PDA

View Full Version : GW cheating Noobs...

kermit
29-09-2005, 22:41
Hello All,

I found this rather funny:

http://ca.games-workshop.com/news/cn/Announcements/WarhammerGrandPrize/GrandPrize.htm

So, GW is trying to get rid of their old Warhammer stock so they can turn around a month or two later and release the next edition. :wtf: I don't mean to complain about them but this is rather dirty pool...

But since it is Canada, they have to have a "no purchase necessary" clause in it, so I am going to be all over that!

Hope everyone had a good chuckle!

Malakai
29-09-2005, 22:54
Well the grand prize is only $1000.00 cdn. Doesn't the Warhammer box set already cost more than that? :p

Malakai

starlight
29-09-2005, 23:00
Heck, I'll enter just for kicks. :D $0.50 for a stamp is worth it.

Hey Malakai. :p None for you! :p

Anyways, I thought that 7th Ed was a bit further off than Spring 06. :confused:

kermit
29-09-2005, 23:04

It just might be, I just remember reading that it is coming sooner than later, but still, up sell your old stock to just turn around at release 7th. Doesn't seem the nicest thing to do...

(PS. It would actually have to be $1.00, you have to mail the self addressed, stamped envelope to them. But still for $1000, pretty good return on your investment)

starlight
29-09-2005, 23:09
Actually, the total cost is $1.50 as you then have to get the ticket back to them. :p

However, given the likely number of entries, it's not a bad shot. Might even be worth a few entries. Better than spending it on smokes, if I smoked. :D

And *most* companies do this in one way or another, GW is just a little more up front about it.

Griefbringer
30-09-2005, 07:53

Generally held view was that it is likely to come out on autumn 2006. Anyway, it is well-known practice for GW to try to sell off books all the way until they self-obsolete them.

starlight
30-09-2005, 08:19
I was thinking for the Christmas season 06, so this means they are clearing the warehouse out early. Good move.

Before 40K 4th Ed, they started several months before to ensure that they *weren't* selling 3rd Ed books right before 4th Ed came out. They even started putting stickers on the 3rd Ed books and Boxed Sets warning people about the upcoming edition about three months before the release.

GW doesn't want a repeat of the backlash from the change from 2nd Ed 40k to 3rd Ed. Man, was than nasty!

Crube
30-09-2005, 09:06
I think I'll be emailing my set of Canadian relatives for this one. Hey even after shipping back to the UK, 1000Canadian of stuff still has to be worth it...

Malakai
30-09-2005, 09:14
Before 40K 4th Ed, they started several months before to ensure that they *weren't* selling 3rd Ed books right before 4th Ed came out. They even started putting stickers on the 3rd Ed books and Boxed Sets warning people about the upcoming edition about three months before the release.

I have to agree with that. GW have always been good about notifying independant retailers about impending edition changes. I worked at an indy myself quite awhile ago.

Malakai

Crube
30-09-2005, 09:26
They have done the same with the changes to the LotR stuff. Anyone buying a box can tak etheir reciept to the store they bought it from and get a new rule book free, so ... fairs fair

warpoet
30-09-2005, 09:46
Did anyone notice the last rule of the contest?

Quote: 19. All winners must answer a skill testing question in order to claim their prize (e.g. 3 x 4 - 6 2 + 5 = ______).

Better bone-up on your order of operations.

tzeentchgiant
30-09-2005, 15:58
My particular favourite condition was number 14, read it for yourselves.

TG

Avian
30-09-2005, 16:14
I liked this bit (my emphasis):

"1. No Purchase Necessary to Play: In Canada, obtain one free entry in to the prize draw by writing to: Warhammer Grand Prize Draw c/o Games Workshop Canada. 2679 Unit 3 Bristol Circle, Oakville Ontario, L6H 6Z8. All requests for a free entry must be postmarked and received by January, 13th 2006. Limited one request per household with sufficient postage, while supplies last. All requests must include postage paid, self addressed envelope."

So you send in for a coupon and receive a note back saying: "Sorry, we've run out. Try buying the boxed set instead."
:p

Did anyone notice the last rule of the contest?

