paint it up and post another pic, its nots completely over the top, maybe shorten its movement mechanism?

Question about your other Dread, 3rd pic in post 335 with all of the fine wrtiing on it, is that a transfer or free hand? looks very cool!!

Bugbait out

Rahveel
26-10-2008, 02:39
hell no, the size is perfict, actually fairly realistic for what is esentually a 40k battering ram.

Tommygun
26-10-2008, 11:34
Bugbait, those are transfers.
I just finished making a smaller piston ram.
I also magnetized it so I can switch it later on after I paint it.
Have not decided witch one I like best.

omgitsduane
26-10-2008, 11:48
Another impressive log! The tank on the first page was damn well done and the ork stuff is fantastic.
I could never scratch build an entire warhound like that so kudos to you good sir!

Just quickly wanted to say "by the beard of Zeus!" because I can't imagine anything you couldn't make, that huge bommer was fantastic, all the planes (don't know the names) are absolutely brilliant and even the simple stuff like klaws are great.
You have a gift sir, well and truly and I hope to see more of this crazy stuff.

And the seismic hammer? BRILLIANT! GW should be looting your ideas and models cos I'm sure we would all pay to have these.

OH and you have to have spent thousands on plasticard by now right?

Faolan
26-10-2008, 12:57
Interesting idea for the seismic hammer.

Solun Decius
27-10-2008, 11:17
Ooooh, this is a nice log that I've neglected.
Very impressive scratchbuilds and good painting all round, both marines and greenskin filth!
Mad props for your box o'dread too! :D

I'll be following this from now on!

Tommygun
28-10-2008, 22:45
Finished both versions of the Seismic Hammer.
I think I'm leaning towards the bigger one.

-omgitsduane, over the last 10 years I probable have spend a few thousands on plastic.

Xenoid
28-10-2008, 23:12
Now that's a different take on the seismic hammer! Good to see varying ideas for it. The connecting armature seem a bit frail from the front when the large hammer is on, but it's probably only because of the close-fitting bolters arm casting it a bit off balance. As for which of the two variants to go with, I'd have taken the smaller one by far; much better balance, and better proportions.

Eater of Small Things
05-11-2008, 22:25
I've said it before, but I love this dreadnought. Good paintjob too. The metal showing through where the paint has been chipped away is well-done.

And the Nob with the road-signs on the previous page is hilarious. I may have to loot your idea of signage. It would go a long way to improving my city terrain.

Tommygun
22-11-2008, 10:47
Hello all, I Started a new project that I have been thinking about for a long time.
Does every city in the Imperium of a million worlds have to be a gray Gothic Ann Rice paradise?
Did the Inquisition kill off all the interior decorators?
Do DIY stores of the 41st Millennium only stock gray paint?
I'm planing on building an Imperial city based on Art Deco architecture.
It will be an intact city that has not seen fighting....yet.
It will have color and curves and no gargoyles. Well, unless it is attack by Tyranids.
This is going to be a long term project I will be doing in between other projects.
I may only build a new building every 2 or 3 months.
Perhaps 9 to 12 buildings total when done. This first building will probable be the largest.
I loosely basing it on the third photo of the bus depot.

warflag
22-11-2008, 11:20
This is a very good idea. I shall be surprised if it does not turn out good!

Just an idea: To tie the art-deco architecture into a scifi world it might be worth a try to go for different colours i.E. not the gayland palette.

Other than that this reminds me of "the forbidden planet" somehow, or those marsmen-attack movies from back in the day.

Good luck, and have fun!

Cheers
Bart

Trukson
22-11-2008, 11:26
Awesome!
Fluff-wise, alot of the battles in the 41st millenium are fought on "battlefields" since there are (a whole bunch of) "vital points" throughout the galaxy that the races seem to consistently fight over. Forge Worlds, Warp Portals, Lost Planets teeming with possible technology/food/resources/babies to devour/whatever. All of those "classic" Battlefields that we have been bombarded with since the dawn of Games Workshop (im 30+ so ive seen my fair share of different battlefields).

Sure weve seen the awesome landscapes of Cityfight and sprawling Necromunda tables with more or less intact buildings, but building a table that brings the fight to the Suburbs!!! SUPERB!

I can really imagine the scene where the rich faily is sitting down at the breakfast table and a Hormagaunt scuttles by outside the window! This would make a kickass movie.......

Faolan
22-11-2008, 13:48
I think I'd hit it up with an Art-Noveu (I butchered that spelling, I'm sure) facade and call it good, TG.

Also, I might suggest watching the original Metropolis and doing up some buildings in that style, it'd fit classically well, I think.

Tommygun
22-11-2008, 23:47
Thank for the suggestions. Art Deco does have a 50's SciFi feel to it.
Color wise this building will be painted a lot like the picture.
Two shades of blue and some white trim. most of the builds will be white or tan with a color trim like red doors and windows.
Maybe some pin striping too.
Faolan, I was planning on adding a little bit of Art Nouveau decoration painted on the entrances of some builds.
Also some Art Nouveau posters. Nothing too elaborate though.
If I can get the money I need, maybe some glow wire to make neon lights on the out side of the buildings.
For just a touch of Miami Vice.:cool:

bugbait_nz
23-11-2008, 02:49
Like the idea, going to do a Burger King hamburger outlet as well????
Hope this does not have top live on top of the washing machine next to the Bomba!!

