PDA

View Full Version : Biel-Tan Eldar, Witch Hunters and Valhallans

feugan
05-02-2008, 20:00
After a 4 year hiatus from the hobby, I'm inspired by people's gargantuan efforts for Apocalypse to get at least one (and possibly three...) armies up to fighting strength.

Before (temporarily) quitting the hobby I dispensed with Marines, Orks and Tau, leaving me with 3 good-sized forces:

4000 pts Llan-Fiel Craftworld Eldar
3000 pts Valhallan 292nd Imperial Guard
2000 pts Adepta Sororitas Order Minoris of the Emperor Ascendant

Despite planning out colour schemes and fairly extensive background for these forces, I've fallen prey to the common curse of accumulating more models than I ever found time to paint. I am retraining as a doctor and thus only have limited time at weekends but am determined to build on what I started in 2004!

First up, the Eldar so far. I am considering switching to Biel-Tan as dark green is quicker to paint than yellow and I'd like to use creeping vine patterns to distinguish vehicles. The Wave Serpent and Falcon have been refitted so will need a serious repaint regardless.

Comments and constructive criticism are very welcome. And yes, I could stand to read the photography sticky!

feugan
05-02-2008, 20:06
Next, the rather lonely two units I got round to painting for my Valhallans. The army is infantry heavy with over 150 of the greatcoated chaps and a good number of (Armageddon era) Stormtroopers. Realistically, the whole company will probably end up on eBay...unless anyone has some good ideas for how to make it a standout army?

C&C welcome!

feugan
05-02-2008, 20:13
To finish up the "before" pictures, here are the Sisters of Battle units I have painted. Better photography would be useful here as the scarlet robes really don't show up at all. The white armour is fine on the tabletop, but tips on how to improve would be welcome.

I hope to post with my first newly painted models in 4 years very soon!

Death Korp
05-02-2008, 21:07
Wow, alot of nice stuff here, you're in a pretty simular situation like i am (except i'm in H.School). Loving all the models you have.

Ok, i'll help now...

Eldar: I'd look for a scheme which can be used with Foundation paints IMHO. White is a b**** to paint, when you could paint them red or black. I'd say go Uthwe or Saim Hain. Easier to paint :)

IG: Go Russian on them :p Seriously, all Vallahans look good in Russian WWII era schemes. Look on Google (or any search engine for that matter) and look for russian uniforms. Green or White uniforms look good, and the red for the stars etc add some colour to the army. Also, easy to paint :)

SOB: For the robes, have a merchite red undercoat, highlight with red gore, then go blood red. To stop the blood red looking too bright, give it a wash of red ink.

Hope that helps...

DK

Pekel
05-02-2008, 21:13
First up, the Eldar so far. I am considering switching to Biel-Tan as dark green is quicker to paint than yellow and I'd like to use creeping vine patterns to distinguish vehicles.
No! The color scheme and painting are excellent as-is! My only complaint is the green bases - those would look great in gray, since the models are already colorful enough. Just a bit of slate and/or rough sand and/or cityfight bitz.

Lord Blood the Hungry
05-02-2008, 22:44
totally agree with Pekel, keep the yellow and blue on the eldar but change the bases (its alot less work in the longrun as bases are quick and easy to do).
the eldar look great in yellow and blue. snow or urban for the bases. not green or red.
every geek and his pet noob has a green biel taan army for one of these 2 reasons (usually both);
1. it was the colour the models on the box were painted and they have no imagination.
2. it was the most stupidly over powered and beardy craftworld, meaning if you painted them that colour you could abuse the rules.

if you field a biel taan colour scheme at a decent club (one not full of mouth-breathing power-gamers) you may still get looked down upon as they expect you to start whining about how badly done to your army is by the new codex which stops them being totally abusive.

however; if you are an awesome painter and have some amazing ideas for interesting colour combinations and amazing designs using the biel taan colour scheme, then go ahead and repaint the army. if you do this it must be to the standard that as you get the models out you get an awed silence as the shock spreads and everyone crowds round to see such a rarity as a well painted biel taan army. (needs to be approaching golden daemon winning standard to make it worth while).

valhallans:
want a standout army?
change the name
pick a colour for their coats (not grey or white like everyone else).
background to justify/explain colour of coats
example:
from [frozen/harmful/desolate] world with [chemical] in abundance in the [air/ground/water] changing the colour of [ice/rocks/vegetation] to your chosen colour. troops originally wore that colour to blend in with surroundings to hide from [predator/sworn enemy] but have since adopter it to remind them of their homeworld. coats are for protection from [frequent meteorological/environmental events]

do the bases to match the described scenery.

sisters of battle:
most people do sisters of battle cos they are an army of space marine chicks and treat it as another spacemarine army. one colour basecoat with trim in a different colour (then they paint the boobs different colours and touch themselves dreaming of, some day, being allowed within 20 paces of a real girl)

treat it more like an eldar army and showcase your fine detail and freehand painting skills

white is ok for a base colour.
now pick another two colours and do lots of fancy work. trims, frills, flower motiffs, etc, on all the models, each squad needs to be coherent but no 2 identical patterns (no 2 girls would be seen dead together in the same outfits). they may be the female equivalent of space marines but they are still chicks and chicks dig frilly nonsense and fancy stuff. they also take great care over their appearance, make it all immaculate.

