PDA

View Full Version : One question about Warhammer Age of Reckoning

Iuris
05-02-2008, 07:15
I'm not following this game's development and I can't seem to find an official forum anywhere, so, could anyone enlighten me:

Are there any rumours/suggestions/plans/omens that the game will offer something along the lines of a "onetime payment" option? Call it a lifetime membership, or a "founder's offer" or whatever, the concept is along the lines of "pay XXX,XX$/ at game launch, and you're a subscriber for life"?

Thank you.

Typheron
05-02-2008, 07:51
No, its gonna be the Bill you monthly affair.

I think to date only one game has offered that.

Kordos
05-02-2008, 09:05
The real answer is - They have not come to a final decision as to the payment options for WAR

There is no official forum for WAR, mythic don't want the responsibilities/hassles that come with offical forums.

These sites contain all the info you need
http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/home/index.php
http://www.warherald.com/news
http://www.war-rvr.net

Iuris
05-02-2008, 09:09
Thank you. I guess I'll give this one a pass then. Too bad.

Any nice promo movies worth viewing? Apart form the first promo (Orc launched with catapult,...)?

Kordos
05-02-2008, 09:17
Thank you. I guess I'll give this one a pass then. Too bad.

Any nice promo movies worth viewing? Apart form the first promo (Orc launched with catapult,...)?

why would you give it a pass ?
Check out the offical site - i linked it above ^^^^^ there are heaps of vids on there talking about everything from art design to combat

Iuris
05-02-2008, 09:27
I give an automatic pass to any game that does not let me keep what I paid for. Period. I'll not get into the deep mathematics, but a subscription is not worth it.

Even the 40k RPG that's announced won't get me in unless it offers "pay and keep" packages - and I even read Black library books...

Kordos
05-02-2008, 09:32
I give an automatic pass to any game that does not let me keep what I paid for.

they may offer a lifetime sub as i said above mythic has not finalized their subscription plan

Iuris
05-02-2008, 09:38
they may offer a lifetime sub as i said above mythic has not finalized their subscription plan

Wake me up if they do :)

Dengar
05-02-2008, 17:29
I give an automatic pass to any game that does not let me keep what I paid for. Period. I'll not get into the deep mathematics, but a subscription is not worth it.

Even the 40k RPG that's announced won't get me in unless it offers "pay and keep" packages - and I even read Black library books...

I second you there why should you have to pay again each month when you`ve already bought the game.

Typheron
06-02-2008, 07:56
Your payign for the cost of maintianing several servers, the cost of workers to monitor said servers and GMs to govern said servers.

Without which the game goes to crap as nothing gets fixed or updated beyond one or two patches. A MMORPG is not a standard game and requires the above which is not free and should not be free beyond any inital bug fixes.

Count Zero
06-02-2008, 09:59
i am quite concered that tiscali will block this the same way they do eve.

but you pay the subscription for updating game content normally plus the above typheron says, so that the game stays fresh. if thta happens and the updates are good then i am happy to pay a subscritpion.

the last mmorpg i played and got hooked on was juimpgate and at the time i didnt buy any new games for ages so it saved me money there.

Typheron
06-02-2008, 11:23
thats basically what im doing with Tabula Rasa, instead of buying new games i just pay the subscription. Its roughly the cost of a new game every 6 months sub wise.

It should be noted that due to the Nature of MMORPG's they have to be policed by GMs on a fairly regular basis to ensure that the game is working correctly, and that player problems are being resolved as well as exploiting players banned (never mind those spamtastic gold farmers). This means a standing staff monitoring the game all week.

The inital payment (which is normally less than a full game) is basically to cover the development of the game up untill launch and normally includes your first month. There a different type of game that requires updates as Count Zero stated to keep the game fresh. Also theres the regular "events" held in the game world that need to be planned, staffed and executed which are tremendious fun but require a ton fo planning to orchenstrate.