Bugbait out

Tommygun
24-11-2008, 20:59
Alright, I have added quarter inch tile sheets to most of the sides.
I need to cut more windows and tile the back, plus add railing to the two balconies.
Ran into trouble trying to bend the tile sheets.
Because they are pre-scored, they often break when you try and bend them around a curved surface.
I used up all of my tile pieces so I have to wait until I receive more in the mail.
So there may be a week or two before there is an other up date.
Bye for now.

Faolan
25-11-2008, 02:01
Blowdryer, Tommy.

Or really hot water.

gonzosbignose
26-11-2008, 12:51
When can i move in?

regards

Tommygun
30-11-2008, 21:16
Faolan, I solved the breakage problem by pre-breaking them along the scored lines of the tiles.
I bent them enough that they break, but not separate from the plastic sheet.

Daniel, as for moving in, I don't rent to war gamers. They leave plastic shavings and paint stains all over the place.

I have started painting it. Primed it white and then a quick shot of light blue.
The paint job is still rough and needs to be touch up.
I will add dark blue to the lower part of the building and some trim at the top.
A lot of detailing and window work to do.

Note: The Warseer server will not let me upload my pictures right now. So I will try and post them later. Bad Server, Bad Server!

redstarone
30-11-2008, 21:50
Well, Tom... Youve done it yet again.

I really like the Ironclad. It looks just like the GW CAD drawings. Like always you have replicated it perfectly. I really do love the sesmic hammer too!

Now that building.. im stunned. I knew you had skill with the card but builds too? My god man you are a plastic modeling king!

Silly server was giving me problems as well. Damn you server! I need my Tommygun fix!!

sigur
01-12-2008, 00:05
Impressive stuff as always. Your converted Dread looks very nice and I quite like your interpretation of this seismic hammer. The painting looks nice too. I think the battle damage could be improved but I'm probably not the right person to ask about painting battle damage. ;)

What I really like though is this building you're making. Very, very neat. Keep it up!

Tommygun
01-12-2008, 00:40
Sigur, yes I tried to do a three dimensional paint chip affect on the dread.
It was the first time I tried it and it was not very successful.

Matt, thanks I started out scratch building 25 years ago making architectural models for drafting class I was taking at the time.
I have a bunch of wooden buildings around, but they are the wrong scale for 40k.

Faolan
01-12-2008, 01:25
Woah, TG dates the hell out of himself.

Tommygun
01-12-2008, 14:10
I was able to sneak these in when the server wasn't looking.
The Hal 9000 server just told me to take a stress pill.

El Presedente
01-12-2008, 14:27
That is one badass piece of scenery, I love it.

Wolf Scout Ewan
01-12-2008, 16:21
I love that building Tommy! Great work!

Slaaaaaanesh
03-12-2008, 12:44
Awesome building, what are you going to put on as signage? I don't know if they have a specific slang world for buses in the 40k world (trying to think back to any Gaunts Ghost novels which bight of had a bus)....'Fething bus stop!' . A food place could be called the 'Imperial diner', sorry enough rambling.

Slaaaaaanesh

Tommygun
04-12-2008, 03:51
I was thinking of just putting "Emporium" on it. Probable won't use it as a bus stop.
I have an idea for two other buildings "Adeptus Mechanicus 24 hour pluming" and "Soylent Green Catering".
I am doing the detail paint on it right now.

Faolan, for the record I'm 42 and I don't look a day over 41 and a half.

bugbait_nz
04-12-2008, 06:16
I dont think there are many around that will get the Soylent Green bit, must be showing my age!

Nice building, just needs some bullet holes and smashed windows!

Bugbait out

Rahveel
04-12-2008, 06:46
Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!! <is carted off>

nice stuff tommy

Col. Wales
04-12-2008, 09:10
I dont think there are many around that will get the Soylent Green bit, must be showing my age!
Bugbait out

You kidding SNL and the late Phil Hartman used the soylent green bit several times. Soylent purple, yellow, etc.

as folks have said great looking buildings they kinda remind me of the buildings in GTA Vice City (aka 1980's Miami)

KRG-23
05-12-2008, 12:10
Good Lord, you are doing an incredible plastic card work ! Hats off to you mate :)

Makes me wanna (attempt to) do the same some day ;)

Keep up the good work and keep on showing us everything !

Rutteger1
15-12-2008, 01:22
OH MY GOD. TOMMY GUN... YOU ARE THE CONVERTINIST MEK BOY EVER. you have so many scratch builds and awesome conversions...

T_55
16-12-2008, 13:15
That building is intensely good, much like the rest of your stuff Tommygun. I'm looking forwards to seeing more.

Shangrila
20-12-2008, 17:09
After carefully reviewing your work i havebut one question... Do you take commissions? :D

Tommygun
28-12-2008, 21:47
Thanks for the interest everyone.
Well between Finals, Christmas, and a Trojan virus (Thank you Animefever.org :mad:)
I finally got it done. I originally wanted a hot tar and gravel roof, but instead just when with a hot mopped tar roof.
I wanted to get it done so I could get back to painting my Marauder bomber.
So here it is with everyone queued up to get in.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0961ca.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0962ca.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0963ca.jpg]

Totenkopf
29-12-2008, 01:31
DAMN youuuuuu... :mad:

Now I'm addicted :cries:

T_55
29-12-2008, 05:22
Their lining up for the night club!