Quote: 19. All winners must answer a skill testing question in order to claim their prize (e.g. 3 x 4 - 6 2 + 5 = ______).

Better bone-up on your order of operations.
Note that it only says "answer", there is nothing in there that requires you to get it right! :D

skavenguy13
30-09-2005, 16:36
My particular favourite condition was number 14, read it for yourselves.

TG

*finally stops laughing*....
oh wait, a little more
*LAUGHS!*

@Kermit: yes, it's rather stupid to make a contest like that. Especially ONLY 1000 canadian, which you can buy for about 4000 points of stuff with :( However, it is rather good for people in the same situation as me: looking for infantry orc models, a couple boar boyz (will use th chariots sprues) and my brother would really like those spearmen/handgunners. You also get a couple accessories. And you can probably sell the book for 30$ or a little less (if you buy it alone it costs 60$). So it's not a bad contest for everyone.
*runs to store*:p

tzeentchgiant
30-09-2005, 16:58
Very mathematically speaking, according to BODMAS, the answer to 19 is infact 13, but how you read it the answer seems to be 8.

A puzzle indeed.

TG

Phyros
30-09-2005, 17:43
I'm sure #14 is one of the "fine print" conditions...as in so fine you need a high powered microscope to read :/

Crazy Harborc
30-09-2005, 20:01
There's GOT to be more catchs to it!! Actually, for GW it sounds like a fantastic prize!!

It does make me wonder when 7th is coming out.

Xorianas
30-09-2005, 21:34
Very mathematically speaking, according to BODMAS, the answer to 19 is infact 13, but how you read it the answer seems to be 8.

A puzzle indeed.

TG

Very mathematically speaking, the answer is 14, not 13. Therefore, the missing condition in the clause is actually the answer to the math problem. VERY tricky!

3 * 4 - 6 / 2 + 5 = x
By order of precedence:
(3 * 4) - (6 / 2) + 5 = x
(12) - (3) + 5 = x
since 12-3=9
9 + 5 = x
14 = x

So the math question you may or may not have to answer correctly will probably read something like:
"The sine of the hypotenuse of the equilateral triangle with one side of 40 degrees equals the missing clause which only exists in the 4th subdimension under the house of a small boy named Kevin down the street. Name the clause"

In all honesty, the answer is 4, not 14. But, my answer is much more entertaining, I think.

The real answer (using BODMAS):
3 * 4 - 6 / 2 + 5 = x
Division first: 3 * 4 - 3 + 5 = x
Next, multiply): 12 - 3 + 5 = x
Now add: 12 - 8 = x
Finally, subtract: 4 = x

Which brings me to my next point according to the rules:
" 4. Prize claimant must be a resident of Canada who has reached the age of majority in the province in which he/she resides."

So, if you live somewhere else, don't waste the postage...

GamesmasterZ
30-09-2005, 21:50
I've just got one question...

Recently...when hasn't GW cheated anyone?

tzeentchgiant
30-09-2005, 22:22
Xorianas: I think you are mistaken in the second one, the answer is not four, but 14, BODMAS (brackets, "over," division, multiplication, addition, subtraction) states that division and multiplication, and addition and subtraction likewise, are interchangeable, and are dealt with in the order they are encountered in said equation.

I was wrong with 13 (my silly mistake) but you have done the exact same thing in both approaches, or at least you should have, you followed BODMAS in order, which is not how it works.

Anyhoo, the answer (correct answer) is 14, but the answer could argueably be 8 aswell.

Depends on the intelligence of the winner really :p .

But four is not an answer I am sad to say.

TG

:0)
30-09-2005, 22:25
Hey, if I win that, I could afford a box of marines finally!

tzeentchgiant
30-09-2005, 22:37
With concerns to a $1000 prize of store credit

Hey, if I win that, I could afford a box of marines finally!Someone sig that, quick :D .

TG

Freak Ona Leash
30-09-2005, 22:47
With concerns to a $1000 prize of store credit
Someone sig that, quick :D .