The lack of an "official" forum bother me slightly, as is the case in Tabula Rasa, sure its good since its not a flameing pit of doom, but it also means that the Devs are slightly more seporated from the gaming masses and for the price of the sub perhaps one should be supplied.

I dare say that one fan run web forum will become dominant for Warhammer:AoE as it has for Tabula Rasa.

Dengar
06-02-2008, 20:21
Dont get me wrong i know why you have to pay the fees but take final fanatasy on the 360 its like 9 pound a month fee i could be wrong but i just think its a joke that we pay 40 plus quid and then more even each month but then the type of games we play are our own choice. Like the games i play online for instance mostly those involve running round a map shooting people.

Kordos
06-02-2008, 20:48
The lack of an "official" forum bother me slightly, as is the case in Tabula Rasa, sure its good since its not a flameing pit of doom, but it also means that the Devs are slightly more seporated from the gaming masses and for the price of the sub perhaps one should be supplied.

I dare say that one fan run web forum will become dominant for Warhammer:AoE as it has for Tabula Rasa.

while there is no offical forum (and there wont be one according to mythic) mythic has shown a real connection with the fan sites like ten ton hammer and war-rvr so assuming that continues I dont thin you have to be worried about the Devs being seperated from the gamers

RavenMorpheus
06-02-2008, 22:43
Subscriptions are a load of bull, there are plenty of online MMORPG and other types of games that are run for free and GM's of games such as WoW and the other MMORPG's are nothing more than glorified moderators, and do the moderators on forums get paid - I doubt it.

Not to mention if WAR is on the 360 as well your paying for your Gold Xbox Live as well, and then theres the stupid prices for a poor net service we all have to pay and endure...

I'm with the OP on this one if you have to pay a sub it's not worth buying a game. If a game has an online and an offline mode then that's different but to pay 40 for a a game you can only play online and that you have to pay again each month is just plain stupid, and why is it all (afaik) of the games like WoW will only take credit cards as payment?

TheBigBadWolf
06-02-2008, 23:04
I liked the old days of sega and dream arena where you could play Phantasy star online for free without this hunters liscence rubbish they started when they ported it to GC and the xbox. Granted you had to pay for your internet for the time you were using, but that was what it was like then. Anyway you could use the number the DC dialed as one of your prefered numbers so you could get it on the cheap. As a matter of fact it was free to play all DC games online, no subscriptions, nothing.

redbaron998
07-02-2008, 05:46
I really dont mind paying subscription as almsot everything that has subscirptions have very stable and well run servers with constant updates...for instance lets look at WOW, there have been ALOT of updates and extra content added without buying any expansions...that is what your money is going towards, along with constant Admin support and fixing errors and clitchs

LOTRO offered a limited time publishers plan, witch was like a 1 time fee for what a year or a few, you ended up saving alot if you went with it I think.

But let me be very candid with you, Warhammer Online looks to be utterly amazing, watch all the vids and stuff and look around and if you are not impressed than you have no taste, this game looks rock hard and looks to be shapping up to be the best PvP MMO so far, and with a Beta application of over 550,000 (the most ever for a MMO) there will be a big audience.

Iuris
07-02-2008, 07:00
I'm not paying a subscription, even if it's for a WH40k RPG. My reasons:

Economics: if we exclude the price of the hardware, computer games are among the cheapest forms of entertainment, however, subscription based games are much more expensive than non-subcription based ones. Take a game that took a year to develop (IE, has a good slave driver). The box will cost, say, 50$. That's about 5$ per month of work. The subscription is typically at 10$ a month, so AFTER you buy the game and there's much less stuff to do, you pay twice the money for the game. Not a good deal, since you can buy a different game for the same money. Also, if you stop paying, you lose all your achievements - you can't decide, 5 years later, to relive the good times.

Psychology: an online game takes time, if you want to make the most of it. Social interaction, wealth accumulation, character development, all take time. So, you can only play one or two games at a time, limiting the broadness of your experience significantly.