Very cool.

Tommygun
31-12-2008, 04:15
It only took me a year, but I finally found out how to make the pictures bigger!
When it comes to computer skills, I suck harder than a three dollar hooker on a Saturday night.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0964ca.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0965ca.jpg

redstarone
31-12-2008, 04:23
I suck harder than a three dollar hooker on a Saturday night.

Really, thats pretty hard man. Ive heard it can and will leave sores.. :wtf:

No seriously, that building is AWESOME! The name you settled on works perfectly for 40k or any modern/scifi mini game. Paint job is pretty darn good too! Plus those posters.. You sir amazed me yet again.

Tommygun
01-01-2009, 08:47
Happy New Year

...and why are you reading this and not getting bombed out of your head and chasing after someone?

Shadowphrakt
01-01-2009, 12:57
Happy New Year

...and why are you reading this and not getting bombed out of your head and chasing after someone?

Happy New Year Tommygun!

That building looks ace - now you need cheesy teen gangs in it...

Faolan
01-01-2009, 14:37
It really does look good, Tommygun. Really damned good.

And I read that since we had NYE ahead of you here in Australia, and I think my wife might object if I was out chasing after someone!

Damned fembots...

Tommygun
01-01-2009, 22:17
Well it has been a while, but I started back on the bomber.
The paint looks pretty rough as I just pulled off the tape after spraying.
I will add black and white invasion stripes to the hull and wings as well as the anger parrot nose.
I'm basing this off of a WWII B-25. I hope to have it done in a week.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0967a.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0966a.jpg

can't_decide
02-01-2009, 04:45
Really liking the paint so far. I have a quick question on your rivets there. Did you use rivets that stick out, or did you drill them in on your Marauder? I've finished the tail end on mine minus any rivets, but I can't decide on how to do them.

Tommygun
02-01-2009, 05:05
Really liking the paint so far. I have a quick question on your rivets there. Did you use rivets that stick out, or did you drill them in on your Marauder? I've finished the tail end on mine minus any rivets, but I can't decide on how to do them.

I drilled them in. I don't have a very clear picture of them on the Marauder, but I did them the same way on my Valkyrie.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0873ca.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0862ca.jpg

razormasticator
02-01-2009, 13:02
man that Valk is amazing... you nailed it bro, nailed it!

can't_decide
02-01-2009, 15:18
Thanks! I just have to get a smaller bit now.

Hicks
02-01-2009, 16:58
My god all those scratchbuilt vehicles are insane. Seriously, those models look better than FW stuff.

SDKFZ
02-01-2009, 17:07
And i thought i was a nutter....your great !!

Cheers to you !
How do you find the time ?????????

Ill stick like glue !

/ SDKFZ

Tommygun
03-01-2009, 00:12
Thanks guys, here are some miscellaneous small projects I have been working on.
They are a bit fuzzy, so some detail is lost. My cameras Macro is not great.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0992ca.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0979c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0990aa.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0972ca.jpg

can't_decide
03-01-2009, 00:14
Nice work, they are very crisp.

Tommygun
03-01-2009, 00:15
My First Sister squad! And some out of work Governor.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0975ca.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0974ca.jpg

Faolan
03-01-2009, 02:40
Ok Tommy, piece of advice- for the big photos on the inline text?

Photo
<hit enter>
Photo
<repeat as necessary>

I really like the librarian on the bike.

Tinners
03-01-2009, 02:49
The Marauder is fantastic looking...I hate you. :P

SDKFZ
03-01-2009, 15:40
Me to. me to !!!!!!!!!! :D

What have we done to deserve this ???

Your the man !!

/ SDKFZ

gonzosbignose
05-01-2009, 13:03
You're so bloody talented...

sometimes i wonder why i even bother!

regards

Rutteger1
08-01-2009, 01:13
hey tommy, im building an ironclad, and i was going for a piston thing too, but im fairly new, and the bits i have are limited. I was going to shave off the gems on an eldar scatterlazer, with a halo 3 grav hammer box on the top... but I really would rather have it like yours... would you mind telling my what you built it with? please?

Tommygun
08-01-2009, 02:02
Well lets see. I made two versions and I basically telescoped a number of hollow tubes together.
I use Plastruct and Evergreen solid and hollow tubes.
I also used three different size holes punches and a hexagonal rod (to make hex bolt heads) for extra detailing.
Hope that helps.

The Small Ram: 2 1/16 inches long overall

3/32 solid rod
1/8 hollow tube
3/16 hollow tube
1/4 hollow tube

The Larger Ram: 2 5/8 inches long overall
1/8 hollow tube
3/16 hollow tube
1/4 hollow tube
5/16 hollow tube

The Upper Arm:

3/32 solid rod
1/8 hollow tube

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0941c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0943c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0945c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0952c.jpg

Shadowphrakt
08-01-2009, 06:09
Very nice Tommygun, I like the smaller size, definately looks more...uhm...balanced :D

But still brilliant work.

sigur
08-01-2009, 07:49
Argh, I honestly didn't notice that the Marauder was scratchbuilt. I love the colour scheme. If you have an impressive piece like this, it also should have an impressive colour scheme.

