PDA

View Full Version : Manfred( 1 or 2)

-Grimgorironhide-
05-02-2008, 03:49
This has confused me for a while are Manfred the acolyte and the normal manfred the same vampires or two with the same names.
some light on this would be really apreciated.
cheers:D

loveless
05-02-2008, 03:54
Same guy, different time periods from what I understand

-Grimgorironhide-
05-02-2008, 04:04
ah i thought so.

Cromenon
05-02-2008, 16:30
Yes, and I assume you cannot field both at the same time...:cheese::p

Balgor
05-02-2008, 16:34
Yes, and I assume you cannot field both at the same time...:cheese::p

You may be right, I was having a quick flick through the book the other day, and for people like Vlad etc, it says you can only have one Vlad in your army.

So I guess it would say you can only have one Manfred in your army.

Dairym
05-02-2008, 17:37
It does indeed say you can only have one Manfred.

I don't know how watertight it is by literal interpretation, but the concept is there.

heinrichvoncarstein
05-02-2008, 17:52
I would guess that you can't field the mannfred that was after vlad died with vlad too.

Stormbrow II
05-02-2008, 20:59
The Acolyte is Vlad's BFF.
Vlad is the only person that can use the ring at that stage.
Vlad dies.
Count Mannfred heads the family and now wears the ring.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
05-02-2008, 21:17
The Acolyte is Vlad's BFF.
Vlad is the only person that can use the ring at that stage.
Vlad dies.
Count Mannfred heads the family and now wears the ring.

No he doesn't.

It's lost. And the Von Carstein trilogy is buried with Jerek Von Carstein (former head of the White Wolves, embraced by Vlad....) in a Mountain somwhere.

And Jerek was buried alive to guard it....

Voltaire
05-02-2008, 21:27
Its Mannfred the Acolyte and Mannfred the Elder, both are on the same page in the new book but there are pronounced differences between the two.

The Von Carstein ring is not an item that Mannfred can have. As Mad Dok Grotsnik said, the ring is lost with Jerek Von Carstein (depending on whether you believe the Von Carstein trilogy as being 'canon).

Stormbrow II
05-02-2008, 21:42
The Von Carstein ring is not an item that Mannfred can have. As Mad Dok Grotsnik said, the ring is lost with Jerek Von Carstein (depending on whether you believe the Von Carstein trilogy as being 'canon).

You sure? Isn't Konrad equipped with it too?

Voltaire
05-02-2008, 23:00
Konrad would try and do something silly like eat the ring before realising the power it holds.

gorenut
06-02-2008, 05:07
Konrad would try and do something silly like eat the ring before realising the power it holds.

haha, Konrad is my hero.

Alderhan
06-02-2008, 05:32
I've gotten the impression that the Manfred on foot model is somehow limited edition, can anyone confirm this?

Nedar
06-02-2008, 06:15
Count Mannfred is a Lord and one of the best casters around. Probably the best buy the book...i'll have to run him as my general Ialmost everytime since he's EXACTLY what I want in a lord (I like casty lords). He is the only person who has access to the Sword of Unholy Power, and is a very skilled wizard by anyones standards.

Mannfred the Accolyte is a hero version of Mannfred, and is like 40% the cost of his Lord version with weaker abilities all around (duh). I think he still has the SoUP in this form too, I was too awed by Count Mannfreds abilities to care what the accolyte had heh.

I'm preaty sure his box will have him in his mounted an un-mounted forms.

rodmillard
06-02-2008, 11:06
I've gotten the impression that the Manfred on foot model is somehow limited edition, can anyone confirm this?

At least here in the UK, the Manfred on foot model is only available from GW Direct - it won't be available in stores and it certainly won't be released to independent retailers.

Jedi152
06-02-2008, 11:15
No he doesn't.

It's lost. And the Von Carstein trilogy is buried with Jerek Von Carstein (former head of the White Wolves, embraced by Vlad....) in a Mountain somwhere.

Actually in Liber Necris he claims he knows of it's whereabouts...

Yes, Mannfred the acolyte is part of Vlad's invasion years ago. He is the 'historical' Mannfred.

Vlad died and Konrad took over. He rashly tried to emulate Vlad, failed, and was speared by a runefang on the battle field.

Mannfred the Count is the 'now' Mannfred in control of the Sylvanian armies. He's bided his time and spent year collecting arcane artefacts and travelling the world studying magic and necromancy - hence the reason he's pretty handy at casting. Background wise his sword is Timor Noctis, made for him by chaos dwarfs (i think...). Rules wise it is the sword of unholy power.

It's direct only and is to be used when his mount dies.

EvC
06-02-2008, 13:55
No he doesn't.

Except that Mannfred was wearing the Ring for pretty much the entire period from when Vlad was killed at Altdorf until the battle of Hell-Fen. At least one version of Mannfred should have access to the Ring, as he was in posession for it for the vast majority of the battles he fought (Until it was lost).

Alderhan
06-02-2008, 19:31
Direct only, of course. Thanks!
I'm looking foward to fielding Count Manfred in all his glory.

Ophidian
07-02-2008, 08:26
Except that Mannfred was wearing the Ring for pretty much the entire period from when Vlad was killed at Altdorf until the battle of Hell-Fen. At least one version of Mannfred should have access to the Ring, as he was in posession for it for the vast majority of the battles he fought (Until it was lost).

Is this really the case? As I recall from waybackwhen, when Vlad was camped out in front of Altdorf the Grand Theo. divined that nicking his ring would render him killable, and they hired a thief to slip into the camp and have off with it. After which he disappeared.

Granted, I've not read this trilogy, so I assume that in that the ring somehow finds its way back to Mannfred?

EvC
07-02-2008, 09:39
If it weren't for the fact that I'm sure GW have screwed with the background again by now, I wouldn't spoil it for you, but yes, the thief Felix Mann steals the ring, with help from a shadowy accomplice within the vampire camp. After the siege was over, Mannfred infilitrated Altdorf, stole the Ring and then wore it until the battle of Hell Fen. So his entire military campaign against the Empire, basically.

Jedi152
07-02-2008, 09:44
Which begs the question why did he not wear it at Hel Fenn?

EvC
07-02-2008, 09:51
He did, but it was not in his possession for the important part involving a Runefang...

Voltaire
07-02-2008, 11:35
None of the Mannfreds should have access to the ring because during the material times (during Vlads campaign and post Hel-Fenn) he had no means of being in possession of the illustrious item.

EvC
07-02-2008, 12:57
So you're telling me that neither of the Mannfreds are suitable to represent Mannfred as he was during the Vampire Wars themselves... riiiight.

prince_dios
07-02-2008, 19:05
No he doesn't.

Has GW ever stated that Saville's hack writing is canon?

EvC
07-02-2008, 19:37
Most annoying questions on these forums:

Tactics forum: is this unit competitive?
Rules forum: is this whatever legal?
Background forum: is this source canon?
Sometimes these questions are seen elsewhere as well ;)