Make a game that lets you keep what you paid for, preferably with a "terminator" component, so you can still play after the servers are long closed, and I'll consider playing. Subscription, no.

Typheron
07-02-2008, 07:50
Subscriptions are a load of bull, there are plenty of online MMORPG and other types of games that are run for free and GM's of games such as WoW and the other MMORPG's are nothing more than glorified moderators, and do the moderators on forums get paid - I doubt it.

Yes but forum mods are not working a 9-5 shift monitoring the system, and a forum is a far removed and less active thing than a MMORPG.

Additionaly almost all games out there host on a users machine (or a server set up by a community or induvidual). Someone is still paying for them in Electricity, set up of hardware, monitoring costs, bandwidth and the like. Hell the precursor of this very forum died due to the costs of running itself being shouldered by a few people and it becoming a 2nd job.

You get what you pay for, and most of the free MMORPGs out there are either browser based or have an additional "pay a fee, get more" aspect to it.

Why? cos someone out there is doing some work and they wont be doing it for free, not to mention the simple cost of running a series of linked servers over a network and acheve low latency times for 90% of the playerbase.

a MMORPG is more than just a game, rivalries between faction/clans arrise, things happen outside of the normal gameplay stories. In theory its a living world. Just look at the utter insanity that is Second Life.

@ Kordos - Good to know, having a link with the commmunity helps a lot.

I totally agree that if you are a casual gamer its not worth the money to play a MMORPG. You need to be very into it to get your moneys worth. I also agree that a "terminator" component would be very good (although there are several custom attempts at emulating game hosts) but its probably not going to happen.

Its a lot like a Fairground ride in that respect, you play for the experience but own nothing of the hardware required.

Also its of note in most MMORPGs, if you stop paying your account is simply put on hold and stored for a set period of time. Everything is still there, just storied untill you put more money in, well its been the case on all the MMORPGs ive played.

Lucifer216
10-02-2008, 00:01
What the OP forgets is the very real cost of NOT subscribing to a decent MMORPG. The 9 (US$18 or so) per month spent on a subscription effectively buys a gaming experience that can effectively swallow up all of your free time if you are so inclined. That means no more DVD rental, eating out, going to the cinema, holidays abroad, girlfriend, etc.

Yes, I'm exaggerating, but the point is still valid.

devolutionary
10-02-2008, 00:24
Precisely. For the cost of a NZ$20 monthly subscription, I can get more time and enjoyment out of an MMO than I can out of $40 worth of DVD rentals. Or even out of a $100 game, which after playing through twice (max) I won't play again for well over a year and a half. Averaging 10 hours game play a week, that's 40 hours a month. For NZ$20. Compared to a 10-15 hour gaming experience from your average single player game for $100, and a freaking MMO is a bargain. If I buy an MMO and play for only one month for a total of 10 hours a week, I will generally get more entertainment than I will from buying 3 other games. Economically, MMOs are *********** win for anybody who is a moderate to serious gamer.

But again, that depends entirely on you playing games that much. If you want a game to play for a few hours a week over a longer period, then single player games will no doubt be better.

Cypher
10-02-2008, 03:54
I used to think this way. To be honest, I suspect most people who say that they wont pay a subscription fee are either too young to have the money, or they havent played one of the better MMOs out there.

I currently play 2 MMOs (Everquest 2 and LotR Online). Both cost me a little over $15 a month each. That isnt a lot of money: $15 represents maybe 2 drinks on a night out, or a movie ticket. It's pocket change (especially given the cost of the GW hobby).

Remember that most MMOs give out free content updates every 1-2 months. New zones, quests and other content. LotR Online has in the 12 months since release probably produced enough new content to qualify for an expansion pack.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the argument that "I shouldnt have to pay extra for something I already paid for" isnt entirely valid given the nature of what your subscription gives you.