The Valkyrie looks amazing. Have I asked you how thick the sheets of plasticard are you're using?

The Space Marines look neat, I really like the converted Librarian but the favorite has to be the governor. He looks spot on and really reflects what the fluff usually says about these probably least-loved individuals of the 40k universe. ;)

Lord_Agamemnon
08-01-2009, 21:34
Wow! I don't think I've seen so many cool models in one thread ever before !

Rutteger1
08-01-2009, 21:44
thanks tommy! (Im going to a craft store now :D)

Tommygun
08-01-2009, 23:26
Have I asked you how thick the sheets of plasticard are you're using?

Sigur, I use 1mm for the main structure and 0.5mm for panel details on top of that.

Here is an update:
I put down the main colors. All that is left is all the detail painting, decals and clean up painting.
I'm painting the bombs next and the pilots.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0997c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0996c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0994c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/b25-434899-main-1.jpg

can't_decide
09-01-2009, 02:04
That's looking great Tommy! It's awesome to see all of it coming together. I can't wait until mine is done as well. I really like the colors, very "Hey here we are and here comes a whole lot flaming death to you!"

Colonel Jacka
09-01-2009, 12:04
Great work mate a very impressive panit job!

Shadowphrakt
09-01-2009, 16:49
That is truly, very impressive Tommy, I love it. How much would it cost to commission you to do one of these? :D

Still, it's awesome. The amount of detail is supoib.

bugbait_nz
10-01-2009, 05:42
Starting to look really good, like the colour choice.

Bugbait out

SDKFZ
10-01-2009, 19:25
GREAT JOB !! Like those "Invasionstripes", itll be a awsome model.

Longing to see it completed!!

/ SDKFZ

Tommygun
18-01-2009, 02:17
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. All done now, Finally!
I kept getting side tracked by my Warwagon and nobs.
I'm pretty happy with the paint job.
Did a little bit of weathering on it, but not too much.
I wish the fan blades came out better, but I rushed through them.
It is still dwarfed by the Blasta Bommer though. I'm pleased with how it came out.
I may have photos of the warwagon next week, but until then here are the pictures.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1000ca.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1005ca.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1004ca.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1001ca.jpg

Tommygun
18-01-2009, 02:19
More stuff to look at.
The bombs are fully magnetized.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF0999ca.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1003ca.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1002ca.jpg

Dictator
18-01-2009, 02:35
Impressively done. Have you used it in game yet?

Tommygun
18-01-2009, 04:33
No I haven't used it yet. I don't have enough guard stuff assembled to field an army.
I have a bunch of Krieg troops and tanks for a small army, but I'm waiting for the new Codex to come out before I decide what to do.
I have never played a guard army. No one to play with.:cries:

can't_decide
18-01-2009, 19:19
That looks great! Have you decided how you are going to base it yet? Probably not if you want it to work with a running theme of guard. Oh well, GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!

Slaaaaaanesh
19-01-2009, 07:59
Brilliant work again there Tommygun, and a nice paintjob to show it off with. Were the bombs scratchbuilt too? I've got an though in my head about warming up some plasti- tube then squishing the ends together over a forming block.

sigur
19-01-2009, 08:33
Sigur, I use 1mm for the main structure and 0.5mm for panel details on top of that.

Thanks for that, I also got those. Which means that I can build just as awesome stuff as you do (after about two lifetimes of exercising). :p

The Marauder is looking aces. I like the "nose artwork" (what's the correct term for that?) and how the numbers look. The colour scheme is very effective. What bugs me about most FW (imperial) flyers I see is that they look very bland and unimpressive because they usually are grey and black airbrushed which just doesn't the models justice.

SDKFZ
19-01-2009, 14:38
Looks wonderful, lucky you !! :D

/ SDKFZ

Zwing Zwang
19-01-2009, 14:53
That's one GREAT looking Marauder there!
Very well done on both the building and the painting.

Shallowain
19-01-2009, 16:52
Great work.

Are there templates for the marauder?

Faolan
20-01-2009, 02:21
So Tommy, when you gonna move to building EVE ships? Hehe

Tommygun
20-01-2009, 21:57
Hey everyone, just finished a Battle Wagon.
I'll post pictures in a minute, but thought I should answer a few questions first.
To answer your questions:
-I'm going to share the base with the Blasta bommer, at least for now?
-The bombs are 1/48 scale Hasegawa bomb accessory.
I have had little luck trying to get the curved and rounded ends on things like bombs.
-I made it without templates, but I have sense found a nice set of templates for a marauder.
-Faolan, If I make an EVE ship, will someone come by and take all my hard work away?

-By the way Sigur, I just call it Nose Art.

Tommygun
20-01-2009, 22:07
We haz Da Teknologee; We can make it Bigga, Fasta, Stronga, and more Dakka.
Here are the first pictures. I widen it and made it longer for a beefier look.
As always I have magnetized everything. It just wouldn't be a war wagon without a Death Rolla.
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1008c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1009c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1006c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1010c.jpg

Eater of Small Things
20-01-2009, 22:09
stunning work on that marauder destroyer, both the construction and paintjob.

We should all got together some day to play Aeronautica with 40k-scale planes. It would probably need to be done on a basketball court or some other large space, but I'm sure it would be an experience to remember.

