PDA

View Full Version : Dual Pegasus 2250 pts army of Averland

Anardakil
07-02-2008, 09:22
Hello. I'm building an Averland army, and I really want to try pegasus captains and two shiny, tasty magic items. Since I read that pegasus are common in Averland (or was that Wisseland?) I thought it would even be pretty fluffy. I also made sure to include a unit of demi-lancers (yeah they're probably worse than knights but they're so cool!) and some pistoliers since Averland is horse breeding country. I didn't want to make a cavalry force though, since I really like leading infantry into battle and I love using warmachines.
I would have liked to use a unit of knights of the blazing sun for even more fluff but I think the current barded warhorse models are rather sucky I'm afraid :/ I'll get some if GW releases new ones.

Wizard Lord (lvl 4) with Luckstone, dispel scroll, Ring of Volans 280

Here to pressure the enemy with a solid magic phase (duh). Hopefully either he will get some spells off or the captains' pretty bound spells will come through.
I pondered taking Icon of Magnus to protect a unit against fear, but chose the ring instead. Not sure though. What do you think?

Warrior Priest with great weapon, heavy armour, shield, barded warhorse 114

Here to make a unit (spearmen probably, or maybe the swordsmen or demi lancers) unbreakable and full of hatred.

Captain with lance, pistol, full plate armour, Bronze Shield, Doomfire Ring, riding a Pegasus 168

This captasus will of course try to cast burning head on as many enemy units as possible. If facing undead I'll probably use him in a defensive role to protect myself from flyers and/or in combat support. Perhaps I should swap the bronze shield for a normal shield and a sword of battle in case I want to hunt some ethereal creatures or forest spirits?
If I face dwarfs then he might hunt some warmachines with the other captain.

Captain with lance, pistol, full plate armour, Enchanted Shield, Aldred’s Casket of Sorcery, riding a Pegasus 168

And this captasus will try to steal the enemy wizard's spells and use them against the enemy happy
If I face dwarfs then he might hunt some warmachines with the other captain.

25 Spearmen w/ shields, full command 170
9 Halberdiers 45
5 Archers 40

25 Swordsmen w/ full command 175
9 Fighters 45
5 Archers 40

The core of my army which should prove to be rather solid. The only concern I have is panic and fear/terror. The warrior priest will no doubt help me with that but unfortunately one unit will be left somewhat vulnerable. At least the archer detachment for that unit can screen that unit from missile fire Smiley The other archer detachment might screen the flagellants.
I love the archer detachments. There's so much they can do. Screening, shooting, capturing table quarters, getting in the way of enemies and so on ^^

10 Handgunners w/ Marksman w/ Hochland long rifle 105

10 Crossbowmen 80

Some solid fire support. Not much that needs to be said I think.
The marksman is there because it's a cool model and it might be fun to use.

21 Flagellants 210

Because flagellants are cool and I have the models and I'd like to use them. Oh and because it's nice to be unbreakable when your general has Ld8 :)

5 Pistoliers w/ Outrider w/ repeater pistol, musician 114

I've always wanted to try these characterful young chaps.

Great Cannon 100

Great Cannon 100

I just couldn't resist taking two cannons because of their flexibility. I have also found that one cannon isn't really enough against über-fast combat armies of doom lead by a dragonlord. I will of course not fire them so that they can hit the captains. ;)

Mortar 75

Because I have a nicely painted model of it and it's fun to use. It also really scares horde players. I guess it could hit a captain (or two) by accident but what's wrong with a little bit of excitement? icon_lol It'll probably only be a s3 hit anyway.

Helblaster Volley Gun 110

I love my helblaster. It doesn't misfire very often (well for a helblaster that is) and regularly eats up units. Plus it can really scare some opponents into not advancing towards it.

5 DoW Heavy Cavalry with musician 110

Made of the pistolier models but with lances and shields. Weaker than knights but very cool.

2249 pts

145 soldiers

Power dice: 6
Bound spells: 2-3
Dispel dice: 5
Dispel scrolls: 1

So what do you think? :)

Do I have enough cavalry? I could ditch the crossbowmen, the ring of volans and maybe 2-3 flagellants to make room for a unit of 5 knights with musician.
I also thought about ditching those things and a cannon to make room for a unit of 6 IC knights with full command and war banner. But I like having 2 cannons :/

Will my Ld be enough? The captains might keep the enemy busy enough from shooting at my blocks maybe? And I have some screens...
I'd like to have a general with Ld9 but then I wouldn't have such a dangerous magic phase anymore. And I want to be able to put some real pressure on my opponent with the bound spells from the captains. Something I can't do without extra magic support. hmmm...

happy_doctor
07-02-2008, 16:11
Nice build, quite out of the ordinary...

thoughts:

-I'd swap your DOW cavalry for some normal knights; as far as I know, characters can't join DOW units, so that makes your plans for the Warrior priest pretty much obsolete. You can still use your cool models, though.