TheBigBadWolf
10-02-2008, 13:04
I used to think this way. To be honest, I suspect most people who say that they wont pay a subscription fee are either too young to have the money, or they havent played one of the better MMOs out there.

I currently play 2 MMOs (Everquest 2 and LotR Online). Both cost me a little over $15 a month each. That isnt a lot of money: $15 represents maybe 2 drinks on a night out, or a movie ticket. It's pocket change (especially given the cost of the GW hobby).

Remember that most MMOs give out free content updates every 1-2 months. New zones, quests and other content. LotR Online has in the 12 months since release probably produced enough new content to qualify for an expansion pack.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the argument that "I shouldnt have to pay extra for something I already paid for" isnt entirely valid given the nature of what your subscription gives you.

It is valid, as i already stated it was free to play phantasy star online on the DC but when it was ported to the GC and xbox you had to subscribe, DC players could even interact with players on different formats. Having to pay to play was a joke, i payed the money for the DC game i got to play for free, simple as that. It cost the same as the other formats but no monthly fee. and $15 is like 7.50 and would get you 5 pints in the union or maybe 7 and a half if they do the pound a pint offers, i would rather have the pints and game for free :D

CauCaSus
10-02-2008, 16:39
Wow, really? You want your cake and eat it too? What a surprise! :rolleyes:

I agree with Cypher, the cost is not really that high for someone with a steady income over allowance-level and the benefits are mostly worth it. At least with Blizzard, who are well known for supporting its games and provide support and balance.

TheBigBadWolf
10-02-2008, 16:57
No the cost isnt high, but when the game cost 40 and they want you to pay more to play it then there is something wrong, 40 is more than enough (even when taking into acount manufacturing etc) to provide online gaming at no extra expense. Case in point the Wii has free online gaming, not subscription based, the ds has online gaming that is not not subscription based, you buy your game you get to play without the cost.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
10-02-2008, 22:46
Wii is a different kettle of fish as the games don't evolve, in most MMO's the game world is changing. A game on a Console is released with its online stuff in and ready to go, once sold they can forget about it. Some do extras, but most of the time you have to pay for them. So not a fair comparison.

With MMO's well WoW (its the only one I've played atm, but I will probably be going to waR) you get extra stuff easily equivilent to some expansion packs folks happily pay for for games such as Oblivion. It defiantely equals its self out. I mean 2.4 is due on woW any time now and thats bringing in a whole new instance that as long as you have Burning Crusade is there for no extra charge, or sorry, you getting as a bonus for you're monthly fee.

On top of this they are always tweaking classes and removing flaws/broken abilities etc, introducing new gear and tightning up the game. A good example being the Lvl xp drop and quest xp raise to help folks get to 60 quicker.

I personally feel the monthly charge, for WoW at least is justified.

As to the concerns of PSO and Microsft charging. Well Microsoft charging money where it was free before comes as no surprise to anyone lets be honest. I still find it shocking on some of the LIVE download costs for petty things, plus the fact LIVE isn't free either. Plus when PSO came out it was a more innocent time, no one had figured out the cash MMO's can generate. There are also some MMO's in the works atm for the Consoles, but I have no doubt they will all charge a monthly fee, even on the free to play PS3 online service.

MMO's cost money to play, you either deal with it and play, or don't, but anyone who's played a good MMO for any ammount of time is likely to feel its been worth it much more than those that do not.

Well thats my view anyway. :angel:

Iuris
11-02-2008, 06:17
I think people kind of missed the idea in my pricing comparisons.

All computer games offer a lot of enjoyment compared to other forms of entartainment, partly because the cost of the computer itself, the internet fees and power consumption are not considered.

However, to evaluate subscription based games' merits, one must not compare them to other forms of entertainment, but rather other games. This is where the discrepancy comes in - you never get the equivalent value compared to purchasing a new game. You'd have to get a whole game's worth in 3-6 months. You don't. And, anything you've invested, you lose the second you stop paying.