*EDIT*

Whoa, battlewagon! :D

Nice work on the extended tracks.

Tommygun
20-01-2009, 22:09
Part two:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1011c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1012c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1013c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1017c.jpg

Tommygun
20-01-2009, 22:10
Part three:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1019c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1020c.jpg

Putty
20-01-2009, 22:24
You are the King of Plasticard!

Your Battlewagon is fantastic work...

Raellos
20-01-2009, 22:39
That's amazing Tommygun! I love the Marauder too. Not too sure about the Apache though.

Ironjens
20-01-2009, 23:01
Awsome! The marauder is very nice and that battlewagon looks just the right size. I'm as always amazed by your plasticard skills.

howie
20-01-2009, 23:30
That is an awesome blog your creating, i especially like... everything. Your take on the battlewagon is really cool, its what the actual kit should be!

One question though. Why've you stopped at only one warhound? Why not have 4? 5? 6? and then donate some to a worthy cause like, the get howie a warhound cause?

Awesome blog.

Faolan
21-01-2009, 03:36
That thing's the size of a bloody Baneblade now, TG.

Tommygun
21-01-2009, 03:57
That thing's the size of a bloody Baneblade now, TG.

As it should be.
By the way, did you get a chance to see that movie?

Faolan
21-01-2009, 04:32
Naw, keep forgetting to snag the player. When I do, I'll put it on the laptop and have a lookee-see.

BTW mate, go over to The Waaagh and post that battlewagon up!

gonzosbignose
21-01-2009, 08:20
Holy S@*t that looks AMAZING!

My good its just incredible.

You can supersize anything with absolute ease... and damn it looks so good

Regards

SDKFZ
21-01-2009, 10:56
Looks awsome !!!

Like the idea of doing a Battlewagon in the "old" size.
Started an oldstyle Skullhamma a few years ago, maybe i should take it up again, now that i have seen your Battlewagon the inspiration is back..............maybe......

/ SDKFZ

Tommygun
06-02-2009, 23:10
The War Wagon is done now.
It's your basic Goff paint job. None of that sissy red paint!
Don't get me started on blue or yellow.
This guy has seen some wear and is held together by rust and sheer Orkyness.
As always everything is magnetized.

Part 1
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1024ca.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1025ca.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1026ca.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1027ca.jpg

Tommygun
06-02-2009, 23:12
Part 2

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1028ca.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1029ca.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1030ca.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1031ca.jpg

Tommygun
06-02-2009, 23:14
Part 3

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1032ca.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1033ca.jpg

Solun Decius
06-02-2009, 23:19
Dude! Sweet! (DUUUUU-DAH ... SAWEEEEE-TAH!)

The wagon is brilliant. Very unique, very huge, and very well done!
Wouldn't want to end up on the wrong side of that!

Eater of Small Things
07-02-2009, 04:40
I love the diversity of weathered and corroded metal. This is my favorite wagon so far. It's cool that your painting skills are as top-notch as your scratch-building. I can't even tell what sections were added without going back and looking at the previous images. Really nice work, Tom.

Faolan
07-02-2009, 05:04
The Deffrolla is godly.

Although you're mistaken, you aren't QUITE done yet. Look at one of the gunners.. his gun's half painted, the other half (namely the barrel and shroud) is still sprue grey.

Would have pointed it out sooner, but I'm on 64k for a few more days, so it took quite a long time to open the big pictures.

NotElite
07-02-2009, 05:26
I love the drain in the middle of the flatbed.

Lepp
07-02-2009, 06:02
That's a great way of expanding the battlewagon - kudos!

laudarkul
07-02-2009, 07:07
Another perfect thread. Tks you showing us your skills.Tks.

OP master N
07-02-2009, 16:28
Awesome, as always!

Azmo

Tommygun
08-02-2009, 11:09
Although you're mistaken, you aren't QUITE done yet. Look at one of the gunners.. his gun's half painted, the other half (namely the barrel and shroud) is still sprue grey.

"What? The Barrels are painted!" ;)

What you are seeing is the silver high lighting on the barrels.
The light coming off it may look a bit gray.

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you like it.

Faolan
08-02-2009, 11:47
Hrm, odd, normally when the silver catches the light, it comes out a bright blur. ;)

Ah well.

chadenej
15-02-2009, 16:05
It's always a pleasure to come visit your log Tommygun: very good ideas of convershuns, perfect execution and paintjobs! please keep the good job! That's Battlewagon is great!

Tommygun
22-02-2009, 05:04
When I finished building an Exorcist I had all these left over parts so I build this Immolator out of them.
I also added styrene rods and green stuff to it to make it look like melting candles.
I'm not real happy with the flames.
I should have spent more time on them, but the green stuff was getting hard towards the end, even when I wet it with cold water.
I built a second custom Exorcist as well. Those pictures I'll post later tonight.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1035c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1046c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1044c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1043c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1042c.jpg

Gropius
22-02-2009, 08:14
That looks great! And it downright screams Warhammer 40k.

Tommygun
22-02-2009, 09:35
I'm pretty happy with how this Exorcist came out.
The lower half looks plain, but I will be paint something in those areas.
I originally planned to make a cathedral with organ pipes coming out the back,
but I didn't want to spend the time making a bunch of arched windows.
I think my laziness may have led to a better looking model.
Do you guys think the Aquila Chicken head came out right?