(when my painting is 'eavy metal standard i'm gonna do a small sisters of battle force with ridiculously fine details and some amusing conversions)

these are all just ideas and suggestions. take what you will from it, each one is just one way to solve the problem you posed. hopefully this will get you thinking allong the right lines and you'll come up with some far better ideas of your own.
look forward to seeing how it goes.
have fun

feugan
22-02-2008, 15:33
Thanks to everyone who has replied, and apologies for the tardy reply; hospital is a periodically busy place.

Eldar: I'd look for a scheme which can be used with Foundation paints IMHO. White is a b**** to paint, when you could paint them red or black. I'd say go Uthwe or Saim Hain. Good point, my white Sisters look a little messy. I have yet to try foundation paints.

No! The color scheme and painting are excellent as-is! My only complaint is the green bases - those would look great in gray, since the models are already colorful enough.
Thanks - you're right that bases rather define an edition of 40K, and Goblin Green is very 2nd Ed!

totally agree with Pekel, keep the yellow and blue on the eldar but change the bases (its alot less work in the longrun as bases are quick and easy to do).
the eldar look great in yellow and blue. snow or urban for the bases. not green or red.
every geek and his pet noob has a green biel taan army
Valid point. My painting is not Golden Daemon standard, just functional. I'm erring towards my own colour scheme now; either the time-consuming yellow or a darker scheme as trialled on my first newly painted model in several years (!)

The first photo is a line up of models I've previously painted. They're adequate, but now look a little 2nd Ed 'explosion in a paint factory'. Consequently, I'd welcome comments on the Dire Avenger I painted last night; I'm going for a moodier look, evoking the colours of night time and moonlight. I've placed him in a line up with an older Avenger and Guardian and given a couple of photos on his own.

I'm aiming to have every model wearing a helmet since Eldar assume their warrior personality when donning a mask. This means no faces to draw the eye, hence the white white face plate. Thoughts? Comments? Criticism?

On a side note, aren't the original Aspect Warrior sculpts brilliant?

feugan
22-02-2008, 15:47
Thanks also for your comments on my other forces. I've taken a better lit photo that shows off my Valhallan and Sisters colour schemes better...but also draws attention to the sloppy use of white. :(

Regarding Valhallans:

IG: Go Russian on them :p Seriously, all Vallahans look good in Russian WWII era schemes

want a standout army? change the name, pick a colour for their coats (not grey or white like everyone else), background to justify/explain colour of coats
Ah! Conflicting opinion there! I'm not unhappy with the olive drab they're in, but would definitely spruce up vehicles with a green and grey camo. With hindsight, weapon casings should be black, and skin tones lightened up.

Regarding Sisters:

most people do sisters of battle cos they are an army of space marine chicks and treat it as another spacemarine army. one colour basecoat with trim in a different colour (then they paint the boobs different colours and touch themselves dreaming of, some day, being allowed within 20 paces of a real girl)

For the robes, have a merchite red undercoat, highlight with red gore, then go blood red. To stop the blood red looking too bright, give it a wash of red ink.
I get sufficient abuse from the other half for collecting miniatures at all, leave alone ones with improbable chest armour, but I think of all the ranges they best embody the high gothic style that Blanche and Kopinsky render so well in 2D. I'm generally happy with the colour scheme, but it looks flat and I think Lord Blood has it spot on - freehand is needed!

Finally, I'm using matt varnish. Is this a mistake? Perhaps a coat of gloss followed by a coat of matt for protection. Thoughts?

Leonathion
22-02-2008, 15:49
Nice to see some aspects! Yeah, the old ascpets are great, but the new ones are even better :) The boring thing about the old models is that they are not so posable, and everyone looks the same. Great to see the eldar up and running! The brown base would fit the yellow colours perfectly I think!

Cheers!

feugan
22-02-2008, 16:08
Nice to see some aspects! Yeah, the old ascpets are great, but the new ones are even better :) The boring thing about the old models is that they are not so posable, and everyone looks the same. Great to see the eldar up and running! The brown base would fit the yellow colours perfectly I think!Thank you. I feel rather outclassed looking at your plog...no scrub that, inspired.

Another vote for staying yellow it seems. I'm still keen on the moody night-time look of that Avenger above. I shall try a test model to see if it works on Guardians / vehicles.