-I don't think that ld8 will be too much of a problem, maybe it will cost you some of your support units. But then again, that's why you should eliminate enemy shooting/magic early on, so as to avoid panic checks.

-Artillery is fine, quite on the verge of becoming a gunline if you ask me, but still fair game.

-Cavalry: as a rule of thumb, it's good to have a unit of cavalry backing up each of your main combat units. Since you've got 2 combat units, I think you're pretty much covered with pistoliers and demilancers. Flagellants don't really care about combat resolution, so no problem there.

-How are you going to protect your Lord? Is he staying with a block of troops? Beware of enemy mage-hunters, as he has no protection at all. On the same subject, the rod of power may be a good item, instead of the luckstone (which I absolutely love, just thinking out of the box here). What lore will you regularly opt for?

Anardakil
07-02-2008, 16:48
Thanks for the reply :D

-Well sure. Normal knights would probably be better. I haven't seen anything about characters not being able to join DoW units but... hmm
The problem is that I want to use the pistoliers' horses, and they don't have barding so if I used them as vanilla knights they wouldn't be wysiwyg. :/

-Okay. Well that's good to hear. Yeah hopefully my archer screens will shield my parent units (which are the ones who really matter anyway) until the enemy's shooting/magic has been ... nerfed. And I'm pretty sure that some of the magic and shooting I face will be busy with the captains ;)

-Yes I know, I'm on the edge ;) quite a lot of kaboomsie thingys.

-Okay well that's good to hear too. I haven't got any experience with pistoliers so I'm not entirely sure what they're capable of. I'm pondering ditching some shooting and getting some more knights but we'll see.

-He'll be staying with a block of troops. I'm not sure how to protect him really. Perhaps I'll try sneaking out of the unit in the last second, but that's risky too. What do you think? Hmm people seem to really like the rod but I don't want to get rid of the luckstone ^^

Anardakil
07-02-2008, 16:50
Maybe I should use the warrior priest as my general?

happy_doctor
07-02-2008, 16:59
That's definitely a good idea, it will put the pressure off your wizard for a while (and if he gets killed, he'll give away 100 poits less).
If you do so, i strongly suggest giving him the dawn armour to protect him (1+ save with re-roll and a potential healing spell can go a long way)

As for protecting your lord, you can either let him hang back (with the warmachines/shooting troops) or you can go the aggressive way, give him a spell to help in combat (the bear's anger or the steed of shadows to get him out of it*).

Pistoliers can mess up enemy cavalry quite proficiently; 12 armour piercing shots per turn, plus a potential stand and shoot ability is nice! What's more, they can also perform a flanking role- bu that's what your detachments are for....

*singing "getting away with it all messed up" :D

Anardakil
07-02-2008, 22:37
Yeah the Dawn Armour might be a nice idea. But can a priest wear it even though it's full plate? They aren't restricted to just light/medium armour?
I could always take Van horstmann's Speculum for defence instead. The priest should be perfectly safe in a challange when using that right? :)

The problem with putting an expensive mage with the shooting troops is that it'll be very scary when the enemy shoots at the unit he's with :/ It would be nice to have the armour of tarnus. But I'm short of points. Not sure if I can afford both the armour and the speculum. Hmm...
Hey you're right about those spells. They might come in really handy in protection. I usually take lor of fire, metal, light or life, but it would be great to try out shadow and beasts :)

Yeah I can imagine them being great VS cavalry. I look forward to swooping up to some dark riders and shooting them to bits with pistols in one turn XD

I'm happy you like my army build btw :)

Anardakil
08-02-2008, 08:22
I removed the Hochland long rifle marksman, the ring of Volans, the priest's two-handed hammer (really needed the points :P) and changed one of the captains's bronze shield for a normal shield so that I could afford to buy the cosy Armour of Tarnus for the wizard lord and the Dawn Armour for the Warrior Priest. I figured I might just as well fake it with the priest and challange the enemy without the speculum to try and fool him/her. ^^

I think the list looks better now, what with better protection for those two characters and I'm really happy with how the list looks.
My only real query right now is whom of the captains needs the enchanted shield most, haha.

Thanks for all the help Happy doctor :D

Wizard Lord (lvl 4) with Luckstone, dispel scroll, Armour of Tarnus 295

Warrior Priest with Dawn armour, shield, barded warhorse 141

Captain with lance, pistol, full plate armour, shield, Doomfire Ring, riding a Pegasus 150

Captain with lance, pistol, full plate armour, Enchanted Shield, Aldred’s Casket of Sorcery, riding a Pegasus 168

25 Spearmen w/ shields, full command 170
9 Halberdiers 45
5 Archers 40

25 Swordsmen w/ full command 175
9 Fighters 45
5 Archers 40

21 Flagellants 210

10 Handgunners 80

10 Crossbowmen 80

5 Pistoliers w/ Outrider w/ repeater pistol, musician 114

Great Cannon 100

Great Cannon 100