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1040ca.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1039c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1038c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1037c.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1041c.jpg

Ironjens
22-02-2009, 12:39
Amazing work as always. I don't know what's wrong with the candles, they look smashing to me.The chicken head looks alright. For the front you just might make a reversed spike pattern on the front most part mirroring the top front next to the head (the points with the rivets, that is), if you understand what I mean. I think that would really tie together the base and the superstructure :)

Wiseman
22-02-2009, 14:28
First I've seen of your log, and I have to say, its amazing, some of the greatest models I have ever seen in this thread alone. Has also given me the inspiration i think I needed to get out there and start having a go at doing the same thing.

can't_decide
22-02-2009, 15:56
eTommy they look great! I really like how plain the hull of the Exorcist is. It would look great with some murals, or a lot of purity seals on it. The chicken head turned out well. I do think too that you need some rivets on the superstructure, maybe an access panel or two, but it came out really well. I like how the candles look too. I think candles are really hard since you kind of have to wait until they are painted to get a full understanding of how they look, but I think covering it with candles will look awesome. It would also be great when painting it, if you used the candles as points of light for highlighting and shading too. A lot of effort, but the results, well........

SDKFZ
22-02-2009, 18:54
Way cool !! I like it !

How about some paint ? ;)

/ SDKFZ

lack0fbettername
22-02-2009, 20:09
Tommy, i haven't checked your log in a while but your pasticard work keeps getting better and better. (not that it was ever bad to begin with).

OP master N
23-02-2009, 07:18
Still doing magic with plasticard!
What amazes me, is the ingenuity and simlisity.
I'll just have to go through your log the next time I'm out of ideas...

Your work is inspirational.

Azmo

sigur
23-02-2009, 09:15
Stunning as always. It's nice how you mix GS'ed and plasticard candles on the Rhino. Any ideas about the "two hatches, one clear plastic cupola"-problem we all have with SoB Rhinos?

What I like the most about this Exorcist is these bracings on the sides. Very gothic and make the whole upper part of the chassis look less like a block. Generally, you've done an interesting job there. The GW model (which I adore) is very baroque and richly ornamented whereas yours is more modest and more gothic in appearance. Very interesting. Have you settled for a painting scheme for your SoB yet or is this just a little experiment in terms of scratchbuilding?

gonzosbignose
23-02-2009, 12:04
Tommy

You really are a sick puppy! Everytime i spot an update... i need to make sure ive been to the toilet just so i dont wee myself...

This WitchHunterWagon (everythings a wagon when you do orks) is... just amazing

regards

Tommygun
01-03-2009, 21:37
Thanks for the feed back.
Here are the changes I made:
-Added reversed spike pattern on bottom of hull.
-Added two small access panels on top, more rivets and will add purity seals.
My Exorcist didn't come with the clear cupola so I can't really give any ideas on it.
As for a paint scheme, I originally had planed on a black and red scheme.
After seeing Klaus's Zeus Tank, I'm thinking about heavily basing it on his paint scheme.
I don't paint as well as him, so I don't know if I can pull it off.
If I can't, I guess I can always paint over it. I'll try and have pictures next week.

Again, Thanks everyone.

Faolan
02-03-2009, 02:09
I'd chisel the eagle off the side door and put a big ol' Fleur, or Order symbol on it.

Tommygun
02-03-2009, 02:21
You are an hour too late. I just painted it.
I also could not find my FW fleur de lis, so I went with the eagles.

Faolan
02-03-2009, 02:51
Ah well, an hour late, a paintjob short. That's me!

Of course, you COULD have decal'd it if you couldn't find the FW Fleur originally...

BTW, still no luck so far figuring out how to unfold the model into a template.

tcraigen
02-03-2009, 10:16
Great looking Exorcist. I like the eagle prow on the top of the tank.

whitewookiee
02-03-2009, 10:58
........:0 WOW...... i mean really holy crap these are amazing....amazing builds the maraurder.....amazing the truck and titan....JAW DROPPINGLY SWEET.... dude hi 5

omgitsduane
07-03-2009, 05:03
I really prefer the way you make panels for your ork vehicles.
Most people will make square panels and cover the vehicle in them which I find looks pretty ordinary but you find a mix of shapes and inter-connecting pieces to make it a solid sheet of metal.
Everything here still amazes the hell out of me!

Col_Greif
12-03-2009, 10:59
I have been admiring your model skills for quite a while, but this Exorcist and Immolator truly ROCKS. I think they are truly awesome and I might steal the ideas for my SOB army :D.

Solun Decius
12-03-2009, 12:19
I love how you're taking the rhino conversions far out of the ordinary.
So you're building a whole church's interior on top of vehicles now?
The candles look great, I picked them out as candles (in a church type setting) on the first one before I read what they're supposed to be (and before I saw the one with a whole organ on top :D). Aquila head works for me too. Very good detail in everything ... over the top ornate but not too messy or clumsy (if that makes sense).

Greblord
13-03-2009, 14:00
A true master - and so prolific. I'm in awe, and also ashamed that it takes me so long to get my stuff built...

Keep it up, fellah!

