PDA

View Full Version : Needs some help

Red_Lep
06-02-2008, 23:01
My current list is lacking in its ability to aid my D. Mage so I swapped some stuff around, look any good?

Heroes- 522

Dragon Mage- 385
~Guardian Phoenix
~Silver Wand
**I know he's really expensive for the points but he's fun.

Noble- 137
~Heavy Armor
~Great Weapon
~Reaver Bow
**Goes in LSG
.................................................. ..............................
Core- 207

Lothern Sea Guard(14)- 207
~Full Command
~Shields
**Guards RBT and helps D. Mage with shooting.
.................................................. ..............................
Special- 170

White Lion(6)- 90
**Guards LSG flank

Shadow Warriors(5)- 80
**Warmachine hunting
Rare- 100

Repeater Bolt Thrower- 100
Total- 999

Any advice?

wizzbang_tps
07-02-2008, 16:26
Do you realize that more then half you army consists of characters? Are there still players that want to play this list?

If you are using that mage why is he level one? You can only cast with a maximum of two dice per spell this way and even when you have +1 to cast you won't get a lot of spells through.

winkypinky
07-02-2008, 18:45
He can actually use 3 dices since the 3th is a free dice. so it is 2+1=3

And Op said he was expensive....But a dragon mage is not expensive he is a bargain made of 100% pure win. Use him. And please use him in 1k were he is just god-like. But i would maybe make him lvl 2 anyway, just to get more free dices and a greater chance of 2d6 s4 spell.

Advice to the list. Also know as: What would I do.

I would remove the white lions and shadow warriors. Shadow warriors are great but they arnt really good at machine hunting in 1k, they are a lot better in 2k and should be fielded a lot there.

Instead I would give the mage an other lvl, 35p. And add 5 reavers with bows and musician 112p. Then i would remove the champion and standard from the LSG and 1 model and add in a great eagle. Giving you 7 points to spare total....

Reavers are really great at flanking and machine hunting. + they also shoots. And with an eagle added you will have more (and better in my oppinion) weapons against machines and mages.

And btw I can only see one reason to argue against a dragon mage in 1k... and that is if you are the opponent. So screw the fact that a lot of your points is in characters. t gives you a better army.

And a rule note on dragon mages. Both the dragon AND the mage have to die before the opponent gets any VP's from them. This makes sure that you have around 400 points worth in 1k that your opponent will never ever get if you are a little clever. (if the dragon goes down the mage runs like hell and if the mage goes down the dragon just keeps stomping through the opponents army)

I really like your magic item selection. But have you thought of using Ring of Fury instead of Reaver bow?
Reaver bow is a really nice and powerfull item. But ring of fury is just a litttle bit "nicer" in my oppinion (and more killy)

wizzbang_tps
07-02-2008, 22:30
He can actually use 3 dices since the 3th is a free dice. so it is 2+1=3Check page 107 of the Warhammer rulebook.

And to *bleep* about the Dragon mage: Warhammer is about fun right? I don't see the point having to field a character which consists more then a third of your army at this point size. Its not fair to certain armies since they won't be able to take it down at just a thousand points.
I think there has been enough discussion going on about this topic so feel free to field whatever suits your needs. As long as its legal who am I to judge you :)

winkypinky
07-02-2008, 23:08
Look at the rules for dragon mages. A lvl 1 dragon mage can use 3 dice. And I say it again. He "uses" 2 dices, like any other lvl 1. And get one more for free. That, Quote page 63 He book: "......and can cause a Dragon mage to roll more dice than he is normaly allowed to."
.... So check the HE book for HE rules.

And about the fun part.... It really depends on the individual, and your opponent. You can have fun (both of you) and powergame (known to many as not fielding crap and to others again as cheese). Like in MTG... Which is (mostly) all about powergaming.

And "it is not fair to certain armies"

Neither is:

Handgunners
Wardancers
Steam Tanks
ratling guns (even with new targeting rules)
cannons
organ gun
Hellblaster
Chaos lord
Tzeentch in general
Halflings
Stone throwers
Treemen
Treekin
Skirmishers in general
Skinks
Slann
Magic in general
Griffon banner (is it still there?)
Ethereal things
Raising new units
Scouts
march blocking
Flyers
LOS
Thorek
Big monsters (any kind really)
Shooting
Close combat
M>6
Flanking
Rear charges
Ambush rule
Miners
War Altar
Unbreakebel things
Stubborn rule
Frenzy (for those who haves it)
Old blood on carnosaur with max attacks
Save of 3+ or better.
Chariots
handgunners again since they really are very unfair to certain armies.

This are things that are unfair to a lot of armies. And the list could probably have 20+ more candidates.

Should all these things be removed, or not fielded?

......... and BTW since when have a dragon mage got + 1 to cast? (without using magic items to get that bonus)