PDA

View Full Version : 2250 of, well, mostly Dinosaurs

Oenghus
07-02-2008, 21:28
I generally play Tomb Kings, but I've suddenly developed a hankering for an army that involves a bit more of the gnashing of teeth and the reckless charging and whatnot.

I've settled on Lizardmen. Here's the thing, though: I'm not fond of Slann. I am fond of Carnosaurs. Extending on that preference, I've decided to make a list that's based around Big Lizards -- as much as is feasible. I'm not looking to win any tourneys with this list, but I'd like it to be at least marginally competitive. The fun is paramount, though.

Take a gander:

Heroes
Oldblood with Carnosaur -- Light Armour, Shield, Aura of Quetzl, Scimitar of Sun Resplendant, Spawnings of Itzl, Sotek, and Quetzl. 481 pts
Skink Priest -- Lvl 2, Diadem of Power, Spawning of Tepok 155 pts

Core
Skinks x10 -- Shield & Javelin 60 pts
Skinks x10 -- Shield & Javelin 60 pts
Skinks x10 -- Scouts, Blowpipes 70 pts
Skinks x10 -- Scouts, Blowpipes 70 pts
Saurus Warriors x10 -- Musician, Spears 146 pts

Special
Saurus Warriors x 25 -- Full Command, Spawning of Tlazcotl 350 pts
Kroxigors x3 174 pts
Terradons x3 105 pts
Terradons x3 105 pts

Rare
Stegadon 235 pts
Stegadon 235 pts

~ 2246-ish total

The Tlazcotl spawning, is, to be honest, only on those Saurii because I had 24 extra points at the end.

Any thoughts? Saurus Cavalry a possibility? Too many Terradons? I'd love to have had space for a JSoD in there somewhere, but that would have pushed my heroes expenditure perilously close to the 1000 point level, which seems a bit excessive. Do I have way too many dispel dice? I don't really care about casting magic in this list, but I don't want to be killed by it.

All comments are, of course, welcome.

Stonerkid655321
08-02-2008, 02:38
I have a similar army.

I say lose the saurus, they are too slow and expensive, take kroxigor or saurus calvery with banner of moving D6 in the magic phase.

Anardakil
08-02-2008, 09:17
It looks pretty mean :) but maybe a bit low on magic defense? Or maybe not... hmm

Well it looks nice. Very hard hitting and, welll terror-causing ^^

Mouchliazo
08-02-2008, 10:01
For one thing, you can't have the spawning of Tepok on a Skink Priest, unless it's a Southlands list. So maybe you should give that spawning instead of Tlazcotl to the saurus warriors. Also, Salamanders are incredibly good for their points, and Stegadons are not so good if you don't have a BSB. Ld5 makes it a gamble if they stay or run, even with Cold Blood.

Why the spears on the small unit of Sauri? Hand weapon + shield is always better, I think...

Conotor
08-02-2008, 11:33
Take 2 units of 15 sarri, Hwep and shild. The best spawning for them in Quetxle.

Also, old ones is better on a carno rider then sotec.

Priests can't take spawnings.

A BSB would be nice. You could remove a sarrus warrior unit for one.

Oenghus
08-02-2008, 13:46
Thanks for the advice, guys, I'll tinker with the list today, and see what I can come up with. Damn skinks for not being able to take spawnings.

IronBrother
09-02-2008, 04:20
like the others said, when you tinker take a saurus BSB on a cold one, he doesn't really need a magic banner just needs to stay close to the stegadons.

One-S
09-02-2008, 12:45
I like the list, but I do have some comments.
One level 2 wizard isn't going to do anything in 2250pnts battles.
Take a level 1 scroll caddy instead. It gives you more magic defence and it's cheaper.
Ditch the one unit of 10 saurus. I can understand why you want them if you give them some static cr other then that leave them at home.
Take 4 krox, maybe a champ (thats up to you). Most cav units are run 5 or 6 wide, the extra attacks are a must have and it adds to the survivability of the unit (12 instead of 9 wounds).
If you still have some points left, try to make one unit of 5 terradons instead of 3.

Oenghus
18-02-2008, 00:16
Live, thread! LIVE!

Ahem.

So it has been a little while, and I've finaly worked out some of the kinks in the list. I've been asking all of the LM players I know, and dredging up bits and pieces of info from various murky depths of the internet, and I've got something that I'm happy with. Or, at least, happy-ish. I present it now for your (collective) commentary. Thanks in advance and, as always, any comments are welcome and will be taken to heart.