Tommygun
15-03-2009, 09:50
Thanks for the input, it help me finalize the model.
I guess it does look like a church's alter. I hope it is not sacrilegious.
A lot of religions borrower from each other. The idea of Angels having wings came from the Babylonians.
The Sisters definitely borrow heavily from the Catholic church.
I painted source lighting around the candles, but my pictures are too fuzz to see it well.
It looks a little blunt, it is the first time I have use this technique and I need to learn to make it more subtle.
I had to make changes to the paint job. I wanted to do the skulls on the sides like Klaus did on his Zeus tank, but my "skull painting-Fu" was week.
So I tried something different. I printed out some images I down loaded from the internet.
The images are reduces to 25% of their original size to fit on the rhino.
Basically I glued them to the rhino to look like banners and large Purity Seals.
Do you guys think the paper banners look OK?

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1048ca.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1049ca.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1050ca.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1051ca.jpg

Tommygun
15-03-2009, 09:52
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1052ca.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1053ca.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1054ca.jpghttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj133/tomweave/DSCF1055ca.jpg

elotsip
15-03-2009, 14:07
Wow, very impressive work there with the excorcist and immolator. Excellent painting and the plasticard work is top notch. Keep it up!

lack0fbettername
15-03-2009, 14:10
Looks Ace Tommy

G.Hawke
15-03-2009, 14:12
very nice work, definatly giving the sisters a much more... sisterly feel.

hawke

rewolf31
15-03-2009, 14:21
looking awesome

Mega Nutz
15-03-2009, 14:48
Fantastic builds, love the battlewagon and SOB rhino conversion!

chadenej
15-03-2009, 14:56
Awesomely amazing. That's said

Faolan
15-03-2009, 15:43
Looks great, all that said..

Think you need to change some of the devotional works.. "Sigmar" kinda dates you into the wrong game, my friend.

Also the icons over the front fenders could use a tad more colour, perhaps.

OutOfContext
15-03-2009, 16:37
I echo everyone else's comment about how brilliant the Exorcist is.
It's absolutely miles better than GWs.
All the detail is mind-blowing :eek:

Col_Greif
16-03-2009, 00:38
You got a lot of amazing stuff here. I love your aircrafts, particulary the blasta bomma, I just got to get around to building myself one of those. I also really like the deff rolla on your battlewagon. Very inspiring work indeed.

Col_Greif

Tommygun
16-03-2009, 03:51
Think you need to change some of the devotional works.. "Sigmar" kinda dates you into the wrong game, my friend.

Faolan, Sigmar is Willamina Sigmar, the chief motor head of the Sororitas Transport Division.
The document you see is the extended powertrain warranty for the rhino.

Sigmar will warrant each 40,000 through 40,001 model year rhino for 5 years or 160,000 kms. with no deductible, whichever comes first, from the original in-service date of the vehicle, for warrantable repairs which are required as a result of defects due to material and/or workmanship to the Powertrain components as listed below:

Engine

Cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, turbocharger, supercharger and all internal lubricated parts as well as manifolds, flywheel, water pump, promethean fuel injector, harmonic balancer and engine mount. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

Transmission/Transaxle/ Transfer Case

Case, all internal lubricated parts, torque converter, transfer case, transmission/transaxle mounts, seals, and gaskets.

Drive Systems

Final drive housing, all internal lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, locking hubs, front differential actuator, supports, front and rear hub bearings, seals and gaskets. (Machine Spirit is not a standard options for rhinos and is not covered under Drive Systems)

Courtesy Transportation Program

During the warranty coverage period, this Sigmar program provides alternate transportation and/or reimbursement of certain transportation expenses under the Courtesy Transportation Program if your vehicle requires warranty repairs. Several transportation options are available including Thunderhawk Transporter. Refer to your Owner Manual for details, including reservation of rights, or consult your dealer/retailer.

Roadside Assistance Program

Sigmar is proud to offer the response, security, and convenience of the 24-hour Roadside Assistance Program for a period of 5 years or 160,000 kms., whichever comes first. Refer to your Owner Manual for details, or consult your dealer/retailer. The Roadside Assistance contact information is listed in the Customer Assistance Offices section of the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

What Is Not Covered

All the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, Demon possession, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel. For complete details refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

This is a supplement to the express conditions and warranties described in the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet. Other coverages are not extended or altered due to this supplement. Any warranty disputes will be settled by an Inquisitional ombudsman.

I know......too much time on my hands.

Arkaedin
16-03-2009, 04:05
Good work! And good thing you bought the Warranty for it, I hear Sisters of Battle aren't great drivers (heh, women. Am I right? :D :p)

T_55
16-03-2009, 06:12
Gah! More conversions from the conversion freak.

Great as usual, the crucifiction is quite suiting.

bugbait_nz
16-03-2009, 06:59
Very cool, enough said, so whats next?????????????????????????????

Bugbait out

Faolan
16-03-2009, 07:32
Don't know, but I heard a rumour TG might be working on a custom tank or APC ;)

Ironjens
16-03-2009, 22:06
Wow, just totally amazingly stunning. I think the printed paper works very well, an idea that might save me a lot of time, if only I had a color printer...

If I ever start a sister army you can bet that all your ideas will be nicked!

Good job as always

Eater of Small Things
17-03-2009, 17:41
Great paintjob on the exorcist, Tom. Those candles ended up looking nice and waxy. Hope you keep finding new things to sculpt with the green stuff.