Nephilim of Sin
11-02-2008, 06:51
Despite the fact we are speaking of MMORP's, I think the fact that Blizzard was brought up makes a good point. They provided all the tools we needed, plus a plethora of free downloads. Not only that, but the constantly improved the online play via the ladder system (mostly with Diablo 2, as opposed to SC). This changed with WoW.

This means that I bought the game, could play anyone I wanted in a somewhat changing environment, have a different experience each time, and still only shelled out the initial cost of the game.

Why should a good PC game even need moderators? In no other game I play are there mods, ranging from any genre. If the game is well scripted (as any game should be at the time of release), then there should not be anything to question. It would be like GW asking for a fee for FAQs, because there are some unknown situations that may arise. Of course, were that the case, maybe we would get some decent FAQs....

Son of Morkai
11-02-2008, 07:54
Why should a good PC game even need moderators? In no other game I play are there mods, ranging from any genre. If the game is well scripted (as any game should be at the time of release), then there should not be anything to question. It would be like GW asking for a fee for FAQs, because there are some unknown situations that may arise. Of course, were that the case, maybe we would get some decent FAQs....
Well, there's also player interaction in MMOs. In a RTS, you can just avoid games with a specific player that's giving you trouble. But in a MMO, that jerk can just follow you around, no matter where you go. Of course, I've never seen a GM do their job and punish the offender, in any of the games I've played... but that's supposedly one of the things they're needed for.

Nephilim of Sin
11-02-2008, 08:37
That is a good point you brought up, however I have to say that the need of mods in that circumstance should not be needed. Look at Diabo II. You had similar problems ( I was an ear collector in Diablo I, although I am not proud of it). PvP has existed long before MMORPs. WoW just capitalizes on the effect, which draws many players admittingly.

Battlenet was the reason I decided to really get into StarCraft. And Diablo II. They pay for the server, they provide updates, patches, FAQs, moderation (in a different way), etc.... I may never have figured out what that damned jewel does, but I can say I don't see any difference in the efforts between Diablo II and WoW. Yes, there are admittingly more players for WoW than Diablo II, but then again, how many people did Battlenet provide for? Starcraft was still strong during the reign of Diablo II, as was the resurgence of Warcraft. That is a lot of people across those games, and Battlenet is still free (last time I checked).

Son of Morkai
11-02-2008, 08:54
It's not just PvP that I was talking about. I have a tendency to play female characters, and I've been followed around for hours by people sexually harassing me. Other times, they'd just plain harass me (by stealing my kills/drops, spamming abusive messages, etc.).

Some of those things can be blocked by blacklists, others can be avoided by going to different locations. Of course, the player can just log off, but there's no reason why they should be punished (by being unable to play), due to another player's lack of manners.

DonkeyMan
11-02-2008, 09:54
This discussion is pretty sensless, because it's up to everyone on his own to decide if subscriptions are worth your money.

I pay about 200€ a month on games. 13€ are on subscription. The rest are games I play through only once.

You don't like subscriptions, well don't pay them. No need to try to convince everyone they are evil.

Cypher
11-02-2008, 10:11
I think people kind of missed the idea in my pricing comparisons.

All computer games offer a lot of enjoyment compared to other forms of entartainment, partly because the cost of the computer itself, the internet fees and power consumption are not considered.

However, to evaluate subscription based games' merits, one must not compare them to other forms of entertainment, but rather other games. This is where the discrepancy comes in - you never get the equivalent value compared to purchasing a new game. You'd have to get a whole game's worth in 3-6 months. You don't. And, anything you've invested, you lose the second you stop paying.