TG

Hey, if I win that, I could afford a box of marines finally!
Do I get a prize for sigging it?

tzeentchgiant
30-09-2005, 22:58
A hug from TG at the next GD?

That sounds pretty good.

TG

kermit
30-09-2005, 23:07
Wow, how this has changed! (it is great don't me wrong)

Now on the math side too... starlight and I were negotiating the price it would be...

It would actually cost a Canadian to enter, without purchase, $1.61

$0.50 for each stamp = $1.50
GST on the stamps (@7%) = $0.11
Leading to a Grand total of $1.61

I feel better now!

I do like rule 14. I didn't notice that the first time I looked at it.

Xorianas
01-10-2005, 02:17
Xorianas: I think you are mistaken in the second one, the answer is not four, but 14, BODMAS (brackets, "over," division, multiplication, addition, subtraction) states that division and multiplication, and addition and subtraction likewise, are interchangeable, and are dealt with in the order they are encountered in said equation.

I was wrong with 13 (my silly mistake) but you have done the exact same thing in both approaches, or at least you should have, you followed BODMAS in order, which is not how it works.

Anyhoo, the answer (correct answer) is 14, but the answer could argueably be 8 aswell.

Depends on the intelligence of the winner really :p .

But four is not an answer I am sad to say.

TG

Yes, I know the answer could not be 4, but it let me get a little more mileage out of it if I did the math in the order of the acronym. The only reason I put that part down was that clause 4 seemed to be another appropriate part to mention since some of the posters had mentioned sending in for game pieces from far off lands... As far as 8 being an answer, I wouldn't accept that from anyone past a pre-algebra math level.

To keep this on-topic, gee, I really wish GW US would do something like this... minus the math!

Freak Ona Leash
01-10-2005, 14:03
Wait, Im confused (like we havent heard that before ;) ) Where is clause 14 of these rules. It skips from 13 to 15. And the equation above=14 so...damn you GW for being so frelling confusing!

lorelorn
02-10-2005, 06:57
It just might be, I just remember reading that it is coming sooner than later, but still, up sell your old stock to just turn around at release 7th. Doesn't seem the nicest thing to do...

Actually that would be normal business practise. I guess you haven't noticed but that what they have sales for - to clear old stockand make way for the new. GW, with its chain of retail stores, are no different from a clothing store in this regard.

athamas
02-10-2005, 13:23
it could be to hep with the flagging warhammer sales,

with the current turn in the world markets ppl are buying less, and warhammer is suffering more as its played my a slightly older playing group, so this maybe to encorage more ppl to play!

boogle
02-10-2005, 14:23
i like the fact that enterants have to take a skill testing question to enter

Wintersdark
02-10-2005, 14:42
It has to do with Canadian lottery laws, I can't remember the wording, but IIRC it boils down to the contest NOT being a lottery if there is a skill testing question involved, and thus it falls into a different category for licensing ect. Pretty much ALL Canadian contests have a skill testing question. For example, all McDonalds' contests here do... win a free coke with those silly monopoly things? They may or may not bother to show you, but they stick them to little coupon card things with a skill testing question. Typically, they don't bother getting you to do it but just fill them out themselves in the back, but they are still there :)

kermit
03-10-2005, 15:20
Actually that would be normal business practise. I guess you haven't noticed but that what they have sales for - to clear old stockand make way for the new. GW, with its chain of retail stores, are no different from a clothing store in this regard.

That is where this whole things falls apart. They are not putting the boxes on sale. They are just trying for people to buy more. There is no discount, there is no bonus for buying their old stock... well the chance of winning $1000 in product.

I think they should drop the prices down to the same price of the MACRAGGE boxed sets, then they may sell more. I know I don't mind spending $65CAN on a box that comes with some of the greatest terrain they have ever put out, with the rule book... well you get the picture! But when I have to shell out $110CAN for the FANTASY box, I have a hard time. I think if they dropped the price, then they will see an upswing in their sales, as it will promote more people to be interested and investigate the game more.

made_of_metal
04-10-2005, 03:13
I think imight have to get in on this one. Gotta love the no purchase law in canada. it works for beer contests as well.

jeez i just came off to be such a sterotype there.....