PDA

View Full Version : The prototype of the imperial bolter has been invented.

NecroNurgle
05-02-2008, 10:28
I didn't know where else to post this, but I'm sure people here at warseer would want to know about it. Watch minute 4:21. It is essentially a bolt gun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c&eurl=http://www.cameltap.com/?p=2206

Dragonlv8
05-02-2008, 10:37
ok, its loading, yea, as you said wrong section, would prob fit on better under general.

scratchbuilt
05-02-2008, 10:38
Not your fault, not an attack BUT, its already posted, mods please, who love deleting my threads so much, deeeleeet this thread

colmarekblack
05-02-2008, 10:41
:eek: More reliable than a boltgun as well. More than likely tested in Iraq as well.

Malforus
05-02-2008, 13:24
As for the effectiveness yes the AA does its job well. But I would vote the gyrojet family of weapons is closer to the bolter (mini rockets). All they need is a small charge and a delay fuze.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrojet

Not to say a frag-12 round isn't reminiscient of bolters but I think the propulsion method is major defining quality of a bolter.

Leftenant Gashrog
05-02-2008, 13:58
But I would vote the gyrojet family of weapons is closer to the bolter (mini rockets).

So would I, especially since 40k inherited a number of its weapon systems/technologies from Laserburn (skirmish game written in 1980 by Bryan Ansell, the founder of Citadel Miniatures) in which the term Bolt Gun and Gyrojet were interchangeable. (the term Bolter was used as well, but it referred to Bolt Pistols rather than Bolt Guns)

Lord Cook
05-02-2008, 15:58
Why am I not surprised that this is American? Endlessly bigger and more powerful guns does not equal better soldiers.

TheBigBadWolf
05-02-2008, 16:29
Old news its been getting discussed in the random musings section for ages

Brother Siccarius
05-02-2008, 18:36
As for the effectiveness yes the AA does its job well. But I would vote the gyrojet family of weapons is closer to the bolter (mini rockets). All they need is a small charge and a delay fuze.
Only one problem with Gyrojets, I can hold my finger up to it, and stop it before it even leaves the barrel. Which is why when they talk about bolter rounds in 40k there's an initial charge to give it velocity needed to be deadly at close range.

Why am I not surprised that this is American? Endlessly bigger and more powerful guns does not equal better soldiers.
It's not about bigger and more powerful, it's about specialized equipment. When you go up against light vehicles and militarized civilian vehicles, you need a round that can breach whatever they used to reinforce it. So that's what a FRAG-12 does.

I'd also like to point out two things, the FRAG-12 technology is based in the Gyrojet tech invented by the Germans, and the FRAG-12 itself is a British round, not American.

MrBigMr
05-02-2008, 18:47
Only one problem with Gyrojets, I can hold my finger up to it, and stop it before it even leaves the barrel. Which is why when they talk about bolter rounds in 40k there's an initial charge to give it velocity needed to be deadly at close range.
Right. Wasn't there a scene in some novel where a Chaos marine got shot point blank range with a bolter or bolt pistol and survived because of the low initial velocity.

That's a little unfair. There's plenty of military gear developed in other places as well. Like the metalstorm system (capable of 1 000 000 rpm ROF), AMOS automatic mortar system, etc. All developed outside of the US. Besides, number of casualties caused by small arms fire is quite small when compared to artillery and such. It's not wrong to want to make more of those weapons.

Bretonnian Lord
05-02-2008, 19:08

British Redcoat, 1776, professional soldier with a musket

VS

Teenager with an M-16. I know who would win! :rolleyes:

Improved equipment doesn't make better soldiers but they DO make soldiers better, if you get my drift. And plenty of other countries are out there as well developing weapons, so don't be ignorant and label America as a warmongering nation whose only concern is to kill people.

stormblade
05-02-2008, 19:10
A bit of an overkill don't you think.

Looks a bit too bulky too- you can see it's not an European design.

Argastes
05-02-2008, 19:11

You have totally misunderstood the design philosophy behind this weapon system. The idea is not "let's make our soldiers better by giving them a bigger gun". The idea is "our soldiers need a specialized piece of gear that will make it easier to do Task X". It is not an effort to make the basic infantryman's weapon more powerful; the military is not going to abandon the 5.56mm rifle as it's basic infantry weapon any time soon. This is a specialized piece of kit, not a "firepower upgrade" for the troops.

As for the weapon itself, I agree that just firing explosive shells does not make a weapon particularly similar to a bolter. The use of rocket-propelled projectiles in a small arm is a much more noteworthy distinguishing features. This isn't the only small arm that can fire explosive ammunition. For one thing, explosive shotgun shells existed before the FRAG-12 came out. For another thing, there are special weapons like the QLB-06 and PAW-20.

Improved equipment doesn't make better soldiers but they DO make soldiers better, if you get my drift.

This is a good point, too. Superior equipment doesn't make soldiers "better", but it can make them more combat-effective; training is great but you need the right tools as well.

A bit of an overkill don't you think.

It might be if it was designed for shooting at individuals, but it's more like a mini-grenade launcher with other applications as well.

Looks a bit too bulky too- you can see it's not an European design.

There is no truth to the idea that European weapons tend to be bulkier than American ones.

starlight
05-02-2008, 19:28
Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is *really* old tech. It's genealogy goes back to Vietnam when Maxwell Atchisson built the Atchisson Assault 12, which became the USAS-12, then the AA-12. It's ownership has been much disputed over the years.

The Bolter is indeed based on the Gyrojet.

And as expected....Thread Closed.

starlight
The Warseer Inquisition