Not a valid argument. The subscription I pay for EQ2 equates to about two new titles a year - less if you're a console gamer. On average, most new video games offer 10-20 hours of play time in total (more if you factor in multiplayer, but most games dont offer both quality single player and worthwhile multiplayer). Compare that to EQ2, where I think over a year Id probably get at least 500+ hours of play time - and as I noted earlier that includes enough new free content to consitute a complete retail expansion's worth. Obviously it depends on how much you want to play, but you cannot validly argue that MMOs with their fees dont offer a suitable value for money compared to other titles. In fact, on a dollar-to-hour ratio, Id put the MMOs I play as some of the best value entertainment I know of.

Typheron
11-02-2008, 11:50
To continue Cyphers point:

Halo 3, ive payed for 1 expansion of new maps (all 3 of them) and completed the single player in a little under 6 hours. I continue to play it on and off, however once everyone i knew finished co-op its now only the odd game of Team Slayer online, or some custom gametype.

Tabula Rasa, Been on it since the Beta and have logged 2 solid weeks of game time, and ive still not hit lvl 50, or completed the main quest line, or even got into the PvP (equivilant of the team slayer i play on halo 3). In the time ive been playing, there have been 5 new Instances added, a string of under the hood adjustments and a bunch of new items/emotes for me to mess with. Heck they gave me in game fireworks to celibrate chinese new year, im currently tryign to light them with my flame-thrower.

I can say for certain i play more Tabula Rasa than Halo 3, i get more meaningful social interaction out of Tabula Rasa than halo 3 on a random basis.

As of right now, ive spent LESS on Tabula Rasa than what i spent for halo 3 (this will change in 1 months time). Ive joined 2 clans and were currently planning a bunch of events once Uni exams are done that extend the game beyond what the developers are up to.

In the end im not bothered if anyone wants to play MMO's, thats a personal preferance and up to you. My Beef lies with the line of thinking that they should be free since other games "one shot" games are, and thus (insert sarcasm) are somehow being created by "Teh MaN" to hinder us gamers.

Donkeyman puts it best:

You don't like subscriptions, well don't pay them. No need to try to convince everyone they are evil.

Iuris
12-02-2008, 08:56
Time spent on new content is not the same as the amount of the new content itself. Playing through the same content with several characters several times adds up to a lot of time spent, but the amount of he content itself is not that much. Especially as farming takes a lot of time, but requires much less in terms of actual content.

Analyze it properly. Measure the new areas and compare them to the original release. Count the new monsters, the new items, how many lines of text are included in the new content.

Then you'll see that the argument is indeed valid.

P.S.
I have spent a lot of money on Guild Wars, and the thing that did justify it is that I've purchased a product - not just rented it. As I said, get WoW a lifetime subscription, and I'll buy it. Give it a "terminator" component, and I may buy it (hate cartoony graphics), sine it would lack the social activities.

Typheron
12-02-2008, 10:28
Im using only 1 charcter at this time, given the comparison that halo 3 has had 3 (very nice) new maps that i payed for and TR has had 5 new instances added in the same time.

Also theres no "farming" in TR, as object drops are not handeled like WoW. You get your Uber loot from Nailing missions, not killing lots of boars with a 1.5% drop rate for that bit of loot.

On the note of guild wars, they shut down the server and it does not work anymore, so your still just renting it for one price.

Iuris
12-02-2008, 11:34
Same for any other company, isn't it? But then, Guild wars may depend on servers, but a non-online game is not. I can replay many of my old favourites any time I want.

Face it, sometimes you get a good deal out of the subscription, but sometimes you get nothing near the value (try Hellgate: London... #&%"$)/&#% $)/&" #%$)/&#"%$/ &#"%$/&" # %$)/&"# that should get a court epilogue). But in the end: if they billed things by content instead of by month, you'd get a better deal in a by content scheme. It's also more stimulative for the developer.

Also note that the replayability of content has nothing to do with the onlineness of the content. It's a matter of game design. I could replay Master of Magic over and over again a hundred times, but not FEAR - because it's not designed to be replayable.