Away we go:

Heroes

Oldblood on Carnosaur -- Light Armour, Enchanted Shield, Scimitar of Sun Resplendant, Aura of Quetzl, Blessed Spawnings of Itzl, Quetzl, and Sotek -- 488 pts
Scar Veteran -- Light Armour, Shield, Burning Blade of Chotec, Spawnings of Itzl and Quetzl, Cold One -- 180 pts
Skink Priest -- Diadem of Power -- 100 pts

Core
Skinks x10 -- Javelin and Shield -- 60 pts
Skinks x10 -- Javelin and Shield -- 60 pts
Skinks x11 -- Blowpipes, Scout -- 77 pts

Special
Saurus x20 -- Full Command, Spawning of Tepok -- 300 pts
Kroxigor x3 -- 174 pts
Terradons x3 -- 105 pts
Saurus Cavalry x5 -- Standard Bearer, Banner of Huanchi -- 235 pts

Rare
Stegadons x2 -- 470 pts

Totals: 2499 pts, 6 Dispel Dice (including the two from the diadem), 1 Power Die that I'd actually be willing to use :)

So, basically, the carnosaur and stegs go rampaging up one flank. Hopefully at least two of them make it to combat relatively intact. The Kroxes and Saurii head up the middle, while the Scar-vet and cavalry watch the other flank. The skinks do their thing (with the scouts helping the terradons get rid of war machines ASAP) and the priest takes his dispel dice and hides behind a tree somewhere.

So that's the plan. Once again, I'm not expecting to win any tourneys with the thing, but I hope to have a good time with it. Thoughts?

Conotor
18-02-2008, 02:03
Err... y tepoc? U ahve all the magic defence u need. Give the QUETZLE. It owns.

+your scar vet should carry the battle standard.

Y not win tourneys? Dinoes are VERY good, and u can get all 3 to multi-charge 1 unit.

Oenghus
18-02-2008, 02:29
Tepok is for the extra magic defense. I figure that the Saurii are going to hang around for a long time without even reaching combat, let alone being whacked, so they might as well contribute something while they wander across the field. I feel like 6 dd is substantially better than five.

As for the BSB, you're probably right. I should have one, I suppose. I'd have to give up a chunk of stuff to do it though, and points are tight-ish.

Hmm. I guess if I dropped Tepok and a skink or two... I'll definitely consider it. Thanks Conotor.

Any other thoughts, Warseers?

Conotor
18-02-2008, 11:53
As for the BSB, you're probably right. I should have one, I suppose. I'd have to give up a chunk of stuff to do it though, and points are tight-ish.

Hmm. I guess if I dropped Tepok and a skink or two... I'll definitely consider it. Thanks Conotor.

Np, but couldn't u just drop the vet's magic item? BSB is only 25 points.

Oenghus
18-02-2008, 13:17
Yeah, I could do that -- I suppose. The way he's set up, though, he's going to absolutely murder knights (and there are a lot of them around where I play). :)

I might have to do it anyway, of course.

happy_doctor
19-02-2008, 01:27
Nice list! (i've been toying with the double stegadon a while myself...)

-Magic defense: To be honest, I'd take 2 scrolls and 3 dice instead of 6 dispel dice any time of the day! With the scrolls you can reliably dispel any spell, whatever the casting roll. Since your fragile elements are mobile, you'll be able to be in combat by turn 3..So that's 2 rounds of magic to weather, easily done with 2 scrolls.

-The BSB is a sound choice, as it will give you a +1 CR on top of making your saurus almost unbreakable. As to where to find the points, I'm happy to announce that you've miscalculated the points cost for the Scar-Veteran as he stands: He is worth 180 points if you make him BSB, so it's all set! :D

-Spawning on saurus warriors: Quetzl is great, it will give your warriors staying power. Huanchi can be good, depending on the board, while Tlatzcotl is a mixed blessing I'd rather not use. Against fear-causing armies, you have the alternative of fielding the BSB inside the Warriors, thus making them immune to fear! What's more, with your current list you can't place any of your characters inside the saurus, as they bear different marks. (It's always good to have alternatieves)

Other than what I said earlier, I see no obvious flaw in the list; it's good.

Oenghus
19-02-2008, 01:37
Happy_Doctor, you've just made my evening. Thank you very much.

Feefait
19-02-2008, 13:54
i think it's a good list. The thing is you will hit the enemy in 3 waves. First Terradons, cold ones and carnosaur, which will break any unit. They follow up and get taken out of the action while they turn around, which is okay. Next the skinks, krox, stegadons and possibly terradons again. This will break an already fractured line. Then then saurus follow up. With thte enemy so worried about everytthing else coming so fast they should be relatively unharmed. WHen they get there your Carnosaur and Cold Ones should be ready to get back into the action.
I would stick with the dispel dice personally. You should hit them so hard and so fast that they should lose some casters or anywhere to cast. Better to have those dice there to store just in case. I've found in my army I usually do 2 skinks and they follow behind casting the Portent of far. Typically on the Stegadons or cold Ones. i try to hit one unit with both steggies. Hit them, break them. Very little will survive terror, impact hits and 8 melle attacks, not counting the skinks. I overload one enemy unit and just try to decimate it, whatever it is, before moving on.
Nice list.