Tommygun
22-03-2009, 00:36
Well here is a project I am working on for Faolan. It is a vehicle that he designed. It is a modular armored troop design that can be changed out with different parts into different uses.
There is also a multiple rock launcher version he has designed to be compatible with it.
What you are seeing is the back area of the troop carrier. I temporarily taped it together so Faolan can see it together.
It is being made in pieces so Faolan can cast them in resin. All that red stuff is Bondo I used to smooth out surfaces.
There is also no detailing on them yet, such as panel lines and rivet holes.

bugbait_nz
22-03-2009, 02:22
Looks good so far, is it going to be tracked or wheeled? if tracked are you going to scratch them yourself?

sigur
22-03-2009, 02:35
Can't comment on the new vehicle but the Exorcist turned out great. I think the golden parts could do with a little more shading and highlighting actually. I like the golden parts right underneath the exhaust pipes which look like the Inquisition =I=. Very nice touch. The posters and scrolls and all are a fabulous idea and look really good. Keep it up!

lack0fbettername
22-03-2009, 04:15
Do you have any sketches of the APC or something that gives us an idea of the final product?

Faolan
22-03-2009, 10:29
He's working from a basic low-poly model I did up in (laugh all you want, Lack) Wings3d.

It's a tracked chassis, as well.

First one is the parts that are the same throughout all the variants, the rest are various shots and permutations of the IFV.

*Edit*

Looking very good TG. *editted out tab comment, I was wrong about my own design*

lack0fbettername
22-03-2009, 16:48
Looks good Faolan.

Ive never used this wings3D, i may have to check it out.

Does this guy have a name?
What is he going to be use as in game?

Faolan
22-03-2009, 17:05
You know, I had a name for it at one point in time, I just don't remember. I remember that the rocket system is named "Adder".

Wings is a good, simple solid program. Doesn't do a lot of the things as easily as some other programs, but I was able to learn it fairly quickly - and I still haven't made heads nor tails of 3ds Max.

The IFV will be used as a Chimera type, since it's the same size to within a few millimeters. The Adder will be a Basilisk replacement (again, rockets instead of guns).

And when I start on my Bolter Bimbos, they might get some as well.

Originally I was going to get these CNC'd out, but then things came up and that wasn't possible, so I asked TG how his schedule looked and promised bribes. I have to say that I knew his quality of work was high (hence asking him), but I'm amazed still at how well it's truly coming together.

Also, Lack0f, if you're looking for projects, I have a few other designs that could use real-ification :D

AcrophobicPixie
22-03-2009, 17:20
That looks awesome. I'm happy that one of Fao's designs is finally getting off of his pc and into real life.

Now myself (and the rest of his friends) are probably never going to hear the end of this and his school girl squeals of happiness.:p

*runs to hide behind her desk*

SDKFZ
22-03-2009, 18:30
Im looking forward to seeing this project unfolding.

Keep it up !!

/ SDKFZ

lack0fbettername
22-03-2009, 21:23
Sorry Faolan i gave up the scratchbuilding for other people business a long while back.

Ive never used 3D max, im an autoCad junkie myself.

Faolan
23-03-2009, 03:13
I haven't used Autocad since.. well a long time. I really do miss it, and it'd make converting some of your template PDFs into DXF files for the MDX-40 to cut a lot easier, hehe.

lack0fbettername
23-03-2009, 16:01
I have long drempt of using a CNC type machine to make cutting plasticard templates easier.

Faolan
23-03-2009, 16:18
Well, I have access to an MDX-40 via a local mate, and flat parcel post to the US isn't much actually.

Just gimme the bloody DXF files and nobody gets hurt!

Tommygun
27-03-2009, 09:25
This up date is for Faolan. I took a look at how the Styker and other modern APC's attach their applique armor.
A lot seem to use these large washers and bolt/rivets to hold them on.
I wanted your opinion on them? I did just one side of the APC. I would also do a few on the front too.
If you don't like them I can sand them off?
I also did two more roofs. One is for a large bonus turret.
I used large double doors so you can see inside better.
The round one could be used as a mortar carrier as well. I used a big boxy turret, because this seems to be the trend in armor vehicles today.
They rely on advanced composite armor more than on sharp angles.
It is a little bear looking. It still needs hatches, vision blocks and smoke launchers.
Not sure about the barrel ether? I also added diamond tread to the back floor.
But I'm genetically incapable of photographing with an auto focus, so you can't tell.

Tommygun
27-03-2009, 09:27
Part two of photos

Faolan
27-03-2009, 11:35
I'd do simple panel lines and light rivets, ala the pre-applique M-2 Bradley. Then make a seperate set of panels that can overlay it with the applique and big ol' bolts, that way they can stack on overtop like the Italeri Panther tank w/Zimmerit pieces.

Turret looks ok, reminds me of a mix between the Cromwell and the Australian M113 fire support variant.

I'd keep the applique on the turret as it, however.

---

I also really, really adore that round hatched mortar pit top, it's truly great.

SSG Snuffy
30-03-2009, 12:30
I love the look of the chassis, but I'm less fond of the turret. I think the vertical sides make it look too boxy to fit the angles of the chassis. Maybe if it were a little wider at the bottom than at the top?