There's a lot of psychology at work with an MMO and the developers know it. Well, the ones that don't fail do. Why do you think the first three levels in any MMO take an hour to achieve, while the last 3 levels take a month?

Typheron
12-02-2008, 12:23
Face it, sometimes you get a good deal out of the subscription, but sometimes you get nothing near the value (try Hellgate: London... #&%"$)/&#% $)/&" #%$)/&#"%$/ &#"%$/&" # %$)/&"# that should get a court epilogue).

I fully agree with you on this, regardless of how you pay, the quality of whta you receve can fluctuate from place to place.

We can only speculate what it would cost to be billed by content, but ill bet that it would be about the same over the same time frame as being billed by month.

The other issue that would arrise from this is that what if you dont buy *generic update 3* then you cant play with the majority of players. They would have to include the cost of running the servers and the associated services into those updates/content packs. Kinda takes the MMO part out of it if you cant get in with other players.

In short, unless its mandatory it would break up the player-base, you can only really charge liek that for large updates like the burning crusade for WoW or any of the addons released for SWG.

True you cannot re-play MMORPGs later on, but i dont think thats the point. Its a disposable game created to be played for as long as it holds your interest but i would argue with a higher level of interaction than your single player game. Thats what, for me anyway, makes it worth however much they charge me a month.

Yes im totally aware why and how the lvling system is the way it is in MMORPGs, i like that it is this way, i enjoy playing the game but know i would become boried if i hit 50 within a month (or whatever the max level is).

For those still foolish enough to be in on this thread, how many MMORPGs have you played?

I say stuff like Guild Wars is not a true MMORPG as every since mission area is instanced, its basically a 6 player co-op with a 3-d chat room evey so often.

Quite the derailed thread.

Iuris
12-02-2008, 12:41
Quite derailed indeed.

In the end, wouldn't it be nice if they made a nice Bioware type game set in WH40k... With lots of text, deep characters,...

Typheron
12-02-2008, 13:59
Totally, Space Marines of the Old Imperium anyone?

Iuris
12-02-2008, 20:04
Hmm, me, I'd make it a nice "start as a normal citizen" one, and then let you make your way through life. Join a crime gang, try to get into the mechanicus, the constabulary,... make your way to being someone.

Then, bring an invasion. Now, you can continue your career under special situations. Catch the eye of important people in your cover organization (like, being noted as special by the Mechanicus and allowed to progress further in the mysteries).

And maybe just show some marines taking out things that you were unable to (like, hold the gates against the enemy, get blasted by some tank/carnifex/demon, and hold them occupied until the thunderhawk reaches your position). Show them as seriously bad mothers, but still mortal.

Oh, the potential for quality in 40K... Why does GW never try for some high quality stuff with some actual depth...

Notorius
12-02-2008, 21:59
Hmm, me, I'd make it a nice "start as a normal citizen" one, and then let you make your way through life. Join a crime gang, try to get into the mechanicus, the constabulary,... make your way to being

I'm thinking:

Grand Theft Auto: Necromunda :D

Iuris
13-02-2008, 08:52
LOL...

You know, that'd be a GTA game I'd consider playin :)

Capt_krill
20-02-2008, 06:08
I just recently got into serious PC gaming, for the most part I was addicted to RTSs and FPSs. Then came Diablo II. You honestly couldn't pull me away from it. However, once i successfully did all i wanted to do with the game (getting certain classes to 99, being unstoppable in the PVP zones, amounting mass sums of items and what not) it got boring. This was all during the 1.10 patch. When 1.11 was released it was a complete upset and low and behold i quit playing it.

