PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about starting Warmaster...

Cassius_Gray
06-02-2008, 06:10
So having read all through this forum and subsequently looked over the rules, I am very tempted to start playing Warmaster, and I'm hoping to drag my friend along with me. While we are certainly going to start off with proxies, I was just wondering about the armies before I get my heart set on one. Basically, I'm wondering what armies seem to be the most popular, and why that is so? I ask because I like to play the armies that not everyone else is fielding, though if there is a particularly fun or exciting army, I'd like to try them as well. I know each army is different (I've played 40k and WFB), but I know some tend to be stronger, some more played, some avoided etc. Any answers or other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

tabletopnews
06-02-2008, 07:22
I'd actually recommend Warmaster Ancients over the Fantasty version. More armies available and the ruleset is better than the fantasy rules.

azraelezekiel
06-02-2008, 16:06
Skaven are fun but can be hard to get to grips with.
High Elves are a good starter army (and appear on eBay regularly).
My current faves are lizardmen, watch those empire knights crumple :)

You are best off playing with proxies (a lot) before you decide to buy.

Also the number of opponents you can muster will also affect how committed to the game you may become.

Where abouts in the world are you?
Do you know if there are many WM players in the locality?
I have been collecting for 2 years now and only managed to find 3 opponents in quite a large metropolitan area :(

Cassius_Gray
09-02-2008, 23:16
I had thought about warmaster ancients, but my friend likes the fantasy setting. While historical wargames certainly perk my interest, I do like the warhammer world, too, and at least for now we'll probably stick to the fantasy stuff.

I'm in Minneapolis, Minnesota (USA). I haven't found any other active players, just a lot of people who used to play (WFB and 40k that is, I'm not sure about Warmaster). Oh, well, I'm sure there are a few lurking about somewhere. I think I'll probably try HE or Empire first, but, since we will use a lot of proxies, I'm sure we'll try them all out before too long. Thanks for replying guys.

Armydillo978
27-02-2008, 22:07
I hadn't given this game much thought, but I saw that they're planning on doing a WWI version?

Warhammer Historical Wargames (http://www.warhammer-historical.com/news.asp)

That'll get me playing if they pull it off.

Singleton Mosby
04-03-2008, 16:01
If you want I am currently offering some Warmaster units for a small price, see this thread: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2409756#post2409756

darkryyder
04-03-2008, 23:36
I wish more people would play Warmaster. I have read the rules and would like to play but I cannot find anyone in my area.

fracas
05-03-2008, 00:15
yeah, good game but not enough players