THEN i was introduced to City of Heroes. I was a bit skeptical about playing a game that i had to pay-to-play, but i was wrong. The new stuff that came out almost every month it seemed (a bit over exaggeration). The people, different runs and what not equivalent to the raids in WoW, just shocked me. But i, doing like i did with D2, i got burnt out on it by getting all the classes i wanted to 50 and doing everything i wanted to do or was told to do (because of a friend recommending it to me) i kept paying to play. After the new stuff came out i'd do it and be right back where i was. It got to the point of i was paying 14$ a month to play a game only maybe 10 hours a month...thats less than 20 minutes a day. Granted i couldnt by 10 hours of gas to go driving with 14$ a month but it was still getting to be a bit much.

Im not saying that the monthly fees are a bad juju or a good thing either, all im saying is that if even if 5000 people play on each of the 8 servers (the number of servers on COH IIRC) thats 5000x8x14= 560K$. The game developers and staff would and should be able to release new material that isnt repetitive each month, then i would be satisfied with paying to play a game ive already bought. But on the other hand, like a friend told me, if I cannot come up with 14$ for entertainment, even if its 10 hours a month of entertainment then something is terribly wrong!

Call me a hypocrit if you want but i prefer to pay for new material that isnt repetitive. The RTS Age of Empires III series expansions are completely new games. You have the first installation of the game which includes the European empires, then the Native Americans as the first expansion then the Asian Dynasties as the third part to a great series. Sure they expanded on the previous empires with new units and what not with the expansions, but it was STILL NEW MATERIAL. If the developers would only listen to the gamers instead of hearing them and actually take action with the millions they are getting each month then they would have numerous more consumers...but then again all people with something only want more something and doing the least to get it; its human nature. Sorry for the long read, but i just had to get it out there.

IainC
21-02-2008, 20:50
This is a thread I probably shouldn't get involved in (see my sig), however I just wanted to set some misconceptions straight on the subscriptions for MMOs.

Firstly, the cost of maintaining an MMO is high. Much higher than for a single player game or even a limited multiplayer game like Diablo II or Counterstrike. To run an MMO you need a large enough GM crew - ours will be more than 300 strong just for the Euro servers, and those guys don't work for free. Then there's server and bandwidth costs. The average MMO server is actually a lot of very powerful servers linked together so every 'server' you can choose from the login screen there will be several expensive machines to run it. Then of course people have to be able to connect to your game, when you're running a game that might have hundreds of thousands of people connecting to it at the same time, bandwidth becomes a major cost.

Additionally an MMO isn't a static experience like a single player game. You can't just release it and walk away like you can with other types of games. An MMO is constantly being developed, to reflect the changing nature of the players, to fix things that get broken (and no game ever released has worked perfectly at launch) and to keep adding to the game to keep players involved. The development doesn't stop when the game hits the shelves - in fact that's really just the start of it.

Whether a subscription is worth it for you is entirely down to your personal choice but you will do get a lot of value for your $15 a month.

Finally just to clear up one thing, I don't know of any MMO that will delete your characters if you stop paying a subscription. In every game I can think of, if you take a break and come back later, your characters will still be there in the same state as when you left them.

Drivebybaptism
21-02-2008, 21:38
This game should have a great deal of potential. Not saying it'll be the new WoW but it could still be a great hit none the less.

I'm still not too sure if I want to wait for this or play EvE on line

Ironbreaker
21-02-2008, 22:38
I'm really excited about Warhammer:AoR but although I'm not terribly against the idea of a subscription, it'll have to be decent. Anything below 10 is reasonable.
2.50 per week is not a lot for something that could be several hours over either a number of days or the weekend. I could pay for that by, say, cutting back on something trivial like sweets.

Cypher
22-02-2008, 06:47
The standard for MMO subs is US$15 monthly, which I think comes in at around ten pounds. I can imagine that they'll charge more than this - it just wouldnt be competetive enough for success. Might be less, if we're lucky. Many MMOs currently run deals where you pay less for your sub if you buy in larger chunks at a time: so say US$30 for three months.

Drivebybaptism
22-02-2008, 10:13
Most MMOs cost like 9 so its not too bad. If your working full time 9 a month you wont even notice coming out of your account